• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

Blizzard

Banned
OK. I didn't see that clarification.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if they originally expected to do it that way, found it was a lot more difficult to code and just figured they will make the 10 pack pity timer work on all sets beginning with this update.
It doesn't -- at least 4 posters in this thread have confirmed opening 10 Un'Goro packs with no legendary.
They also said that resetting pity timers in the last update was an error and that they would reach out to affected parties with compensation. Seems the two things are related.
This may be most likely -- maybe the people who got a legendary in 10 packs are being compensated.

Damn, I opened my first ten packs on all of the card sets and I did really well. I don't think this could have gone better.

Care
Lyra
Raza
Hallazeal

Did anyone notice a disproportionately higher level of golden cards?
Out of 20 Un'goro packs I had only 3 goldens, and they were all golden common.

So it looks like the prevailing theory on Reddit for what happened with the 10 pack pity timer is that this change was actually implemented back around the 8.4 patch in July. People were holding onto their packs waiting for Blizzard to say the change went live and so most people didn't notice. Anybody who didn't succeed at opening legendaries yesterday probably already had opened a legendary and just assumed they were lucky and everything was normal.

So for anybody in this thread that didn't get a legendary within 10 packs yesterday, did you open any packs since Blizzard announced the pack changes? Because I didn't even open a brawl pack and I got three legendaries out of all this.
Now that the rogue frost knight discussion has slowed down, I want to talk about this again.

I went back and checked my post. My most recent Un'goro legendary was July 28th, about 4 days before I opened 20 Un'goro packs yesterday. The most recent legendary was a duplicate Warrior quest, and I dusted it before opening the new packs.

What does this prove? Unless my account is weirdly broken (I even put in a support request to ask):
  • It's not because of Choose a Hero -- I participated in that and got 4 packs from it.
  • The pack changes had NOT gone live as of July 28th. Otherwise, I would have opened a non-duplicate legendary.
  • Since July 28th, I've opened maybe 22 Un'goro packs overall, with 0 legendaries.
  • I'm at least halfway to my pity timer, assuming the pity timer is still <= 40. The pity timer is definitely > 20.
  • However, scarlet had a broken pity timer since they got to 47 packs a while back, and that may STILL not be fixed (correct me if I'm wrong).
  • Legendaries aren't guaranteed in the first 10 Un'Goro packs, though they may be more likely for some people.

It just feel so bad watching people get 2 legendaries from 18 packs when I get 0. It also makes me feel stupid for spending actual money on packs, but of course that's my own fault.

gutshot

It doesn't -- at least 4 posters in this thread have confirmed opening 10 Un'Goro packs with no legendary.

This may be most likely -- maybe the people who got a legendary in 10 packs are being compensated.

Now that the rogue frost knight discussion has slowed down, I want to talk about this again.

I went back and checked my post. My most recent Un'goro legendary was July 28th, about 4 days before I opened 20 Un'goro packs yesterday. The most recent legendary was a duplicate Warrior quest, and I dusted it before opening the new packs.

What does this prove? Unless my account is weirdly broken (I even put in a support request to ask):
  • It's not because of Choose a Hero -- I participated in that and got 4 packs from it.
  • The pack changes had NOT gone live as of July 28th. Otherwise, I would have opened a non-duplicate legendary.
  • Since July 28th, I've opened maybe 22 Un'goro packs overall, with 0 legendaries.
  • I'm at least halfway to my pity timer, assuming the pity timer is still <= 40. The pity timer is definitely > 20.
  • However, scarlet had a broken pity timer since they got to 47 packs a while back, and that may STILL not be fixed (correct me if I'm wrong).
  • Legendaries aren't guaranteed in the first 10 Un'Goro packs, though they may be more likely for some people.

It just feel so bad watching people get 2 legendaries from 18 packs when I get 0. It also makes me feel stupid for spending actual money on packs, but of course that's my own fault.

That Warrior Quest was likely your 10 pack Legendary for Un'goro. I think the prevailing theory is that the 10 pack pity timer actually went live prior to yesterday, but people are just noticing it now because Blizzard announced it and everyone is opening saved up and/or purchased packs. So you likely got your 10 pack Un'goro legendary prior to this recent announcement and just assumed at the time that it was due to normal Legendary odds.

