• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
for once it's helpful that Pally has no powerful 1 cost spells.

Humility is powerful, just doesn't see play right now because Control Paladin isn't played.

I don't think it's quite as broken as some people are claiming it is. I think you're still only running it against Jade Druid in the specific case where you actually think you can handle the Druid getting all the way to 9/9 Jades. I think Jades are scary against control decks even without their ability to go infinite. Its ability to remove other 1-cost spells from other decks isn't so much a reason to play the card in standard as it is just something that makes it playable, so it does more than just tech against one deck.

I actually feel like the most relevant effect of this is that it kills Ice Lane in Wild. That straight up kills the win condition for certain types of Freeze Mages. And sign me the hell up for that.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I'm starting to think this expansion will be the end of me playing HS. I simply cannot come to terms with the poor design decisions and the unwillingness to adjust problem cards. I hate Jade Druid, but if you don't want people to play it why make it in the first place? It's one thing for tech choices to target a broader range or to try and push things towards anti-aggro or anti-control inside a deck, but these binary tech cards are just immensely boring and solve no real problems for the game. It is completely indicative of the insular nature many modern Hearthstone decks have. Why think about or play around the spells your opponent has when you can just destroy all of them? It actually disgusts me.

Sande

I'm starting to think this expansion will be the end of me playing HS. I simply cannot come to terms with the poor design decisions and the unwillingness to adjust problem cards. I hate Jade Druid, but if you don't want people to play it why make it in the first place? It's one thing for tech choices to target a broader range or to try and push things towards anti-aggro or anti-control inside a deck, but these binary tech cards are just immensely boring and solve no real problems for the game. It is completely indicative of the insular nature many modern Hearthstone decks have. Why think about or play around the spells your opponent has when you can just destroy all of them? It actually disgusts me.
It's really tiring that they keep printing cards that you can see a mile away are going to be problematic and their usual solution to that is to either print even more problematic cards to counter them or just wait until the cards leave standard. I cannot even begin to understand half of the design decisions they make for HS.

Humility is powerful, just doesn't see play right now because Control Paladin isn't played.
Humility even when it was played was usually just a 1 of.

Shield Slam otoh is one of the reasons Control Warrior is a terrible matchup. You can combat and outvalue 2 Brawls and 2 Executes but 2 Shield Slams on to of that were just back breaking.

Q8D3vil

First i thought it was terrible design, but now i have come around it. Card is brilliant and imo they should have started the expansion announcement with it. Hell, they should have made it a legendary too.
Always fun when there are cards that shakes the meta.

zoukka

It destroys one (1) card from them.

Overreactions much?

This isn't even bad against top aggro decks. I would not regret spending 6 mana to get rid of Upgrade and Mark of the Lotus. Those are huge tempo cards that make Renolock struggle.

You would regret it when you skip your turn 6 and those decks just kill you (hint: they don't care about those cards at turn 6-7).

Magnus

Overreactions much?

Agreed. The existence of a card alone seems to create so mug doom and gloom. Weren't people screaming that it was the end of all secret decks when Eater of Secrets was first revealed?

gutshot

Call me crazy, but I don't think Skulking Geist is very good. It reminds me of Eater of Secrets a lot. A very strong hate card against one specific deck. An OK hate card against a couple other decks. Against everything else, it's an understated minion that doesn't do much.

The one advantage it has over Eater of Secrets is you can just play it whenever and get full value from its Battlecry; unlike Eater, which you had to hold until your opponent's MC or Ice Block turn.

Because of that, I can see it being a 1-of in some control decks to improve their matchups with Jade Druid. But no aggro decks are going to run this and no midrange decks are going to run this. And we all know that the meta will be more aggro and midrange than control. So I don't see this being a meta defining card.

Beckx

The next three months are going to see an extremely volatile meta

thinking a lot about mind games with this card. day 1 I think i'll focus on refining a druid deck that keeps Jade Blossom and Aya but no 1 cost spells. maybe Umbra if I can fit her in and find more worthwhile deathrattles to include (I like playing a jade/elemental rogue deck with umbra now anyway, it's not good but it's fun). jades aren't the win condition at all but a nice buff and a potential fake out to make the opponent hurt their own deck.

fertygo

Call me crazy, but I don't think Skulking Geist is very good. It reminds me of Eater of Secrets a lot. A very strong hate card against one specific deck. An OK hate card against a couple other decks. Against everything else, it's an understated minion that doesn't do much.

The one advantage it has over Eater of Secrets is you can just play it whenever and get full value from its Battlecry; unlike Eater, which you had to hold until your opponent's MC or Ice Block turn.

Because of that, I can see it being a 1-of in some control decks to improve their matchups with Jade Druid. But no aggro decks are going to run this and no midrange decks are going to run this. And we all know that the meta will be more aggro and midrange than control. So I don't see this being a meta defining card.

I'm fine with this if not seeing all of those mage deck not happily run Eater of Secret without having much problem because their deck so strong, they can afford run 1 bad card for simply a mirror purpose

this card is much better than eater of secret and more helping in more matchup for Mage

heck more I think about it the more I think its a dream tech card for Mage in standard

its absolutely help against their poor matchup

I can't believe the real card ended up being even more poorly designed than the fake one.
Yeah I'm sort of in disbelief.

