• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

I heard about a no discard Zoolock that used I think the new egg and that pterodactyl that eats one of your minions, but I never found a list for it.
Even the lists that use the egg+sac combo seem Discard to me:
http://www.hearthstonetopdecks.com/...i-sacrifice-discard-zoo-april-2017-season-37/

Zoolock lost Gang Boss Imp, Dark Peddler, and Power Overwhelming, three cheap and flexible cards that were cornerstones of the archetype. What did Zoolock gain?

Pterrordax.
Firefly.
Devilsaur Egg.

I think that's it. So there was the loss of the deck's cornerstone 2-drop and 3-drop, and we got another 4-drop, another 1-drop (which Zoolock already has a TON of), and a worse Nerubian Egg (IMO).

Also, fun fact: the rotated Classic cards are now in a tab called "Hall of Fame".

Dahbomb

Is there even a non-Discard Zoo now in Standard?
Regular Zoo with some discards exist with Egg and Pterodactyl.

No matter what Zoo you play you kinda have to play Malch Imp, Doomguard and Soulfire anyway. These are just good standalone aggressive cards. Whether you want to include stuff like Darkshire Librarian or Felhound depends on how deep you want to take the discard synergy.

Regular Zoo also got Feeding Time technically but yeah that card is not that good at least right now. I think if you have double Forbidden Ritual, double Feeding Time and other flood board cards then you can combine with Sea Giant to put in a Flood Zoo deck.

And yeah highlander decks are RIP in peace as expected. Kazakus isn't strong enough to carry them and neither are the new Kabal highlander cards. Highlander decks are going to get crushed by these aggro decks anyway without Reno. As always people had it the reverse... Reno/Kazakus deck didn't bring about aggro and Patches deck, it was the other way around. Ungoro should be proof of this.

ScribbleD

Just tried Exodia Mage for the first time against an inner fire priest. I had to draw my entire deck to finally get all the combo pieces, and then the priest left before I could play it out. Ridiculously inconsistent, but very fun.

patchday

wow something I never thought I would do.

I am now playing Control warrior. This taunt warrior quest is the shiznit

I have truly sold out. could not resist the allure of getting the Ragnaros super power

(plus I unpacked the Warrior quest so it was bound to happen)

Peléo

Even the lists that use the egg+sac combo seem Discard to me:
http://www.hearthstonetopdecks.com/...i-sacrifice-discard-zoo-april-2017-season-37/

Zoolock lost Gang Boss Imp, Dark Peddler, and Power Overwhelming, three cheap and flexible cards that were cornerstones of the archetype. What did Zoolock gain?

Pterrordax.
Firefly.
Devilsaur Egg.

I think that's it. So there was the loss of the deck's cornerstone 2-drop and 3-drop, and we got another 4-drop, another 1-drop (which Zoolock already has a TON of), and a worse Nerubian Egg (IMO).

Yeah, more than anything Zoo got a lot worse without Power Overwhelming, which is basically what enabled them to trade up and control the board against big minions. Now Zoo faces Taunt Warrior and, after the third Taunt, they have no board anymore. Leeroy is also much worse on the deck.

Pterrordax is the strongest addition to Zoo this expansion. You defined it as another 4 drop, but Zoo doesn't have anything significant in this slot beside Argus. Dark Iron Dwarf would be the next option. Afterwards is only downhill with Barnes, Twilight Summoner and Spellbreaker.

Firefly is a decent card in a oversaturated spot. Getting extra knife juggles and buffing Councilman is sweet though.

I would also add Devilsaur Runt to your list. Much weaker than Peddler and maybe running Ooze or Golakka Crawler is better considering the amount of Pirate Warrior and Rogue . I also want to see how Crazed Alchemist works out in the deck since it activates Egg, helps the quest mage matchup and weakens most Taunts.

It's funny how you can make Quest Rogues unable to play their quest in the mirror by just keeping the board in your favour until you complete it yourself.

People don't seem to understand that most quest mirrors will be decided by whomever has initiative. But some of the matches will be decided by prep + quest completion and either swinging the board or having enough chargers and shadowsteps to finish.

