• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

TankUP

Big stat piles is not what pirate warrior wants at all.

I agree that it's a bad card, but Bittertide Hydra is used in the most popular pirwar list right now, and that's a big pile of stats with a drawback.

The biggest drawback to this one is that you don't always have a weapon equipped.

Portugeezer

Did Blizzard clarify how the pirate card adds stats? Like the Attack is added to it's attack and the durability is added to it's health? Or the attack is added to both attack and health? That text is super confusing.
It doesn't say weapon's attack, must be attack and health/durability.

Since it's "summon", I wonder how it works with that Druid legendary.
Depends on how the new legendary works. If it's a random order, then it'll depend when it gets summoned, eg; first or last.

I don't know how something like the N'Zoth effect works though. If it's counted all at once, then it probably wouldn't work regardless.

Dahbomb

Did Blizzard clarify how the pirate card adds stats? Like the Attack is added to it's attack and the durability is added to it's health? Or the attack is added to both attack and health? That text is super confusing.
There's no way that the attack would be added to both, we are talking about a card that could easily become a 4 mana 8/8 with an Arcanite Reaper equipped..

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
rBUvXYH.jpg

hooray

Hybris

Thanks! I'll try to adapt it a bit. Don't have sherazin or patches or vile spines so I can probably fit questing and tar creepers easily.

I'd recommend violet teacher or xaril @ 4 if you have it. Fireflys can replace the 3 1 drops as they have good synergy with questing and they are great early game minions. I'd run at least 1 sap since you don't have vilespines, possibly 2.

Ketch

I'd recommend violet teacher or xaril @ 4 if you have it. Fireflys can replace the 3 1 drops as they have good synergy with questing and they are great early game minions. I'd run at least 1 sap since you don't have vilespines, possibly 2.

Ok great thanks. I've got all of those cards.

Edit: won my first game with it too. Very tasty deck.

I can't figure out where to fit the saps in.... should I take out a swashburgler?

Hybris

Ok great thanks. I've got all of those cards.

Nice, good luck! It's a challenging deck to pilot but it's the most rewarding deck I've played in hearthstone so far. There's nothing else quite like it. I always find myself coming back to it no matter what expansion we're in.

Mulgrok

I don't understand how people can go 4-0 let alone 8-0 with pirate warrior right now. Every other game I tried with it last night I would basically not draw a weapon in 8 cards, have an endless series of taunts in quest warrior, have freeze/secret mage delay the game, or have some other mechanism that prevented me from doing enough consistent damage.

However, I'm at a rank floor and you were near the bottom of a rank I guess. My rank's meta is basically totally random right now.

I was playing secret mage. i have those problems with pirate warrior and usually end up with 50% win rate using it.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I agree that it's a bad card, but Bittertide Hydra is used in the most popular pirwar list right now, and that's a big pile of stats with a drawback.

The biggest drawback to this one is that you don't always have a weapon equipped.

Which is a pretty big drawback really. It makes this into a completely dead card when you don't have a weapon. You would never play a 4 mana 3/3 in that deck. You'd much rather play an 8/8 that might kill you (though lets be real it's not likely since the game will be over in 2 turns either way) than this card. Even with a weapon, Bittertide is looking better. More stats and the drawback isn't relevant since you're going face 90% of the time anyhow. I just think the drawback here is too big. Which I think we agree on.

There's no way that the attack would be added to both, we are talking about a card that could easily become a 4 mana 8/8 with an Arcanite Reaper equipped..

Thanks to a redditor who did all the math, here's your stats for all the relevant weapons with full durability (assuming attack goes to attack and durability to HP, cause fuck us all if it doesn't work that way):
  • Fiery War Axe / Shadowblade / Rallying Blade / Deadly poison: 6/5
  • N'zoth's First Mate: 4/6
  • Arcanite Reaper: 8/5
  • Rogue hero Power: 4/5
  • Truesilver Chamption: 7/5
  • Assassin's Blade: 6/7
  • Doomhammer: 5/11

So the best possible play with this to me seems like (in Wild) Turn 3 Muster For Battle into turn 4 4/6 or 4/7 in Paladin. That's probably not what you want to do with your turn 4, but hey there it is.

