• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

Pooya

it's no trogg, it's not even minibot. It's solid though. I think 1/3 murloc is still better on turn 1, it doesn't get rekt by patches, then it get buffed turn 2 and can snowball.

The potential in protector is that you play it like turn 2/3 somewhere like that to protect your snowball minions. You can play it along side blade to make it a minibot with taunt. Now that's good Turn 3, protector coin blade, you will see a lot of that. It's a significant buff to rallying blade, now along with argent squire, there are enough low cost minions to play with blade in one turn. Small-time recruits got better too. If you're playing protector, the murlocs and argent squire, I think you can play that now, it only draws good cards.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Card rating spreadsheet is ready! Quote to reveal link.

Finally got mine in. I ended up with three 5 stars, but a lot of 4 stars.

Meta prediction is freeze and whirlwind decks fail, Quest Shaman returns very strong, Control Hunter is tier 3 successful, Rogue finds some dumb way to abuse the death knight, Midrange paladin good as expected, Jade and pirates still oppress and finally get nerfed.

f0lken

Wait, Shaman power just evolve a minion by 1, I thought it was the same as the battlecry that is for 2, I was underwhelmed already :/

bunbun777

About gorehowls I noticed that on my packs too. just unpacked another gorehowl in the pack from the new brawl yesterday and dusted it right after. But never i my time playing Hearthstone i have opened a shield slam or a brawl. Maybe it is a sign?

You guys are tripping me out. I got a gorehowl in my brawl pack...

fertygo

For those interested:

Gaara's potential deck archetypes analysis and where they'll possibly fall on the tier list.

Aggro decks will be the meta according to Gaara
His conclusion is weird as hell

He see Secret Mage, Token Shaman and Druid get stronger.

I can see Token Shaman and Druid getting stronger

But how Secret Mage get stronger? Why and how?

And if aggro getting stronger its not made sense why secret mage get higher in meta

Because secret mage absolutely struggle vs other aggro

Secret mage is the best aggro deck vs control deck but if its came to aggro vs aggro there is no reason to be at secret mage side

I guess this is going to become a viable tech options tonight...

Blood_Knight%2875%29.png

FeD.nL

His conclusion is weird as hell

He see Secret Mage, Token Shaman and Druid get stronger.

I can see Token Shaman and Druid getting stronger

But how Secret Mage get stronger? Why and how?

And if aggro getting stronger its not made sense why secret mage get higher in meta

Because secret mage absolutely struggle vs other aggro

Secret mage is the best aggro deck vs control deck but if its came to aggro vs aggro there is no reason to be at secret mage side

Yeah I was confused by his assessment of secret mage as well. Still I think some of the other observations are probably on-point.

On another note the deck I'll probably try out the first. Just to see if Hunter still really sucks and because I'm just get more and more intrigued by the Hunter DK as we're getting closer to release:

The secrets are provisional but I'll run 4 regardless, just selected these 4 for now. I like DK Rexxar because it effectively allows the hunter to draw 2 cards a turn from 6 since your curve stops at 6.

A lot of the combinations you can get are on Highmane power level. I'm just interested to see if it's good enough, probably not though.

zoukka

A lot of the combinations you can get are on Highmane power level. I'm just interested to see if it's good enough, probably not though.

The issue with Hunter DK is that it's a control card and the rest of the deck is midrange/aggro.

Hunter just needs a card like Mad Scientist because their draw options are so bad. The new 3 mana discover dude is amazing at least.

FeD.nL

The issue with Hunter DK is that it's a control card and the rest of the deck is midrange/aggro.

Well that was my first thought as well. But the more I thought about it the more I think it can provide the gas a midrange hunter need for that last stretch. Like right now you simply run out of meaningful threats to play in certain matches, and since your curve stops at 6 you basically get an extra draw every turn with the DK that can get you that meaningful threat. Like something as a bearshark + gastropod is a 5 mana 5/5 with taunt/spellshield/poisonous and that's not even the most powerful result since you get absolutely stupidly statted minions that have stealth.

I'm excited to try it out, though I really don't have the illusion it's gonna be super strong.

What deck would you actually play the hunter DK in outside of arena?

