• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

So are there no new exciting archetypes to try out at all yet? I'm looking for a reason to jump back in but don't see one at all. It looks the same as a month ago. What has this expansion changed?

for a start everyone is running greedy af decks. There's only a few new archetypes that seem decent to great currently (Taunt Druid, Demonlock, Combo Priest) but also a resurgence of older ones that got new tools or stand a chance in this meta ultra greedy meta (Fatigue Warrior, Tempo Rogue, Control Paladin, Buffadin, Quest Mage)

Grief.exe

So are there no new exciting archetypes to try out at all yet? I'm looking for a reason to jump back in but don't see one at all. It looks the same as a month ago. What has this expansion changed?

Dead Man's Hand Control Warrior and Machine Gun Priest look pretty crazy.

I've been playing around with Highlander Priest and it's a lot of fun, need more tools for aggro though.

Ladekabel

When you don't play Hearthstone a few days after a new expansion hits because you got the For Azeroth! quest and don't want to feel bad for rerolling it the next day because you already started it.

If your impression of the Ungoro meta was Jade Druid and midrange hunter then I don't know that anything we say is going to affect you.

But some things I've played against in the past few days that weren't really a thing in Ungoro:
-Midrange Druid
-Exodia Paladin
-Elemental Mage
-Quest Mage
-Raza/DK priest
-Warlock of any kind
-Fatigue warrior
-Tempo warrior
-Handbuff Paladin

Not all of these are tier 1 or will remain in the meta, but they either weren't getting played at all a month ago or were niche decks people mostly memed with.

Beckx

Big Priest is the most fun I'm having right now.

Barnes + Eternal Servitude + Shadow Essence + big minions (Obsidian Statue, Lich King, etc.)

Demon Warlock is a close second for fun.

there's a lot of new and interesting stuff if you want to find it. conversely if you're soured and looking for confirmation of what made you sour to begin with, you can find that too. i mean jade druid is getting huge impact from multiple new cards but if you want to find "oh, the same old druid" then that's what you find.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
After facing my third insanely greedy priest today, I can't help but go pirate warrior. Like I love trying to solve aggro, but I hate trying to solve ultra greed because it's so obvious, it's just boring.

No class can really out greed priest.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Dead archetype. List one non-aggro deck that can't wipe a Patron Board over and over. They will never stick.

Between Val'kyr Soulclaimer and Rotface, you can now force more board clears than most midrange decks run. But yeah, control's too good.

Maybe a patron mill deck could work? Unfortunately I don't want to craft Dead Man's Hand to find out.

Warrior can but they're equally as bad to play against.

That's true. Both classes even have hard fatigue counters.

for a start everyone is running greedy af decks. There's only a few new archetypes that seem decent to great currently (Taunt Druid, Demonlock, Combo Priest) but also a resurgence of older ones that got new tools or stand a chance in this meta ultra greedy meta (Fatigue Warrior, Tempo Rogue, Control Paladin, Buffadin, Quest Mage)

So I just looked up combo priest and it doesn't run any new cards at all, at last the lists I could find.

I'm so annoyed that the DK I got is valeera, is it even worth trying to use? Or the rubbish freeze shaman? Why print a freeze shaman legendary when it's just pointless trash.

I honestly don't know what to run. Looking at my list of decks and nothing looks interesting or decent.

shoelacer

Banned
This has me currently at my highest rank ever! Rank 3

I used to had embrace the shadows and circle of healing but against druid shadow word horror is way better, also don't be afraid of using SW: Shield on your opponent's minions. The faster you put an Obsidian Statue in the field, the faster you will win

8mqneTH.png

I'm late but I've been playing a version of this lately and holy shit is it hilarious. In my last game I dropped Barnes on 4, which pulled Yshaarj, which pulled a taunt. He mortal coiled the tiny yshaarj, I played Onyx Bishop on 5 this rezzing the 10/10 version. Instaconcede.

So I just looked up combo priest and it doesn't run any new cards at all, at last the lists I could find.

I'm so annoyed that the DK I got is valeera, is it even worth trying to use? Or the rubbish freeze shaman? Why print a freeze shaman legendary when it's just pointless trash.

