• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I think the meta is starting to settle, until a new super good deck or tech is discovered. Mostly it's just figuring out where the percentages end up now. My personal deck tier list at the moment:

Tier 1
Pirate Warrior
Taunt Warrior

Tier 2
Elemental Shaman
Quest Rogue
Midrange Hunter
Discolock
Token Druid

Tier 3
Elemental Paladin
Murloc Shaman
Miracle Rogue
Exodia Mage
Tempo Priest
Handlock

Morlas

I kinda feel like all of the viable decklists are closer than they were in the past, like i don't think there's any one deck that completely outpowers all the others on average.

patchday

yeah either these quest rogues I'm fighting dont know what they're doing (highly likely at 15 maybe) or they just getting bad hands. I've been beating up a lot of them and I'm using Elemental Shaman primarily (which is not even a fast deck too me). Theres so many variations of elemental shaman it will take me a few days to go through them all. one of them is bound to stick and be consistent for me

edit: Another quest rogue down -- https://hsreplay.net/replay/TFusRVyECMonfSNUreWnXf

yeah either these quest rogues I'm fighting dont know what they're doing (highly likely at 15 maybe) or they just getting bad hands. I've been beating up a lot of them and I'm using Elemental Shaman primarily (which is not even a fast deck too me). Theres so many variations of elemental shaman it will take me a few days to go through them all. one of them is bound to stick and be consistent for me
I've been really surprised at how bad people are at playing it. Sure, it's not quite as brain dead as Pirate Warrior, but it's not difficult, either.

Finalow

yeah either these quest rogues I'm fighting dont know what they're doing (highly likely at 15 maybe) or they just getting bad hands. I've been beating up a lot of them and I'm using Elemental Shaman primarily (which is not even a fast deck too me). Theres so many variations of elemental shaman it will take me a few days to go through them all. one of them is bound to stick and be consistent for me.
or more simply, the deck isn't as good as most people think. Quest Rogue won't look "broken" anymore once the meta settles, hell, I don't even think it will be the best Rogue deck, let alone a tier 1 deck. miracle with plants has the potential to be a more consistent and better Rogue deck from what I've seen.

midrange Hunter and elementals (jade?) Shaman are 2 decks which I think have a good chance to be on top of the meta, once people find a good consistent refined list.

Discard is very irritating. You have no control over any of it, it's all RNG. Shadowverse has a very similar discard mechanic but the cards that discard, discard your lowest cost or highest cost cards so you know what cards you're not discarding. It's way way better. As it works in HS, one side is always going to feel bad about the outcomes.
it can be, indeed. RNGstone yay

sibarraz

Banned
I think the meta is starting to settle, until a new super good deck or tech is discovered. Mostly it's just figuring out where the percentages end up now. My personal deck tier list at the moment:

Tier 1
Pirate Warrior
Taunt Warrior

Tier 2
Elemental Shaman
Quest Rogue
Midrange Hunter
Discolock
Token Druid

Tier 3
Elemental Paladin
Murloc Shaman
Miracle Rogue
Exodia Mage
Tempo Priest
Handlock

Feel like elemental paladin should be tier 2. has good matchups against discolock and pirate warrior. And the other tier 1-2 matchups are not terrible except maybe token druid imo

Dahbomb

Both Miracle and Quest Rogue have the same problem of losing to aggression yet have same strength of beating slower decks. One of those will probably be the dominant and preferred Rogue deck. I think pros will prefer the more consistent Miracoli.

And how the hell have Hunters not put 2 and 2 together and added in Hydra into their decks? I see Druids use it and I have even seen Pirates use it. Hydra was made for a Hybrid Hunter deck! I guess they are just waiting for the Zoo to die down.

Both Miracle and Quest Rogue have the same problem of losing to aggression yet have same strength of beating slower decks. One of those will probably be the dominant and preferred Rogue deck. I think pros will prefer the more consistent Miracoli.

This presumes they have the same match ups. They don't. Or I should say, they likely won't once the meta settles.

Dahbomb

This presumes they have the same match ups. They don't. Or I should say, they likely won't once the meta settles.
I don't know much about Rogue admittedly but I was just observing some match up charts and both of them had very similar match ups. Though Miracle Rogue does a lot better in the Midrange Hunter match up and I think that's what will make Miracoli the best deck to play for Rogue.

FeD.nL

I kinda feel like all of the viable decklists are closer than they were in the past, like i don't think there's any one deck that completely outpowers all the others on average.

For the moment I agree, who knows where the meta will end up though. But I'm really enjoying it atm, probably my favorite launch week meta in the game so far. Good diversity, interesting matchups. Makes me excited for the future, and I absolutely hated MSoG.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

And how the hell have Hunters not put 2 and 2 together and added in Hydra into their decks? I see Druids use it and I have even seen Pirates use it. Hydra was made for a Hybrid Hunter deck! I guess they are just waiting for the Zoo to die down.

