• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

Pooya

grave shambler seems like a decent 4 drop for rogue. 5/5 for 4 isn't bad, you can keep buffing it too! In arena, it's amazing. Curves into servant right away too.

Blizzard

Banned
grave shambler seems like a decent 4 drop for rogue. 5/5 for 4 isn't bad, you can keep buffing it too! In arena, it's amazing. Curves into servant right away too.
I think the equations someone mentioned was 2x+1 for stats. A 4-drop should be 4/5 or 5/4 by this logic, so 5/5 with the possibility of further buffs is overstatted already, definitely a nice option.

The Edwin-like card that potentially does face damage seems like an amusing option as well.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Still planning to stream tonight, guys. I don't know exactly what time it will start. Depends on how fast I can crank out organizing the card art and the availability of the person joining me tonight.

You can follow me on Twitch to get notified when I start streaming.

https://www.twitch.tv/zealousdemon

TankUP

I'm going to be sad if just adding The Lich King to Taunt Warrior ends up being better than the gimmick whirlwind deck they decided to push so hard in this set.

Maybe +1 Lich, +1 Dead Man's Hand to the standard Taunt Warrior list and call it a day.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I don't get why they didn't put a 4th Prince in the game to bring it all together and make them worth playing. Why why why?
Blizzard doesn't want to print a non legendary "singleton" cards, but wants to experiment with the style. They also know some people like making 30 legendary decks, and these help those.

What Blizzard really needs is another rarity that you can only have one of in a deck, but isn't as expensive as legendary.

Fewr

I wonder how Blizzard's suggested decks will look like now.

Last time they were supposed to be built around each hero's quest. This time I don't see them pushing a particular style of play too heavily, it's more about giving players tools to enhance or experiment with what we already have.

Or maybe not, I'm still a mega noob at this game.

Still planning to stream tonight, guys. I don't know exactly what time it will start. Depends on how fast I can crank out organizing the card art and the availability of the person joining me tonight.

You can follow me on Twitch to get notified when I start streaming.

https://www.twitch.tv/zealousdemon
I'm definitely watching. Thanks for the effort.
Right before starting, you could just ask who's available either here or on discord and add people who want to join.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I'm going to be sad if just adding The Lich King to Taunt Warrior ends up being better than the gimmick whirlwind deck they decided to push so hard in this set.

Maybe +1 Lich, +1 Dead Man's Hand to the standard Taunt Warrior list and call it a day.
There is no strong finisher to the whirlwind warrior. Grommash is not really enough and the hero card is one of the weakest of the bunch. Whirlwind on board late game is not super relevant and is the only upgraded hero power that is not always a net positive, and the loss of armor hero power has negative synergy with Shadowmourne.

TankUP

There is no strong finisher to the whirlwind warrior. Grommash is not really enough and the hero card is one of the weakest of the bunch. Whirlwind on board late game is not super relevant and is the only upgraded hero power that is not always a net positive, and the loss of armor hero power has negative synergy with Shadowmourne.

Yeah. I tried to build the deck--it's not there yet.

Here's a rough first draft of single target evolve.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/deckbuilder/shaman#270:2;636:2;33159:1;33160:1;35232:1;42045:2;49629:2;49677:1;49715:2;49719:2;55466:2;55473:1;55509:2;55511:2;55529:2;61834:1;62861:1;62893:2;62921:1;

Obviously not optimized or refined but that's roughly the direction I expect a deck running the hero card to take.
Too many 1x cards is always a sign that you need to make some hard cuts. Your deck also has a top-heavy curve with no clears outside of Maelstrom Portal, and no weapons. Aggro will beat you very often.

This is why people will play Pirate Warrior on release day. :p

fertygo

IMO they have done an excellent job with this expansion. Even the cards that are generally vanilla pack fillers do something that makes them considered for specific decks (like 4 mana 2/4 summon 2 1/1s, that's a solid card for token decks).

My only real concern with this expansion is that Pirate Warrior still looks dominant, there haven't been that many good anti aggro tools this expansion unlike in Ungoro. Best option are Defile and a few life steal cards but that by itself won't stop PW.
Voodoo Hexxer

Best taunt minion in game that not endgame bomb at least..

Dart

So Hearthstone is updating tomorrow then? Does that mean we get to see the golden cards!? I really want to see the animation of certain cards :)

I don't get why they didn't put a 4th Prince in the game to bring it all together and make them worth playing. Why why why?

