• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
It's more of a zoo than a control card.

Why would zoo ever want to discard a card from the opponent's decks?

Until they do something to make deck order matter, this might as well say "discard from the bottom of the deck".

zoukka

Why would zoo ever want to discard a card from the opponent's decks?

Until they do something to make deck order matter, this might as well say "discard from the bottom of the deck".

Because every and then you burn their heal/taunt and it matters. It's completely random, but sometimes beneficial.

Pooya

They're probably going to add more things that interact with deck order in future hence this card existing.

Right now the way the game works is that every time you shuffle a card in your deck, it re-shuffles your entire deck, your deck is not fixed. This was confirmed by Brode, it's the way their technology works. They probably have to change that if they're adding things like that.

They had Mike Elliot, magic designer, contribute to this set and next set. I imagine more magic like things will be added to the game.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Because every and then you burn their heal/taunt and it matters. It's completely random, but sometimes beneficial.

Or maybe you burn something that isn't their heal/taunt and then they're one turn closer to drawing a heal/taunt. It all evens out in the end.

Cat Party

That Warlock card is filthy. You don't have to hit a homerun and remove the win condition for it to be worthwhile. Gaining information about what your opponent cannot do for the rest of the game is invaluable.

I'm really surprised to see a card like that but I guess the design / goal of Hearthstone has shifted since its inception. Shame it's not discard though, so any interactions with discard cards would work.

Play this on turn two, accidentally summon your opponent's Silverware Golem for them.

I doubt it sees play. They're not going to print enough of these cards to make it a viable archetype. If this was a rogue card, sure. But warlock? Probably zero chance. To begin with, you're not running this in zoo. Zoo games never go to fatigue. Oh, you removed a taunt. Well, there was a solid chance that taunt would never have been drawn anyway. I'm not convinced warlock fatigue decks will be a thing, unless they add several other new cards this set to make it work.

I think the best chance it sees play is in control but considering the style of decks that have worked in the past for warlock, even there it's very doubtful. You want cards that impact the board faster rather than cards that accellerate your opponent's fatigue by a single turn. You often win off cards like jaraxxus and alexstrasza, not fatigue.

Could be the weakest card of the set so far unless I am missing something. I guess it occasionally high rolls against combo decks reliant on a few specific cards.

That card is bad and will only see meme play, but when you do see it, it will feel really bad.

Still waiting on official translation.

Gnomish Vampire
Battlecry: Remove the top card from your opponent's deck.
Just disgusting and terrible design.

Unless games regularly go to fatigue, the effect doesn't matter (except against combo decks, but I'm not crying in a quest mage loses a Sorcerer's Apprentice). There's no functional difference between losing a card and having it be the 30th card in your deck.
Oops, you just discarded N'Zoth! GG!

New card from JudgeHype;

636370129606578102.png

Kinda neat, works well with that one drop.

Edit: Guess I'm always late.

Pooya

warsong commander died for this. This is a very good card for the combo warrior I'm theory crafting. nice. It seems that they're trying to bring a patron warrior like deck back to the game. I like it.

they added not death's bite and not grim patron in this set so far and a way to possibly generate infinite resources in a deck like that.

zoukka

Or maybe you burn something that isn't their heal/taunt and then they're one turn closer to drawing a heal/taunt. It all evens out in the end.

I know yet cards like that 3/4 that gave both players spells saw some play. In other TCG's a card like that would've been horribad, but for some reason in HS it wasn't unplayable. Also this card gives you information about the opposing deck.

Dahbomb

Holy shit that Warlock card!

I can't believe Blizzard had the guts to make something like that. Kudos to them.

The card is still bad BUT if there ever was a Fatigue Warlock then you would play two of those in that deck.

Oh man this card in Wild with Bran and Brewmaster... LOL!

This expansion is shaping up to be my favorite thus far. Just an insane amount of new mechanics which is what I have wanted from expansions.

JesseZao

They had Mike Elliot, magic designer, contribute to this set and next set. I imagine more magic like things will be added to the game.

I'm very encouraged by this. Get new blood in there with card game experience. I only knew of Mike from other board/card games, but I think the game needs the maturity of Magic to thrive long term.

Dahbomb

Milling a single card in a control vs control match up is a big deal especially if both control decks have limited resources.

Milling a card against an aggro deck or even a midrange matters very little. Against those decks you are likely to not play out your whole deck.

Since this card is only good in a control vs control type situation, it is in fact not a good card. But we haven't seen all the cards yet so let's see where they go with this if anywhere.

Fewr

I love how controversial these cards have been. I think they're more interesting than un'goro's taunt taunt taunt taunt cards.

These seem harder to play at least for an inexperienced player like me.

Haha I knew someone would bring up YGO.

That card is banned though.
which card? discard hand draw 7 is an iconic MTG card, the effect is called wheel for a reason
185.jpg

Milling a single card in a control vs control match up is a big deal especially if both control decks have limited resources.

Milling a card against an aggro deck or even a midrange matters very little. Against those decks you are likely to not play out your whole deck.