It's even a freaking beast! They were absolutely insane to give it a beast tag and so many hunters still don't use it?

It's not even that bad against aggro.

And maybe Miracle Rogue is better. I know aggro decks at least aren't happy when they find out it's not a quest deck so the first 4 turns wont be as free as they were. Taunt Warrior hates Quest more though, so that's I felt the meta would go with Quest.

wiibomb

apparently the interactions of shadow visions are broken as hell, I have already seen 3 bugs involved on that card.

Interestingly enough it is starting to become a staple card being run in all priest decks, in fact is has saved me twice by discovering both times a shadow word spell

Nordicus

Interestingly enough it is starting to become a staple card being run in all priest decks, in fact is has saved me twice by discovering both times a shadow word spell
There's nothing particularly unusual about that.

In other older card games (say MtG), cards that look for other cards have been well known to be incredibly useful. While Shadow Visions doesn't let you search through all of them, it has the benefit of creating an extra copy of the card rather than pulling it out.

Grief.exe

Looking at the taunt warrior list. Too bad I dusted curator since I was poor 😭😭😭😭😭

The best is vicious syndicate but they are slower and more patient with new metas.

Most here right now are using metastats.

That's the one thanks.

The best is vicious syndicate but they are slower and more patient with new metas.

Most here right now are using metastats.
Isn't hsreplay better? They have more games in their database so more data to work from.

(Granted, the results look very similar so it may not even matter.)

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Looking at the taunt warrior list. Too bad I dusted curator since I was poor 😭😭😭😭😭

I had to craft the warrior quest, but have been playing that deck. It's really fun to watch pirates and rogues struggle to get through the wall of taunts. You don't always get to complete the quest, but aggressive decks often concede as soon as you put the 7th taunt down.

I will say I was surprised at how great that new Dragon works in the deck. I didn't expect it to be so great.

wiibomb

Should Grommash go in taunt warrior? I feel like you dont do any damage until you turn into baby Rag and then you pray to hit face.

I don't think that card fits the deck, the idea of the taunt warrior is that nothing will hit your face, so you will be safe until you get the hero power, then with so many taunts and with an 8 damage tap for 2 mana you will eventually beat the opponent.

there are some crowd control cards, the main one being primordial drake, the other one is ravaging ghoul.

Should Hearthstone use the same system as Gwent where you can pick between 3 cards for your 5th card(everything above common) so the chance of getting dupes gets significantly smaller. For me there is nothing as depressing as opening a dupe legendary i already crafted.

Zakalwe

Banned
I'm tempted to try Taunt Warrior, I think I only need the quest card.

What's the best deck list for it? I could probably theory it myself but I'm being lazy.

What a time to be alive.

Purifying the ladder to Legend with silence Priest

Xfv5cUK.png

Zakalwe

Banned
The main reason I'm thinking of building it is that I have almost every Warrior card so it should be quite cheap.

I'd love to try that Priest deck as it looks a lot more fun, but I don't have the dust for it after building both Elemental Shaman and Paladin.

wiibomb

Should Hearthstone use the same system as Gwent where you can pick between 3 cards for your 5th card(everything above common) so the chance of getting dupes gets significantly smaller. For me there is nothing as depressing as opening a dupe legendary i already crafted.

I have opened 4 dupes on WotOG counting one I opened on saturday and I just have 7 legendaries from that expansion, on that same saturday I opened 2 ozruk in my first 3 legendaries opened from JU, I just have the worst luck with dupes, it would help me a lot if they implement something along the lines of gwent

Wow. This makes two days in a row that I've missed lethal by playing Kill Command on a minion rather than face. It's literally the exact same play that cost me a spot in the Top 8 yesterday at the tournament I was at. And against the same deck! I told myself after I did it that I would never let that happen again.

I swear, I'm so fucking bad at this game.

Zakalwe

Banned
Now I'm used to playing against Quest Rogue, it's nowhere near as bad as it felt now I know what to expect. Bear in mind I wasn't one of those calling it OP, it was always a matter of learning how to beat it.

Using Elemental Shaman, I "waste" my battlcry damage on low health tokens when I know they're about to play Caverns so they unless they have Deckhands left they can't hit me on that turn. I almost always have at least one taunt left, and the bodies on the board that cast the battlecries, so I can get a few big hits in.

From there I almost always win as even if they sap my big bodies they have the battle cry damage again next turn.

It's still a good deck though, so of course their are times it manages to pull of some powerful plays, but my winrates about balanced now whearas before it was much lower.

Maybe it's just the wall of taunts, it looks so unappealing.

