• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

Tagyhag

Bonemare is #25?
laugh.gif

Reddit is gonna get knocked on their ass when that card is played everywhere in arena.

That's more accurate. :p

Because it's a great card and help you against aggro.

It is powerful because it is an aggro card and aggro wins.

For 2 mana you now get:

A 2/1
A 2/1 with divine shield and taunt.

A few turns later you then draw six more cards with divine favor while laughing at their 9 drops.

Pooya

This is gonna lit a fire under Blizzard's ass. First serious usurper approaches.

They probably knew about it hence all of this good will changes this year after four years.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm happy as it's more competition, but this time from a serious competitor.

That being said if it's locked to Steam only then the game is DOA in terms of being a Hearthstone killer. Valve has to have a mobile component if they truly want to compete.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

That being said if it's locked to Steam only then the game is DOA in terms of being a Hearthstone killer. Valve has to have a mobile component if they truly want to compete.

Yup.

Sheroking

The people who care about Dota are just going to keep playing Dota 2.

I imagine it will be an even smaller impact than Gwent or ES:L.

luoapp

Please, Gabe is not stupid, he knows where the money is.

I welcome the competition, and I have no doubt Valve can build a good card game with the same level polish as Hearthstone does. At the end of the day, weirdly enough,maybe the only thing can swing me is the team's responsiveness to players' feedback. In that front, Team 5 has been doing very well the last couple of months.

It seems like it won't be a hearthstone clone

Sadly, Artifact's reveal was not followed with anything in the way of screenshots or gameplay. Instead, Plott described having played test versions of the game already, and his brief description hinted at a one-on-one digital card-battling game, like Hearthstone, only with a Dota-themed three-lane system and other Dota-like tweaks.

"I played a game where I was getting my ass kicked in two lanes," Plott told the bemused crowd. "I kept building barracks in the third [lane], and I kept flooding the lane with creeps." What Plott didn't tell the crowd was that this is the game developer Brad Muir has been leading at Valve since he left Double Fine (where he previously led development on the tactical RPG Massive Chalice and the co-op tower-defense game Trenched).

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/08/valve-announces-artifact-a-dota-themed-digital-card-game/

also ouch, 2018... I guess that is not that far away... but could be a whole year or longer still

Pooya

The basic description of the game by day9 certainly lends itself well to cosmetic hell. If cards are free, that's a big deal. I don't care about dota but I'd play a Valve card game.

sibarraz

Banned
I think that the game will allow you to sell cards, while at the same time, there will be some super rare and premium alternate versions of said cards that will be very expensive

scarlet

I only play games on mobile and I love card games. If there's a new mobile game with a simple UI, I'm in (sorry shadowverse).

Pooya

I think you play that guy with divine shield and spelldamage in control warlock. It makes defile way better, works with your mortal coils and soulfires.

You play 2x doomguard, 2x void walker and the new 5 drops demon and maybe malch imp as your demons. You don't want to run many discard cards, soulfire and doomguard is all you play, these are just good.

You play warlock legendary card not because it's good but it's the best minion with lifesteal you can play. Maybe add one of those 5 drop 4/4s for redundancy too.

Now corpsetaker can gain lifesteal, taunt and divine shield. Rest of the cards the usual good cards in handlock, I don't think hellfire is necessary and you don't want to play anything that damages your face. Mountain Giants depending on the meta.

You play Jarraxus and Guldan. Guldan basically hopefully summons 2x doomguard and taunt, for burst and stabilizing. Depending on the match up you play one that fits and you can always override Jarraxus with Guldan to get your hp up or add burst. That's all the top end you need.

I think it could be tier 3 something like that. That's what I've been thinking so far. Maybe Reynad is right. Handlock did work when Un'goro came out but after mage become popular basically it was impossible to play it. Maybe if burn decks fall off. Pirate warrior is more winnable than mage.

One thing I've learned in the lead up to the next expansion, I'd probably pay money to watch Kibler and Brode in a buddy cop movie. Yesterday's stream was highly entertaining.

You play 2x doomguard, 2x void walker and the new 5 drops demon and maybe malch imp as your demons. You don't want to run many discard cards, soulfire and doomguard is all you play, these are just good.

Doomguard 5 mana 5/7 charge. If you have Guldan and jaraxxus in your hand discard both of them.

Blizzard

Banned
One thing I've learned in the lead up to the next expansion, I'd probably pay money to watch Kibler and Brode in a buddy cop movie. Yesterday's stream was highly entertaining.
I forgot to comment on that but I agree, the livestream gameplay method of revealing cards was really enjoyable.

I think The Lich King isn't that strong of a card unless you get Frostmourne. I think it might see play in Quest Warrior, but not much else.

Blizzard

Banned
I think The Lich King isn't that strong of a card unless you get Frostmourne. I think it might see play in Quest Warrior, but not much else.
In the long term maybe. I may have overrated it.

In the shorter term, e.g. the next 2-3 weeks ESPECIALLY in standard, it's going to be played constantly, plus occasionally drawn from Stonehill Defender which may also be played constantly.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Here are the scores from me and Raxus.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cjH-wwnpXzU85nNleFx5CqSbEPZ0q_irIDfPgnkgCSM/edit?usp=sharing

I was actually really harsh on this set. Usually I aim to have the 3 star category as the biggest category but in the end I gave way more cards 2 stars than I expected. And I had a lot fewer 4 star cards than I usually aim to have. The fact that there's so many cards in Standard right now might be a contributing factor.

You know I bet this set will have a big renaissance once Standard rotates again and this set is the older one like the Old Gods or karazhan is now. I don't think you were overly harsh tho.

Pooya

Lich King is going to be super good in druid because you play it early. Since Boom and Rag going away, ramp got weaker. Even though we got more ramp cards, you didn't have powerful cards like those to play anymore. Now there is their hero for 7 mana and Lich King for 8. These are very scary. Ysera/DW etc are too expensive and come later no matter what and aren't even as good.

I think the fact its 8/8 taunt with upside is bigger deal than the generated card, and its really big deal.

An 8/8 taunt for 8 isn't anything special, I think. In most matches, he won't live beyond a turn, so you're just getting one extra card. Ysera sees no play, and while she doesn't have Frostmourne, all of her spells are generally playable, while Lich King's spells range from unplayable to mediocre to Frostmourne, depending on your deck and situation. In 7/8 plays you won't get Frostmourne, and if you look at all the other stuff you can get I think the card becomes questionable.

I think it will have its place in a few decks, but people are going nuts for something really inconsistent and risky (tempo loss). Like, the only deck I would run this in over Ragnaros in Wild is Quest Warrior, and a Taunt Druid or Big Body Druid deck if that ever becomes a thing.

Top Bottom