• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

Do you know anyone that RNG favors?
giphy.gif

only my opponents of course

fertygo

I content with getting 0 pack if Muzzy goes through :(

hope there is next time

for these dude most of time they can get this one big chance and highroll it,

Ladekabel

How many packs has Kolento earned me so far? Didn't keep up with it due to exams.

Will the Knights of the Frozen King have singleplayer content? If yes, I could see them giving out the alternate heroes as a reward for it.

Fewr

????

Godlento is one of the best HS players there is.
I picked him because someone mentioned him and I liked the name. I'm fairly new to this so I didn't know him.

I was amazed because at first I saw him lose against someone else, and thought he wouldn't get past groups.

about that...

What I mean is that I tend to play decks with low RNG and high consistency, which means that, on average, RNG factors tend to be more about my opponent than me. A good example: yesterday I was playing against a Burgle Rogue at rank 11, and I was using Demonlock. My RNG is 100% draw outside of Dark Peddler, and his deck is pretty much 90% RNG. Similarly, I played against a Reno Mage yesterday, and I figured he had a Polymorph. So I did the smart thing and baited it with a powerful minion (Fire Elemental) so I could safely play a more powerful one (Ragnaros). He Polymorphed it - success! So I laid down the big minion. He plays the 2/2 that lets you fetch a Mage/Priest/Warlock card (I forget the name), and gets Thoughtsteal. Then he uses Thoughtsteal and Hexes my Ragnaros.

That kind of stuff happens to me a lot, and most of my decks don't feature similar capacities. I'm not saying the RNG always lands against me, but that the number of RNG factors are usually higher in my opponent's deck, which means it tends to be something that works against me instead of in my favor.

What I mean is that I tend to play decks with low RNG and high consistency, which means that, on average, RNG factors tend to be more about my opponent than me. A good example: yesterday I was playing against a Burgle Rogue at rank 11, and I was using Demonlock. My RNG is 100% draw outside of Dark Peddler, and his deck is pretty much 90% RNG. Similarly, I played against a Reno Mage yesterday, and I figured he had a Polymorph. So I did the smart thing and baited it with a powerful minion (Fire Elemental) so I could safely play a more powerful one (Ragnaros). He Polymorphed it - success! So I laid down the big minion. He plays the 2/2 that lets you fetch a Mage/Priest/Warlock card (I forget the name), and gets Thoughtsteal. Then he uses Thoughtsteal and Hexes my Ragnaros.

That kind of stuff happens to me a lot, and most of my decks don't feature similar capacities. I'm not saying the RNG always lands against me, but that the number of RNG factors are usually higher in my opponent's deck, which means it tends to be something that works against me instead of in my favor.
No implosion? Anyways the lower amount of RNG you run makes every case of it matter more.
Take Ragnaros, he alone might decide the outcome of the game on odds as low as coin flips.
OTOH In your example the opponent played a card finding cards from 2 of the removal heaviest classes in the game, whiffed, tried again and hit a roguhly 1 in 8 (2/30x2).
The more you look and the more vague your search criteria are the more consistent RNG becomes.

The discover and random effects are a pain to play around though since they are in fact unpredictable.

No implosion? Anyways the lower amount of RNG you run makes every case of it matter more.
Take Ragnaros, he alone might decide the outcome of the game on odds as low as coin flips.
OTOH In your example the opponent played a card finding cards from 2 of the removal heaviest classes in the game, whiffed, tried again and hit a roguhly 1 in 8 (2/30x2).
The more you look and the more vague your search criteria are the more consistent RNG becomes.

The discover and random effects are a pain to play around though since they are in fact unpredictable.
No Implosion.

No, lower RNG doesn't make each case matter more - each case is just as likely to impact the game as if I had a high-RNG deck. There are just fewer opportunities for it.

Ragnaros honestly almost never decides games for me. In 99% of cases I play him with my opponent at near full HP with no minions on the board as a way to force them to use removal or get a lot of value out of him.

It's definitely not as game-turning as how the RNG favored him.

