• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

scarlet

An 8/8 taunt for 8 isn't anything special, I think. In most matches, he won't live beyond a turn, so you're just getting one extra card. Ysera sees no play, and while she doesn't have Frostmourne, all of her spells are generally playable, while Lich King's spells range from unplayable to mediocre to Frostmourne, depending on your deck and situation. In 7/8 plays you won't get Frostmourne, and if you look at all the other stuff you can get I think the card becomes questionable.

I think it will have its place in a few decks, but people are going nuts for something really inconsistent and risky (tempo loss). Like, the only deck I would run this in over Ragnaros in Wild is Quest Warrior, and a Taunt Druid or Big Body Druid deck if that ever becomes a thing.

This is why I rated him 4/5, but I think most of the spells are useful tho. More interested in that deal 5 damage or heal 5 card.

If we can get more than 2 cards then we're already lucky. Initially was gonna craft him gold, but man that gold animation is underwhelming.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
T7BleX5.jpg

iUajYu3.jpg

Dahbomb

8/8 Taunt is not a significant tempo loss, not as much as Ysera. More importantly unlike Ysera, Lich King comes with a taunt which means you can play him even if you might be dead on board unlike Ysera. Not to mention Lich King comes a full turn earlier. 8 mana is way better than 9 mana especially now that we have more over powered hero powers in the game.

Ysera doesn't see play now but she always comes back when the meta slows down just a tad bit. This card in most cases is a better Ysera and with the Taunt tag it is easier to force synergies with it.

It doesn't even matter if the card might not be good enough right now... you are still going to see it a lot thanks to Stonehill Defender.

Blizzard

Banned
If you don't rate Snowflipper Penguin a 5 you might not have a soul. That card is cute as heck.

Honorable runner-ups that deserve good ratings:

Play Dead, cutest puppy
Arfus, also cutest puppy
Gnomeferatu, awesome name and cutest gnome
Happy Ghoul, cutest ghoul

fertygo

8/8 Taunt is not a significant tempo loss, not as much as Ysera. More importantly unlike Ysera, Lich King comes with a taunt which means you can play him even if you might be dead on board unlike Ysera. Not to mention Lich King comes a full turn earlier. 8 mana is way better than 9 mana especially now that we have more over powered hero powers in the game.

Ysera doesn't see play now but she always comes back when the meta slows down just a tad bit. This card in most cases is a better Ysera and with the Taunt/DR tag it is easier to force synergies with it (Taunt Warrior/Druid, Nzoth decks, Quest Priest).

Its don't have DR

This is why I rated him 4/5, but I think most of the spells are useful tho. More interested in that deal 5 damage or heal 5 card.

If we can get more than 2 cards then we're already lucky. Initially was gonna craft him gold, but man that gold animation is underwhelming.
Agreed on all points.

Ysera doesn't see play now but she always comes back when the meta slows down just a tad bit. This card in most cases is a better Ysera and with the Taunt/DR tag it is easier to force synergies with it (Taunt Warrior/Druid, Nzoth decks, Quest Priest).

I put tempo loss in parenthesis next to "risky". I wasn't saying TLK is always a tempo loss, but rather I was referring to the potential tempo loss one always risks when playing one big single card. You play Quest Warrior sometimes, so you know what I mean when I say that playing two small taunts is almost always better than one big taunt because of the removal risks involved.

Dahbomb

That's an unfair criticism of all big cards in the game then. At least in Arthas's case, if he gets removed with a card you are still up one card.

Probably the biggest enemy of Lich King is Black Knight. People thought he would return in Ungoro with all the big taunts and Quest Warrior. Might actually happen this time if there is a control meta and people are also playing Stonehill Defenders.

Blizzard

Banned
That's an unfair criticism of all big cards in the game then. At least in Arthas's case, if he gets removed with a card you are still up one card.

Probably the biggest enemy of Lich King is Black Knight. People thought he would return in Ungoro with all the big taunts and Quest Warrior. Might actually happen this time if there is a control meta and people are also playing Stonehill Defenders.
I hope not because that's yet another legendary I won't have dust for. :p I have enough to craft maybe 1 or 2 legendaries for Frozen Throne.

