• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

Pooya

the cards were quite interesting. I'm not going to make any bold prediction, some of these are brand new territory. Mage hero card is good btw. One of the worst match ups for mage is control paladin. You basically shut down a lot from the class with this card. Slow? If there is one class that can play slow it's mage. You are seriously underestimating life steal on minions and how game flipping those can be.

Druid taunt generator is very interesting, you basically go full stall against zoo like decks. which are your worst enemy. Imagine buff on them too, it's gg. I think original midrange druid deck with violet teacher/power of wild could make a come back. I liked that deck a lot. I'm not sure what is the cost on the taunts in relation to devolve? if it's 5 it's very strong, could give a big boost to druid against shaman.

Rogue weapon is ok, it's good to have options but I'm not sure it's going to be good enough. Longbow is not a bad weapon, it just doesn't fit hunter and cost too much, maybe this one works out.

4 drop prince could be playable in rogue, the only 4 drop rogue plays is sherazin, I'm not sure if it's worth running but it's heal and taunt, it might be a good tech.

Freeze shaman seems really weird and completely new, it seems that you'd need many of the new cards so it's basically entirely new deck. I have no idea how good it's going to be but I'd be surprised if full freeze shaman is going to be a thing, you just take some of the cards that are good like the taunt, I think spirit echo is more desirable than this legendary. Apparently there is another freeze card which could change everything. The whole thing looked increasingly combo dependent and slow but it's interesting.

Dahbomb

That Defile card is nuts. Finally a great Warlock card that is playable in Handlock/Renolock.

They had to nerf Dreadsteed because of it LOL!

gutshot

So what classification do Hero Cards fall under do you think? Cause Quests were technically legendary Spells (which could pop up in related discover effects). They must be their own category altogether.

They are, in fact, a new card type.

And Quests could never pop up in Discover or via any other random spell generating card. They were technically Spells, but were treated differently.

wiibomb

defile might be my most hyped card in the set right now.

imagine that thing with thalnos... yeah.

Are they ever going to have the three hero portraits for less than $10? I want the warrior one but not for that much.

I believe that is a very far idea for the HS team, they are purely luxury items and they rarely discount anything on the game

They nerfed my Dreadsteed for that card? :(

Deathknight Jaina is a 5/5 card in Reno Mage.

Warrior card is 5/5.

Druid card is 4/5.

Lots of good stuff here.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Savzj mentioned malygos priest when talking about eternal servitude.

Seems like that would be a silly fun deck in wild.

Pooya

I really like both repeat cards, I hope there are more. It's probably the best new effect in the set. It adds to the game more things to play around and more tools to punish on curve only/ bad players. This direction is very good, I love it. A bunch of cards this set are like that and nothing random so far? They're increasing the skill cap, pretty good.

I saw the 0 cost beast the first thing that came to my mind was... miracle hunter lol.

V-Faction

Freeze shaman seems really weird and completely new, it seems that you'd need many of the new cards so it's basically entirely new deck. I have no idea how good it's going to be but I'd be surprised if full freeze shaman is going to be a thing, you just take some of the cards. Apparently there is another freeze card which could change everything. The whole looked increasingly combo dependent and slow but it's interesting.

I think Glacial Shard, Frost Elemental, and Frost Shock are a lock in those decks. 1-mana activators for your legendary or weapon. And because 2 of those are Elementals, maybe there's some synergy there.

+3/+3 and Freeze is actually fine on a minion that isn't going to be attacking much anyway. AKA Taunts like Tar Creepy (elemental) or Out-Of-My-Jungle (brings out more taunts). I don't know if I'd ever Freeze the opponent's minions, buuut maybe there's a case for it out there.

Voodoo Hexxer ain't bad with the buff either since it has a reactive ability to boot. 5/10 Taunt that Freezes all attackers.

EDIT: As for Moorabi, the Synergy he has with Frozen Crusher is pretty funny. Viable? Maybe not. I'll be curious to see if it works on minions already Frozen in-play. My bet is on no.

V-Faction

They are, in fact, a new card type.

And Quests could never pop up in Discover or via any other random spell generating card. They were technically Spells, but were treated differently.

I swear I've seen them come out of Elise packs as deadweight before (or something similar), but that isn't a Discover either, so what do I know.

TankUP

What current matchups do you think this helps?

I don't care about current match ups because the new meta is going to be very different. But where this gives warrior help in is every control match up.

