• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

kirblar

Its amusing how i hear all this priest complaint by i rarely run into them in the ladder (r3 now).
Ez priest is almost auto win vs razakus anyway.
It's not a power level complaint so much as it is "this deck is f'ing miserable to play against" complaint.

Hycran

Banned
It's not a power level complaint so much as it is "this deck is f'ing miserable to play against" complaint.

Not only that, but it is an absolute fucking bore to play. I tried it out because I was excited to get a few wins with priest but doing nothing until turn 6 is awful and the games just drag on forever. I'm sticking with warlock for now and maybe some Mage.

scarlet

sPQU8jg.png

FINALLY!

After been so close few times, I finally did it!

I went around 20-5 from rank 4 0 star.

After reached rank 1 3 stars few days ago, I was down to rank 4 again yesterday, but slowly went 15-2 with jade druid to rank 1.

Tired of playing against aggro with jade druid in rank 1-2. I decided to crafted 2 southsea captain, and played PW.

I made it to rank 1 5 stars twice, failed my 1st time to aggro murloc, but then won in turn 4 the next time I faced another aggro murloc for final boss.

Now I can literally relax and trying to get Arthas.

Never again I'd do this, kudos to the streamers and pro players.

I wish Blizzard would rework the ladder system already. Just feels like the game stagnates so freaking quickly these days, though I guess the Druid situation doesn't really help.

Q8D3vil

FINALLY!

After been so close few times, I finally did it!

I went around 20-5 from rank 4 0 star.

After reached rank 1 3 stars few days ago, I was down to rank 4 again yesterday, but slowly went 15-2 with jade druid to rank 1.

Tired of playing against aggro with jade druid in rank 1-2. I decided to crafted 2 southsea captain, and played PW.

I made it to rank 1 5 stars twice, failed my 1st time to aggro murloc, but then won in turn 4 the next time I faced another aggro murloc for final boss.

Now I can literally relax and trying to get Arthas.

Never again I'd do this, kudos to the streamers and pro players.
Gratz, i remember my first time reaching rank 1 and switching to secret palladin. Didnt play it before and won 5 games.

scarlet

I still regretted my decision to trade my 5/4 berserker into 1/1 murloc, cuz I'm afraid of steed in my 1st final boss. I could've won that one, cuz I was off by 5 damage.

Congrats!

Gratz, i remember my first time reaching rank 1 and switching to secret palladin. Didnt play it before and won 5 games.

Thank you!

I changed to PW cuz it's quick, I didn't care anymore if I win or lose, as long as it's a quick match.

I wish Blizzard would rework the ladder system already. Just feels like the game stagnates so freaking quickly these days, though I guess the Druid situation doesn't really help.

Indeed. The grinding is crazy, but I appreciate they lock the rank after rank 15, 10, and 5.

Zoggy

Reaching legend only counts if you get there playing decks that are not meta.

Stop playing cancer and queue up with pirate priest or elemental hunter, nub.

WHAT HTE FUCK

So a Warlock uses Soul Fire

discards Cruel Dinomancer

Then he plays another Cruel Dinomancer

And then they just kept summoning each other over and over again. That surprised me.

Worth it to get into this game? Would be playing on an S8+, first screen size I've considered longer-form gaming on a phone with so interested in the F2P options.

Also how much am I likely to spend (if anything) in the early-mid game, being realistic, to have a decent amount of fun. Don't mind spending bits here and there if the hooks are decent.

kirblar

The ๖ۜBronx;247091126 said:
Worth it to get into this game? Would be playing on an S8+, first screen size I've considered longer-form gaming on a phone with so interested in the F2P options.

Also how much am I likely to spend (if anything) in the early-mid game, being realistic, to have a decent amount of fun. Don't mind spending bits here and there if the hooks are decent.
Yes. I've got an S8+. Game works perfect on it.

Welcome pack is great, 5 bux, effectiively 2 guaranteed legendaries in the packs. Definitely worth getting, as well as at least "One Night in Karazhan" since it's a guaranteed set of cards and not random packs.

I can send ya a recruit a friend link if you want.

There is a trick to saving money w/ the game- if you install the game via Amazon's appstore instead of google play, you can buy "coins" through Amazon, which are cheaper than their real-money equivalent via battle.net bux.

Yes. I've got an S8+. Game works perfect on it.

Welcome pack is great, 5 bux, effectiively 2 guaranteed legendaries in the packs. Definitely worth getting, as well as at least "One Night in Karazhan" since it's a guaranteed set of cards and not random packs.

I can send ya a recruit a friend link if you want.

There is a trick to saving money w/ the game- if you install the game via Amazon's appstore instead of google play, you can buy "coins" through Amazon, which are cheaper than their real-money equivalent via battle.net bux.
Thanks for the reply. That all sounds good, especially the tip about the Amazon app-store savings. I've already created an account just to have a peek so sorry on the referral, should have thought about that really.

