• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

Baron Rivendare sucks with Dreadsteed now.

How will Umbra work with it? If you kill the Dreadsteed, it comes back at the end of your turn...but will that proc since it's the end of your turn already?

TankUP

Baron Rivendare sucks with Dreadsteed now.

How will Umbra work with it? If you kill the Dreadsteed, it comes back at the end of your turn...but will that proc since it's the end of your turn already?

It won't proc. If Y'Shaarj pulls Ysera, it doesn't proc, so I assume Dreadsteed will be the same way.

I'm sorry Dreadsteed had to die, but it gave itself for a good cause. Defile is an amazing card.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Dreadsteed clearly couldn't work with defile how it was going to, both because it would be op and turns would be stuck in a loop. So just hard code dreadsteed not to regenerate until after defile is done. Don't kill an interesting minion with interesting interactions unnecessarily, that is just stupid.

Dart

Great cards shown, really excited for this expansion despite priest only having two cards shown so far but seeing all these other class cards is refreshing. Please phase out pirate warrior.

Also they mentioned on the stream we will be seeing the remaining deathknight hero cards next week. Not too excited about them it's more like extra

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Its likely for the best, any card the instantly revives limits design space all around. It prevents any kind of "Damage card when summoned" type effect.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Great cards shown, really excited for this expansion despite priest only having two cards shown so far but seeing all these other class cards is refreshing. Please phase out pirate warrior.

Also they mentioned on the stream we will be seeing the remaining deathknight hero cards next week. Not too excited about them it's more like extra

With seven left it's likely one per day. I'm excited about it. Most interesting mechanics to me.

I wonder if shamans death knight hero power freezes an enemy.

TankUP

Dreadsteed clearly couldn't work with defile how it was going to, .

And what other future cards would Dreadsteed have broken? And what past cards were never printed because of Dreadsteed?

Dreadsteed in its current form obviously needed to go. It's not good or interesting enough to justify it hogging all that design space.

fertygo

How the repeat card work guys?

For Defile.. if its kill 1hp cast again and repeat again if it kill again?
Same again for Druid taunt card that basically unleash till equal amount?

wiibomb

How the repeat card work guys?

For Defile.. if its kill 1hp cast again and repeat again if it kill again?
Same again for Druid taunt card that basically unleash till equal amount?

yup, exactly like that.

it can also scale with spell damage, so it can get really nasty with thalnos

Tacitus_

yup, exactly like that.

it can also scale with spell damage, so it can get really nasty with thalnos

What I wonder is how it works with the spell power dying. Does it keep doing 2s or will it update between casts. I feel that it updates since they called it recasting.

wiibomb

What I wonder is how it works with the spell power dying. Does it keep doing 2s or will it update between casts. I feel that it updates since they called it recasting.

yeah, I think it might update since it is a complete recast of the spell and each casting is independent of each other.

Dart

Yeah that's my thought too, otherwise I think it would have been worded to something like deal 1 damage if it kills a minion deal 1 damage again, where if scaled would stay that way until done chaining

actually... oh boy, there is a infinite combo there.

3/3 patron + 3/2 patron + 3/1 patron and cast defile = infinite combo.

123 01323 0231323 this is where it depends on how it stacks the 0 dies triggers defile then we end up with 13230231323 which is too many for the board dunno how it goes from there, I would assume we'd eventually lose a 1 patron to trigger defile.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So you have a vanilla 0/1, vanilla 0/2, and 3/3 patron. Lets see.

If the bodies block others from spawning.
0: v1 v2 3
1: v1 2 3
2: 1 2 3 3
2.5: 0 1 2 2 3 3 3
3: 1 2 2 3 3 3
3.5: 0 1 1 2 2 2 3
4: 1 1 2 2 2 3
4.5: 0 0 1 1 1 2 3
5: 1 1 1 2 3
5.5 0 0 0 1 2 3 3
6: 1 2 3 3

If the Minions is cleared and allowed to spread instead

0: v1 v2 3
1: v1 2 3
2: 1 2 3 3
3: 1 2 2 3 3 3
4: 1 1 2 2 2 3 3
5: 1 1 1 2 2 3 3
6: 1 1 2 2 3 3 3
7: 1 1 2 2 2 3 3

So it should start looping pretty early on. Wonder what Blizard did so it doesn't.

thinking.gif

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
so what, the game decided to become interesting after 2 years of shit? and it all started happening just as I stopped playing HS?

fucking hate myself for stopping now.

there's already a thread on this on reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/6q7475/for_anybody_curious_this_is_the_pattern_that/

it would go infinite and posessed villager alone would be enough to trigger the loop, unchanged that'd mean warlock has the option for 8 mana to draw the game

This is probably not how it works. They're assuming minions are being removed from the board and thus freeing up new slots for grim patrons to fill infinitely. We know from how mechanics work that minions aren't removed from the board until the very end. Chances are it will fill the board til there are no slots and then stop.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
This is probably not how it works. They're assuming minions are being removed from the board and thus freeing up new slots for grim patrons to fill infinitely. We know from how mechanics work that minions aren't removed from the board until the very end. Chances are it will fill the board til there are no slots and then stop.

Yep. Same thing happened with Mini Rag during that Tavern Brawl a few weeks ago.

Yep. Same thing happened with Mini Rag during that Tavern Brawl a few weeks ago.

