• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

Dahbomb

patches is the only thing making golakka crab playable.

They made Golakka Crab SPECIFICALLY to "counter" Patches. If Golakki doesn't see play now then it will never see play.

Dr. boom was much more troublesome than patches imo. It had no pre-req, tons of rng, and greatly boosted any deck's winrate if they drew it before turn 7. At least patches is not rng, although the consistency is power of course.
Patches has way more impact than Dr Boom ever did simply because he gets played WAY more often in a match. It always comes out when the first Pirate is played.

The RNG for sure made Dr Boom but Dr Boom doesn't snowball the game from the start and can at least be reacted to. You are not reacting to the chip damage done by Patches that gets played on turn 1 and charges your face.

This expansion has exposed more issues with Patches. Rogues use it in their Quest to charge Southsea and Patches for 10 damage to face/board. Druids can use it to pull out a charger from the deck for Savage Roar lethals or wider board buffs. It's just an insanely exploitable card if aggro decks are allowed to be good (and they are still good).

I am willing to bet that the winrate of Nzoth's First Mate (and pulling a Patches) played on turn 1 is higher than Dr Boom played on turn 7.

vall03

So, instead of just focusing on the Legendaries, I scoured my collection for Epics that I'm still missing, I kinda hated the Reno meta as I just left a lot of cards to just one and never bothered to craft a second one. I'm wondering what would be good crafts from this list? It doesn't include everything though. Thoughts on what I should prioritize from this list? I don't play all classes though.

Code:
Ancient of War x2
Stampede x1
Ice Block x1
Cabalist Tome x1
Meteor x2
Primalfin Champion x2
Curious Glimmerroot x2
Forbidden Shaping x2
Embrace the Shadow x1
Shadowform x2
Mindgames x2
Dragonfire Potion x1
Vilespine Slayer x1
Earth Elemental x2
Stone Sentinel x2
Renounce Darkness x2
Twisting Nether x1
Shield Slam x2
Explore Un'Goro x2
Blood Warriors x2
Brawl x1
Sudden Genesis x2
Gorehowl x2
Dirty Rat x1
Doomsayer x1
Gluttonous Ooze x2
Bright-eyed Scout x2
Faceless Shambler x1
Gentle Megasaur x1
Twilight Summoner x1
Bittertide Hydra x1
Burgly Bully x1
Faceless Manipulator x1
Blazecaller x1
Mountain Giant x1

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
01R5HTO.jpg

Hooray got a goldie

Been playing since about may of last year. Played so many different decks with Warrior: Cthun, Tempo, Taunt, Pirate, Quest. Most were different enough, though Quest is just an extension of Taunt. Thank you Pirate Warrior for making the last 200 as easy as can be.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Dinosize seems like a really good ivory knight buff.

Taunt warrior's first 3 minions against my priest were dirty rat deathlord dirty rat, pulling big minions 2/3 times. It went poorly for him.

Grief.exe

I clicked on "Top decks by rank" (5 to Legend) and I got:

Pirate Warrior
Token Druid
Midrange Hunter
Control Warrior
Miracle Rogue

Secret Mage doesn't show up at any of those ranks actually. I was going to craft a Quest Warrior, but now I'm not so sure.

I want to play around with Cabalist's Tome, Primordial Glyph, and Pyroblast in my Secret Mage, not necessarily all at once, but they are too expensive.

KuroNeeko

So this happened.

My first brush with greatness
maybe

Taunt Warrior vs. Quest Priest.
We went five cards into fatigue and I only managed to win because I Shadow Visionsed my Un'goro Pack.

Was a really good game, but man, I was tired after it was finished. lol

I think Quest Priest (with a Value mindset), will be the best deck to come out of the expansion - for me. It is the most fun for me anyway.

It helps me with Rogue Quest, even with an early Power Core

Wow! That's crazy! I've been playing a lot of Quest Priest and I just concede if they play the quest.
There's no way you can pressure them enough with your deathrattles.

That's really impressive that you're posting positive results.

It is fun, but for me, Lyra and Shadow Visions → Un'goro Pack has been the most fun with Priest this expansion.