Because there was only three princes in the fight and I doubt anybody but the most die-hard lore nuts could even name one of the other ones. And also because some sort of explicit synergy like that would involve four separate legs is pretty damn greedy.

edit: Honestly they probably don't deserve separate cards period.

TankUP

My favorite non-hero cards: Lich King, Doomerang, Blade Razor, Corpsetaker.

Heroes: Paladin, Druid, Priest. (in wild, Warlock)

Biggest disappointment: Whirlwind Warrior. It's the new Bolster warrior. Heavily pushed and still not good enough.

What I'm playing day one: Druid or Pally.

wiibomb

right now I wish I could open in my packs Priest DK, Paladin DK, may be Mage DK since it fits perfectly with reno decks in wild (and I have now naxx) and of course Lich King

apart from those, I'm not sure, I see potential in a lot of cards, but not enough to make me say they are absolutely going to change everything.

Magnus

Looks like the full gallery is up on the website as well. Probably the easiest way for mass consumption.

https://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/expansions-adventures/knights-of-the-frozen-throne/cards

I'd argue that Hearthpwn is (and almost always is) the best way to check out new cards. I find them fast and their layout super-friendly to navigate.

I *think* they have everything up now?:

http://www.hearthpwn.com/guides/2963-knights-of-the-frozen-throne-hearthstones-sixth

Too many 1x cards is always a sign that you need to make some hard cuts. Your deck also has a top-heavy curve with no clears outside of Maelstrom Portal, and no weapons. Aggro will beat you very often.

This is why people will play Pirate Warrior on release day. :p

Well, the issue is that the deck has to be greedy. Otherwise you might as well just play token.

Point taken though. I've already cut Thing from Below and Avalanche and put in two Lightning Storms.

Going to give it some more thought to see how I can better refine it.

Magnus

I haven't been this hyped for an expansion in awhile. Probably since Whispers of the Old Gods or even TGT.

Having Death Knight versions of each hero with new incredible designs/emotes is actually infinitely cooler than just adding a DK hero to the game. I'm really glad they went this route.

My only complaints so far:

- Kinda boring neutral legendaries outside of Lich King and Arfus
- No new Elise the Trailblazer for KOFT (I was hoping we'd see a similar legendary for every expansion from now on, since Elise has been so fun, but I guess it would've been busted to have more than one Elise-style card in your deck)
- Only two sources of DK cards - I'm kind of hoping more appear in future sets, actually.

I'd be SO on board for them creating new legendaries in future expansions that add Monk and Demon Hunter-style cards into the game in the same way. At the same time, it might be rad to get a 10th class down the road, even if it were something totally new, and not from WoW.

I'm also hoping they ramp up their new alt heroes. I swear they're coming out less frequently than HOTS and Overwatch heroes, which is crazy considering they need zero dev time and only production/art design.

My Deathknight thoughts:

Warlock - it's a stronger N'Zoth finisher, but for demons. Siphon Life doesn't seem particularly interesting - do Warlocks really want this over a 6/6 or extra card every turn in the late game? It certainly isn't a win condition like Jaraxxus. If you don't win from the battlecry, you probably aren't winning. If you are playing this, you are doing Krul at 9-mana, and then if they wipe the board you play the deathknight card to resurrect that board. It's like having to fight off two N'Zoth turns in a row. It's going to be really hard for people to deal with until they start using double Lightbombs.

Hunter - how does he live long enough to play this? Once again, Hunters have no draw. More importantly, Hunters have no board clear. If your opponent plays N'Zoth, Krul, or Hadronox, the game is completely over. You just don't have anything to answer those plays, and they are going to be in every single control match you face. The card might survive in some kind of midrange deck, but I'm skeptical.

Priest - this will be in every Priest deck in the game for the battlecry alone. The hero power is pretty lame. Priest should have gotten the Warlock DK power with Shadowform synergies for an entire new archetype instead of another Lightbomb.

Paladin - this will obviously be in every single Paladin deck that isn't straight-up aggro. 20 effective healing, clear, and better value from your hero power are all too good to pass up.

Rogue - it's Ice Block for Rogue. It will see a ton of play for that reason alone. The extra value and tempo every single turn means that Rogue can potentially outvalue the value classes as the game goes on. Every nuke in your deck is now a double nuke.