Right now Warrior runs out of resources and threats while Priest has Medivh/Free from Amber and multiple Un'goro packs. Paladin's play multiple Tirions naturally and then resummon them all from Nzoth. Control Mage goes Medivh/Firelands Portal and has access to a ton of discover and card generation.

Well, now Warrior can shuffle multiple packs, multiple taunts, multiple bombs, more card draw, all back into their deck.

Warrior can run Acolyte of Pain AND Battle Rage in the same deck and draw as much as they want in control mirrors, something they've NEVER been able to do.

I don't know if this saves Control Warrior, or even makes it tier 2, but it's an exciting design and it fills a hole control warrior has needed filled FOREVER. I've been asking for value for Warrior forever and finally they listened.

sibarraz

Banned
Know what, I have found a new love for the game thanks to all this cards. It seems like blizzard is taking a more bold approach while designing their sets, making it feel more like real TCG were new concepts were introduced instead of just power creeping existing minions. And the digital space makes this even more exciting since you don't have the restrictions of physical. Also, the RNG doesn't seem to be that prominent yet.

I'm excited for the expansion since I don't know where is going to lead

Sheroking

Dropping 6/6s unconditionally is a bit different than dropping 3/6s if your ping kills something.

Yes, but you pay for Jaraxxus' win condition by putting yourself in danger of imminent death. Mage can completely recover. It doesn't put a clock on the game, you just need to survive the turn you play it - much like Jaraxxus.

From my perspective, it's a matter of whether there are enough good elementals for Mage to build a control deck around. It being a slow card isn't a death knell in Mage.

Shaman is getting absolutely fucked this expansion lol.

I mean the class is having success right but even still, why Blizzard thinks Shaman wants anything to do with Freeze is beyond me. Even control variants are unlikely to touch it. Why do I care about freezing stuff when I have Volcano and Hex?

At least Voodoo Hexxer is at least potentially playable I guess.

V-Faction

Shaman is getting absolutely fucked this expansion lol.

I mean the class is having success right but even still, why Blizzard thinks Shaman wants anything to do with Freeze is beyond me. Even control variants are unlikely to touch it. Why do I care about freezing stuff when I have Volcano and Hex?

At least Voodoo Hexxer is at least potentially playable I guess.

Tired of playing 2nd fiddle to Mages and their ice powers, Icecrown Shaman are revoking their Water license and switching to ICE-COLD FREEEEEZE POWERS.

Blizzard

Banned
I really like both repeat cards, I hope there are more. It's probably the best new effect in the set. It adds to the game more things to play around and more tools to punish on curve only/ bad players. This direction is very good, I love it. A bunch of cards this set are like that and nothing random so far? They're increasing the skill cap, pretty good.

I saw the 0 cost beast the first thing that came to my mind was... miracle hunter lol.
They've added a discover (which involves some RNG), a random dead Beast summoner (good bit of RNG), and a hunter secret generator (which is 100% RNG), and a random deathrattle minion geneator (which is 100% RNG).

TankUP

Shaman is getting absolutely fucked this expansion lol..

It's not like Shaman's good cards are going away... Shaman will be fine. That 2/7 taunt will be great in token Shaman to protect your tokens so they are alive for bloodlust. Everyone thought Shaman was going to die when Tunnel Trogg and Totem Golem got rotated, but here we are, Shaman is still tier one.

iirate

I'm pretty optimistic about these reveals. Frost Lich Jaina looks right at home in Strifecro-style grinder mages(which have always had potential to go mainstream) and I think the freeze shaman cards have real meta potential, too.

wiibomb

I just don't understand the Prince cards, they are sooo bad

there is always that legendary card that makes us feel terrible when we open it, Ozruk last expansion, and I happened to open 2 of those on my first packs.

Now, because they changed the packs to not have any dupe legendaries, guess who will fill role of the shitty legendary packs?

I thought they might had a synergy with another card, but that faith is now gone, they are just horrible

TankUP

I like it when they have legendaries that all have a subtheme -- it was fun collecting all four Old Gods, and it'll be fun collecting all three Princes. But I can't see myself putting them in any decks.

So, for collecting purposes, fun. For people who want to try and make bad cards work in wonky decks, fun. For budge Spikes who want to open cards that they can use in a deck, super unfun.

Blizzard

Banned
I like it when they have legendaries that all have a subtheme -- it was fun collecting all four Old Gods, and it'll be fun collecting all three Princes. But I can't see myself putting them in any decks.

