• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

TankUP

Now, if I can get a grommash from this, a alexstrasza, a leeroy. There is potential in this. Of course this is not going to be run in every warrior deck.

I could put Gromm, Alex or Leeroy in my deck though.

I'd actually have to CUT one of those cards to fit this in.

Of course it's not the worst card of all time, but I expect more from a class legendary than "not the worst card of all time."

There's no deck that wants this. Doesn't fit in tempo warrior because it doesn't generate tempo. (again, it's 8 mana with awful stats.)

Doesn't fit in slow warrior because the 8+ and up mana slot is already super crowded.

Doesn't fit in aggro warrior because it's 8 mana.

I can't imagine a warrior deck that would put this in their deck on purpose. I want a RNG legendary, I'll play Malkorok. It actually does something. I want an enrage target, I'll play Grommash. I want cards to play sudden genesis or blood warriors on, I'll play Arcane Giants. I want to "just have fun, man" I'll put in Yogg.

It's 8 mana. If i want Gromm or Ysera, I could put those cards in my deck. It's an 8 mana card that does nothing to the board the turn you play it unless you have an activator. Even if you do have an inner or something you've been holding all game (shit strategy for a tempo deck, btw) you're gonna damage your own minion on the off chance you get a decent statted card? OH BOY THE VALUE. Gromm/Inner rage actually can win games. This is a Trollden bait.

The warlock legendary is fine. It's decently costed, has a huge upside, and require your opponent to remove it ASAP. You guys act like you have to discard your whole deck before you play it, but you can play this AND THEN a doomguard or a soulfire or whatever and it'll buff on board.

The main problem with the warlock card is the deck it fits into sucks right now.

The Rogue card is stupid. Swap the cards you put in your deck because they have synergy with your gameplan for random bullshit. There's a reason Renounce Darkness and Explore Un'goro are memes.

You get a 4/8. Damage it 1 point, and you get a ysera - on board. That's 8/19 worth of stats off like 8 or 9 mana. Then your rotface takes damage from a trade and it summons another legendary. And then another. Saying it should have just played ysera in that situation is absolutely bonkers. It's far from the same. And rotface certainly doesn't require you to not run gromm, I don't see why you wouldn't run both. Tempo warrior at one point was running a 7 drop, 2x 8 drops, and a 10 drop. I don't buy this "I could just include these cards" in my deck for a second. That's like saying I could have ran 10 spells and cast them all in the same turn INSTEAD of playing yoggsaron.

Once someone does the averages, we'll see the expected value off of one or several procs off rotface. This card is on sneed's shredder power level, except it can summon multiple legendary cards and it doesn't have to worry about sylvanas shutting it down completely.

As for rogue, lets see... you swap your cards on 4, your ethereal peddler them on 5. Then you have auctioneer with several reduced cost cards. Yeah, total garbage and total meme. I'm not saying it's guaranteed to be competitive, and it probably won't, but it's not like there is no merit to the thief mechanic and it was heavily experimented with at one point. Obsidian shard can easily be a 0 mana 9 damage card as well. I am probably going to experiment with this stuff, not with the expectation that it'll dominate but I think it'll be okay to ladder with.

I don't have much to say about the warlock card. It looks underwhelming though for the cost to power it up. Whereas these clearly stronger cards are labelled as garbage, seems odd.

Dart

Maybe the deathknight will make up for the mediocre (it isn't thay bad) legendary like in Priest? ¯_(ツ)_/¯

TankUP

You get a 4/8. Damage it 1 point, and you get a ysera - on board.

I WISH Rotface had 8 health.

Like, it'd be playable!

But it has 6 health.

So it's not.

Also, yeah, if you get a free Ysera, you probably feel pretty good. But that means you have an activator ready to go the turn you play it, which is iffy.

You list all these trades you think it is going to do, but it can't. It's turn 8 plus and it has 6 HP. You're LUCKY if it procs once. That's a high roll. Then you have to pray it summons a decent card (and the odds aren't great it will.)

8 games out of 10 you'd be better off just running Ysera in the first place. You get a big body, tons of health, and you're guaranteed it procs at least once.

Like I said before, if I want to pray to RNGesus to high roll and wins game for me, I'll play Yogg.

As far as the rogue card, I'll defer to you. I seriously doubt it sees any play in a competitive deck, but you're seeing possibilities for it which is more than I can say for "Rotface", which is DOA.

As far as the Warlock card, it's 5 mana, it has 6HP, it has an effect that Warlock really wants, it has synergy with a ton of cards, and it can grow it's attack even after you play it. Seems alright to me. Anyone playing midrange or slow warlock in standard is playing this card.

