• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

skulking geist is trash, it only counter jade druid, its too late to play vs inner fire priest and other decks it doesn't straight up destroy, it's eater of secrets level tech overhyped and will be over used for just a week or two. even in wild secret paladin is barely existent and pally has a million decks and most only run the murloc for secrets anyway now
This is so wrong.

Jade Druid
Secret Paaldin
Freeze Mage
Miracle Rogue
Control Warrior

All of these decks have crucial one mana cards. It might not see play in Standard, but Geist will define the Wild meta.

Bunga

Really looking forward to the release now. 53 packs, plus another 15 or so from Amazon Coins on release, 3000 gold and currently 4500 dust.

I'm gonna miss Burn Mage in its current form though, been playing it for a couple of months solidly now and I love it, I expect the expansion will change everything :(

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Not looking forward to seeing Lich King in every deck for a few weeks.

Given the Lich King, the already existing Taunt Warrior archtype and the new Druid taunts i think its time for The Black Knight to return.

Is it gonna be like last time, card released around 1 pm PDT?

I'm considering to take a day off from work.
This dude knows.

But you should expect the game servers to go down for an hour or so.

gutshot

The ratings so far are showing that this set has a much higher perceived power level than Un'goro. That expansion had only 6 cards that averaged out to a 4 or higher. So far, Frozen Throne has doubled that with 12 cards being 4 or higher.

Gadgetzan eclipses both of them combined though, with 20 cards at a 4 or higher, which seems way too much to me. It's possible that people have adjusted their power scale over time and are giving out less 4s and 5s on average.

Finalow

I still have no idea why they decided to print a single new mech card.

"there's 1 epic left we need to make, how about we put in the set a single unplayable mech??!!"

"yes, brilliant."

Dahbomb

The ratings so far are showing that this set has a much higher perceived power level than Un'goro. That expansion had only 6 cards that averaged out to a 4 or higher. So far, Frozen Throne has doubled that with 12 cards being 4 or higher.

Gadgetzan eclipses both of them combined though, with 20 cards at a 4 or higher, which seems way too much to me. It's possible that people have adjusted their power scale over time and are giving out less 4s and 5s on average.
Gadgetzan rating is right, we had a ton of very strong cards in that expansion like Jade Idol, Kazakus, Raza, Patches, Aya, Dragonfire Potion, DrakOP, Abyssal Enforcer, Bristleback, Mark of the Lotus, Jade Claws, Mistress of Mixtures, Second Rate Bruiserx Dirty Rat da gawd etc.

dumbo

skulking geist is trash, it only counter jade druid, its too late to play vs inner fire priest and other decks it doesn't straight up destroy, it's eater of secrets level tech overhyped and will be over used for just a week or two. even in wild secret paladin is barely existent and pally has a million decks and most only run the murloc for secrets anyway now

Jade druid is a very slow deck, which tends to dominate other slow decks. So "skulking geist" allows other slow decks to be viable (against jade druids anyway).

But, if you're not playing a slow control deck, then jade druid isn't really a problem and there's no obvious reason to pick the card.

That doesn't mean it's trash, but it's a card for specific decks.

gutshot

Gadgetzan rating is right, we had a ton of very strong cards in that expansion like Jade Idol, Kazakus, Raza, Patches, Aya, Dragonfire Potion, DrakOP, Abyssal Enforcer, Bristleback, Mark of the Lotus, Jade Claws, Mistress of Mixtures, Second Rate Bruiserx Dirty Rat da gawd etc.

Yeah, that is true. Gadgetzan was pretty nuts. And Un'goro definitely didn't introduce as many powerful cards but we also tended to misevaluate a lot of them. Hydrologist, Stonehill, and Lyra were all rated at less than 3, when they should be 4s and 5s.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Is it gonna be like last time, card released around 1 pm PDT?

I'm considering to take a day off from work.

Pretty sure cards are always released at 10am pst.

Looking through the list of epics, there are basically none that seem like auto crafts.

wiibomb

I'm pretty happy to see that epics on this set returned to be niche cards or wacky cards instead of how they were in ungoro where a lot of them were must crafts.

this set looks considerably cheaper than ungoro just because of that.

Ikkarus

Looking through the list of epics, there are basically none that seem like auto crafts.
I would say these ones are what I class as an auto craft for epics:

Skulking Geist
Obsidian Statue
Ultimate Infestation

Corpsetaker and Gnomeferatu are not essential but are decent cards IMO.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I would say these ones are what I class as an auto craft for epics:

Skulking Geist
Obsidian Statue
Ultimate Infestation

Corpsetaker and Gnomeferatu are not essential but are decent cards IMO.

I'm not sure obsidian statue even gets run. I think people will run double free from amber instead. And keep running medivh.

Ultimate infestation is definitely an auto craft if you play big druid but i am missing too many of the legendaries for that build.

