• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Oh, they changed dreadsteed already.

Got a golden one from a month reward before so RIP to that. Sitting at 14.6K dust now.

zoukka

I feel a lot of the dream cards are more flexible. There are a few death knight cards that have significant downsides and high mana costs.

Ysera shines in control mirrors because then even the weakest cards (the minions) offer value. DK cards are faster and can help against aggro. I'd say they are more relevant in the current meta.

Miletius

holy crap, didn't he start hours ago?

Yeah. These things usually take forever though. I mean, if you have to say something about every new card in the set even if you take 2 minutes per card that's 4.5 hours approximately. And knowning Trump, he has way more to say than just 2 minutes and he stops and repeats his takes frequently for editing purposes on his youtube channel.

Better off just waiting for the highlights, ain't nobody got time to watch that shit.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
holy crap, didn't he start hours ago?
He just finished up. I think he's going to have a quick summary video where he just says the score for each card, and then the video that contains a lightly edited version of his full card review.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
TLDW of Trump's card review:

-Paladin is going to be crazy, lots of cards that synergize with the class. Divine shield deck could work. DK 5 stars

-Every Rogue card sucks except DK, which he thinks is amazing. Lillian Voss also has potential

-Control Priest is looking good, DK 4 stars. 6 mana mind control very good. 9 mana 4/8 overated.

-Shaman DK bad, freeze Shaman bad, overload giant unlikely to be great.

-Warlock still bad, defile gets 1 star because class will never see play. Despicable Dreadlord only card he didn't rate a 1 (he gave it a 2)

-Warrior DK very good. Thinks Rotface has potential value, gave it 2 stars. Blood razor and draw 2 weapons both got 5 stars, other cards got 1s. Doesn't think tempo warrior will be good, but control warrior will be.

Didn't catch all of the Mage, Druid, or Hunter review, but:

-Quest mage will be a lot better, DK 2 stars, secret is decent, everything else is bad.

-Hunter sucks

-Druid DK and Ultimate Infestation crazy good

Nuetrals:

-Corpsetaker mostly just playable in Paladin, you'd put in Chillblade Champion just in case you draw burnbristle. 5 stars even if it doesn't see play in other classes.

-Princes mostly bad, but 2 Mana one he thinks has potential (gave that one 2 stars)

-Lich King 5 stars

-Bonemare 4 stars

-Happy Ghoul 1 star, too inconsistent

-Archerus Veteran (1 Mana 2/1 give minion +1 attack) 5 stars

-weapon discarding 6/6 1 star

-meat Wagon 1 star

-skulking giest 2 stars

-saronite chain gang 3 stars

-most other nuetrals are 1 star

Yeah. These things usually take forever though. I mean, if you have to say something about every new card in the set even if you take 2 minutes per card that's 4.5 hours approximately. And knowning Trump, he has way more to say than just 2 minutes and he stops and repeats his takes frequently for editing purposes on his youtube channel.

Better off just waiting for the highlights, ain't nobody got time to watch that shit.

He just finished up. I think he's going to have a quick summary video where he just says the score for each card, and then the video that contains a lightly edited version of his full card review.

Thanks for the info. I feel I need to watch this video because I'm invested into the expansion >_>

Fewr

The Lich King is this expansions Elise the Trailblazer IMO. A good value card that's going to fit into a lot of decks along the way, while defining none of them. It's my second most anticipated card, behind Bloodreaver Gul'dan.
My man 👍👍👌

Those two and the new demon that doesn't try to kill Gul'dan immediately.

FeD.nL

I think Doomerang might be my favorite card design wise this set.

It's like giving the Rogue a 1-mana healing spell, without giving them a healing spell. While simultaneously being a combo starter and makes your hero power weapon a combo starter for the following turn. Just super flexible and does a lot of things that Rogue can use.

zoukka

Time to bust out Harrison from his retirement

FeD.nL

I must say all the beasts they added really make for solid choices for DK Rexxar hero power. Perhaps DK Rexxar will be good enough, because with these choices it basically becomes built a legendary.