I honestly don't know what to run. Looking at my list of decks and nothing looks interesting or decent.
Except the literal centerpiece that is required for them to win DK Anduin?

Rogue is too bad right now for Valeera to do anything. I haven't used my golden copy once.
I'm particularly annoyed they made more of those after gang up and jade idol.

Thijs ran a raza combo list as a joke that uses Velen Mirage Caller and Raza Anduin + Snowflipper Penguin for an OTK.

Climbed some 600 spots in legend with it.

2 Velen 4 Velen Copy 8 Circle of Healing 8 Snowflipper Penguin 8 for 30 damage.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

I think Rogue DK only really works in miracle with Arcane Giants and Vanish. With those you can do stuff like Stealth your hero to stall one turn, then vanish and play Giants then next, including a copied giant, and then copy Eviscerate the next turn for some large reach.

If/when aggro comes back, I don't think that deathknight will have any place.

I think this guy's deck is good:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CompetitiveHS/comments/6tqwhz/thought_on_valeera_the_hollow/dlmuh5o/

This deck has the highest winrate on HSreplay, but I don't think the deathknight is good for it, with the deathknight having a lower played winrate than even patches:

https://hsreplay.net/decks/osYNMWsYzxguQ3gLZpPMCg/

There's only one deck on HSreplay with both vanish and the DK, and it's pretty bad. I don't know how that one reached 2100 games.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
God damn, I am having a fucking impossible day with this warrior quest. I just want my 60g folks! It's damn impossible to win sometimes.

I am still REALLY liking the Raza/DK Priest deck for laddering though. There are TONS of options based on the meta you're seeing. You can go heavy anti-aggro or greedy control or something between. It's really versatile.

God damn, I am having a fucking impossible day with this warrior quest. I just want my 60g folks! It's damn impossible to win sometimes.

I am still REALLY liking the Raza/DK Priest deck for laddering though. There are TONS of options based on the meta you're seeing. You can go heavy anti-aggro or greedy control or something between. It's really versatile.
I won most of my games playing a PW list with a single forge of souls in it. That card is as fantastic as expected easy 5/5 card.

Owzers

Is it time to dust black rock mountain dragons and the Nax deathrattle twins?

Down to 5200 dust and want to craft many legendaries still...

Between Val'kyr Soulclaimer and Rotface, you can now force more board clears than most midrange decks run. But yeah, control's too good.

Maybe a patron mill deck could work? Unfortunately I don't want to craft Dead Man's Hand to find out.

I can't imagine Dead Man's Hand being better with Patron than with Arcane Giant, unfortunately. Feel free to try it, though!

I'm very sympathetic to what you're saying. Two months ago someone hit legend with Patron Quest Warrior in Wild. I tried the deck and struggled around rank 5, but maybe that's my shortcoming.

I havent lost as hunter so far using it, seems great

MM will correct this.

Is it time to dust black rock mountain dragons and the Nax deathrattle twins?

Down to 5200 dust and want to craft many legendaries still...

I regret every adventure dust.

Decklist?

4-0 with this deck so far

### Secret Death Knight
# Class: Hunter
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Mammoth
#
# 2x (1) On the Hunt
# 2x (1) Secretkeeper
# 2x (1) Tracking
# 2x (2) Cat Trick
# 1x (2) Flare
# 2x (2) Freezing Trap
# 2x (2) Snipe
# 1x (2) Venomstrike Trap
# 2x (3) Animal Companion
# 2x (3) Cloaked Huntress
# 2x (3) Deadly Shot
# 2x (3) Eaglehorn Bow
# 1x (3) Stitched Tracker
# 2x (3) Unleash the Hounds
# 1x (4) Barnes
# 1x (6) Deathstalker Rexxar
# 2x (6) Savannah Highmane
# 1x (7) Bonemare
#
AAECAR8GgAedzALTzQKFuAKG0wKmzgIM6asCngGXCPixAocErga1A8S0AsUI/gzbCe0JAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

I played variations quite a bit on day one and got up to like rank 2 or 3 before becoming annoyed. Did a little tweaking and while I am back at rank 5 again it's a really fun deck to play when you get deathstalker rexxar going.