Will have a play around with it and drop the cash on Thursday if it's looking like I'll stick. Certainly been a long time since I've fallen into a card game!

Edit: Also thanks for the tip on the tutorial, will focus on getting that done in that time b

kirblar

Oh, one thing on purchases- for "Wild" (aka older ones not in Standard) cards and card sets they are available to purchase direct through Battle.net's website, but aren't in the app or PC client.

Q8D3vil

Reaching legend only counts if you get there playing decks that are not meta.

Stop playing cancer and queue up with pirate priest or elemental hunter, nub.
So i reached legend 4 times out of 5, ill take it.
My favorite one was reaching it with renomage and pogchamp shaman

The ๖ۜBronx;247091358 said:
Thanks for the reply. That all sounds good, especially the tip about the Amazon app-store savings. I've already created an account just to have a peek so sorry on the referral, should have thought about that really.

Will have a play around with it and drop the cash on Thursday if it's looking like I'll stick. Certainly been a long time since I've fallen into a card game!

Edit: Also thanks for the tip on the tutorial, will focus on getting that done in that time b

Also, not just the tutorial....in order to unlock all the basic cards I believe you have to get each class to level 10 or 15. I could be wrong on this but I think I remember not playing any matches against real players until I unlocked everything.

Lyng

Man the lich king paladin fight is just the perfect way to showcase how insanely bad this solo adventure is designed. Pure rng bullshit.

OH and I dont want to call it lazy because clearly alot of work went into crafting it, its apparently just sheer incompetence.

I used this one subbing for a bunch of cards I didn't have

2 Wild Pyromancer
2 Frothing Berserker
2 Whirlwind
2 Commanding Shout
2 Dread Corsair
2 Inner Rage
2 Acolyte of Pain
2 Shield Block
2 Fiery War Axe
1 Grommash Hellscream
2 Armorsmith
2 Battle Rage
2 Death's Bite
2 Grim Patron
2 Ravaging Ghoul
1 Blood Razor

AAEBAQcC0gLMzQIOFpADkQPUBPwEjgXuBvYH/weCCPsMjQ7nEYKtAgA=

you need a patron online by turn 5 or 6 and it's a bad idea to leave just one on the board because of obliterate.

scarlet

I used this one subbing for a bunch of cards I didn't have

2 Wild Pyromancer
2 Frothing Berserker
2 Whirlwind
2 Commanding Shout
2 Dread Corsair
2 Inner Rage
2 Acolyte of Pain
2 Shield Block
2 Fiery War Axe
1 Grommash Hellscream
2 Armorsmith
2 Battle Rage
2 Death's Bite
2 Grim Patron
2 Ravaging Ghoul
1 Blood Razor

AAEBAQcC0gLMzQIOFpADkQPUBPwEjgXuBvYH/weCCPsMjQ7nEYKtAgA=

What's the strategy here? And how do I remove the 2/6s?

What's the strategy here? And how do I remove the 2/6s?

patrons trade into the 2/6s favourably and you're running a bunch of aoe. Afterwards make a huge frothing and go face hoping there's no blizzard.

Get huge amounts of armor with armorsmiths to extend the game. I used a blood warriors I had to get some additional patrons and frothings.

Beat the tutorials, all going well so far. Just a few quick questions if someone wouldn't mind helping out:

- How casually (or for how long) can you play the game without needing to look up decks? As much as I'd love to get into that side of it eventually with all the games coming out soon I won't have the time to commit to strategy outside of my own meddling.

- Are there any preferred pack types of those you can buy - not counting the beginner ones or the story one? Be good to know which are recommended.

- Rough length of time to be able to unlock all the deck types (meaning Mage, Warrior etc)? Got an Epic card from one of the free booster packs but can't use it in my Mage deck (only one I have so far).

From that initial tutorial only lost once by 1 life, rest of it managed to grasp. Like the style of it, and the animations are nice too. There also seems to be a decent amount of variety to what cards can do, already interested in trying some out. Only minor nitpick is I really hate the font choice for the dialogue, just stands out from the rest of the theme.

Sorry if this is all coming across a bit 'noob'. Just heard a lot of positive things about Hearthstone but never really looked into it much, it's cool to finally have a look inside the box.

Thanks for the tips so far, appreciated.

scarlet

patrons trade into the 2/6s favourably and you're running a bunch of aoe. Afterwards make a huge frothing and go face hoping there's no blizzard.

Get huge amounts of armor with armorsmiths to extend the game. I used a blood warriors I had to get some additional patrons and frothings.

Will try, only Warrior left.

edit: Got it! Huge thanks dude!

Zoggy

The ๖ۜBronx;247096390 said:
Beat the tutorials, all going well so far. Just a few quick questions if someone wouldn't mind helping out:

- How casually (or for how long) can you play the game without needing to look up decks? As much as I'd love to get into that side of it eventually with all the games coming out soon I won't have the time to commit to strategy outside of my own meddling.