I'm 9-0 vs priest with quest rogue lol

I think they expect to beat me with purify priest due to the huge health taunts, but my vilespine slayers like to show up and crash the party. Also deals with 8/8s if they go the quest route.

Yeah, I made the case that the match-up is winnable for Priest the other day...and it is, but not as Quest Priest. I usually just concede and move on with my QP list.

where is this promised land of free wins?'

ps i think I'm going to do my best to keep priests out of rotation on ladder, nobody needs to be subjected to priest.

Keep playing Control Warrior. You'll get there eventually. (LOL)

FINE Blizzard pack RNG, you win. After what...2 years of playing? - I still haven't gotten a single Preparation in packs.

So I crafted two.

Now I can play N'Zoth Mill Rogue.

Edit: LOL I have no idea how to play this deck.

Please tell me this is in Standard...
Nah sorry, I only play Wild. I really like building a collection that has long-term meaning and results in fun synergies as new decks come out. I should never have dusted Stalagg and Fuegen (spelling?) - but who knew N'Zoth would come out? Ditto for Majordomo and Aymara. I'm done dusting non-copies!!!

I just played 4 N'Zoths in a row against an Elemental Shaman that summoned nothing but Sludge Belchers and Deathlords, lol! This deck is a LOT of fun.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Nah sorry, I only play Wild. I really like building a collection that has long-term meaning and results in fun synergies as new decks come out. I should never have dusted Stalagg and Fuegen (spelling?) - but who knew N'Zoth would come out? Ditto for Majordomo and Aymara. I'm done dusting non-copies!!!

I just played 4 N'Zoths in a row against an Elemental Shaman that summoned nothing but Sludge Belchers and Deathlords, lol! This deck is a LOT of fun.

Umbra into Stalagg or Feugen once the other is dead is pretty gross too.

There are tons of stupid value plays in wild that you play 10 games against ultra aggro to try to pull off.

They made Golakka Crab SPECIFICALLY to "counter" Patches. If Golakki doesn't see play now then it will never see play.

Patches has way more impact than Dr Boom ever did simply because he gets played WAY more often in a match. It always comes out when the first Pirate is played.

The RNG for sure made Dr Boom but Dr Boom doesn't snowball the game from the start and can at least be reacted to. You are not reacting to the chip damage done by Patches that gets played on turn 1 and charges your face.

This expansion has exposed more issues with Patches. Rogues use it in their Quest to charge Southsea and Patches for 10 damage to face/board. Druids can use it to pull out a charger from the deck for Savage Roar lethals or wider board buffs. It's just an insanely exploitable card if aggro decks are allowed to be good (and they are still good).

I am willing to bet that the winrate of Nzoth's First Mate (and pulling a Patches) played on turn 1 is higher than Dr Boom played on turn 7.

You're not really contradicting anything I said. Dr. boom is less consistent than patches. You'll have many games where you never even draw it. Singular cards that when drawn/played that rocket your winrate up like dr. boom and reno, these cards can be problematic in a way patches can't because of patches consistency in impacting the game.

Dahbomb

Going by the stats online, it seems the highest winrate cards when played are actually the finishers like Bloodlust, Fireball, Alex, Antonidas, Leeroy etc. Cards that are only played when you win and not when you are losing.

It's hard to account for stats like that. And of course Patches "played winrate" is among the lowest of the played cards in the meta but no one actually "plays" Patches from hand if they don't have to so those stats are meaningless. Something like Nzoth's First Mate and Southsea do have high played winrates though.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Why everybody so scared to play in Wild? Is it because the game costs an obscene amount to play more than one or two decks, so they have to sell cards when they rotate into wild?

scarlet

Why everybody so scared to play in Wild? Is it because the game costs an obscene amount to play more than one or two decks, so they have to sell cards when they rotate into wild?

Because I don't have the cards from pre WoToG nor have the dust to craft it.

Dahbomb

I play Wild from time to time when I am inspired.

But a big issue with Wild is that you can't really play around much. It affects mulligan strategies (except Hunter because they play the same shit no matter the mode or the year or the expansion) and long term planning. That's the problem when there's a large variety of possible decks that you might encounter.

It's a good problem to have though. But start of expansion I like to play Standard because there's more focus on the new cards. Newer cards get more room to shine and don't get lost in the large pool of cards in Wild.