Ew, why is the Concede button red now? :-(

No it's not. N'Zoth never risks a tempo loss, which is why it's so strong.

in wild easy to double with drakkari enchanter and emperor, enchanter going to be greatsince you can double it up with and it works to benefit emperor too, control decks wanna work that in with ragnaros and lich king, stuff like with shadow ascendent in priest after northshire, double boost on that. v good double hit with emperor if nothing else for a ridiculous discount

greepoman

An 8/8 taunt for 8 isn't anything special, I think. In most matches, he won't live beyond a turn, so you're just getting one extra card. Ysera sees no play, and while she doesn't have Frostmourne, all of her spells are generally playable, while Lich King's spells range from unplayable to mediocre to Frostmourne, depending on your deck and situation. In 7/8 plays you won't get Frostmourne, and if you look at all the other stuff you can get I think the card becomes questionable.

I think it will have its place in a few decks, but people are going nuts for something really inconsistent and risky (tempo loss). Like, the only deck I would run this in over Ragnaros in Wild is Quest Warrior, and a Taunt Druid or Big Body Druid deck if that ever becomes a thing.

This was my conclusion as well after the initial excitement. There's just too many DK cards. Some of which will be unplayable given the situation.

Blizzard

Banned
Apparently a lot of people, such as Kibler, accidentally hit concede when they're trying to find the volume slider. I'm not even joking, it was in the stream.

I'm guessing it turns green if the enemy has lethal on board maybe?

in wild easy to double with drakkari enchanter and emperor, enchanter going to be greatsince you can double it up with and it works to benefit emperor too, control decks wanna work that in with ragnaros and lich king, stuff like with shadow ascendent in priest after northshire, double boost on that. v good double hit with emperor if nothing else for a ridiculous discount

Ugh, Enchanter + Thaurissan never even crossed my mind. I'm getting triggered just thinking about it.

fertygo

Every big minion have risk for hard removal, but at least at 8 mana spot its kinda the sweet spot

its kinda the point where you stabilize as midrange/control deck against aggro if your opponent not have the nuts

8/8 with upside Taunt is big deal, so its a big minion that you can slot into slower deck without felt too greedy as opposite as ysera

Magnus

This is infuriating. Because I played the newest patched version of HS on my PC, I now can't play it on my phone or iPad because those versions haven't had their patches approved by Apple yet? Seriously?

I can see the update details on the App Store, but can't actually update yet. For Fucking real?

Dahbomb

No it's not. N'Zoth never risks a tempo loss, which is why it's so strong.
There are very few cards like Nzoth in the game plus it's 10 mana not 8 (and requires a particular deck and set up up). Before we had Rag in the game at the 8 mana slot which was played a ton but still got sniped by BGH or Shadow Death for tempo loss. Didn't stop it from being played.

Hell people even played Nefarian for a good while and that's a significantly bigger tempo hit than Arthas. I would say though that Sindragosa is in general a better Nefarian though it's class exclusive. It's probably better than Arthas too.

Side note but even after years of HS, Dr Boom is STILL Dr 7.

There are very few cards like Nzoth in the game plus it's 10 mana not 8 (and requires a particular deck and set up up). Before we had Rag in the game at the 8 mana slot which was played a ton but still got sniped by BGH or Shadow Death for tempo loss. Didn't stop it from being played.

Hell people even played Nefarian for a good while and that's a significantly bigger tempo hit than Arthas. I would say though that Sindragosa is in general a better Nefarian though it's class exclusive. It's probably better than Arthas too.

Ragnaros is a high tempo play unless the board is filled with mini-stuff or hits face. TLK isn't.

Nefarian hasn't seen play outside of Dragon Priest in ages.

If Priest is good, a lot of cards in the new set are bad including TLK.

I hope Priest isn't "good", so I can play Priest and get free wins all day.

This is infuriating. Because I played the newest patched version of HS on my PC, I now can't play it on my phone or iPad because those versions haven't had their patches approved by Apple yet? Seriously?

I can see the update details on the App Store, but can't actually update yet. For Fucking real?

That's odd, mine updated fine on my phone.

Magnus

That's odd, mine updated fine on my phone.

iPhone? In Canada by chance?

Edit-

Bizarre. It seems to be update-able only through the actual updates tab in the App Store app, and not by actually visiting the link that HS sends you to on the App Store. That just says 'Open'.

Looks like I'm updating now. Thanks!

Sheroking

The Lich King is no more a tempo loss than The Curator. Ysera has seen play on-and-off when dragon decks are around, and it seems like a better version of that.

Throwing "taunt" on big minions is a big way to negate the tempo loss because the biggest fear is that you take a ton of face damage while not impacting the board state for one turn. Getting hit with a tech'd in Black Knight would suck, but as it's an understated card that eats most of the turn, so it's nowhere near as brutal as pre-nerf BGH was.