Blizzard

Banned
That Warrior Quest was likely your 10 pack Legendary for Un'goro. I think the prevailing theory is that the 10 pack pity timer actually went live prior to yesterday, but people are just noticing it now because Blizzard announced it and everyone is opening saved up and/or purchased packs. So you likely got your 10 pack Un'goro legendary prior to this recent announcement and just assumed at the time that it was due to normal Legendary odds.
So you're suggesting the 10 pack pity timer went live on all sets before July 28th, but they didn't enable the duplicate protection at that time? That's mean if so, because it would make people much more likely to open duplicate legendaries between then and now.

Pooya

How do cards that return to your hand (Headcrack) interact with the shadow copy?

It's a terrible card, but just thinking if they were to expand on that mechanic later.

if you play headcrack and its copy, at the end of your turn you get two headcracks as long as you combo'd the first one. Next turn, you can play 3 headcracks and even if you don't combo the first you get 2 back anyway. It's basically infinite 4 damage a turn for 6 mana.

Hybris

if you play headcrack and its copy, at the end of your turn you get two headcracks as long as you combo'd the first one. Next turn, you can play 3 headcracks and even if you don't combo the first you get 2 back anyway. It's basically infinite 4 damage a turn for 6 mana.

Headcrack meta is back boys
/s

JesseZao

if you play headcrack and its copy, at the end of your turn you get two headcracks as long as you combo'd the first one. Next turn, you can play 3 headcracks and even if you don't combo the first you 2 back anyway. It's basically infinite 4 damage a turn for 6 mana.

Yeah, that's what I'd expect. It's the only way to keep your copied card other than indirect shenanigans such as Cho.

gutshot

Oh shit. I think I figured out what happened with the pity timers and everything.

The 10 pack pity timer went live with the most recent patch on July 11. But Blizzard didn't tell anyone. This change reset everyone's pity timer to 0 for each set but... there would be a guaranteed Legendary within the first 10 packs. Most people wouldn't even notice the difference. But this messed with people whose pity timers were in the high 30s at the time and were keeping track of it, like scarlet.

So scarlet's pity timer was at, say, 37 prior to the patch. The game gets patched and its now 0. He ends up opening 3 more packs to get to 40. No Legendary? WTF. He buys 7 more to find out what the hell is going on. Legendary on pack number 7 (10 pack pity timer!).

At the same time, the dupe code wasn't in the game yet. So scarlet opened a dupe Legendary and so did Blizzard when they unknowingly hit their 10 pack pity timers. I did the same thing, fishing for the Rogue Quest after the nerf and ended up with a dupe Umbra.

Now, of course, both the previously announced pack changes are live. So Blizzard finally makes a blog post. Anyone who has waited since July 11 to open ANY packs will all get 1 guaranteed non-duplicate Legendary within their first 10 packs of any set. But there are a few who already unknowingly hit that pity timer and may have gotten screwed with a duplicate Legendary.

Blizzard

Banned
That's the best theory I've heard. It still makes me feel bad that some people are getting 2 legendaries in 18 packs or whatever, but luck happens.

doesn't explain why I didn't get an OG legendary which I bought exaclty 10 packs of.

I think the rogue hero is so hard to evaluate. Stealth for a turn... into prep+vanish, double three drop?

It is sorta like having 2 draws per turn for the rest of the game at no cost per turn. Jade rogue is the type of deck that can run out of hand resources towards the late game and also benefits from having duplicate effects. Even vanish in that deck doesn't seem bad tbh.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
The changes went out after those Choose Your Champion packs went out. I got 4 packs from there with nothing, then it took 8 packs to get a legendary afterwards.

When you alex yourself with the kill in hand just to know whether you correctly played around explosive trap.
OK. So my theory is looking less likely. Unless the 10 pack pity timer is like you can make it through 10 packs without a Legendary but then you get a guaranteed one in the 11th?

nope just bought one and should be at 12 packs of no OG legendary.

TankUP

Treachery is obviously so you can give your opponent (who runs a Nzoth deck) Ticking Abomination so when they do play N'zoth you get an easy way to clear their resurrected board.

Man, this brawl is terrible.

Not only is it like 4 months late but the beast deck is complete garbage compared to the elemental one.

Edit: Then I get the beast deck again and get a bunch of Swamp King Dreds.

Grief.exe

Damn, I opened my first ten packs on all of the card sets and I did really well. I don't think this could have gone better.

Carine
Lyra
Raza
Hallazeal

Did anyone notice a disproportionately higher level of golden cards?

tIGTglx.jpg

My phone autocorrected Cairne to Care lol

I opened about 20-25 packs this morning, I have to count but I think I got around 15 golden.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Oh shit. I think I figured out what happened with the pity timers and everything.