Meta breaker deck right now is Token Druid, I am calling it.

Beats Pirate Warrior and all the Rogues. Good against Warlocks. People are not ready.

He said he might try a weird paladin deck. That'll be interesting.

Man the Hunter MU is so dreadful for Rogue, gotta pray they play the quest turn 1. An 8/8 is much easier to beat than hunter curving out.
People don't seem to understand that most quest mirrors will be decided by whomever has initiative. But some of the matches will be decided by prep + quest completion and either swinging the board or having enough chargers and shadowsteps to finish.
Yeah some matches there's really nothing you can do but when it's even it becomes very intense.

Peléo;233639418 said:
Yeah, more than anything Zoo got a lot worse without Power Overwhelming, which is basically what enabled them to trade up and control the board against big minions. Now Zoo faces Taunt Warrior and, after the third Taunt, they have no board anymore. Leeroy is also much worse on the deck.

Pterrordax is the strongest addition to Zoo this expansion. You defined it as another 4 drop, but Zoo doesn't have anything significant in this slot beside Argus. Dark Iron Dwarf would be the next option. Afterwards is only downhill with Barnes, Twilight Summoner and Spellbreaker.

Firefly is a decent card in a oversaturated spot. Getting extra knife juggles and buffing Councilman is sweet though.

I would also add Devilsaur Runt to your list. Much weaker than Peddler and maybe running Ooze or Golakka Crawler is better considering the amount of Pirate Warrior and Rogue . I also want to see how Crazed Alchemist works out in the deck since it activates Egg, helps the quest mage matchup and weakens most Taunts.
Fair point on the Pterrordax - I mostly play Wild so I am used to having Void Caller and Piloted Shredder, so Pterrordax isn't particularly special. I did end up cutting Piloted Shredder for Pterrordax, though.

Just got back from a local qualifier event. Did pretty well, but kicking myself for losing the chance to get in top 8 by missing lethal in one game...

Fire Plume Control Warrior was definitely the deck to beat. Lots of people did well with it against a variety of matchups. I didn't even bother bringing a Rogue deck because I assumed almost everyone would ban it, which was true.

Meta breaker deck right now is Token Druid, I am calling it.

Beats Pirate Warrior and all the Rogues. Good against Warlocks. People are not ready.

It's very good, I got absolutely wrecked by a Druid in a matchup that just had no foreseeable good outcome for me. It's insanely fast when it draws right.

Peléo

Fair point on the Pterrordax - I mostly play Wild so I am used to having Void Caller and Piloted Shredder, so Pterrordax isn't particularly special. I did end up cutting Piloted Shredder for Pterrordax, though.

Surprised you have been running it in Wild, I would expect Shredder to be stronger there. You mean Void Terror instead Caller? Also, I haven't experimented with Zoo in Wild, have you tried playing with Double Egg or is it too slow?

Peléo;233640752 said:
Surprised you have been running it in Wild, I would expect Shredder to be stronger there. You mean Void Terror instead Caller? Also, I haven't experimented with Zoo in Wild, have you tried playing with Double Egg or is it too slow?
No, I meant Voidcaller:
http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Voidcaller

It's better than Piloted Shredder in most situations: free Mal'Ganis or Doomcaller - value WAY above Shredder. At worst I get Gang Boss Imp or Flame Imp, which are both still better.

I am only using Nerubian Egg right now - I have an Egg Druid deck for when I want to go all-out on abusing the egg synergies. I plan on trying it out at some point, though.

Shredder is stronger in terms of stats, but Pterrordax can activate the egg, which is big. I do like Void Terror, but you often don't get much from the activation unless you PO first (then it's huge). But that means you need a 3-card combo in your hand for Void Terror, which I've found often doesn't happen, and then I have a dead card in my hand. Pterrordax almost always has an activator I'm willing to sacrifice (some 1/1 or an egg).

Also, Pterrordax is more controllable and flexible than Shredder. For example, I played against a Priest last night who conceded right after I played Pterrordax. Why? I got spell immunity and +1/+1 on him. So Pterrordax has a kind of situational value against control decks that Piloted Shredder doesn't. You also never have a completely worthless Pterrordax drop, which I can't say for Piloted Shredder's procs...