Druid - I'm unimpressed, but it's not bad. I am sure it will find play for the upgraded hero power, but the battlecry is undoubtedly the worst among the DK cards.

Warrior - it's a cool weapon, but in the late game it won't be wiping a lot of minions. The AoE tick is hard to evaluate with cards like Dead Man's Hand entering the meta. I'm having trouble seeing the value in 1 damage to everything every turn even with all the synergy cards they printed for it, but maybe it will pan out in ways I haven't seen.

Mage - auto-include in Reno Mage from now on. Reno Elemental N'Zoth Mage is already around, and this is going to push it to the forefront. Incredible value over time.

Shaman - it will see play but like the Druid it isn't very interesting. Maybe I'm biased because my Evolve attempts often end up worse than the cards they started with...probably the second best Timmy card in the game.

JesseZao

I'm also hoping they ramp up their new alt heroes. I swear they're coming out less frequently than HOTS and Overwatch heroes, which is crazy considering they need zero dev time and only production/art design.

It's really hard to crop art with a shadow border. Can't get the VO actors they want because of the strike maybe? Are all the DKs the OG VOs?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Really love this set. Feel like sets are generally too focused on one or two central themes in a set while not doing a whole lot else. This set is like a hodgepodge, feels like theres a little bit of everything going on. Its hard to say how things will shake out which is in itself kind of exciting.

Only complaint I have is how boring and bad some of the neutral legendary cards are. Some of these aren't just bad they're completely uninteresting which is a shame. Its totally fine to have bad cards even at legendary, just give them interesting unique effects at least.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I have 8200 dust and there doesn't seem to be many epics that are necessary so I might be able to craft 5 legendaries.

Mal-ganis might have to be one of them...

And krul, forgot about him. Damn that's too many. Never mind.

Magnus

They had issues with the drop shadow and centering the hero image for that one mage alt and maybe one other. Took a few months to fix it.

Gotcha. Surely they have a template system in place now, whereby any art they want to use can be quickly/easily made into a new hero...?

JesseZao

Gotcha. Surely they have a template system in place now, whereby any art they want to use can be quickly/easily made into a new hero...?

Only things that I could see being a bottleneck is the VO work or they are only going to release one per expansion as an incentive to play it.

They haven't flat out sold one for a while now.

Also, there'd be a ton more conplaints about mobile size if each hero had 4/5+ alts and got new ones every few months.

Magnus

Question: are all the DKs going to be golden if your hero is already golden? Or will you need to have a golden DK hero card for that?

Only things that I could see being a bottleneck is the VO work or they are only going to release one per expansion as an incentive to play it.

They haven't flat out sold one for a while now.

Also, there'd be a ton more conplaints about mobile size if each hero had 4/5+ alts and got new ones every few months.

Are the art and VO files really that large? I know it's about 20 lines per hero, and two pieces of art (standard and golden). I get all the rest of the reasoning though for sure.

Here's a rough first draft of single target evolve.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/deckbuilder/shaman#270:2;636:2;33159:1;33160:1;35232:1;42045:2;49629:2;49677:1;49715:2;49719:2;55466:2;55473:1;55509:2;55511:2;55529:2;61834:1;62861:1;62893:2;62921:1;

Obviously not optimized or refined but that's roughly the direction I expect a deck running the hero card to take.

Alright, here's the follow up version after taking into account Karst's criticisms.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/deckbuilder/shaman#270:2;525:1;636:2;676:2;33131:1;33160:1;42045:2;49629:2;49715:2;49719:2;55466:2;55473:1;55509:2;55511:2;55529:2;62861:1;62893:2;62921:1;

Thinking that might be too many board clears now though.

Blizzard

Banned
Gunshot what time do you think you'll have the poll up? I'm going to live stream my card reviews as a really bad rank 10 player. I'll try to work around zealous if a time is announced as long as the poll if up.

Fewr

Gunshot what time do you think you'll have the poll up? I'm going to live stream my card reviews as a really bad rank 10 player. I'll try to work around zealous if a time is announced as long as the poll if up.
Join Zealous in his stream. You'll save the rest of us time because we will watch 1 stream instead of two.

d:

Blizzard

Banned
Join Zealous in his stream. You'll save the rest of us time because we will watch 1 stream instead of two.

d:
I think he already has a partner lined up? If he wants someone else I do have a decent mic and upload connection though.

I'm not making any ad revenue, just doing this for fun while I vote rapid fire.

Top Bottom