A chance of a good card that you still have to play isn't that good. You just run actual good cards instead and build your deck around them.

Midrange hunter against decks with high amounts of sustain so your hero power is useless after one point.

It's more of an anti-control card than a control card. You never stop running out of threats. Some are really fast + strong, like charge or damage with a pile of stats.

CoolOff

How does mana cost work with the Zombeast? Is it just adding it together there as well? Or does it take the one of the two with the highest cost?

Does it stop you from doing that? Say I pick a 9 mana beast first, will it only give me 1 mana ones for the second pick?
Only 5 cost or less beasts are options.
Midrange hunter against decks with high amounts of sustain so your hero power is useless after one point.

It's more of an anti-control card than a control card. You never stop running out of threats. Some are really fast + strong, like charge or damage with a pile of stats.
But you're entirely wasting the battlecry that way and almost a whole turn. Chances are your first beast then has to be defensive.

Finalow

I don't remember the last time I've played on ladder with a good Hunter deck, so I'm secretly hoping there will be one.

I think you misunderstand how it works. I've been playing for about a year and a half now, and I have NEVER gotten a Preparation, but I have opened 5 Gruuls. So I dusted my Gruuls and crafted Preparations.

Then I opened Preparation for my first time a week later.

That's how it works.
sounds about right.

You should definitely disenchant every single Gorehowl you get.
Trust me.
not sure if sarcasm but I've always kept 1 and dusted any copy I got.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Brian "Brian Kibler" Kibler Card Review Part 3 - Shaman, Warlock and Warrior LINK

Only 5 cost or less beasts are options.

But you're entirely wasting the battlecry that way and almost a whole turn. Chances are your first beast then has to be defensive.

Why are you wasting the battlecry? Even control decks use minions to control the board. If your first beast must be defensive, I disagree btw, so what? You have an endless amount of threats for the rest of the game. They can't out value you, they really have one avenue to win that and is smorcing, and not all control decks can do that game plan very well.

You're only skipping a whole turn if you play it exactly on 5. This doesn't need to be played on 5 and can also simply be held for maximum value off the AOE or when you start to or do run out of resources.

I am not saying it'll certainly be very strong, but it will be playable in certain match ups. If your opponent intends to win by running you out of resources, you pop this, have some impact on the board from the AOE, and then you have double draw for the rest of the game like zoolock does.

ZeroX03

Banned
Just eyeballed the set. Not a whole lot of thoughts. Love Sanguine Reveler and Righteous Protector, they seem fantastic. Not feeling any of the heroes except Thrall, probably because he's the only 'quick' one.

Bit busy but I'll try and dig in on the weekend. Have 55k gold so it should be fun to open some cards, hopefully it goes better than Ungoro where it was two garbage legendaries over 50 packs.

sibarraz

Banned
I hope that Hunter becames viable in this set, they have my favorite cards so far, even though I don't know how you could mesh them well

Why are you wasting the battlecry? Even control decks use minions to control the board. If your first beast must be defensive, I disagree btw, so what? You have an endless amount of threats for the rest of the game. They can't out value you, they really have one avenue to win that and is smorcing, and not all control decks can do that game plan very well.

You're only skipping a whole turn if you play it exactly on 5. This doesn't need to be played on 5 and can also simply be held for maximum value off the AOE or when you start to or do run out of resources.

I am not saying it'll certainly be very strong, but it will be playable in certain match ups. If your opponent intends to win by running you out of resources, you pop this, have some impact on the board from the AOE, and then you have double draw for the rest of the game like zoolock does.
it's a 2 damage aoe, few control decks are particularly affected by that. Rexxar costs 6 not 5. It's not like Hunter is the only class that got a DK and while Rexxar let's you grind other DKs let control decks smorc. Any turn later than 6 let control decks follow up with much bigger stuff that might well be able to smorc the hunter which is why a beast will have to be defensive.

I agree that rexxar is a good card but it's really designed to counter control imo.

Bunga

Just eyeballed the set. Not a whole lot of thoughts. Love Sanguine Reveler and Righteous Protector, they seem fantastic. Not feeling any of the heroes except Thrall, probably because he's the only 'quick' one.