Another issue with Wild is that at the top end it starts to narrow in and feel a lot like playing Standard in steroids. People aren't good enough to make their own fine tuned Wild decks because of the mammoth library so they just copy the best Standard decks and add 2-3 busted Wild cards. So you are still going to see Pirate Warrior and Token Druid at the top end in Wild which is a bummer.

If I have 1000 gold to spare I might actually enter the Wild Heroic Brawl. But that's a big maybe, I doubt I would have that much cash to throw away.

NBtoaster

It's weird how I never see streamers play against quest rogue but its so common at rank 10. It completes the quest every time by turn 5 and then you lose within 3 turns. Are legend players actually just dumb?

Dahbomb

It's weird how I never see streamers play against quest rogue but its so common at rank 10. It completes the quest every time by turn 5 and then you lose within 3 turns. Are legend players actually just dumb?
Quest Rogue isn't that common on Legend because there's more aggro that feasts on Quest Rogue.

Quest Rogue is definitely "flavor of the month" type deck that is likely to fade away next month if the meta doesn't slow down. And even if it did slow down I feel the Miracoli Rogue will probably be the more common Rogue deck.

Blizzard

Banned
Because that doesn't actually happen consistently. I started taking notes at rank 20 playing a bunch of quest rogue games.

I won 8 out of the first 10, but one of the losses I couldn't finish the quest until about turn 8. Another of the losses, I couldn't finish the quest until about turn 10. Two of the WINS, I still couldn't finish the quest until turn 7-8.
I lost 6 out of the next 8 and that's where I am right now, around level 18-19. Of those last 8 games, I finished quest on turns 7-9 in 4 different games.

You can run the statistics or try it yourself if you don't believe me.

Quest Rogue isn't that common on Legend because there's more aggro that feasts on Quest Rogue.

Quest Rogue is definitely "flavor of the month" type deck that is likely to fade away next month if the meta doesn't slow down. And even if it did slow down I feel the Miracoli Rogue will probably be the more common Rogue deck.
It is definitely flavour of the month but we already see multiple renditions of it that try to tackle issues the deck has. It could fade away but it could just as well further evolve, the core of it is too powerful not to try make work.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
StrifeCro is climbing really well with his midrange paladin list. Limited murlocs (no finja or charger), curator, spikeridged steed, laying on hands, vinecleaver and the Tarim bomb.

He seems to think very highly of the deck and Tarim in particular.

The 3 mana taunt discover is OP as fuck in paladin.

patchday

01R5HTO.jpg

Hooray got a goldie

Been playing since about may of last year. Played so many different decks with Warrior: Cthun, Tempo, Taunt, Pirate, Quest. Most were different enough, though Quest is just an extension of Taunt. Thank you Pirate Warrior for making the last 200 as easy as can be.

grats! ya before patches I only played PW in Casual mostly to clear warrior quests. Ranked wins were less than 10 (I didnt play warrior much at all in ranked). Post patches-- yeah I'm now at 191 wins. which is not bad for a guy that was only playing every 3 days to clear quest log. on some weekends I would play a little more

While I dont think Rogue quest is OP anymore, it is still cancer, I played around six games tonight and faced rogue quest in every single one of them, you are basically hoping/playing around your opponent not getting lucky and finishing quest by turn 4, otherwise you are pretty much screwed most of the time.

I would rather see Charge needed so it can't hit face still. Ditto for weapons unless the board is clear. That would fix a lot of issues with aggro.

I want to make a
Mage or Priest deck that just aims to steal or ruin other players quests.
Secret Mage with Counterspells and Mana Binds. Arcanologist into Kirin Tor Mage with a free Counterspells feels so good.

squidyj

While I dont think Rogue quest is OP anymore, it is still cancer, I played around six games tonight and faced rogue quest in every single one of them, you are basically hoping/playing around your opponent not getting lucky and finishing quest by turn 4, otherwise you are pretty much screwed most of the time.

thats funny because quest rogue makes up a tiny number of my matches at rank 3

Pooya

putting quest mage at 1, played eye for an eye and I just left the game running for 3 turns while I was doing other stuff, rope fast burning every turn. fun and interactive. hehe.

Top Bottom