So yeah this card exists for some future mid-range pirate deck that we can't see yet because any of the aggro focused ones that exist now would not run this card.

TankUP

Which is a pretty big drawback really. It makes this into a completely dead card when you don't have a weapon.

Yeah the card doesn't see play, I was mostly just saying PirWar is happy to run big minions if they can get them out cheap.

wiibomb

Yeah but that's almost never going to be the case. How often do you play a fiery war axe and not attack with it for 2 turns as pirate warrior?

but there are high chances of upgrading the war axe, hell, even a 2/3 hook might make that pirate rather huge.

it might work, it might not, but I kind of see potential in that.

TankUP

But what would you cut from current pirate warrior to get it?

I think you play it instead of Bittertide in Budget PirWar lists. Possible it sees play in a midrange/tempo pirate deck, maybe in Rogue or Warrior, if there's ever a reason to run a list like that.

wiibomb

bittertide is not budgetPW, it is another type of pirate that relies a little more on tempo. I had to use that PW to get to legend. Sometimes those tempo stats are needed to win.

I don't think this new pirate will be a must have in the PW lists, but it can be a substitute of the usual 4 slots like spellbreaker (run in a lot of PW these days), bitttertide hydra or naga corsair.

TankUP

Xzirez-Pirate-Warrior.png

This is the most popular PirWar list right now. I don't think the new card makes the cut, although I think it'd be okay to test the new card in the Naga slot.

Pooya

the hero power sucks a lot imo but the battle cry can be very powerful. . I don't see this being worthwhile. Probably the worst one of the ones revealed so far. You got to have something to evolve with that hero power and it's 2 mana every time. Where you're going to get that when you no longer have totems. I'd say it's very similar to dinomancy, maybe worse even. It only cost 5 though, it's not that bad. Maybe you can just play this for some kind of finisher, it's not exactly good for long/value games unlike other hero cards.

zoukka

Needs a new deck type possibly to work. Totem spam is too important for shaman. Then again, Doppelgangster + evolve is a comeback combo in the deck, not something you aim at (bloodlust being that) so maybe this can be a similar effect for the deck.

If some slower shaman deck emerges this might see play with some expensive battlecry minions and jades, hard to say.

the hero power sucks a lot imo but the battle cry can be very powerful. . I don't see this being worthwhile. Probably the worst one of the ones revealed so far. You got to have something to evolve with that hero power and it's 2 mana every time. Where you're going to get that when you no longer have totems. I'd say it's very similar to dinomancy, maybe worse even. It only cost 5 though, it's not that bad. Maybe you can just play this for some kind of finisher, it's not exactly good for long/value games unlike other hero cards.
The power of evolving is making value trades and then recycling the minion. this hero card doesn't fit current evolve shaman because there's next to no minions worth that investment. It could be great in jade and elemental shaman though.

wiibomb

the battlecry is very powerful obviously, in fact, a dopplegangster + hero card can make a very impactful board by itself.

The hero power might be lacking, but somehow think this could be of use in the elemental shaman decks. spell damage is important, but I think it becomes a second thought after using this card on a meaningful board.

TankUP

If I have a wide board of evolve targets and 5 mana, why wouldn't I just use Bloodlust instead? Winning the game seems better than praying to RNGesus.

Magnus

I don't understand the rationale behind letting a site debut a new Death Knight hero card in a joke article that is focused on creating an impossible deck that mixes class cards.

Also, forgive me for questioning this, but isn't this new hero power far more desirable for end game Shaman than the standard totem one? I'd say trading out minions and then upgrading for what will likely be a stronger one that's instantly refreshed to full health is way more impactful than summoning a 1/1 or 0/2 taunt or whatever. When has summoning a totem mattered much after turn 8 etc?

Dahbomb

Yeah but that's almost never going to be the case. How often do you play a fiery war axe and not attack with it for 2 turns as pirate warrior?
The times where I have an upgraded War Axe in hand (4/2). Even an upgraded Rusty Hook means this becomes an overstated minion.

It'a definitely possible that it is a win more type card though. I think you can compare it to Naga Corsair in some ways (you get a beefier minion with a weapon versus a beefier weapons). I still think it's probably worse than Naga Corsair though.