Bit busy but I'll try and dig in on the weekend. Have 55k gold so it should be fun to open some cards, hopefully it goes better than Ungoro where it was two garbage legendaries over 50 packs.

You've amassed 55k gold since Un'Goro or? Lol that's insane dude.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

The true 1%

Magnus

My updated iPhone client/app has all the new shit, including all the KOFT cards listed under collection.

My updated iPad app has everything as well (new KOFT board, new lifesteal keyword, etc), but strangely, no KOFT set or cards under Collection.

What up?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Most important exam of my life in 4 days
Hearthstone expansion release today

Body says "fuck you" and gives me the worst flu I've had in years... feel like dying, stuff coming from both ends at the same time.

Kill me.

I got to Rank 10 a few days ago, and cannot be bothered to go any higher until the expansion launches, so looked at Warlock. It is obviously not a great class, but it not terrible as I thought

Combos like Bloodboom / DOOM / Violet Illusionist and Low cost Deathrattles / Ravenous Pterrordax work well right now, and can only get better once the expansion comes out. Hellfire is already a good board clear for most heavy Aggro, and Defile will help that. Medivh / DOOM or Twisting Nether are huge swings later on. Shadowflame is a great follow up if needed. Weird nonsense like Mistress of Mixture / Moat Lurker / Spiritsinger Umbra are great heals. 12 points. Add in Unwilliing Sacrifice to that mess, and you have 16 points

I am suddenly excited to play Warlock tonight, the new stuff will really really help. I might still not be great, but it look like it will be even more complex to eek out wins, which is fun to me.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Why would they print that paladin card?

1 1 taunt with divine shield

Auto draft in arena too. Good early game and good late.

Oh fuck me I meant 5.5k whoops, sorry for Trumping my wealth

I read your first post, and was running some numbers to calculate how 55K would be even possible, and came to the conclusion it was not - unless you were an unstoppable Arena god. I was honestly ready to believe you were an Arena god! :p

Let's, say you did a 50g quest every day since Ungoro. That is only 6500 gold. If you somehow managed to win 30 games every day since Ungoro. That 13000 gold. I dont think 30 wins is possible for most people a day. so cut that in half for a better average for most very active players. That's another 6500

Honestly, I think the most normal highly active players could hope to achieve is to land somewhere near 10K between expansion, and that still needs a lot of time devoted to playing to get there. Anyone that saved anything close to (or above) 7000 is going great work!

Bunga

Oh fuck me I meant 5.5k whoops, sorry for Trumping my wealth

Lol phew, I thought my 3k was good going til you dropped 55k!

I think this will be the most packs I have ever opened in one sitting, approximately 100. My understanding is that:

Guaranteed legendary in first 10 packs
Guaranteed legendary after completing prologue of adventure
Guaranteed at least 1 legendary every 40 packs

So, at the very least, I should be looking at 4 legendaries, right?

Is there any best way to go about this now we don't get duplicates in terms of crafting some before the guaranteed legendaries? I have about 5k dust at the moment.

I read your first post, and was running some numbers to calculate how 55K would be even possible, and came to the conclusion it was not - unless you were an unstoppable Arena god. I was honestly ready to believe you were an Arena god! :p

Let's, say you did a 50g quest every day since Ungoro. That is only 6500 gold. If you somehow managed to win 30 games every day since Ungoro. That 13000 gold. I dont think 30 wins is possible for most people a day. so cut that in half for a better average for most very active players. That's another 6500

Honestly, I think the most normal highly active players could hope to achieve is to land somewhere near 10K between expansion, and that still needs a lot of time devoted to playing to get there. Anyone that saved anything close to (or above) 7000 is going great work!

Have to take into consideration the amount people will likely spend immediately on more Un'Goro packs to expand their collection after the expansion dropped.

Fersis

Most important exam of my life in 4 days
Hearthstone expansion release today

Body says "fuck you" and gives me the worst flu I've had in years... feel like dying, stuff coming from both ends at the same time.

Kill me.

Get well buddy!

CoolOff

Looking at class neutrals, I think I'm most intrigued by Warrior and Hunter in arena. I mean, Warrior will still be shit, but the draw weapons-card will make for some interesting drafts.

Top Bottom