Ikkarus

I'm not sure obsidian statue even gets run. I think people will run double free from amber instead.

Ultimate infestation is definitely an auto craft if you play big druid but i am missing too many of the legendaries for that build.
Barnes and Shadow Essence will have me wanting to try it at least a few times in my Priest decks.

wiibomb

I won't be mad if I get one of those in a pack, obsidian statue might be run in priest like how primordial drake is run in some, just 1.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
i havent seen all cards yet but... is there any redeeming sinergy with the Princes?
I just know im gonna get all 3 of 'em. =/

wiibomb

i havent seen all cards yet but... is there any redeeming sinergy with the Princes?
I just know im gonna get all 3 of 'em. =/

absolutely none.

they are garbage and the only one that might be usable is keleseth, even that one is dubious.

reddit had once a thread with a pretty good theory about why they are so bad, that so far is the only reasonable explanation why they exist.

I'm not sure how this new expansion will affect it, but I really hope Control Warrior gets stronger. Started getting back into traditional (non-taunt quest) CW, and it's still one of my favorite deck types ever.

Fersis

absolutely none.

they are garbage and the only one that might be usable is keleseth, even that one is dubious.

reddit had once a thread with a pretty good theory about why they are so bad, that so far is the only reasonable explanation why they exist.

The only synergy I know for them is to dust them all in row.

lol you're so mean!

Beckx

Working on a silly Jade/Taunt druid. I know it's bad but give me your thoughts on things to cut/change. Only one Jade Idol under the assumption that geists will be everywhere in the first few weeks and I just want to bait people to blow up their own cards. Kun is in the deck to drop a 7/7 the same turn as another big late card, or to grab armor in dire straits (that usually means I lose though...). Taldaram is there b/c I know I'm unpacking one of these dudes and he could be a fun late game play.

I'm a terrible deck maker so savage away.

0 Innervate × 2
1 Jade Idol × 1
2 Druid of the Swarm × 2
2 Loot Hoarder × 1
2 Wild Growth × 2
2 Wrath × 2
3 Crypt Lord × 2
3 Jade Blossom × 2
3 Prince Taldaram × 1
4 Strongshell Scavenger × 2
4 Swipe × 2
5 Spreading Plague × 2
6 Aya Blackpaw × 1
6 Jade Behemoth × 2
7 Malfurion the Pestilent × 1
8 The Lich King × 1
9 Hadronox × 1
10 Kun the Forgotten King ×1
10 Ultimate Infestation x2

The only synergy I know for them is to dust them all in row.

the only way to be sure to unpack them again!

Blizzard

Banned
absolutely none.

What was the theory?

This is so wrong.

Jade Druid
Secret Paaldin
Freeze Mage
Miracle Rogue
Control Warrior

All of these decks have crucial one mana cards. It might not see play in Standard, but Geist will define the Wild meta.

secret pally barely exists and pally has a million diff wild decks that are on the same power level.

miracle runs cold blood and conceal BUT....geist is a singlet in any deck. if you run 2 of it, good luck winning with 2 6 mana 4/6's. the chances of you having that singlet before the midgame....not really that good. and dropping it late doesn't do much to that deck. freezemage can still likely burn you down without taking out 2 frostbolts. shield slam is important waaay before you're going to drop skulking geist.

what we have learned in HS is the more expensive a tech card, the worse it is. look at eater of secrets, it has the potential to eat half a dozen cards, but it's still barely used. gluttonous ooze and golakka crawler and eater of secrets not only hate on your opponent's deck, they also give you a potentially large bonus to push through to win. 6 mana is too much of an investment to make a dent against deck like control warrior which has plenty of ammo not to give a damn that you discarded the one shield slam left in their deck. it's good against jade druid and even then in wild jade druid can still beat you with some of the new cards thrown in for alternative power and branning out extra jades to suffocate your weak 6 mana 4/6 power play. it's not good imo but it will force some modifications like how i said about making jades pack more power into their deck.

Also silence priest loses inner fire, their win condition.

silence priest's win condition kills you on turn 4 or 5 in wild. a 4/6 on turn 6 MAYBE 1/3 OF THE TIME isn't going to stop it. and if you get handcuffed into playing that card against, idk, any aggro deck in the game, you are dead.

The only way I could see the Princes being useful is if they had a separate effect where you always got them on their 'respective,' turn. (2, 3, or 4)

Granted, it's not good for Prince 3 since he's combo material, but eh. Always getting their effect on that turn might make them ok, but who knows.

eater of ecrets does not push through anything.

eater of secrets provides lethal against freeze mage. and if you hit it on mysterious challenger (since geist was specifically noted as anti secret pally deck), it wins just as hard as geist for less mana. and it's not that good of a card. geist is worse. the THREAT of geist is good; you are actually better playing a renolock deck without it, with your opponent fearing that they must burn jade idol asap. but the card's power isn't very high in games imo. it lose you more matchup than it wins you esp in the wild meta where you are dead the turn after you drop it. nice 4/6 against my paladin. sunkeeper tariming a wide board or spikeridge steeding my bolivar , dropping dr boom, all the plays that come after it blow it away

lots of nzoth decks don't even run sylvanas specifically bc dropping a 6+ mana card has to affect the game right away and that is as powerful of a card as there is

drakkari enchanter + emperor opens the door to immensely more powerful OTK's which will make people miss the days of ice lance.