The Shaman Death knight seems aimed at the Evolve deck that people play from time to time. Being evolve Battlecry heavy minions on demand can be powerful. But the hero power isn't even significantly better than the totems for an Evolve Shaman.

wiibomb

If I have a wide board of evolve targets and 5 mana, why wouldn't I just use Bloodlust instead? Winning the game seems better than praying to RNGesus.

because sometimes (I often find this outcome) the face is being obstruct by pesky taunts, so I actually might want to try my luck at something much bigger instead of killing my board to those taunts (and also, not killing my opponent). I mean, it's pretty clear to my opponent when I have a perfect bloodlust board.

however, I still think this shouldn't be used in the current token shaman deck, this is more fit to a greedier deck, like the jade-elemental archetype.

EDIT: I also think that hero power should cost 1, not 2.

Pooya

Exactly. I have a hard time making a case for this card. It's always worse than bloodlust. If you manage to stick a bunch of guys, you just bloodlust and win, the combo is very different and it's only 6 mana 2 cards, this is 5 mana. The hero power actually doesn't add longevity to your deck. It doesn't give you a card. Hunter's gives you a OP beast everytime, mage one can play a card on board. This one might make your cards better if you're lucky for 2 mana. Yeah, no...

Evolve shaman doesn't play minions worth upgrading 1 by 1. You want minions with powerful battlecries or with stats that make them great at trading so you can upgrade it afterwards.

You're probably not even playing this and evolve in the same deck.

This is definitely a good card. A great card that sees play? Hard to say. It's weird that there has been so much about Shaman freezing stuff, and then the DK has nothing to do with that.

Evolve shaman doesn't play minions worth upgrading 1 by 1. You want minions with powerful battlecries or with stats that make them great at trading so you can upgrade it afterwards.

You're probably not even playing this and evolve in the same deck.
You definitely want Evolve in this deck. Because one, you won't always get the hero card. Two, Evolve helps in case you get a bad minion shift.

You definitely want Evolve in this deck. Because one, you won't always get the hero card. Two, Evolve helps in case you get a bad minion shift.
You shouldn't depend on the hero card and your deck shouldn't be build around evolve but jade, elementals, both or other value builds. When you play a jade spirit then get to evolve it to a 6 drop that's the idea behind the HP for me.

You shouldn't depend on the hero card and your deck shouldn't be build around evolve but jade, elementals, both or other value builds. When you play a jade spirit then get to evolve it to a 6 drop that's the idea behind the HP for me.
I think cards like Blazecaller and Fire Elemental, with weak stats, are also good targets.

Jades... IDK. Once they get to 8/8 evolving them to a 10 drop probably isn't a good idea.

The best part of Evolve is the effective heal.

wiibomb

I think cards like Blazecaller and Fire Elemental, with weak stats, are also good targets.

Jades... IDK. Once they get to 8/8 evolving them to a 10 drop probably isn't a good idea.

The best part of Evolve is the effective heal.

its pretty difficult for jade shamans to get to 8/8.

I think I've got there once or twice in all my elemental shaman games, most of the time they get to 4/4 or 5/5 since there is another synergy in the deck.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
It'a definitely possible that it is a win more type card though. I think you can compare it to Naga Corsair in some ways (you get a beefier minion with a weapon versus a beefier weapons). I still think it's probably worse than Naga Corsair though.

I agree, it is certainly worse than Naga Corsair. Which is all that really needs to be said. That card is already one of the weaker includes in the list (often times being cut to 1 of or removed), that makes this card not strong enough.

The shaman card is interesting, but yeah that hero power is pretty weak. 2 mana for a 1 minion evolve without a way to generate tokens is pretty lackluster. The battlecry is really good though. I agree the appropriate comparison is Bloodlust. So this isn't going to give +3 atk uniformly, but it will give HP as well as some Armor for your hero. It's probably worth playing in some midrage versions of shaman. Getting 4 cost minions into 6 cost is pretty damn good. Hell play it in Jade/Elemental Shaman and make those 2/2 and 3/3 jades into better minions.

Top Bottom