Since this card is only good in a control vs control type situation, it is in fact not a good card. But we haven't seen all the cards yet so let's see where they go with this if anywhere.
That's where I'm at. This would even rank fairly low if I was teching against control.

Azindels-Gift.png

Reoccurring in Eternal.

Discard effects aren't bad, but considering the situation warlock is in, already drawing off hero power, discarding cards, jaraxxus... they're not playing a fatigue plan so why bother devoting resources to that effect.

Magnus

You can prevent getting charged in the face by taunts and you can heal yourself (I'm not saying it's efficient, just giving an example of what people mean by interactive).

There's nothing the other player can do to prevent one of their card being discarded, there's no deck manipulation in the game.

Fair enough, but aren't most battlecries non-interactive then? Say, one that kills or silences a minion. I can't do anything to prevent that if I'm on the receiving end.

Still not understanding why that would be ok but this warlock card wouldn't.

Where is the line drawn?

No deck manipulation? Dead man's hand, elise... there are more than that. That warrior taunt that adds a stronger taunt to deck. Shaman has white eyes. Even hunter can thicken their deck with their 1 drop.

There's this one which is the most similar.

3Jz2Cgv.png

There are other Jar cards in Yugioh though, this one is quite dumb

XB0BGQr.png
I raise you
129.jpg

They banned this before or days after it was released.
No deck manipulation? Dead man's hand, elise... there are more than that. That warrior taunt that adds a stronger taunt to deck. Shaman has white eyes. Even hunter can thicken their deck with their 1 drop.
No topdeck manipulation.

For the longest time I have wanted Priest to get a scry effect. Look at your top card and choose whether to out it on the bottom of your deck or keep it there.

Azindels-Gift.png

Reoccurring in Eternal.

Discard effects aren't bad, but considering the situation warlock is in, already drawing off hero power, discarding cards, jaraxxus... they're not playing a fatigue plan so why bother devoting resources to that effect.
In average Renolock decks, there are at least 9 essential cards in the control matchup:
Jaraxxus
Leeroy
Manipulator
PO
Reno
N'Zoth
Twisting Nether
Brann
Kazakus

So you have a good chance of forcing a Renolock to discard a VERY high profile card. I will run this in my Renolock deck for a while and see how often it gives me the win.

The top aggro decks in Wild also have key cards that let them function. Murloc Warleader, Arcanite Reaper, Leeroy, and Living Mana come to mind. If I made my opponent discard any of these I would be overjoyed. Not to mention things like Tirion. Imagine if your Control Paladin lost Tirion - poof, gone! That might only happen one out of 10 games, but that doesn't sound too bad to me.

Fair enough, but aren't most battlecries non-interactive then? Say, one that kills or silences a minion. I can't do anything to prevent that if I'm on the receiving end.

Still not understanding why that would be ok but this warlock card wouldn't.

Where is the line drawn?
The word "interactive" in Hearthstone means that there are things I can do to reduce the potential effect an opponent of mine might inflict upon me. A silence isn't non-interactive, because I can choose what I play for them to silence. Wild Control Shaman has multiple cards in its deck just for baiting out hard removal so that their big stuff can survive. That is interaction.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
https://hsreplay.net/replay/H7o5HGYGkkC9JrXSCPtP82

200.gif

I know yet cards like that 3/4 that gave both players spells saw some play. In other TCG's a card like that would've been horribad, but for some reason in HS it wasn't unplayable. Also this card gives you information about the opposing deck.

Spellslinger gives both players random spells. Other TCGs don't really do that. Also I'm not sure why you're making the comparison?

And while it gives you information about the opposing deck, I'm assuming it also gives that information to your opponent as well, so they gain that information too. Again, it's a wash.

Cat Party

Again, you don't need to win the game with the Warlock minion for it to be good. Denying a resource to your opponent and gaining the corresponding information is valuable.

And there isn't really a lot of competition at 2 mana in Warlock right now.

wiibomb

I gotta say, I'm enjoying so much all these polarizing cards.

I don't think I've ever seen so much discussion about the benefit of cards to the game's design. The closes was when I questioned glimmeroot text design (I still think that should be the most text a HS should have.

This set either expands HS design space, or break it enough to never touch those mechanics again.

Again, you don't need to win the game with the Warlock minion for it to be good. Denying a resource to your opponent and gaining the corresponding information is valuable.

And there isn't really a lot of competition at 2 mana in Warlock right now.
It's a control card and there it's worse than lifetap.
The top aggro decks in Wild also have key cards that let them function. Murloc Warleader, Arcanite Reaper, Leeroy, and Living Mana come to mind. If I made my opponent discard any of these I would be overjoyed. Not to mention things like Tirion. Imagine if your Control Paladin lost Tirion - poof, gone! That might only happen one out of 10 games, but that doesn't sound too bad to me.
So in your estimation you'd be milling an irrelevant card 9 out of 10 times which increases their chances to draw a relevant by at least 1/24?

zoukka

And while it gives you information about the opposing deck, I'm assuming it also gives that information to your opponent as well, so they gain that information too. Again, it's a wash.

wat

I mean information about what netdeck they are playing and what cards they cannot have in their hand.

Top Bottom