The Lich King is this expansions Elise the Trailblazer IMO. A good value card that's going to fit into a lot of decks along the way, while defining none of them. It's my second most anticipated card, behind Bloodreaver Gul'dan.

I dunno where I stand on lich king. It'll take some time I think to determine how good the card is. Ysera saw a lot of play early on but that fell off and I don't think the sparse play it has seen in dragon decks has redeemed it much. I think it's because people got used to the RNG and realized it wasn't reliable enough. So lich king could face the same issues.

fertygo

Ragnaros is a high tempo play unless the board is filled with mini-stuff or hits face. TLK isn't.

Have you play Primordial Drake into board that its battlecry not kill anything? or even not trade with enemy minion?

its still delay a LOT

that why card played in a lot of deck, big taunt with upside is crazy good for Hearthstone

Dahbomb

We are talking about tempo risk here and playing Rag is always a massive tempo risk. Playing Rag against a Pirate Warrior or Zoo (or insert fotm aggro deck here) a substantially bigger risk than playing Lich King and that's where the tempo matters the most.

Sheroking

I dunno where I stand on lich king. It'll take some time I think to determine how good the card is. Ysera saw a lot of play early on but that fell off and I don't think the sparse play it has seen in dragon decks has redeemed it much. I think it's because people got used to the RNG and realized it wasn't reliable enough. So lich king could face the same issues.

Ysera's one problem is you don't do anything the turn you play it. Taunt is a huge deal.

The Curator is what I keep coming back to. Would be unplayable without taunt, but is a perfectly viable card engine because it also slows down face damage.

The Lich King is no more a tempo loss than The Curator. Ysera has seen play on-and-off when dragon decks are around, and it seems like a better version of that.

Throwing "taunt" on big minions is a big way to negate the tempo loss because the biggest fear is that you take a ton of face damage while not impacting the board state for one turn. Getting hit with a tech'd in Black Knight would suck, but as it's an understated card that eats most of the turn, so it's nowhere near as brutal as pre-nerf BGH was.

The Lich King is this expansions Elise the Trailblazer IMO. A good value card that's going to fit into a lot of decks along the way, while defining none of them. It's my second most anticipated card, behind Bloodreaver Gul'dan.
I don't think TLK is a tempo loss.

Looking at the GAF reviews, I feel Arfus is very overrated
Pretty sure people are rating him on cuteness.

Have you play Primordial Drake into board that its battlecry not kill anything? or even not trade with enemy minion?

its still delay a LOT

that why card played in a lot of deck, big taunt with upside is crazy good for Hearthstone
It's played a lot for the battlecry combined with other effects like Fishes.

Miletius

Feel a bit bad but I dusted my golden dreadsteed today. The dust called to me though, and I have 2 regular. That dust is a free legendary in a couple of days.

Dahbomb

Time to make a Handlock deck for the new Standard.

And then realize it sucks because it isn't gonna do shit against all these new DKs LOL!

they should make pirate day today and let everyone use the new pirate ahead of time like volcanosaur, it'd be fun seeing people playing with it ahead of time for a preview like that. yes volcanosaur was adapt but if you want to try out the new cards, then arfus, but they wouldn't do one that good.

There are kind of a lot of dead death knight card draws from lich king/arfus.

Everyone will be running weapon removal for the one really great option (outside of very specific scenarios). A slow 8 mana card followed by one hit of a a slow 7 mana weapon? Seems unlikely.

I think it'll only work in control paladin because it has multiple strong weapons and multiple strong silence targets. There is also potential synergy with the heal.

Outside of that it'll probably just be a "I want to play ramp druid or control priest and I crafted this card so wtf do I care I'll chuck it in" card.

fertygo

Control Pally is one deck that may left Arthas for different else lol

their endgame is so stacked, you may only have 6-7 spot to chose for BlackGuard, Spikeridged Steed, Tirion, Arthas, Lightlord, the DK, Arthas or N'zoth

I'll wait for optimal choice before crafting expensive stuff for this deck

zoukka

Bizarre. It seems to be update-able only through the actual updates tab in the App Store app, and not by actually visiting the link that HS sends you to on the App Store. That just says 'Open'.

Looks like I'm updating now. Thanks!

It's been like that for iphone for a long time.

Actually the Concede button always seems to be red even if the opponent has lethal.

It turning green was a joke.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Rogue has trouble dealing with wide boards.

How can rogue do nothing for a turn letting your opponent develop two turns worth of minions?

Play vanish? Kill them the following turn or die? I love the death knight card and effect but it seems really hard to catch back up.

Top Bottom