This way nerfs a bunch of shitty but fun combo decks people play. I'm not sure why they went so broad with it. They talk about limiting design space and then print this. Very strange.

wiibomb

Whether it ends up being good or not, it's a terribly designed card.

and what is a terrible designed card for you? I see this fine, it affects only the very cheap 1 mana spells and actually helps counter some potential OTKs in the future with cheap spells involved.

EDIT: I wonder if this is what mike donais was expecting from the reactions, I kind of think he did.

DREAM COMBO

Millhouse Manastorm: Set all your Opponent's spells to 0
Doomed Apprentice: Set all of your Opponent's spells to cost 1 more
Skulking Geist: Destory all spells that cost 1 Mana

RIP SPELLS

Edit: Manastorm is only next turn, my bad. BUT THE DREAM

wiibomb

DREAM COMBO

Millhouse Manastorm: Set all your Opponent's spells to 0
Doomed Apprentice: Set all of your Opponent's spells to cost 1 more
Skulking Geist: Destory all spells that cost 1 Mana

RIP SPELLS

Edit: Manastorm is only next turn, my bad. BUT THE DREAM

umm, that isn't how it works lol.

sibarraz

Banned
I will love to see that combo work

Giving Millhouse a powerful tool will be worthy, yet infuriating for those who receive that combo

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Damn this card REALLY is a hate card. It's like the most hateful card HS has ever seen. It shuts down most of the popular combo decks that I know of: Priest is fucked, Rogue loses the strongest finishers, Druid loses Jade,etc

Man. What a wild card. I think the card is pretty much guaranteed as a 1x in any control deck that feels like it has a bad matchup against Rogue and Jade druid. Otherwise, it's effect is strong, but I'm not sure you'd bother in lots of other decks.

and what is a terrible designed card for you? I see this fine, it affects only the very cheap 1 mana spells and actually helps counter some potential OTKs in the future with cheap spells involved.
it's terribly designed because you can't do shit all against it but not play 1 cost spells. Jade Idol is a problem but one that could have been adressed in an isolated matter w/o compromising every single 1 cost card printed forward.

For instance this wil affect every single paladin secret printed ever.

inky

Agreed. The existence of a card alone seems to create so mug doom and gloom. Weren't people screaming that it was the end of all secret decks when Eater of Secrets was first revealed?

What? No. If anything the feeling was: too late and still not enough.

Edit: and I don't think this card is broken anyway, and neither is Jade Druid imo.

Woops, I kept thinking like this kills minions. My bad!

Tech cards sick and are generally poor game design in my opinion. However, Duelyst's Replace mechanic would solve the problem of feeling weak due to including them in your deck.

Otherwise we will apparently end up with decks that are mostly tech cards. Pooh!

This card is incredible in Wild, by the way. The only living factor is that you can't play it in a deck that needs the cards at destroys. But now Renolock autowins against Freeze Mage. Game changer!

Overreactions much?

You would regret it when you skip your turn 6 and those decks just kill you (hint: they don't care about those cards at turn 6-7).
Oh yes they do. I play Egg Druid to 5 every month. Lotus is a key card. Ditto for Upgrade.

Upgrade is how Pirate Warrior can beat Renolock even in the midgame.

I'm not saying you play this card to beat Egg Druid and Pirate Warrior. That would be insane. I am saying that it has some collateral benefit.

Q8D3vil

Damn this card REALLY is a hate card. It's like the most hateful card HS has ever seen. It shuts down most of the popular combo decks that I know of: Priest is fucked, Rogue loses the strongest finishers, Druid loses Jade,etc

Man. What a wild card. I think the card is pretty much guaranteed as a 1x in any control deck that feels like it has a bad matchup against Rogue and Jade druid. Otherwise, it's effect is strong, but I'm not sure you'd bother in lots of other decks.
Fuck no, this card is amazing in priest.
Im sure u mean miracle priest and in that deck you have to cheese ur opponent early anyway so it doesnt really matter.
Only effect power world shield in control priest so you just cycle it if you are afraid of this card.

Blizzard

Banned
It's too expensive, but Doomed Apprentice would be a fun combo to delete rogue spells, the coin, innervate, silence, etc.

Fuck no, this card is amazing in priest.
Im sure u mean miracle priest and in that deck you have to cheese ur opponent early anyway so it doesnt really matter.
Only effect power world shield in control priest so you just cycle it if you are afraid of this card.

*edit* It also hits pint-sized potion, potion of madness, and binding heal. Binding heal in particular might be nice late game.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Rogue doesn't currently really play cold blood very often. And cold blood shenanigans in DK rogue if that deck is good would be supremely annoying so countering them doesn't seem like the worst accidental casualty.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Thijs was really big on the hunter card Corpse widow, the one that discounts your deathrattle cards by 2. I don't get that at all.

sibarraz

Banned
People still thinking Jade Idol is "overpowered" or "broken design" in GAF. Jesus Christ

The problem with jade idol is that its mere existence shut down an entire archetype for the game. An archetype shouldn't have such a loopsided match up, even if that deck loses badly against other decks.

Is the same with caverns below, it didn't have a >50% winrate, but his good matchups were so good that it harmed the game

Thijs was really big on the hunter card Corpse widow, the one that discounts your deathrattle cards by 2. I don't get that at all.
Free Explorer's Hat!!!!!

sub 50% win rate at legend, yet in the top % played at legend

jade is weird.
Counterpicking. After rank 5 control decks become much more popular.

I wonder when Blizzard will take away the 50 KotFT boosters I prepurchased and then canceled the order again. It's been more than a day.
Ask them?

Top Bottom