Especially Bearshark is solid at only 3, combines with anything to make a really solid card, with just gastropod you're looking at a 5 mana 5/5 Taunt, Poisonous, Can't be targetted by spells.

Edit: And the penguin is basically a free +1/+1 to an already good beast. And Arfus of course.

This expansion just makes me excited for the next one. I really want to check out Warlock and Hunter because I feel like I could enjoy playing / messing around with. They just might not have enough cards or support.

Reminds me of Dragon Priest during Blackrock Mountain, before The Grand Tournament was released. It wasn't too good until it got more support later down the line. Of course, that past couple of expansions have been really 'self centered,' so there's really no tell if that'll be the case or not.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
-Warlock still bad, defile gets 1 star because class will never see play. Despicable Dreadlord only card he didn't rate a 1 (he gave it a 2)

At this point i want Warlock to be Tier 1 just to keep the "X sucks cuz Y wont see play" meme rolling.

Reynoodle also said that the Paladin is gonna be bonkers. Specially his DK.

zoukka

You wouldn't need many demons from the Warlock DK battlecry to make it worth it. The hero power is just so good.

But the trick is to live to turn 10...

Finalow

An 8/8 taunt for 8 isn't anything special, I think. In most matches, he won't live beyond a turn, so you're just getting one extra card. Ysera sees no play, and while she doesn't have Frostmourne, all of her spells are generally playable, while Lich King's spells range from unplayable to mediocre to Frostmourne, depending on your deck and situation. In 7/8 plays you won't get Frostmourne, and if you look at all the other stuff you can get I think the card becomes questionable.

I think it will have its place in a few decks, but people are going nuts for something really inconsistent and risky (tempo loss). Like, the only deck I would run this in over Ragnaros in Wild is Quest Warrior, and a Taunt Druid or Big Body Druid deck if that ever becomes a thing.
Lich King is better than Ysera. I'm not saying it will be the next Dr. Boom for sure, but the card is really strong.

"from unplayable to mediocre except Frostmourne", uuhh no. every single card except Doom Pact and Death Grip (that's mostly rng) is extremely good, better than Frostmourne even depending on the situation. 2 mana Fireball which can also heal, 2 mana destroy a minion, 3 enemies-only mana AoE, or Army of the Dead which can potentially put into play 5 minions from your deck.

even Doom Pact in some desperate situation can win you the game.

Bunga

I just threw an arena run down the crapper by not attacking with Vinecleaver before using Lightfused Stegadon. FML.

Nachos

Why is armor better then health? Other then being able to go above 30. I don't get it

Synergizes with cards like Shield Slam and can't be removed by cards like Alexstrasza. Plus, you can have 29 health and 2 armor, and Battle Rage will at least trigger for your hero, even though your health is overall higher than what it was when the game started.

wiibomb

Why is armor better then health? Other then being able to go above 30. I don't get it

because you can hit with shield slam with armor, not health.

and also, because as warrior, low health and high armor is more important than high health and low armor, mostly because some cards require a low health trigger, for example revenge and mortal strike.

it isn't something too important, but it is a general good-practice-rule of hearthstone

gutshot

Time to take a look at some highlights from our ratings spreadsheet. First up, the top 10 highest rated cards of the set.

Top 10 Cards
  1. The Lich King
  2. Uther of the Ebon Blade
  3. Defile
  4. Righteous Protector
  5. Shadowreaper Anduin
  6. Ultimate Infestation
  7. Obsidian Statue
  8. Bonemare
  9. Bloodreaver Gul'dan
  10. Blood Razor

This top 10 looks pretty similar to most other community and streamers lists. The biggest surprise here is Bonemare. It seems GAF is higher on this card than most. It will be interesting to see if it ends up seeing competitive play. Also of note, The Lich King is tied with Dragonfire Potion as GAF's highest rated card ever (although that only includes the last 3 expansions, which is when I've been doing the ratings spreadsheet).