So, for collecting purposes, fun. For people who want to try and make bad cards work in wonky decks, fun. For budge Spikes who want to open cards that they can use in a deck, super unfun.
Here's a free idea for Blizzard: A legendary drop should give you one free reroll when you open it that guarantees you a different non-dupe legendary.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I don't see the Princes getting played unless there becomes a reliable way to get them into your hand early.

Let the games begin, 0 mana spell: This card starts in your opening hand. Set your HP to 15, discard your hand, order your deck by mana cost, and draw 1 card.

Why not get your Levi account restored?

Here's a free idea for Blizzard: A legendary drop should give you one free reroll when you open it that guarantees you a different non-dupe legendary.

They aren't interested in ideas that help you get the cards you want. Plus, this would lead to people whining to customer support about how they want to take their re-roll back.

Per the stream "These are all three of the Princes."

I asked and didn't get an answer. If anyone is friends with a mod and can intercede on my behalf, great, but my emails to support were not answered so I gave up.
Wow, wtf @ the Princes then.

I would PM Nirolak, since he's a regular in this thread.

Edit: Also, I want you to go wild with theorycrafting Control Warrior in Wild with that new card. It would be amazing with C'Thun Warrior, N'Zoth Taunt Warrior, either Elise....

It's not like Shaman's good cards are going away... Shaman will be fine. That 2/7 taunt will be great in token Shaman to protect your tokens so they are alive for bloodlust. Everyone thought Shaman was going to die when Tunnel Trogg and Totem Golem got rotated, but here we are, Shaman is still tier one.

Not saying they won't be but outside of Hexxer these are essentially wasted cards so far. They could have given help to other archetypes, namely control Shaman which is right on the cusp of being a great deck. Maybe the Hero card will help out but who knows. What I do know is that Freeze Shaman isn't going to be a thing, at least not when the best support they can give it is +3/+3 and freeze.

iirate

4 mana 4/7 is not good enough especially with that amount of setup. You gotta res better stuff than that.

a 4 mana spell to try and revive a 4/7 minion isn't good.

this is towards more beefy minions, like ysera or charge devilisaur or primordial drake.

It's not about trying to combo Blademaster and this spell. If this theoretical deck needs more early game minion presence later, a shielded yeti isn't a bad consolation prize if your rez misses(or you need it on curve).

sibarraz

Banned
a 4 mana spell to try and revive a 4/7 minion isn't good.

this is towards more beefy minions, like ysera or charge devilisaur or primordial drake.

The problem with that logic, is that by turn 10 when you could any of those minions, you would have probably lost 5-8 minions, so you don't even know what else you could get.

A turn 4: 4/7 is still a decetly stated minion, and you can still play onyx bishop next turn if something happens to it.

Isn't exactly a meta defining play, but I could see it worthy of a try

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
You know what these are some good ass cards.

That priest card has TONS of uses. Getting to control what you can discover and essentially rig the game in your favor is insanely good.

DK Jaina is an amazing finisher for control mage. Reno Mage would love it also, 6/5 in that deck.

That warrior card is amazing as well. It gives so much value. Espeically for mid-late game warrior (Quest even?) decks. I think Quest Warrior can run it and still succeed.

DEFILE. Holy shit. That's a great spell. Really good card, Reno Warlock in Wild will love it and depending on what they get in the rest of the set Standard warlock might end up running it too. Great card.

Pooya

that warrior card seems more suitable for arcane giant warrior than control. Control doesn't have the card draw to get those things and fatigue win condition is not good anymore. Decks have game ending cards and infinite resources with the hero cards. You're not going to beat most things with that in your deck. Most of the time you don't want to play it, it's completely dead.

Now combo/battle rage warrior deck with blood warrior was already tried, this card effectively gives it infinite resources if you set it up well. It's like a more explosive jade druid.

Dahbomb

The only thing I dislike about Dreadsteed is the animation it plays because it takes forever trying to run your Dreadsteed into minions.

This change should fix that issue.

TankUP

Control doesn't have the card draw to get those things

This card means you can run a heavy cycle package in control warrior now. Warrior has one of the best draw cards in the game with Battle Rage, the problem is that cwar never actually wanted to draw a lot of cards before because it doesn't want to get to fatigue faster than their opponent.

I really like your idea of generating tons of Arcane Giants. My first thought was running a cycle-heavy Nzoth deck. Getting multiple Nzoth and Elises or packs in your deck when you have the draw to get to them quickly seems strong to me. Maybe you even run Ancient Harbinger in that deck so you can tutor Nzoth out, make it more likely to get duped.

Top Bottom