I'm not even complaining about this, so it's irritating that you're trying to turn it into a full argument.

ZZMitch

I don't mean these as rude questions, just curious ones: Do you have a high win percentage or lots of spare time? Or is ranking up not a priority? For me, it takes a ton of games at very low win percentages (e.g. 51-54%) to rank up.

I'd like to play up to rank 10 or better each month. With limited playing time, pretty much the only way to do this is with aggro. Otherwise, imagine I have 1.5 hours of playtime in a night. I might get 5 games in if they're all 20-ish minutes, and that only gains a couple of stars unless you have a very high win percentage.

Well most of my games are actually under 10 minutes anyway because most of the decks I play are aggressive decks that just concede if I take control of the board or they run out of cards. I usually play for an hour during my lunch break at work and probably similar amounts on the weekend. That is almost always enough to get me to rank 5 each month so I don't worry too much about my rank. I would say my win rate is a bit closer to 60% though.

I will admit my best record deck at the moment is murloc paladin, which is more of a midrange deck, at around 70% winrate over the last 50 games. My favorite decks to play is kazakus priest and cthun rouge though haha. Oh and my most favorite deck I made this expansion was a wall shaman with nzoth... games against control decks take a longgggggg time but you almost always win because you can go almost infinite with White Eyes 10/10 taunts by the end. Super fun deck above 50% winrate too which is nice!

No Implosion.

No, lower RNG doesn't make each case matter more - each case is just as likely to impact the game as if I had a high-RNG deck. There are just fewer opportunities for it.

Ragnaros honestly almost never decides games for me. In 99% of cases I play him with my opponent at near full HP with no minions on the board as a way to force them to use removal or get a lot of value out of him.

It's definitely not as game-turning as how the RNG favored him.

I'm not even complaining about this, so it's irritating that you're trying to turn it into a full argument.
Flip a coin 5 times then do it a hundred times over and compare results. The chances are identical but in the first case each flip impacts the overall score to a much higher degree than in the latter.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Lifesteal Clarifications

1. Mistress of Pain and Wickerflame Burnbistle will be modified so that their text becomes Lifesteal.
2. The Auchenai Soulpriest/Embrace the Shadows + Lifesteal interaction will now only trigger once and not kill you.
3. Hallazeal will not be changed to say "Your spells have Lifesteal". As he will remain as-is, he will continue to stack with himself.
4. Drain Life, Holy Fire, and Tidal Surge will not be changed to be Lifesteal spells. As they remain as is, they will not stack with spellpower as Lifesteal does.

So it seems their approach is that they don't want to buff/nerf previous cards by changing their effects to lifesteal, but they'll attach the lifesteal keyword if the functionality is the same.

Flip a coin 5 times then do it a hundred times over and compare results. The chances are identical but in the first case each flip impacts the overall score to a much higher degree than in the latter.
I don't think your case parallels Hearthstone. You're basically arguing that more RNG makes games more consistent. lol

Lifesteal Clarifications

1. Mistress of Pain and Wickerflame Burnbistle will be modified so that their text becomes Lifesteal.
2. The Auchenai Soulpriest/Embrace the Shadows + Lifesteal interaction will now only trigger once and not kill you.
3. Hallazeal will not be changed to say "Your spells have Lifesteal". As he will remain as-is, he will continue to stack with himself.
4. Drain Life, Holy Fire, and Tidal Surge will not be changed to be Lifesteal spells. As they remain as is, they will not stack with spellpower as Lifesteal does.

So it seems their approach is that they don't want to buff/nerf previous cards by changing their effects to lifesteal, but they'll attach the lifesteal keyword if the functionality is the same.
I suppose it's a good point that Hallazeal giving spells Lifesteal would technically be a very small nerf for him.

Drain Life doesn't steal more health if you have spellpower? That's just silly.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Drain Life doesn't steal more health if you have spellpower? That's just silly.
Because it's not called "spellpower", it's "Spell Damage" and it has never increased the bonus of heal cards in Hearthstone. In the case of Drain Life the Restore 2 HP is a separate effect from the damage.