Maybe the deathknight will make up for the mediocre (it isn't thay bad) legendary like in Priest? ¯_(ツ)_/¯

After seeing Rotface, I'm fairly certain they held off so long on the Warrior legendaries because they're shit. Hope I'm wrong.

I WISH Rotface had 8 health.

Like, it'd be playable!

But it has 6 health.

So it's not.

Also, yeah, if you get a free Ysera, you probably feel pretty good. But that means you have an activator ready to go the turn you play it, which is iffy.

You list all these trades you think it is going to do, but it can't. It's turn 8 plus and it has 6 HP. You're LUCKY if it procs once. That's a high roll. Then you have to pray it summons a decent card (and the odds aren't great it will.)

8 games out of 10 you'd be better off just running Ysera in the first place. You get a big body, tons of health, and you're guaranteed it procs at least once.

Like I said before, if I want to pray to RNGesus to high roll and wins game for me, I'll play Yogg.

As far as the rogue card, I'll defer to you. I seriously doubt it sees any play in a competitive deck, but you're seeing possibilities for it which is more than I can say for "Rotface", which is DOA.

I meant 6 obviously. And no I don't think you're lucky if it procs once. You're lucky if it procs twice without activation. But once is easy.

Warrior legendary seems like a cool card. It's going to be pretty rare that you don't get at least one proc off of it so it's very comparable to Sneed's in that respect. Warrior is likely to be running an absolute ton of Whirlwind effects for the foreseeable future so I could see this finding a spot.

Pooya

all the warrior legs has sucked after classic, it would be a surprise if that was good. It doesn't really matter.

Iron Jugg: joke card.

Varian: Overhyped and all that but it was a good refill in tempo warrior for a few months before standard. Silly players put this in control warrior and it was obviously trash there. Compared with all the 10 cost cards we got since, it's trash though.

Malkorok: Initially people thought it was decent enough but it wasn't and RNG was infuriating, it lasted like for a month before being removed from all decks when people realized for 7 mana it's not worth the risk. The funny part is that the card is getting worse and worse. They've been adding more and more low attack weapons in the last two sets and this set alone has two 1 attack weapons while high value weapons aren't added in the same numbers. It's trash and it's never going to be good anymore. You can dust it now.

Msog one: 2 mana 2/2 give away crucial hand info for a minor buff that probably doesn't matter much....

King Mosh: This is the best warrior legendary yet and with the new weapon it's a better deathwing for control warrior. People will play this now.

so it's not really bad. I mean look at warlock or hunter legs, lol. Now that is bad.

Could dragon Nzoth be a thing?

Hard to say, there's only a little overlap with Dragons and Deathrattles right now.

I could see it happening with Paladin. Even with just Tirion and two Bonedrakes you'd get quite a board back with N'Zoth. Main issue is that he's a dead card in hand until those three cards die.

There's also Deathwing, Dragonlord too I suppose.

TankUP

all the warrior legs has sucked after classic, it would be a surprise if that was good. It doesn't really matter.

Yep. And this might be the worst one yet. 8 mana for a 4/6 is insulting. I can spend 8 mana on a neutral epic that's 100x better than this.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Confessor Paletress was a fun card to run even when it wasn't optimal. The new warrior legendary definitely has that potential at least, though only in decks with whirlwind effects to begin with. It's enough to make me want to run it in Wild Patron Warrior just for the fun of it. There's even a theoretical future where this card becomes op depending on what cards they print, though it's unlikely that future will ever exist.

The real rage is the new Warlock legendary. Now that's Boogiemonster tier in class legendary form. I really hate legendaries that are both boring and bad and that 100% fits that mold.

zoukka

Slow warrior DOES NOT want a 8 man 4/6 that does NOTHING to the board when you play it. There is no way you cut Grommash or Primordial Drake for this garbage.

It's 8 mana. If i want Gromm or Ysera, I could put those cards in my deck. It's an 8 mana card that does nothing to the board the turn you play it unless you have an activator. Even if you do have an inner or something you've been holding all game (shit strategy for a tempo deck, btw) you're gonna damage your own minion on the off chance you get a decent statted card? OH BOY THE VALUE. Gromm/Inner rage actually can win games. This is a Trollden bait.

It is a slow value generating card. You keep comparing it to grommash for some reason which is a burst damage finisher.

Ysera doesn't do anything to the board on the turn it's played either, it doesn't need activators yes, but it's one mana more expensive. This card has the potential to generate a threatening board late game.

I'm not saying it's good, but you reacted to it like it ran over your dog lol. It definitely has potential.