And the cherry on top is running 1 flare to deal with quest mages. Just got my first lethal through iceblock due to it.

I've been experimenting with some tweaking. I also crafted professor putrecide but haven't played it enough to decide on it yet. I have a single tundra rhino because that card is honestly sometimes an amazing card to have on board with the hero power you have with rexxar. I think I cut both UTH for putrecide and rhino, but that list is still unproven.

Since that post I am back to rank 2 again though.

I've been experimenting with some tweaking. I also crafted professor putrecide but haven't played it enough to decide on it yet. I have a single tundra rhino because that card is honestly sometimes an amazing card to have on board with the hero power you have with rexxar. I think I cut both UTH for putrecide and rhino, but that list is still unproven.

Since that post I am back to rank 2 again though.

I still feel like you should experiment with N'Zoth in there. With Tracker you are one of a few classes that can pull off multiple N'Zoths, and you would bring back all of the deathrattle minions you crafted.

Alright I'm torn on Valeera. Slow doesn't begin to describe her but boy does she put in work once she gets going, you're drawing the best card in your hand over and over at no cost, it's kinda ridiculous.

Lifesteal minion crafts let this happen.

6/6 Lifesteal Deathrattle that summons six 1/1s when it dies? Oh yeah, that's the good stuff.

I think in all my games I've only played a lifesteal zombeast one time. 5 mana 4/4 is really inefficient. If I had a stonetusk boar in first pick, then maybe... but there are often better options than lifesteal.

edit:
maybe twice

I think in all my games I've only played a lifesteal zombeast one time. 5 mana 4/4 is really inefficient. If I had a stonetusk boar in first pick, then maybe... but there are often better options than lifesteal.

edit:
maybe twice
It's more about sustain against certain archetypes to me. You need some way to prevent a Paladin from slowly chopping at your head.

Was playing a Lakkari sacrifice Warlock. He completed the quest, had it in hand with two other cards and had a Howlfiend on board.

Pretty good example of how stupid discard is.

Lifesteal minion crafts let this happen.

6/6 Lifesteal Deathrattle that summons six 1/1s when it dies? Oh yeah, that's the good stuff.

Like Mobius said the Blood Worm is a pretty high cost. Not to mention that requires you to draw Rexxar, play him, get Blood Worm as an option and have the mana to play it. It's just a lot to ask. I've chosen it a few times and think I've got the heal out of it once. People hard remove that shit, especially in Hunter.

It's more about sustain against certain archetypes to me. You need some way to prevent a Paladin from slowly chopping at your head.

Taunts are better for that and a lot faster.

Also nay to n'zoth. Too slow. Way too slow. Not even enough deathrattles. You draw nzoth and it's a dead card. So dead it should summon itself if you ever play it.

Grief.exe

I wonder if running a Spirit Lash and Corpsetaker in my Highlander Priest deck would help with aggro. The Corpsetaker would get Lifesteal and Taunt from the Obsidian Statue.

Spirit Lash probably closer to being viable.

KuroNeeko

Sibarraz hit me up with a PAF quest leading to one of the most bizarre matches I've ever played: DK Rexxar vs. DK Rexxar. Spoiler:
DK Rexxar won

Gold gave me an extra pack, and I knew the timer was nigh, so I busted it open hoping for a DK Jaina / DK Malfurion. It was DK Valeera.

Good enough! ^^

To be honest, I'm really enjoying the DKs this set--especially DK Rexxar. I like the alternate voices and hero powers and DK Rexxar has me playing more Hunter than...well, ever I guess. DK Gul'dan has been a lot of fun as well.

I haven't been playing with DK Uther though--I'm really tempted to just dust my Paladin cards since I never play them. I can probably dust Rags already since he leaves next year. Dusting Uther and Bolvar would help me craft Mal or Jaina--or at least some Statues for Priest.

Also, I really want Frost Mage / Shaman to be a thing...maaan.

Maybe I'll try out a DK Jaina deck. Oh, the card is the third to last card in my fucking deck? Okay, cool.

Shit like that that makes me not even want to boot up the fucking game.

Top Bottom