• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
So uh, I feel like no one is talking about something with that Hunter card.

It says Deathrattle cards NOT Deathrattle minions. Why would they differentiate that except if Hunter is getting a Deathrattle weapon perhaps? That might be cool. OR DEATHRATTLE SPELLS????

I'd be into the idea of a spell that does something, then whenever that effect ends it does something else. That's a cool idea.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
It's pretty good with Medivh, Mage doesn't have any other 8 cost spells. Probably still won't see play, the opponent negates everything except ice block and ice barrier by playing a cheap spell and a shitty minion.

Hybris

I am trying to think of a new freeze mage list that runs this cardx2 and literally every secret... Nah I'm not seeing it, arcanologist and other card draw tools are just too consistent already. Not worth. 8 mana is when you are hopefully setting up to end the game, not getting your draw engine going.

TankUP

You're not picking this off glyph. 8 mana to pull maybe 2 secrets is terrible.

If your other two choices are bad/irrelevant and you still have three secrets in your deck? You pick this every time. Even with two secrets left, if it's this or shatter or arcane explosion, and you can't make use of either of those, you pick this.

The main thing this card does is make the expected value from Discover and Tome and Book a little bit lower, which is a good thing. Those cards shouldn't be as consistently good as they are now.

I agree with everyone who says this card won't be put in decks. But it'll see some play, even if it's someone grudgingly playing it to get one secret or buff a mana wyrm or get a minion off of medivh when this card was randomly generated and they have no other play that turn.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm all for stealth mage nerfs. It's been good forever.

Also they should make a hunter secret with death rattle that plays a randomly generated hunter secret. :D

Frankly I'm happy to see a bad Mage spell

Filler cards in HS are unlike any other CCG I've played due to the abundance of roll-your-own-card random effects. Kinda interesting

Mulgrok

Playing that new mage spell the turn after medivh = Mysterious challenger on steroids, especially in wild. It will 100% always summon Tirion, duplicate, effigy, spellbender, counterspell.

TankUP

This card is good to be printed because when a Mage is fishing for an extra ice block or extra damage to win the game, and they get offered this, shatter, and arcane explosion, they will be sad.

Fewer mages stealing games with glyph is a good thing. My main argument against a glyph nerf all this time was that glyph was natually going to be depowered as the standard card pool increased.

It's only been as good as it has been because it's been so consistent in giving mages cards that advance their game plan/ win condition.

EDIT: I mentioned on Reddit that Kripp hypes things up like crazy even when it's unwarranted (see: button, previous card reveals) and I got massively downvoted. LOL Salty fanboys.

Dahbomb

Where are you guys seeing nerfs?
Indirect nerf to having a bad spell in the pool for Mages.

This is a big hit to Mages in Arena too.

Side note, I am almost disappointed this card didn't come with a 6/6 body.

"Who am I? Your daddy that's who!"

gutshot

It says Deathrattle cards NOT Deathrattle minions. Why would they differentiate that except if Hunter is getting a Deathrattle weapon perhaps? That might be cool. OR DEATHRATTLE SPELLS????

I'd be into the idea of a spell that does something, then whenever that effect ends it does something else. That's a cool idea.

Yeah, it's very intriguing. I'm guessing there will be a DR weapon coming for Hunter.

Not to mention, Corpse Widow just seems very powerful to me. Combo it with cheap Deathrattles for a lot of free tempo. Or just play it on 5 (a turn that has traditionally been very weak for Hunter) and at 6 health it is not easy to kill. If your opponent can't kill it, you can go off next turn with Highmanes and who knows what else.

The main issue with a deck like this at the moment is card draw. Hunter has none. But then maybe the Death Knight card is a good fit for this type of midrange deck? It's a draw engine and can provide tons of value into the late game.

I feel like a deck built around these two cards could be good. It might all come down to the weapon and whether or not it will let Hunter compete in the early game.

TankUP

"Who am I? Your daddy that's who!"

Nah, they need to complete the conversation.

"Who am I, none of your business" - MC
"I know who you are" -Eater of Secrets
"You won't live long enough to tell anyone." - Unmasked Challenger

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member

LOL 6/6 for 8 that is literally Mysterious Challenger for Mage? That might be good again. Mage secrets are 3 cost instead of 1 so you are getting insane value if you just include 4-5. At least this card doesn't give you any board presence that your secrets can protect.

Dahbomb

But it's an epic card. Those don't show up often in arena right? Though if it replaces a Catabolist's Tome, Meteor, or Glyph it's served it's purpose
Epic cards got a big boost in Arena in the last major Arena patch. You see a good amount of Epic spells in Arena (spells got a boost too so that means that you have a good chance of seeing Epic spells from new sets).