They're assuming every time it goes off it's like casting a new spell. But no, it's not gonna work that way. You're casting one spell that keeps dealing 1 aoe damage until it no longer kills a minion. It wouldn't work the other way. If it's like you're actually casting a spell 10+ different times, you'd be playing it from hand and each spell would count as a spell for purposes of yogg/arcane giant etc..

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
They're assuming every time it goes off it's like casting a new spell. But no, it's not gonna work that way. You're casting one spell that keeps dealing 1 aoe damage until it no longer kills a minion. It wouldn't work the other way. If it's like you're actually casting a spell 10+ different times, you'd be playing it from hand and each spell would count as a spell for purposes of yogg/arcane giant etc..

Every time it goes off, it will go off like casting a new spell.

1.) Because that's what the card says it does, it casts it again.
2.) If death processing didn't occur between each pulse of defile, then they wouldn't have the broken interaction with Dreadsteed that they already mentioned. Dreadsteed would simply have the "to be destroyed" tag attached and each subsequent pulse would overkill the first Dreadsteed. But since they confirmed it breaks with Dreadsteed, then that confirms that it's also broken with this particular Grim Patron setup.

Nachos

Every time it goes off, it will go off like casting a new spell.

1.) Because that's what the card says it does, it casts it again.
2.) If death processing didn't occur between each pulse of defile, then they wouldn't have the broken interaction with Dreadsteed that they already mentioned. Dreadsteed would simply have the "to be destroyed" tag attached and each subsequent pulse would overkill the first Dreadsteed. But since they confirmed it breaks with Dreadsteed, then that confirms that it's also broken with this particular Grim Patron setup.
Yeah, Blizzard tends to choose its language pretty precisely. "Cast" is already an established word and with a pretty set and understood meaning. If they didn't want it to count as separate casts, they would've used a different, maybe new word. It's the reason why Greater Arcane Missiles uses "shoot", even though it's the only card in the game to do that – all the other established words would imply things that don't apply to it.

Maybe they did choose the wrong term and will change the wording, like with Druid of the Claw, but for right now, I'm going with each repetition counting as a separate casting.

We'll have to see it in play, but the card text says "cast this spell again", which is pretty specific.

If it did, I'd hate it more. Infinite combos are bullshit, unfun to play against and detrimental to the game. There were certain brawls where if I faced a Warlock, it came down turn 4 and basically won the game.

Nuke it from orbit.

Do you hate Jaraxxus, too?

What about Lakkari Portal?

Dahbomb

There's a big difference between Jaraxxus/Lakkari and Dreadsteed.

There's no real a usable combos you can do with Lakkari and Jaraxxus. They put bodies on the board. Jaraxxus has more potential to be busted of they had more ways in the game to use hero powers like Garrison commander or lower your hero power cost to zero.

Issue with Dreadsteed is that it triggers powerful combos that can win the game by themselves if Blizzard isn't careful about printing specific cards like Defiled. Like what if there was a card that said "Trigger your Deathrattles, if you still have Deathrattles cast again"... seems pretty innucous most DR resolve after a couple of plays but Dreadsteed is infinite in its DR summoning so you can pair their new spell and Knife Juggler and OTK your opponent.

Or "Your Deathrattle minions have charge" type card. That means Dreadsteeds could blow up a board and you can still pair up with Knife Juggler to board clear and do big damage. There was a Brawl like this where your minions had charge and taunt I believe, Dreadsteed owned everyone.

Not to mention that during these combos you have to sit through that long ass resummoning animation. It's the equivalent of someone YGOing you while you go to the bathroom while they resolve their turn.

Man, I really wanted this to be the expansion that made Dreadsteed viable.

Couldn't they have just capped Defile at 10 casts?

We're rumored to get board-wide enchants this expansion, and I think THAT is the real reason Dreadsteed got deleted.

I crafted both of my Dreadsteeds in the last year. I WANT A REFUND.

Blizzard

Banned
Man, I really wanted this to be the expansion that made Dreadsteed viable.

Couldn't they have just capped Defile at 10 casts?

We're rumored to get board-wide enchants this expansion, and I think THAT is the real reason Dreadsteed got deleted.

I crafted both of my Dreadsteeds in the last year. I WANT A REFUND.
I thought this sounded familiar and yep:

I JUST BEAT A PIRATE WARRIOR WITH DREADLOCK! YEAH!

Actually, if the rumors about us getting "Auras" to play on the board are true, then Dreadlock might become a legitimate archetype. It just needs something to make the Dreadsteeds better than 1/1s, because right now I get a full board, my opponent plays N'Zoth or a Kazakus Potion, and it doesn't even matter - lol!

RIP your planned archetype, too beautiful for this world.

dreadsteed broke too many brawls tbh. of course patron comes close too but that's an adventure card so less likely to touch it.

btw do we have a list of tags in this thread somewhere? i like people to watch and play if wanna try diff stuff out. i play a lot of wild decks trying diff ways to build things. i'm SonicXtreme#1343 on NA server

Wow the free arena runs these past few weeks reminded me why I never bother with arena with my own gold. Shit drafts for me with no good minions/synergies/spells, and immediately come up against people with on curve plays, ragnaros/tirions. Yeah keep this shit away from me, I deal with enough bullshit RNG on normal play where I don't pay gold to get smacked around by people with far superior decks.

TankUP

A CM confirmed in reddit that Dreadsteed will be disenchantable for full value KOTFT releases and this change goes live.

Top Bottom