• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

wiibomb

I was actually thinking the princes could work without that stupid limitation. may be on some interesting aplications, but those limits are only stupid.

I hope I don't eat my words later if these cards turn out to be amazing

Blizzard

Banned
I think the prince idea is neat. Basically although I hated Reno's effect, the Reno era was interesting because it was a deckbuilding challenge to create an effective deck using only 1 copy of each card.

In this case, the question is whether you can create an effective deck without using a certain mana cost. It's a deckbuilding puzzle, but unfortunately the rewards are not remotely worth it.

dumbo

In this case, the question is whether you can create an effective deck without using a certain mana cost. It's a deckbuilding puzzle, but unfortunately the rewards are not remotely worth it.

You can theoretically use the 2-cost prince in a quest hunter deck. Unfortunately, that still doesn't seem to make quest hunter viable.

Blizzard

Banned
You can theoretically use the 2-cost prince in a quest hunter deck. Unfortunately, that still doesn't seem to make quest hunter viable.
Even if hunter quest were viable, you would have to save the prince until after playing the quest, you would have to give up all secrets (doable), and you would have to give up the following or make sure you drew them all first:

* All hunter secrets
* Kindly Grandmother
* Crackling Razormaw
* Scavenging Hyena

Xanathus

I'm kinda ok with the 4 drop Prince

could've playable in Rogue

4 drop Prince is actually very playable in Plant Rogue with Arcane Giants, just replace Shehrazin with the Prince. Actually gives Rogue a way to heal and taunt as well. Looking at a bunch of Miracle Rogue lists, there are no cards in the 4 mana slot except for Shehrazin.

TankUP

Ya'll realize this card does damage to a RANDOM minion, right?

ICC836-enUS-small-6fe0ea6526c5a6481f49a92685258d7250ac7a6b5b87bc8343694c99199a4cd7934cfaed74d2a2ee20d75a9f3c376ebfcafbb8e0848c37b00c19f4f2a6715e49.png
How is this even CLOSE to a 5 star card?

TankUP

I didn't even realize it said random until I read it out loud on stream.

I saw the people rating it 4 and 5 on the spreadsheet and the only thing I can think of is they misread the card. This is a card you are bummed you got from Book or Tome except in super fringe situations. No way you ever put this in a deck on purpose unless they reprint Flame Waker.

Blizzard

Banned
I saw the people rating it 4 and 5 on the spreadsheet and the only thing I can think of is they misread the card. This is a card you are bummed you got from Book or Tome except in super fringe situations. No way you ever put this in a deck on purpose unless they reprint Flame Waker.
Actually now I'm confused. I rated this a 2, and I can't find a single 5 on the spreadsheet for it. Are you certain you're looking at the right card?

TankUP

Actually now I'm confused. I rated this a 2, and I can't find a single 5 on the spreadsheet for it. Are you certain you're looking at the right card?

Well, maybe there aren't any fives. I was surprised there was anything for this particular card higher than a one.

The mage ratings in general seemed really inflated to me. I don't think they got much this set.

wiibomb

Well, maybe there aren't any fives. I was surprised there was anything for this particular card higher than a one.

The mage ratings in general seemed really inflated to me. I don't think they got much this set.

"I won't be mad if I get this from a random card generation effect"

that is why I got it a 2 and not 1.

I think I rated very few cards 1 or 5.

Pooya

yeah 4 cost prince is almost like a coprsetaker with different deck condition, not every class can meet corpsetaker's condition, only paladin can really, it will never get lifesteal elsewhere. Not an exciting legendary but it's not unplayable, it's very fringe.

gutshot

I like 3 cost prince the most really, not sure if theres ever a deck for him but a 3 mana clone is decent.

Best bet seems like Malygos Druid. Druid doesn't really have any crucial 3-cost cards to begin with and being able to Malygos + Innervate + Prince + Moonfire + Moonfire seems like a pretty good combo.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Best bet seems like Malygos Druid. Druid doesn't really have any crucial 3-cost cards to begin with and being able to Malygos + Innervate + Prince + Moonfire + Moonfire seems like a pretty good combo.

5 cards 22 damage doesn't feel super strong.

Beckx

plus you don't have to have *zero* of the card type, especially if you're thinking of a late game use like that. it's a Barnes-esque card that's more controllable.