Pooya

I'm not sure why they printed a worse mistress of pain as a legendary. If we had mop right now in standard, it would see a lot of play unlike back in gvg. We're at a point when buffing demons actually can be a thing but they completely stopped adding demon support for some reason and keep adding discard junk. It's not like buffing demons was ever a archetype before so I'm not sure why they're not trying. The so called demonlock barely had any demons, the deck was just about cheating out big things with voidcallers, it didn't have any demon synergy beyond that.

Whatever it is, it's not a 4/6, it's a 4/x + whatever it summons.

Also synergizes really well with the new weapon as it is a whirlwind for no cost on the second attack. And no, sometimes gromm is not the better play as you're not always killing your opponent on turn 8.

ANYWAY

I roughtly drafted a n'zoth paladin list. We still don't know the DK hero and like 2 cards i think so there is definitely room for change. I'll probably include 1 primordial drake and 1 more divine shield minion somewhere.

zoth_pal.jpg

TankUP

Cards which serve completely different purposes. But I guess you just have to spam those comparisons like they mean something.

It's an 8 drop competing with other cards of similar mana cost to find a slot in a deck. Saying better 8 drops exist is valid.

Let's be clear: Rotface will see no competitive play and is a waste of design space. "Summon a Random Legendary" is a bad effect overall and its stats are so bad that the slim possibility of high rolling is not worth choosing to run this instead of other cards in its mana tier. It's a zero out of five card that will only be run by players whose eyes light up every time they see the word random in a cards text.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Warlock card isn't even good in a vacuum.

Even if let's say you could choose which cards to discard... you would still need to discard like 4 cards before turn 5 for this to be worth it (and I would argue that a 5/6 Life steal with no demon card is barely constructed viable).

And the only way you are discarding that many cards in that short of a time is if you are playing an aggressive Warlock deck and in an aggressive Warlock deck a 5/6 Life steal minion isn't gonna cut it when you are playing 4/8 taunts and 5/7 chargers in a similar slot.

Control Discardlock is a meme unless proven otherwise.

That card should atleast say "cannot be discarded" or something.

Even if by some unfathomable miracle a slower discard deck works, that shit is going to be infuriating to play as and against due to the layers of RNG in every single play. Hearthstone can never allow discard to be targeted since they already printed extremely swingy cards when they get hit so that there's a payoff for the risk. It's similar to crystal core to me, doesn't matter if the card(s) involved is good or not, it's something that hopefully ISN'T good for the sanity of everyone playing. So every new card I see with some discard synergy is basically a total bummer.

It's so disappointing to see the direction Warlock has been going in since Handlock. Going from one of my favorite decks in the game to this stuff, it feels like it's all-in on the DK being good but it's likely just gonna be more discard stuff.

Peléo;245478900 said:
How would you guys feel if Lifesteal was added to the pool of Adapt options?
I feel like it'd be a good idea. I can think of instances where it'd be a good choice. Would also dilute the aggressive choices as well for things like Gentle Megasuar and Vicious Fledgling.

Uh, the context for all these cards is a meta that doesn't exist yet and that no one can possible predict perfectably. So insulting me for that is lazy and idiotic, the exact things you love to accuse everyone else of being.
It sounds like, by your own standards put forth in this post of yours, I'm just being accurate.

Peléo;245478900 said:
How would you guys feel if Lifesteal was added to the pool of Adapt options?
It would be cool.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
There's now something like 28-29 dragons in wild. So priest has a 3.5% chance of getting coldarra drake from the deathrattle dragon. I think that's the best shot at the drake in priest.

Aside from stealing it from someone actually running it in their deck.

Blizzard

Banned
Could we maybe chill a little bit in here? I'm enjoying the card reveals but the anger and hyperbole are starting to make me just feel sad.

Some things may not be the best, but maybe we can wait and see how the meta turns out with the rest of the cards, and maybe some people will have fun, and maybe it's not so bad.

Also Blizzard support got back and confirmed I didn't have the pity timer bug. I just screwed myself by opening a dupe legendary on July 28, the dupe protection got turned on August 1, and I foolishly bought 20 packs thinking reports of a pity timer reset and Un'Goro legendary might be possible for me.

TankUP

Could we maybe chill a little bit in here? I'm enjoying the card reveals but the anger and hyperbole are starting to make me just feel sad.

I'm just trying to discuss cards, and I'm getting called names for it. And I guess that's my fault?

Anyway, I put the guy who can't discuss things without resorting to insults on ignore and I suggest you do the same if you want to actually enjoy this thread.

I think it's healthy to at least wait to see the Warlock DK legendary before judging the Warlock legendary. It sure looks bad, but we don't know the synergy being attempted here.