Bizazedo

eater of secrets provides lethal against freeze mage. and if you hit it on mysterious challenger (since geist was specifically noted as anti secret pally deck), it wins just as hard as geist for less mana. and it's not that good of a card. geist is worse. the THREAT of geist is good; you are actually better playing a renolock deck without it, with your opponent fearing that they must burn jade idol asap. but the card's power isn't very high in games imo. it lose you more matchup than it wins you esp in the wild meta where you are dead the turn after you drop it.

But the schadenfreude when you pull it off?

Priceless.

FeD.nL

Barnes and Shadow Essence will have me wanting to try it at least a few times in my Priest decks.

Yeah I'm gonna try a spell heavy control priest that runs 2 of those and barnes, the rest spells (maybe Arthas). It's gonna suck but the time when I get 7 of those between the 2 in the deck, barnes, shadow essence and eternal servitude is gonna be worth it.

eater of secrets provides lethal against freeze mage. and if you hit it on mysterious challenger (since geist was specifically noted as anti secret pally deck), it wins just as hard as geist for less mana. and it's not that good of a card. geist is worse. the THREAT of geist is good; you are actually better playing a renolock deck without it, with your opponent fearing that they must burn jade idol asap. but the card's power isn't very high in games imo. it lose you more matchup than it wins you esp in the wild meta where you are dead the turn after you drop it.

no eater of secrets allows you to get lethal damage in before they can iceblock again it doesn't do the damage and isn't particularly threatening when you don't have lethal.

Secret pally has always been okay iwth getting their secrets eaten after MC. It's the draws where you have a couple secrets up on turn 4 and they get eaten that were disastrous for the deck.

wiibomb

lol you're so mean!

I'm not usually mean, but these actually make me angry, they not only are bad, very bad cards, they dilute the legendary pool, and none other than the neutral legendary pool, which should be the versatile one to work many different decks.

Team 5 is making me worried I open one of those fuckers in my hard earned packs

What was the theory?

there was once a trio of card in MtG that had a synergistic effect that combined they were pretty powerful, may be too much, Wizards had to nerf one of them, one of they key cards because they were ruling the meta back when they were released.

The theory is that Team 5 had some awesome synergy working among these 3 cards with that "no X mana cards in your deck" effect, but they found out they were too powerful and decided to pre-nerf the cards before they had a chance to ruin the meta.

I personally think they arrived to that conclusion with the MtG designer they invited. He might have told them about those cards they once created for MtG.

EDIT: the MtG card wasn't nerfed, it was banned.

there was once a trio of card in MtG that had a synergistic effect that combined they were pretty powerful, may be too much, Wizards had to nerf one of them, one of they key cards because they were ruling the meta back when they were released.

The theory is that Team 5 had some awesome synergy working among these 3 cards with that "no X mana cards in your deck" effect, but they found out they were too powerful and decided to pre-nerf the cards before they had a chance to ruin the meta.

I personally think they arrived to that conclusion with the MtG designer they invited. He might have told them about those cards they once created for MtG.

if we're talking about the same thread I just goolged then the cards mentioned aren't synergistic at all and Wizards can't really nerf cards as they print their cards out and they try to stay away from cards not doing what they say on them. They've done it when necessary but your description doesn't ring any bells.

Skullclamp, Tarmogoyf and the RTR card just were stories from development 2 times being how they fucked up. They eventually had to ban Skullclamp because it's a truly stupid card.

wiibomb

wait... ultimate infestation is a 4-5 card in the gaf poll??? seriously? I thought that card was way too slow and costly.

if we're talking about the same thread I just goolged then the cards mentioned aren't synergistic at all and Wizards can't really nerf cards as they print their cards out and they try to stay away from cards not doing what they say on them. They've done it when necessary but your description doesn't ring any bells.

Skullclamp, Tarmogoyf and the RTR card just were stories from development 2 times being how they fucked up. They eventually had to ban Skullclamp because it's a truly stupid card.

I don't remember the cards, and it wasn't nerfed sorry, it was banned, that's what MtG does.

Do you have the link to the reddit thread?

oh most of what he said is correct, there's nothing about synergy between those cards in there too.

I don't really agree with his conclusion though. There's little precedence for doing last minute changes to 3 legendary cards and the examples he's cited where made in a period of 9 years.

Top Bottom