Bottom 10 Cards
  1. Keening Banshee
  2. Prince Taldaram
  3. Howlfiend
  4. Prince Valanar
  5. Ticking Abomination
  6. Spellweaver
  7. Prince Keleseth
  8. Toxic Arrow
  9. Venomancer
  10. Light's Sorrow

No surprise that all three Princes grace the bottom 10 list. But landing on this list does not guarantee they will all be trash tier. Both bottom 10 lists from the last two expansions had one card that ended up seeing competitive play (Sherazin and Gadgetzan Ferryman, respectively). If I had to guess which card from this list might see play, it would probably be one of the Princes.

Top 10 Most Controversial Cards
  1. Spectral Pillager
  2. Gnomeferatu
  3. Dead Man's Hand
  4. Skelemancer
  5. Skulking Geist
  6. Glacial Mysteries
  7. Dark Convinction
  8. Archbishop Benedictus
  9. Hadronox
  10. Blood-Queen Lana'thel

So the official most "controversial" card is actually Snowflipper Penguin. But this is due to people incorrectly rating it on its power level as opposed to cuteness scale. (It's cuteness clearly trumps the fact that it is a 0 mana 1/1 and makes it a 5 star card.) So we're going to skip right over that one. The rest of the list is interesting and includes some hotly debated cards. You will see at least a couple of these become a part of the meta, the way Bittertide Hydra and The Caverns Below did from Un'goro.

Is the expansion still pre-orderable? Wasn't going to bother considering the £10 increase but after seeing the cards I guess I'd be gimping myself for the foreseeable future if I don't get it.

Nachos

Is the expansion still pre-orderable? Wasn't going to bother considering the £10 increase but after seeing the cards I guess I'd be gimping myself for the foreseeable future if I don't get it.

Should be available until the moment the packs unlock, which happens tomorrow. Pre-order's still up on the US store, at least.

Q8D3vil

Palladin will be broken and it will be hard to mulligan against since you wont know which version are they playing.
I wish they introduce a minion that counter buffs (devolve minion?) I know blizzard hate silence effects but spikestead and tarim existing together is stupid and give an insane tempo and stall swings turn 6 and beyond
I might try control shaman, too bad they didnt introduce a Worthy aoe this set.

I was looking through all my cards, and noticed I have still never opened a The Black Knight .I feel I finally need to bite the bullet and craft that soon, as everyone will be playing The Lich King for the next few weeks at least.

Ketch

because you can hit with shield slam with armor, not health.

and also, because as warrior, low health and high armor is more important than high health and low armor, mostly because some cards require a low health trigger, for example revenge and mortal strike.

it isn't something too important, but it is a general good-practice-rule of hearthstone

So it's mostly just for warrior then?

fertygo

I just realize I read Frostmourne's text wrong, and I think some of you too

its effect in deathrattle, so only triggered when its break.. so its actually not that good

wiibomb

its effect in deathrattle, so only triggered when its break.. so its actually not that good

oh.... oh... yeah that's not what I got the first time. Still acts as a mini N'zoth, but not as good as I expected.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

It's still pretty ridiculous in control matchups and even midrange matchups.

Palladin will be broken and it will be hard to mulligan against since you wont know which version are they playing.
I wish they introduce a minion that counter buffs (devolve minion?) I know blizzard hate silence effects but spikestead and tarim existing together is stupid and give an insane tempo and stall swings turn 6 and beyond
I might try control shaman, too bad they didnt introduce a Worthy aoe this set.
How much more aoe do you need?!

Pooya

your opponent doesn't want to ooze frostmourne, it's not that bad. It's only good for heavy control decks though. You will be tanking 3 minions with that, you have to live for 3 turns.

I think heal paladin can be obnoxious with all of these tools.

gutshot

I mean, it says to "summon every minion killed by this weapon". How would that even work as a Battlecry?

Top Bottom