I still don't want to unpack it

Blizzard

Banned
I would think vicious fledgling (e.g. innervate + vicious fledgling) is pretty key to druid, but I suppose it's also easy to answer (frost bolt, wrath, fiery battle axe).

gutshot

5 cards 22 damage doesn't feel super strong.

Yeah, it's not super strong, but it's the only good combo I can come up with. It's probably not a viable deck archetype but Malygos Druid has been a thing in the past, although that was when Living Roots was still in Standard.

Fewr

I secretly hope there's something in the prince cards that no one has seen yet and we'll all be eating crow when the meta settles.

The only instance where I see them working would be in Hunter quest with the whole deck composed of princes, 1 minion cards, Hemet, Hunter DK... aaand it obviously wouldn't work at all.

EDIT: just read quest being discussed above.
Even if hunter quest were viable, you would have to save the prince until after playing the quest, you would have to give up all secrets (doable), and you would have to give up the following or make sure you drew them all first:

* All hunter secrets
* Kindly Grandmother
* Crackling Razormaw
* Scavenging Hyena
You'd have to wait until like turn 5 at least for quest to be completed, but you'd be using princes to buy time so quest would arrive later. I don't see this working at all.

Better than anything I was able to come up with.

If only Edwin wasn't 3 cost it'd be a possible fit in rogue.

dumbo

* All hunter secrets
* Kindly Grandmother
* Crackling Razormaw
* Scavenging Hyena

The point of the prince isn't to buff the raptors (4/3 to 5/4 isn't a huge deal), but to buff the 7+ 1-mana minions that you're running in order to trigger the quest. So playing the prince on turn 2 is fine.

The problem with the deck is the lack of card draw. Playing 1-mana minions without card draw is suicide. (even after playing carnassa you can go several turns before drawing a raptor).

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Yeah, it's not super strong, but it's the only good combo I can come up with. It's probably not a viable deck archetype but Malygos Druid has been a thing in the past, although that was when Living Roots was still in Standard.

My question is what hilarious combo decks are enabled by being able to guarantee two emperor ticks in one turn.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Is the Lich king being massively overrated?

I feel like every time there's a highly rated 8+ cost card it's all wishful thinking.

Thaurissian + copy + trigger twice = 4?

(I'm being silly though)

Not enough mana without an emp tick! Dammit!

Pooya

those arena changes seem decent. Picking your synergy at the start seems helpful.

Call of the Light and Void special promotion, interesting. Another WoW colab maybe.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

Blizzard

Banned
this is definitely something for twitch prime:
And there's still no feature for me to look at my card back while I wait on my opponent to rope out, which continues to make me not care much about card backs.

They could simply make clicking the skull below your deck pop up the deck back.

wiibomb

Oh man. I do pay for Amazon prime, but my country doesn't yet allow my Amazon acct to be linked to Twitch. :((

there are ways to go around that.

I used a way around that to get amazon prime even if I wasn't on one of the countries it launched with. That's how I have my tyrande (and probably this promotion)

And there's still no feature for me to look at my card back while I wait on my opponent to rope out, which continues to make me not care much about card backs.

They could simply make clicking the skull below your deck pop up the deck back.

this is something I really wish, right now my own cardback is almost non-exist for me.

gutshot

It's the Lich king being massively overrated?

I feel like every time there's a highly rated 8+ cost card it's all wishful thinking.

Not enough mana without an emp tick! Dammit!

I don't think it is being overrated at all. The Lich King has Taunt so it immediately effects the board and you are guaranteed to get at least one Death Knight card off of it, which are very swingy cards. And even if it isn't run in a lot of decks, you will see it chosen off of Stonehill quite a bit. It's very good.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I don't think it is being overrated at all. The Lich King has Taunt so it immediately effects the board and you are guaranteed to get at least one Death Knight card off of it, which are very swingy cards. And even if it isn't run in a lot of decks, you will see it chosen off of Stonehill quite a bit. It's very good.

I mean i gave it a 5 i think so i personally think it's insanely good better than boom etc. I think it's the card that will completely push boom out in wild.

I just figured i was probably wrong.

The medivh/free from amber interaction has really gotten insane. It now has a chance for producing two lich kings, hah.

Top Bottom