• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

Grief.exe

The chances of reopening a legendary for the vast majority of Hearthstone players is extremely low. Most people would be better served dusting pointless legendaries, while the top percentage of players will likely be better served saving.

There are some great flavor texts. I love the DK cards.

Exploding Bloatbat:
"We've all been there after a night of one-too-many funnel cakes."

Blackguard:
"Did I ever tell you the story of when I single-handedly took down a 29/29 C'Thun?" -Reno Jackson

I like how trump reviews. It's not typically how I review cards, his is actually more difficult trying to predict the meta to some extent. I do that as well, but on a smaller scale. If you don't understand how he reviews it or don't like how he reviews it, it's a bit cheap to criticize it imo, granted he was far off last set for sure.

Anyway, reynad's live stream review should be starting soon. https://www.twitch.tv/reynad27

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I like how trump reviews. It's not typically how I review cards, his is actually more difficult trying to predict the meta to some extent. I do that as well, but on a smaller scale. If you don't understand how he reviews it or don't like how he reviews it, it's a bit cheap to criticize it imo, granted he was far off last set for sure.

He was far off because his system sets himself for failure because meta-prediction is difficult to impossible. If Google DeepMind ran millions of simulations of games it might be able to predict a meta, but us mere mortals cannot. Too many variables.

His system also rates all cards that don't see play as equally worthless (they aren't) and the distinction between 2, 3, and 4 star ratings is difficult to understand and highly subjective.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I'm disappointed that there is still no new inspire minions, especially in an expansion that centers around hero powers so much.

Trumps reviews are the absolute worst, not even worth watching. His rating system is so dumb.

Trump wasn't even that wrong with that, priest had some breakout decks for a short period but it was overall one of the worse classes of ungoro throughout the sets life, at least until caverns below got nerfed.

He was far off because his system sets himself for failure because meta-prediction is difficult to impossible. If Google DeepMind ran millions of simulations of games it might be able to predict a meta, but us mere mortals cannot. Too many variables.

His system also rates all cards that don't see play as equally worthless (they aren't) and the distinction between 2, 3, and 4 star ratings is difficult to understand and highly subjective.

I think it's okay to disagree with how he rates cards but if that is how he wants to do it, that is his choice. He is actually doing a fairly objective evaluation though. He can look back in the past expansion and determine whether he was accurate or not. He isn't trying to predict whether a card is good in a vacuum or might see play in the far future. He is predicting how good the cards will end up being in a solved meta 2-3 months post release (whenever the meta is mostly figured out).

And the distinction between 2, 3 and 4 is actually simple. He has it up on screen.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I'm disappointed that there is still no new inspire minions, especially in an expansion that centers around hero powers so much.

YES.

My biggest disappointment in hearthstone is that they seem to refuse to revisit design ideas from expansion to expansion. Things that could be awesome but aren't explored very well yet like the Tri-class cards (remember how those are a thing?) or Inspire or Joust or any other number of effects. Those could be interesting even if their initial implementations were bad, but apparently there is no desire to look at them again. The only ideas to stick around is Discover. That's it. Inspire was basically from 1 set and never really seen again. Joust ditto (but even so it wasn't really a new keyword just a set of weird battlecries). Tri-class cards ditto. It's bizarre.

Sheroking

Trump wasn't even that wrong with that, priest had some breakout decks for a short period but it was overall one of the worse classes of ungoro throughout the sets life, at least until caverns below got nerfed.

There's really only one class that hasn't seen SOME significant play in Un'Goro, though, so he WAS wrong.

Cards that seem good-but-off-meta DO need to be judged more objectively than "this class may not see play in the next 4-5 months".

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
"One because Priest won't see play."
Only one person brought Priest to the Spring Tournament and it went 1-1. Not to say the class was unplayable but the power level of the cards is maybe overstated by the community. Trump's take on cards is usually pretty bad but at least he tries to evaluate stuff more than someone like Kibler, who might as well just be giving a card description most of the time.

Dahbomb

Trying to parse through Trump's review and structure is an exercise in frustration.

I get that he tries to evaluate cards based on a very specific and structured meta but he's bad at doing that so most of his review ends up being meaningless. Most of the time he bases his review on existing archetypes rather than creation of new ones (unless Blizzard is clearly forcing archetypes like with Jades).

Anyway, reynad's live stream review should be starting soon. https://www.twitch.tv/reynad27

Nice to see him doing it on stream finally, his youtube review videos have never been timely

DGvXQ1QVwAAFVKr.jpg

rip

Pooya

I think if you can build a hunter deck that beats control/druid/rogue and similar, hunter will see play. It doesn't matter that you lose to pirates. Right now hunter isn't even good at beating druid. Not just tokens, jade can handle hunter very well. Primordial Drake completely destroys hunter later in the game. I think that card does too much for a neutral card honestly. Taunt warrior completely destroys hunter now. Hunter really has no role in the meta game right now.

Couple of their new cards are very promising, tracker would be insane in any other class, still it could be good in hunter and Deathstalker is a legit good card, you just need more cards that support it. I think midrange hunter style of deck is dead and honestly good riddance. They will push enough cards until a new hunter deck works and when that day comes, you will want deathstalker. None of the cards of this set helps midrange. That's good news. Maybe it works with this expansion, seems unlikely right now but I think there will be something when next set arrives.