The 10 pack pity timer went live with the most recent patch on July 11. But Blizzard didn't tell anyone. This change reset everyone's pity timer to 0 for each set but... there would be a guaranteed Legendary within the first 10 packs. Most people wouldn't even notice the difference. But this messed with people whose pity timers were in the high 30s at the time and were keeping track of it, like scarlet.

So scarlet's pity timer was at, say, 37 prior to the patch. The game gets patched and its now 0. He ends up opening 3 more packs to get to 40. No Legendary? WTF. He buys 7 more to find out what the hell is going on. Legendary on pack number 7 (10 pack pity timer!).

At the same time, the dupe code wasn't in the game yet. So scarlet opened a dupe Legendary and so did Blizzard when they unknowingly hit their 10 pack pity timers. I did the same thing, fishing for the Rogue Quest after the nerf and ended up with a dupe Umbra.

Now, of course, both the previously announced pack changes are live. So Blizzard finally makes a blog post. Anyone who has waited since July 11 to open ANY packs will all get 1 guaranteed non-duplicate Legendary within their first 10 packs of any set. But there are a few who already unknowingly hit that pity timer and may have gotten screwed with a duplicate Legendary.

I can throw a giant wrench on this since my scenario seems like it'd mess most theories up.

I haven't played hearthstone since May, at all. Got burned on the game and needed a long break, so when I booted it up I was getting my ranked rewards from back then and totally skipped the last few months. Got 4 ungoro packs from the choose your hero thing, and opened 11 gadgetzan packs.

Zero legendaries, but also they were all 4 commons and a rare aside from one gadgetzan pack which had an epic, zero goldens in all of the packs too.

Blizzard

Banned
I can throw a giant wrench on this since my scenario seems like it'd mess most theories up.

I haven't played hearthstone since May, at all. Got burned on the game and needed a long break, so when I booted it up I was getting my ranked rewards from back then and totally skipped the last few months. Got 4 ungoro packs from the choose your hero thing, and opened 11 gadgetzan packs.

Zero legendaries, but also they were all 4 commons and a rare aside from one gadgetzan pack which had an epic, zero goldens in all of the packs too.
So basically everything is fucked. :D Some people get tons of legendaries, some get 0 legendaries, a bunch of people in this thread have gotten Awaken the Makers specifically, some people get about 60% goldens, some get about 15% goldens.

More than anything I wish Blizzard were better about communicating this, like "As of 12 p.m. PDT on [whatever] date, we have reset everyone's pity timer to 0." Or "We found a bug and the exact nature is [whatever]."

When people are dropping real money on your RNG boxes, having accurate information about those RNG boxes would be pretty darn nice.

Beckx

well i already have fun playing Kun in my Jade deck so Kun-->refill mana-->Ultimate Infestation will be a blast

in some ways better than my "pray for a miracle" Kun-->refill mana-->auctioneer-->spells

Dahbomb

This is not a real card... is it?

This is so god damn hilarious.

A 5/5 that deals 5 damage is an obscenely strong 6-7 drop. Gain 5 armor is worth like 1 mana but drawing 5 cards is worth way more than 5 mana. You get 3 draws from 5 mana in this game, 4 draws from 7.

In terms of what you get for mana invested this card is nuts but most 10 mana cards are.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
"Okay, so we need a Druid Epic."

"What do Druid Epics normally do?"

"A bunch of random shit."

*Developer ponders this answer very intently.*

"Boss, I made the card you asked for!"

That card is ridiculous. Only question is whether you can afford to run 2 or not. Hell, maybe you just replace Nourish with it.

It's like a Kazakus Potion on steroids.

Dahbomb

This kinda reminds me of the pre nerf Call of the Wild. Granted this card doesn't win the game outright like that card because it's not all in on tempo but this card does more for its mana than 8 mana Call of the Wild did.

gutshot

It's like they designed a really big Choose One card and then said "what if we just got rid of the Choose One and had the card do all of it???"

Dahbomb

This is definitely a Jungle Giant/Big Druid card though. I don't know of any other Druid deck that needs that much flash card draw.

It's actually fitting that the mayor of value town got to unveil this card.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
This card has so much value that putting 2 in your deck might be bad because you'll draw too many cards.

Trump said on his stream that he thinks it's the best card in the expansion so far, and I'm inclined to agree.

Dahbomb

This card has so much value that putting 2 in your deck might be bad because you'll draw too many cards.

Trump said on his stream that he thinks it's the best card in the expansion so far, and I'm inclined to agree.
Of course Trump is going to say it's the best card... he LOVES VALUE!!!

Top Bottom