- Are there any preferred pack types of those you can buy - not counting the beginner ones or the story one? Be good to know which are recommended.

- Rough length of time to be able to unlock all the deck types (meaning Mage, Warrior etc)? Got an Epic card from one of the free booster packs but can't use it in my Mage deck (only one I have so far).

From that initial tutorial only lost once by 1 life, rest of it managed to grasp. Like the style of it, and the animations are nice too. There also seems to be a decent amount of variety to what cards can do, already interested in trying some out. Only minor nitpick is I really hate the font choice for the dialogue, just stands out from the rest of the theme.

Sorry if this is all coming across a bit 'noob'. Just heard a lot of positive things about Hearthstone but never really looked into it much, it's cool to finally have a look inside the box.

dont buy any packs (unless with gold) for any reason.

see if you like the game and maybe if you like a particular class. i enjoyed mage and hunter a lot in the beginning. you unlock classes by beating them in the solo mode.

just keep playing and build decks with the cards you have.

if you're interested watch this video series called trumps teachings on youtube. its not that trump, its a twitch streamer.

dont think about netdecking yet. that stuff is stupid anyways.

edit: Trump Teachings - A video series by one of the game's most notable streamers. This is essentially Hearthstone 101 and is mandatory viewing for any new player looking for a crash course in Hearthstone strategy.

from the first page

greepoman

One of the big ways you can tell jade druid might be overpowered is that they can fit so many tech cards into it.

Playing at rank 1 trying to get legend and played a guy running black knight, mc tech, silence, and that choose taunt or poisonous card. Seeing all kinds of random cards in others too. Now I'm getting yogg'd every game.

Doesn't help there's a fair amount of aggro druid so can't even count on doing my mulligan correctly.

wiibomb

The ๖ۜBronx;247096390 said:

Besides what has been said above me, I suggest you some other things...

If you buy packs (gold or money) try to go with classic, that set will never rotate out from the standard, so those ones are the best investment for a new player starting. Classic is usually the least interesting set, but eventually you will realize all decks use cards from this set, and you will need that bedrock.

Try to get all classes to 10 to unlock all cards, be aware that the starting cards are not optimized for the game, and you might lose a bit more than what you win, that's normal, specially for someone starting to learn, take the time to know which are the best plays you can do against your opponent and don't focus on the fact that the opponent might have a more expensive deck.

I also suggest you to buy 1 single Whispers of the Old Gods pack, when you do, the game will gift you 1 legendary (C'thun) and 2 c'mon cards that synergizes with C'thun. Even if you don't use them, they are a good source of arcane dust.

About money, if you want to optimize gold over money, you need to play the game every day, each day you get a daily quest you can complete for gold and that is the best way to get gold through the game. Tavern brawls are a good way to complete them as well as a good way to farm some wins (3 wins = 10g, caps at 30 wins per day). Also, pro tip: always reroll 40g quests and try to complete most quests at 50g or more, to get the most gold out of daily quests. A good way to do this is to save a quest (avoiding completing it) until next day to a chance of rerolling the 40g quest again.

The game is good for pick up and play, so even if you need to play most days to get gold, it can also be done quick for the day, that way you can focus on other games while dedicating low effort when you don't want to play much HS.

If you need more help, you can add me if you are on NA (wiibomb#1871)

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I think new players should start with spending their gold on 10 packs of every standard set. Get that guaranteed legendary. Then move back to all classic.

Also everybody should buy the welcome pack.

scarlet

- Try every classes. Find few that suits your style and focus on them.

- Classic is always a priority.

- Arena is great for farming gold and dust if you've already understand how the game works.

- Watch streamers, it really helps.

- Once you have enough gold, try to buy at least 10 packs of every set, for a guaranteed Legendary.

- Find infos or just ask here on which cards actually worth it to dust.

wiibomb

I think new players should start with spending their gold on 10 packs of every standard set. Get that guaranteed legendary. Then move back to all classic.

Also everybody should buy the welcome pack.

Forgot about the guaranteed legendary in 10 packs, good suggestion.

The welcome pack is such an amazing value that even F2P players should consider them, yes that is also a very good suggestion.

I found fatigue warrior to be good against lick King. You brawl on turn 7 leaving one 2/6 and start milling cards off him.

Then you just take the board

Magnus

I ended up using 'Big Warrior' since even Patron decks weren't working out for me. Need Gastropod and Alarm-O-Bot in your first 4-5 cards, and the rest of the deck stacked with big minions. Took a few restarts but I got it and killed him by turn 6.

It's not like Karazahn was lacking secret interactions.

Hah, I had no idea most of these existed! Thanks!

Cat Party

Found some wierd glitch where the lich doesn't attack if you have a taunt and KT on the board.

I just left one trapped soul and built a big board
This is an old glitch in the game that was supposedly fixed but seems to have popped back up with the Lich King. You used to be able to beat nearly every solo boss with this trick.

Top Bottom