I think the fun is in knowing what's coming after the taunts. It's what I find interesting at least. Previous incarnations of Taunt Warrior didn't have the Quest payoff.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Feels like Noggenfogger got a huge nerf without Living Roots to help make removing it extra annoying, or Rag to let you not deal with the randomness as much on your end.

I guess it could at least kill a quest mage through the iceblock with lucky enough RNG. Also fun to use with Giant Anaconda.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm still missing so many cards. I thought I had enough classics, but even there I think I'm missing stuff and have no dust to make up for it. I've bought the welcome pack, bought the dino pack, and opened 80+ dino crates. I'm almost tempted to spend $20 for the adventure, but that's exactly what Blizzard wants me to do and I don't know when those cards are rotating or how important they are in modern decks. :(

The most recent dino pack I opened had 5 dupes.

I've never gotten a Patches or Curator which are apparently key to some decks.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a relatively inexpensive deck to get past rank 18? I'd prefer Warrior, Paladin, Rogue, or Shaman. I have the Warrior quest and Grommash. I also have the Rogue quest and 2 preparations.

Here is my rogue deck which is very unreliable and gets stuck at 18-19:
quest_rogue_1insa5.png

I'd love if I could hit rank 15 with something and start experimenting.

patchday

this expac though has so much power in the Epics. Sure getting a dupe sucks but at least you can use the dust to make an epic. Look at the fire plume control warrior decks. It's a rich man's deck on the real filled with epics. only legend it needs is the quest. Sleep with the fishes, primordial drake, and Brawl are the real super stars

too bad I have only 1 Brawl and 1 Sleep with the fishes and 1 primordial drake. I need 1200 dust to complete that deck and then I will be a complete CW sellout

Blizzard

Banned
I've decided that Tortollan Forager has the most annoying voice lines in the expansion. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing yet.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I'm still missing so many cards. I thought I had enough classics, but even there I think I'm missing stuff and have no dust to make up for it. I've bought the welcome pack, bought the dino pack, and opened 80+ dino crates. I'm almost tempted to spend $20 for the adventure, but that's exactly what Blizzard wants me to do and I don't know when those cards are rotating or how important they are in modern decks. :(

The most recent dino pack I opened had 5 dupes.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a relatively inexpensive deck to get past rank 18? I'd prefer Warrior, Paladin, Rogue, or Shaman. I have the Warrior quest and Grommash. I also have the Rogue quest and 2 preparations.

Here is my rogue deck which is very unreliable and gets stuck at 18-19:
quest_rogue_1insa5.png

I'd love if I could hit rank 15 with something and start experimenting.

Drop dirty rat, ancient brewmaster and assassinate.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member

Curator is from the Kharazan Adventure which also contains a lot of cards for a relatively low amount of gold. Besides also being a really unique thing that you can't get any other way, some of those cards are great. Curator is one, but it has several more which will probably be relevant some day.

Also IMO the adventures were some of the best content in Hearthstone and were actually a great value for their cost. It's sad that we aren't getting them anymore.

Blizzard

Banned
Drop dirty rat, ancient brewmaster and assassinate.
Suggestions for replacements? Dirty Rat seems like a really good card these days, and I sometimes use it to pull key cards.

Assassinate could be replaced by Eviscerate maybe? It's the only way I have to deal with huge minions right now besides Sap.

Ancient Brewmaster is because I didn't have a more dust-expensive way to dupe/bounce minions.

Blizzard

Banned
I suddenly can't login to the Blizzard app. Anyone else? A game froze on the fireworks screen after I won, and this happens even after I restarted the Blizzard client.

Curator is from the Kharazan Adventure which also contains a lot of cards for a relatively low amount of gold. Besides also being a really unique thing that you can't get any other way, some of those cards are great. Curator is one, but it has several more which will probably be relevant some day.

Also IMO the adventures were some of the best content in Hearthstone and were actually a great value for their cost. It's sad that we aren't getting them anymore.
I guess I could drop $20 since it's rotating at the same time as Gadgetzan and I have a bunch of Gadgetzan cards anyway.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Suggestions for replacements? Dirty Rat seems like a really good card these days, and I sometimes use it to pull key cards.

Assassinate could be replaced by Eviscerate maybe? It's the only way I have to deal with huge minions right now besides Sap.

Ancient Brewmaster is because I didn't have a more dust-expensive way to dupe/bounce minions.

People are liking glacial shard for the matchup against aggro.

You don't need more than 6 bounce cards.

A copy of evis can help make up for lacking patches. Swashburglar is a pretty big loss though.

Zakalwe

Banned
I suddenly can't login to the Blizzard app. Anyone else? A game froze on the fireworks screen after I won, and this happens even after I restarted the Blizzard client.

I guess I could drop $20 since it's rotating at the same time as Gadgetzan and I have a bunch of Gadgetzan cards anyway.

I can't get the game client to load. It just kicked me out of an Arena game. ;_;

Top Bottom