Because it's not called "spellpower", it's "Spell Damage" and it has never increased the bonus of heal cards in Hearthstone. In the case of Drain Life the Restore 2 HP is a separate effect from the damage.
I get how it works mechanically, I just think that's dumb. The spell is called Drain Life. You should heal what you drain, thematically.

Well it's pretty likely warlock gets a lifesteal spell so having drain not be lifesteal is fine as it lets them print a potentially stronger lifesteal spell without overdoing it and giving them too much sustain.

Well it's pretty likely warlock gets a lifesteal spell so having drain not be lifesteal is fine as it lets them print a potentially stronger lifesteal spell without overdoing it and giving them too much sustain.
IDK. When was the last time Warlocks saw an in-class heal? They seem to want to give them ways to hurt themselves instead...and none of those cards ever see play. Chittering Tunneler, Cho'gall, and most of the self-damage demons are all unusable. The only exception, of course, is Flame Imp.

IDK. When was the last time Warlocks saw an in-class heal? They seem to want to give them ways to hurt themselves instead...and none of those cards ever see play. Chittering Tunneler, Cho'gall, and most of the self-damage demons are all unusable. The only exception, of course, is Flame Imp.

It's sort of a theme of their class. Sure they haven't gotten them recently but perhaps because of design reasons. But they do have drain life, sacrificial pact, and siphon soul in the classic set. Basically 3 damage/destroy = heal. They can't get too much sustain because of their hero power being so solid.

It's sort of a theme of their class. Sure they haven't gotten them recently but perhaps because of design reasons. But they do have drain life, sacrificial pact, and siphon soul in the classic set. Basically 3 damage/destroy = heal. They can't get too much sustain because of their hero power being so solid.
I wish Warlock had DoTs mixed with heals. That is my favorite class and playstyle in WoW, and it just doesn't exist in this game.

I definitely understand the huge risk of giving Warlocks heals, though.

Pooya

I'm playing quest priest. My rogue opponent goes ham and I deal with his stuff he is at 7 hp, he got mind vision from pirate and copied my Amara of course and game goes on forever because of it. I eventually killed his entire deck and won. He adds me, I accept.... Apparently I was crazy lucky and things like that followed by the usual stuff. I must say I was surprised actually in this case, I thought he had something nice to say because the game would have been over a long time ago if it wasn't because of his RNG, I didn't expect people to be this dense.

I'm playing quest priest. My rogue opponent goes ham and I deal with his stuff he is at 7 hp, he got mind vision from pirate and copied my Amara of course and game goes on forever because of it. I eventually killed his entire deck and won. He adds me, I accept.... Apparently I was crazy lucky and things like that followed by the usual stuff. I must say I was surprised actually in this case, I thought he had something nice to say because the game would have been over a long time ago if it wasn't because of his RNG, I didn't expect people to be this dense.
What gets me about these people is when the unfriend you immediately after their rage-out. Have the guts to stick around and hear my response, coward!

Lifesteal Clarifications

Wickerflame getting lifestyle will make the card a real pocket rocket.

EmiPrime

Never accept friend requests. Always let them stew.

Blizzard

Banned
Do the people who picked a 0-match-win player get a consolation pack for participating in the tournament? That's rough otherwise.

Mulgrok

Is it now the standard etiquette to let time run out if you are going to win or lose in the next turn? The vast majority of my opponents rope either way and it is starting to get very boring.

Blizzard

Banned
Is it now the standard etiquette to let time run out if you are going to win or lose in the next turn? The vast majority of my opponents rope either way and it is starting to get very boring.
People were roping constantly last night which made the games even longer. I'm used to it from priest players, but I wonder if the fireworks emote and brawl really did make people ragier.

Lyng

Baiting out the counterspells from a mage as quest rogue, and then he ofc gets a random one.
The nerf to quest rogue is fair, but man Hearthstone would be a much better game without the whole random spell crap.

Top Bottom