If Questlock becomes viable, I will completely forgive Blizzard for nerfing Dreadsteed. =)

Some things may not be the best, but maybe we can wait and see how the meta turns out with the rest of the cards, and maybe some people will have fun, and maybe it's not so bad.

Also Blizzard support got back and confirmed I didn't have the pity timer bug. I just screwed myself by opening a dupe legendary on July 28, the dupe protection got turned on August 1, and I foolishly bought 20 packs thinking reports of a pity timer reset and Un'Goro legendary might be possible for me.

I'm still pissed about the Dreadsteed change, but otherwise I am fucking pumped for this set. Though I think it's hilarious that my #1 new card is the Jade Idol hate card. That is going to do so goddamn much for Renolock.

Mulgrok

at least the warlock legendary can gain attack from discarded stuff while it is already in play. Bolvar couldn't do that.

EDIT: reminds me when Darkshire councilman was predicted to be terrible because it is played with 1 attack.

Dart

Can't get over how ugly that Rotface card is. Not looking forward to either the HD or Golden version. Disgusting.

636375426312386978.png

jgminto

at least the warlock legendary can gain attack from discarded stuff while it is already in play. Bolvar couldn't do that.

EDIT: reminds me when Darkshire councilman was predicted to be terrible because it is played with 1 attack.
Darkshire Councilman is a lot easier to activate than the new Warlock legendary, it also has better unactivated stats for its mana cost.

Dahbomb

It's an 8 drop competing with other cards of similar mana cost to find a slot in a deck. Saying better 8 drops exist is valid.

Let's be clear: Rotface will see no competitive play and is a waste of design space. "Summon a Random Legendary" is a bad effect overall and its stats are so bad that the slim possibility of high rolling is not worth choosing to run this instead of other cards in its mana tier. It's a zero out of five card that will only be run by players whose eyes light up every time they see the word random in a cards text.
So if this ends up seeing some competitive play are you going to ask the mods to ban you again?

My main concern is that I'll discard it before it matters at all. 6 mana is a lot in a deck where half of your hand disappears every other turn.

Can't get over how ugly that Rotface card is. Not looking forward to either the HD or Golden version. Disgusting.
Can we all agree that it's the ugliest card in Hearthstone? It looks like Ursula and Stitches had a baby.

inky

My rewards for ~11 wins have been absolute garbage. Normal cards... gtfo. Nevermind that if had drawn one of my 3(!) Consecrations it would've been 12 wins.

Game is so awful right now.

It used to be that it was worthwhile for a Control Warrior to save Whirlwind to turn it into a random legendary card in your hand.

This card effectively morphs your Whirlwind into a random legendary on the board, and you still get the clear potential.

There are pros and cons to these differences, but I can see where they were going with the card's design. 4/7 was probably better just so it doesn't die to Fireball.

wiibomb

Rotface art is absolutely disgusting, and I praise Team 5 for that, it's quite effective and exactly what part of the set wants to accomplish.

That card actually makes me want a whole deck with that undead/abomination thematic

This makes me wonder if Festergut is also a legendary in this expac.

Also makes me wonder if the other bosses we're missing will be cards;

Lord Marrowgar
Lady Deathwipser
Gunship Battle (lul)
Deathbringer Saurfang
Festergut
Valithria

Guess we'll find out soon!

Edit: If I remember correctly, Arthas the Paladin is the hero card for Paladin, but I guess that doesn't count for the Lich King as a card.

I just had 2 different shamans, in a row, play devolve the turn after I got value off finja, as if devolve becomes better if you hit a bigger board summoned from finja, rather than just finja itself. I won both these games.

If we're in nitpicking mode I don't understand what Moorabi has to do with his appearance in WoW. He should turn into a giant mammoth or summon mammoths or something. I know these usually don't make a lot of sense but I love Gun'drak. Also like that Shaman is getting a lot of Drakkari cards.

The prince cards don't make sense but I don't remember anything about that fight really. Lana'thel at least has lifesteal which fits the sanlayn thing.

Edit: Also looking at cards I forgot about the stupid Bonemare value.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
This makes me wonder if Festergut is also a legendary in this expac.

Also makes me wonder if the other bosses we're missing will be cards;

Lord Marrowgar
Lady Deathwipser
Gunship Battle (lul)
Deathbringer Saurfang
Festergut
Valithria

Guess we'll find out soon!

Edit: If I remember correctly, Arthas the Paladin is the hero card for Paladin, but I guess that doesn't count for the Lich King as a card.

Arthas isn't the hero card he is a paladin skin you get for beating lich king with all 9 heroes.

Top Bottom