• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

Nachos

Something I really appreciate is all the Death Knight animations. They're all similar in that a bunch of particles surround the hero and corrupt them, but those particles change per-class, with Malfurion getting things like butterflies.

I just watched the video. ROFL @ DK Uther's hero power using the Dreadsteed entrance animation.
Are you just talking about the style of animation? The model's completely different, and it looks like the color changes for each horseman.

I NEED to see if there is an animation for the 4 horsemen when they are all summoned on the field.
There is. The video shows it off.

gutshot

Are you kidding me with a 5/3 Lifesteal weapon? That weapon alone is worth like 9 mana. Gladiator's Longbow is essentially a 5/2 with Lifesteal and it costs 7 mana. And then on top of that you get 5 armor and a hero power that can literally just win you the game? Goddamn.

Midrange Paladin is going to be tier 1 deck for sure.

Yeah Nachos, I am just talking about the animation.

The Druid DK isn't bad but not its game breaking either.

The Paladin DK though... I don't think they should've unveiled those side by side LMAO!

Paladin DK is potential 5/5 card. Like people are talking about OTK and stuff but nah...

5/3 Ashbringer with Life steal insane first of all. Then just having 2/2 minions that spawn with your hero power is amazing, that's Justicar power level there.

And then if you stick 4 of them on the board you win meaning you can't really be fatigued out. It's a Paladin win condition against those greedy as hell decks that people plan on using.

The Beardo stuff is cool and probably will get thrown in the deck but the card is just great standalone. Should honestly had been 10 mana.

This isn't a fair comparison because the DK gives you value over time with the hero power which Ancient of War doesn't. Two 1/5s and 5 armor is worth about 5 mana in the game, for 2 more mana you get a buffed hero power which has versatility.
I'm not saying the DK Druid is bad. Just that you look at Priest, which is going to get at least 4 free clear damage per turn plus the Lightbomb, and then look at the Druid and the power difference is staggering.

sibarraz

Banned
I love those heroes, I feel like paladin could be very op with some combinations of cards

EvY714b.png

For some reason Dirty Rat is playing for me this day

Kumo

Yeah Nachos, I am just talking about the animation.

I'm not saying the DK Druid is bad. Just that you look at Priest, which is going to get at least 4 free clear damage per turn plus the Lightbomb, and then look at the Druid and the power difference is staggering.

Probably because if you give druid anything too powerful, it becomes a problem because of their ability to ramp and also innervate.

Pooya

Druid DK is excellent all around, it's just not flashy or new but that's ok. It's easily competitive.

So far I think hunter got the worst one and even that it's good in any other class. It's just hunter that can't support it very well.

They're saving warlock and warrior for tomorrow, I assume they're damn good.

wiibomb

Druid's is not only cheaper, they have access to mana ramp and innervate. Different classes have a lot of different implications.

Aaaand this is why druid DK doesn't have huge battlecry or hero powers. In fact, I see those more suited to continue the game long after the DK summon, but with an advantage instead of a win condition by itself.

Does anyone think the Druid DK is quite similar to running Justicar Trueheart in Druid? That didn't see play back in the day, I wonder if this slightly different version will...

Druid's is not only cheaper, they have access to mana ramp and innervate. Different classes have a lot of different implications.

Probably because if you give druid anything too powerful, it becomes a problem because of their ability to ramp and also innervate.

Yup, Malfurion will be regularly played on turn 5, and some times even 4, so its power while lesser than others will determinate games earlier
That's all fair and true. I think I am mostly disappointed because the minions are low impact and the hero power isn't straight up better than Justicar. If the minions were 1/3 poison taunts that would have been more exciting to me. In general I feel skeptical about this new 1/2 no taunt poison trend in Druid. Especially when Potion of Madness is running around.

Beardo
Garrason commando

OTK
Yeah, I am not happy about this at all. If the hero power said that the autokill happened at the start of your next turn, it would be just a cool side effect. But now my opponent has an OTK that goes through all defensive options? Egh...

wiibomb

That's all fair and true. I think I am mostly disappointed because the minions are low impact and the hero power isn't straight up better than Justicar. If the minions were 1/3 poison taunts that would have been more exciting to me. In general I feel skeptical about this new 1/2 no taunt poison trend in Druid. Especially when Potion of Madness is running around.

Since they said a 4 mana spell that summons 2 1/2 spiders was too good, I'm holding my judgment just yet for that, we might be seeing this out of the future KFT context.

Yeah, I am not happy about this at all. If the hero power said that the autokill happened at the start of your next turn, it would be just a cool side effect. But now my opponent has an OTK that goes through all defensive options? Egh...