This means that in the upcoming Arena, Mages are going to be offered quite a bit of this new card and they won't take it because it's a terrible Arena card.

Playing that new mage spell the turn after medivh = Mysterious challenger on steroids, especially in wild. It will 100% always summon Tirion, duplicate, effigy, spellbender, counterspell.
In a Control Mage deck, you have drawn through half of your cards by the time you can play this. Plus the card is absolute trash if you draw it in the late game.

TankUP

Kripp reveal is up. Taunt, lifesteal, deathrattle destroy a minion. 9 mana 4/8.

5RKTCZG.png

Dahbomb

Good Free from Amber target.

If there are ways to pull this card from your deck then it's good too. Like Barnes and Yshaarj.

This is super slow though.

wiibomb

I like a lot that card, like... a lot.

It gives me the "ultimate value" vibe.

now imagine reviving this minion

EDIT: also, amazing N'zoth value.

Pooya

OP af in arena.

I'd say it could be very good in constructed if it was 8 but 9 it's a tad late. Still good.

Stonehill Defender is probably good in priest now.

Reminds me of Khawy from Shadowverse but it's worse. The deathrattle can easily go to waste.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Good Free from Amber target.

If there are ways to pull this card from your deck then it's good too. Like Barnes and Yshaarj.

This is super slow though.

It's absolutely silly with N'Zoth. Ultimate card to ressurect.

Pooya

If you're not winning against n'zoth priest by turn 8-9, you're probably never winning now. I think that's fair.

This coming back with N'Zoth is gg. My quest priest is ready, bring it.

I predict 2x sap going back into rogue decks soon.

Probably trash. You can't risk this getting Hexed and basically skipping a turn. Remember when people used to say anything above 6 needed a battle cry? This is just too slow.

Hybris

Yeah that's a good card. Big taunt for n'zoth, powerful deathrattle,lifesteal taunt with a good statline. Quest priest has to be good right?

Mulgrok

My Barnes RNG is complete trash. 3 out of 16minions that aren't deathrattles in my deck and out of 7 times played it pulled 1 deathrattle. gg blizz

gutshot

Powerful card, but I don't see it getting much play on its own. You just play Stonehill and/or Free From Amber in Priest now and pull it when needed. It's also really good when comboed with Umbra and then pulled from Eternal Servitude.

Dahbomb

Probably trash. You can't risk this getting Hexed and basically skipping a turn. Remember when people used to say anything above 6 needed a battle cry? This is just too slow.
Well anything above 6 mana either needs a Battlecry or a powerful taunt+DR effect, this has both of them. Sort of like Tirion.

If this didn't have taunt then this would be bad for sure. And you aren't playing this into Hex anyway, the deck that uses this card probably has a ton of other DRs to bait Hex anyway.

It's going to be a sad day when the Old Gods rotate out of Standard.
I look at the Deathknight cards as their pre-emptive replacements.

Well anything above 6 mana either needs a Battlecry or a powerful taunt+DR effect, this has both of them. Sort of like Tirion.
9 mana seems like a lot to me. The difference with Tirion is that you go out of your way to force the Hexes on other big targets like a Stegodon or Ragnaros. Priest doesn't run a lot of big things, so you can safely save your Hex for this. That's just how I see it going down.

This probably worse on average than Mind Control, and Mind Control rarely sees play.

Pooya

with Free from amber you can play it for 8. It's the only priest minion that cost 8 or more. It's going to be there a lot. Similarly with stonehill defender, there are only 2 priest taunt cards, both of which have DR.

You never put this in your deck, it's never going to stay in your hand! It's a great card.

Dahbomb

with Free from ember you play for 8. It's the only priest minion that cost 8 or more. It's going to be there a lot. Similarly with stonehill defender, there are only 2 priest taunt cards, both of with have DR.

You never put this in your deck, it's never going to stay in your hand! It's a great card.
LMAO!

I like how we have started evaluating cards based on how they perform when not in your deck.

Priest Quest seems most buffed right now, ton of DR options for them to complete the Quest. Same for Nzoth decks in both Standard and Wild.

This is looking like Naxx 2.0 with the DR emphasis, hopefully not as degenerate.

sibarraz

Banned
If the game gets slower, and jade druid is nerfed, quest priest will be the next deck that will make you realize why 30 minutes matches on HS are awful

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

Maybe Hunter is getting a weapon with Deathrattle? Maybe it works with Explorer's Hat too lol?

Top Bottom