Dahbomb

I think the Handlock party is over.

Hunters have figured out that playing regular Hunter is better than Quest. You could beat Quest Hunter as Handlock but Midrange Hunter has always been a bad match up. Especially if they high roll poison on Alleycat.

Quest Rogue was already not a great match up and now Miracoli has those Vile Slayers that one shot the giant with tempo. This was never a great match up, now it's worse.

Zoolocks ditched the quest too and just high roll you despite being a good match up.

Control Warrior match up used to be free.. now it's barely even. They can Handlock now with fast quest and good Brawls.

Pirate Warrior already wasn't a great match up.

I think Handlock will drop down to tier 3 but might be played in competitive for certain match ups.

And Shredder gets stopped cold by Tar Creeper in Wild.

Peléo

No, I meant Voidcaller:
http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Voidcaller

It's better than Piloted Shredder in most situations.

I am only using Nerubian Egg right now - I have an Egg Druid deck for when I want to go all-out on abusing the egg synergies. I plan on trying it out at some point, though.

Shredder is stronger in terms of stats, but Pterrordax can activate the egg, which is big. I do like Void Terror, but you often don't get much from the activation unless you PO first (then it's huge). But that means you need a 3-card combo in your hand for Void Terror, which I've found often doesn't happen, and then I have a dead card in my hand. Pterrordax almost always has an activator I'm willing to sacrifice (some 1/1 or an egg).

Also, Pterrordax is more controllable and flexible than Shredder. For example, I played against a Priest last night who conceded right after I played Pterrordax. Why? I got spell immunity and +1/+1 on him. So Pterrordax has a kind of situational value against control decks that Piloted Shredder doesn't. You also never have a completely worthless Pterrordax drop, which I can't say for Piloted Shredder's procs...

I agree with everything you said about Void Terror. It's really awkward to play sometimes.No PO only makes it worse. Which is a bummer, because I think it is a great card flavour and design wise.

Yes, activating Pterrordax in Standard is already easy, I imagine it gets even easier with all token generation cards in Wild. Elusive won me games several times by avoiding Hex and Sap. I would never pick it against Priest though. 4 Attack is already the sweet spot in the matchup, worst they can do spell wise is Entomb or Auchenai + Flash Heal.

I think the Handlock party is over.

Hunters have figured out that playing regular Hunter is better than Quest. You could beat Quest Hunter as Handlock but Midrange Hunter has always been a bad match up. Especially if they high roll poison on Alleycat.

Quest Rogue was already not a great match up and now Miracoli has those Vile Slayers that one shot the giant with tempo. This was never a great match up, now it's worse.

Zoolocks ditched the quest too and just high roll you despite being a good match up.

Control Warrior match up used to be free.. now it's barely even. They can Handlock now with fast quest and good Brawls.

Pirate Warrior already wasn't a great match up.

I think Handlock will drop down to tier 3 but might be played in competitive for certain match ups.

And Shredder gets stopped cold by Tar Creeper in Wild.
There's a sigh of relief whenever an opponent plays a quest unless it's rogue or mage and with the latter only because it's annoying.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
lol, adaptation on a doomsayer for stealth is pretty good I guess. Tempo Priest conceded turn 4 to it.

Trying to build a control token paladin deck at the moment.

Crosseyes

Banned
lol, adaptation on a doomsayer for stealth is pretty good I guess. Tempo Priest conceded turn 4 to it.

Trying to build a control token paladin deck at the moment.
Token Paladin has been my jam this weekend. I'm only rank 7 now but that's the highest I've ever gotten before.

Although I go more midrange than control to put a bit more pressure on people in the early game.

f0lken

I finally made it guys!!! After trying taunts/elementals/full buffspells/even dragons (with like a 20/80 losing percentage) I finally made a paladin quest deck with a winning record! of 27 games (i was going to do 30 but had to do other things) I won 19 of them, so I think is a nice simple.