Not sure how this can be a true OTK even with Beardo / Garrison Commander. You still have to pay 2 mana for each hero power, so you're looking at 8 mana minimum to cast it 4 times, not counting the amount to pay for these minions and the spells to cast spells to refresh Beardo. You'll have at least an option to use removal on Beardo to prevent this.

I honestly thing the Paladin DK victory condition is going to go off a lot less than people think; it'll be a way to win grindy control matchups (and never against a class like Druid or Mage who can just hero power down the Horsemen)

I just want the rest of the deathknight cards. I am glad we got two today. Very exciting.

Since they said a 4 mana spell that summons 2 1/2 spiders was too good, I'm holding my judgment just yet for that, we might be seeing this out of the future KFT context.
In a meta with Shielded Minibots, Consecrate, Muster for Battle, Potion of Madness, Ship's Cannon, 2/4 weapons, Backstab...I need to cut myself off. There are so many ways to deal with a 2-health drop in this game that everyone plays. I can't see anyone giving a damn about having to clear this at 5 mana.

I think 4 mana was a sweet spot for it to be a strong card. Often pushing a card up by 1 mana means it needs to be retuned along with that change, and it looks like they missed that sweet spot.

Pooya

I can see the weapon getting nerfed in future, it's stupid. I'm also expecting, similar to quest rogue, casual players to complain about the horsemen because it feels bad.

But they made the whole thing look so cool that I'm not sure how one can hate losing to that. It's rarely ever going to matter.

Just curious, what are the current tech cards in the meta right now? All I can think of right now are;

Glolakka Crawler
Gluttonous Ooze
Eater of Secrets
Dirty Rat

Just wondering if there are more.

Mainly thinking about all of the crazy stuff that's possible with Knightsotfk and pondering how to work against it. Only card that comes to mind is Mindbreaker for now.

Of course, nothing can really be said until it's all playable.

sibarraz

Banned
Does anyone think the Druid DK is quite similar to running Justicar Trueheart in Druid? That didn't see play back in the day, I wonder if this slightly different version will...

The extra point of armor and attack makes a world of difference, sure you can't use both at the same time, but is still an strong hero power

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Just curious, what are the current tech cards in the meta right now? All I can think of right now are;

Glolakka Crawler
Gluttonous Ooze
Eater of Secrets
Dirty Rat

Just wondering if there are more.

Mainly thinking about all of the crazy stuff that's possible with Knightsotfk and pondering how to work against it. Only card that comes to mind is Mindbreaker for now.

Of course, nothing can really be said until it's all playable.
While it rarely gets used, Eye for an Eye is a counter to Freeze mage in aggressive Palladian decks.

Magnus

Something I really appreciate is all the Death Knight animations. They're all similar in that a bunch of particles surround the hero and corrupt them, but those particles change per-class, with Malfurion getting things like butterflies.

Are you just talking about the style of animation? The model's completely different, and it looks like the color changes for each horseman.

There is. The video shows it off.

Nah, that's a different video. No In-game footage.

Druid hero seems like it will fit in fine in Druid without really giving anything up. Doesn't require synergy of any kind so you can just play it and benefit.

Paladin hero is pretty nuts. The weapon is insane, summoning a 2/2 every turn is good and then having a chance to win the game on top of that is pretty back breaking for the opponent.

I think both of these will see plenty of play.

sibarraz

Banned
Even if you never trigger the win condition, the ashbringer + Lifesteal+ 5 Armor + Upgrading the silver hand knights seems like an auto include to any deck that is not aggro

Pooya

Winning with horsemen doesn't matter but the fact they can win the game gives them more importance. Your opponent will have to respect them and effectively it means you have much more hp to work with than you actually do. These things will soak up a lot of damage just like totems in shaman do but way better of course, It's a valuable effect, just because it rarely happens doesn't mean it's irrelevant. You can't just frost nova these and shoot face, I don't think any mage will win against paladin DK anyway.

While it rarely gets used, Eye for an Eye is a counter to Freeze mage in aggressive Palladian decks.
That's a good point, interesting to think about. Reminds me of the new Paladin spell Desperate Stand. It's usable on enemy minions, so if they play something like Rattling Rascal or Bittertide Hydra, you can eek out those negative effects a little bit more.

Ridli

DK Uther is great. I mean, he's not gonna win the meta by any means. But I love alternate win conditions. Beardo is the obvious combo, but it also plays into paladin secrets and taunts. Getaway kodo to hold a horseman in hand, redemption, get down.

I just hope I can get past rank 10 with it.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So of the death knights, I'll immediately craft anduin and Uther. I might want druid and Rogue. Hunter and mage i won't be upset to get in a pack but won't craft them probably. I'm not really interested in the shaman one at all.

Beckx

per dev on reddit, The horseman tokens work like shaman totems, they're random, but you can never have more than 1 of the same type.

Top Bottom