TankUP

It doesn't under the system of review he uses.

Well, I don't like his system of reviews and I don't think his reviews deserve any respect or attention because he does things like rate every card for a class a one or uses his review in order to spread fake leaks about unannounced cards. He's a troll. He doesn't take reviewing cards seriously so I don't think anyone else should either.

Well, I don't like his system of reviews and I don't think his reviews deserve any respect or attention because he does things like rate every card for a class a one or uses his review in order to spread fake leaks about unannounced cards. He's a troll. He doesn't take reviewing cards seriously so I don't think anyone else should either.

Having actually watched his discussion on the cards, I completely disagree.

He actually tries to build decks with the cards and if he can't build a deck he thinks is good, he rates it lower. How is that not taking his review seriously.

scarlet

Don't dust the legendary you don't want, especially from this set, cuz you'll get them again.

I'm gonna spend my gold for this expansion for the next 2 months.

TankUP

Don't dust the legendary you don't want, especially from this set, cuz you'll get them again.

I'm gonna spend my gold for this expansion for the next 2 months.

*you have a slightly higher chance to get them again.

For anyone who is patient / doesn't need the dust, it's highest expected value to keep all your legendaries until you're "done" opening card packs of that type.

However, if you really need the dust I would still dust the card and deal with the slightly higher chance of pulling it again.

As far as Trump, I'm really down him right now because of his lies about the Warrior hero. There was no call to do that.

is there any place that has an easy list of like "these are the best 10 cards."

or what are the best cards?

I cna't find anything its kinda weird.

Here you go.

1. Paladin Deathknight
2. Rogue Deathknight
3. Mage Deathknight
4. Warlock Deathknight
5. Druid Deathknight
6. Shaman Deathknight
7. Warrior Deathknight
8. Priest Deathknight
9. The Lich King
10. Skulking Geist

Not in any particular order.

scarlet

*you have a slightly higher chance to get them again.

For anyone who is patient / doesn't need the dust, it's highest expected value to keep all your legendaries until you're "done" opening card packs of that type.

However, if you really need the dust I would still dust the card and deal with the slightly higher chance of pulling it again.

As far as Trump, I'm really down him right now because of his lies about the Warrior hero. There was no call to do that.

Yeah, that's what I actually meant

I don't think obsidian statute is a top 10 card, not even close tbh.

Same with eternal servitude. I don't think corpsetaker is top 10 material either, although I think it is okay.

Polls like this tend to overrate power cards which are amazing in dream scenarios and overlook solid, consistent efficiency. Defile and blood razor look like the best cards on that list to me.

greepoman

Anyone watching Toast testing the new fandral interaction? The choose one spells are now in 2 parts. So if you wrath an acolyte it draws 2 because the death isn't processed in between. Also now kills 1 health divine shield minions now.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I like Trump's system. Rating cards without considering the potential meta is pointless, and I hate when people say "well i would have been right if the meta was different".

Pooya

Anyone watching Toast testing the new fandral interaction? The choose one spells are now in 2 parts. So if you wrath an acolyte it draws 2 because the death isn't processed in between. Also now kills 1 health divine shield minions now.

Interesting, how does it interact with spelldamage? 2 then 4 damage?

edit: I quoted wrong.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
And the distinction between 2, 3 and 4 is actually simple. He has it up on screen.

2 star - Will be sparingly played
3 star - A weaker card in a Tier 2 or Tier 3 deck
4 star - A strong card in some competitive decks

You can argue that the difference between 2 stars and 4 stars is pretty large, but the overlap in descriptions between those categories and 3 stars is fairly huge. Like, how is a weak card in a Tier 2 or Tier 3 deck not basically the same thing as being "sparingly" played? Especially when his system basically considers Tier 4 decks as "not played". His 3-star description is so vague and has so much overlap with the other ratings that he literally only gave four cards in the entire Un'Goro set a 3-star rating in his re-review.

In the scale that the community as a whole tends to use (see Reddit and GAF), you can describe each star category in a word or two. You can't do that with Trump's system.

2 star - Will be sparingly played
3 star - A weaker card in a Tier 2 or Tier 3 deck
4 star - A strong card in some competitive decks

You can argue that the difference between 2 stars and 4 stars is pretty large, but the overlap in descriptions between those categories and 3 stars is fairly huge. Like, how is a weak card in a Tier 2 or Tier 3 deck not basically the same thing as being "sparingly" played? Especially when his system basically considers Tier 4 decks as "not played". His 3-star description is so vague and has so much overlap with the other ratings that he literally only gave four cards in the entire Un'Goro set a 3-star rating in his re-review.

In the scale that the community as a whole tends to use (see Reddit and GAF), you can describe each star category in a word or two. You can't do that with Trump's system.

That is not the description he had up on the stream when I watched.

Polls like this tend to overrate power cards which are amazing in dream scenarios and overlook solid, consistent efficiency. Defile and blood razor look like the best cards on that list to me.

I think the paladin DK hero, ultimate infestation, maybe blood razor are the best. Defile has a ton of potential though.

vall03

Oh! Update is also up on Amazon. Decided not to pre-purchase though. No use wasting money when I'm barely playing the game beyond daily quests, weekly Tavern Brawls and monthly Rank 20.

Top Bottom