LGNwVYo.png

It puts pressure on fast decks, and against control like handlock, warrior or priest, adapt poison onto knife juggler or your small tiny silver hand recruits and start wrecking huge threats

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Reynad has been opening packs for 3 hours ... i think he's opening about 1000 packs.
Crazy.

Panthers

Just came across my first Quest Rogue. My god that's tough to beat. He got it off by turn 5, is that normal?

Also Exodia Mage destroyed me right before, and before that Taunt Warrior. Im at rank 20 and getting destroyed by these decks :(

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh, Corpse Flower gets Mimic Poded. Is there a better Mimic Pod target Rogue has?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I finally made it guys!!! After trying taunts/elementals/full buffspells/even dragons (with like a 20/80 losing percentage) I finally made a paladin quest deck with a winning record! of 27 games (i was going to do 30 but had to do other things) I won 19 of them, so I think is a nice simple.

It puts pressure on fast decks, and against control like handlock, warrior or priest, adapt poison onto knife juggler or your small tiny silver hand recruits and start wrecking huge threats[/QUOTE]

lol, nice.

Only way i could get even 20% on the quest is abusing Patches. I've seen some streamers do better, but it's definitely difficult.

patchday

Just came across my first Quest Rogue. My god that's tough to beat. He got it off by turn 5, is that normal?

Also Exodia Mage destroyed me right before, and before that Taunt Warrior. Im at rank 20 and getting destroyed by these decks :(

rank 20 was tough this season (to be exact- I was really rank 19 but fell all the way into 20 from straight losses I was so tilted). I waited til expac launched and had to start from ground zero finding a deck to work for me. finally got out there and made it to the next rank floor. got a good handle on the meta now. but yeah it was really tough

at least now you can netdeck very easily

once you get out its really cake. expecting to hit next rank floor around next weekend? I just dont have too much time to play like I would like.

f0lken

lol, nice.

Only way i could get even 20% on the quest is abusing Patches. I've seen some streamers do better, but it's definitely difficult.

I was even gonna dust it, also tried pirates to no effect, then I started to do a silver recruit deck and start putting buffs in it, one thing lead to the other lol. I am finally happy with fucking Galvadon

patchday

The Rogue quest just needs to be increased to 5 duplicates.

Way, way too reliable to get 4 by or before turn 5.

if you are having troubles with quest rogue just switch to aggro. I farmed them this morning for some easy stars and to complete my warrior quest

some folks reporting they seeing like 80% quest rogues. well too me its a weird thing to complain bout. just grab some simple aggro deck and run them right over while they jerking around with bouncing back cards

A reminder to always make combo players play it out. Exodia mage tries to go off on me but miscounted and was unable to cast Time Warp.
if you are having troubles with quest rogue just switch to aggro. I farmed them this morning for some easy stars and to complete my warrior quest

some folks reporting they seeing like 80% quest rogues. well too me its a weird thing to complain bout. just grab some simple aggro deck and run them right over while they jerking around with bouncing back cards
Yup I've resigned to never beating Hunter but PW, Zoo, Aggro Druid are doable.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
LOL.

You know Reynad is new to the expansion when he chooses "Can't be Targeted by Spells" on his glavadon with buffs still in hand.

Mistake I made myself once upon a time.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Man I really want to like Dinomancy. It's helped at times but I just can't really commit to it. I wish it was a 0 mana card.

Anyone find a good deck for it?

I have put it in my deck, and have not drawn it except for games I lost before turn 8 anyhow.

More experimentation needed I guess. My intention is using it to help against Taunt Warrior, but i keep taking it out and putting it back in because I hate drawing it early.

playing around with Dogs aggro mage. the discover a spell card is really good.

Edit: watching rosty stream.

equality and new palidin legendary work on rogue 5/5

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Just found out that Devolve doesnt work against the Rogue quest lol
:(

Fersis

Can someone make a comprehensive list of stuff that works and doesn't work against the Rogue quest?
I dunno why i expected it to work to be honest, the Quest text is pretty clear.

Wait, Edwin Van Sax keeps his buffed stats?

Top Bottom