• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I don't know if this version of it would get played, but at least the card would have an identity.

A nerf doesn't have to be done in a way that makes the card see play. It just needs to be done in a way that makes the card not completely worthless. I think removing draw from the card entirely just makes the card crazy overcosted and changing the numbers to 4 risks a nerf where the card is still too strong.

wiibomb

I'm having a lot of fun with Jaina at least. She's very powerful, probably the most underrated card of the set. I'd say it's 5/5 now. By itself it allows you to build a deck that's only removal, it's all the end game you need, that's very powerful. The problem? Drawing her in time.

Against some match ups like priest, it will be hard to find something to ping. I hope we get some more synergistic cards. I don't like Sindragosa. I've been trying babbling books and dirty rats to get more ping targets and utility. I think there is a lot of room for improving the deck. Purple is doing great with it.

After Jaina comes down, it's basically impossible for a lot of decks to win.

I saw that a lot of people consider keeping DK jaina in mulligan, which is nuts considering it is a 9 cost card.

It is that powerful.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
A nerf doesn't have to be done in a way that makes the card see play. It just needs to be done in a way that makes the card not completely worthless. I think removing draw from the card entirely just makes the card crazy overcosted and changing the numbers to 4 risks a nerf where the card is still too strong.

Oh I wasn't trying to shoot down the idea at all. I really like it. Whether it gets played or not was never my concern, hence why I only mentioned it as a throw-away line at the end of the post. Giving more ways to differentiate the druid decks that are currently out there (as well as pulling the insane draw out of them) will go a long way toward shaking up the high level druidstone meta we're in atm.

Though I did play 10ish games yesterday and only faced a handful of druids in my climb toward rank 5 over the last several days. Maybe I just got lucky. Played a bunch of mages though. Exodia and secret all over.

I'm having a lot of fun with Jaina at least. She's very powerful, probably the most underrated card of the set. I'd say it's 5/5 now. By itself it allows you to build a deck that's only removal, it's all the end game you need, that's very powerful. The problem? Drawing her in time.
All the DKs are easy 4/5s except Thrall and Garrosh. I don't think Jaina is particularly standing out among the rest, they were intended to be busted.

Dahbomb

Garrosh DK is really strong but the deck type just doesn't exist yet. Not enough minions or mechanics that benefit off of self damage in Standard yet. You can try out Garrosh DK in Wild Tempo Patron and you will found out that the card does MASSIVE work. Hell the card is even very good in that Dead Man Giant deck.

Playing against the Thrall DK, it's also not too bad either especially for an Evolve deck.

manhack

For as "bad" as the meta is, I've managed to get enough motivation to climb to Legend. I never had that motivation in Un'goro and MSG. That says a lot right there, but I can't quite put what it is into words.

Garrosh DK is really strong but the deck type just doesn't exist yet. Not enough minions or mechanics that benefit off of self damage in Standard yet. You can try out Garrosh DK in Wild Tempo Patron and you will found out that the card does MASSIVE work. Hell the card is even very good in that Dead Man Giant deck.

Playing against the Thrall DK, it's also not too bad either especially for an Evolve deck.
I didn't mean to say they were weak, among the 9 DKs they are just the ones offering the least inevitability imo.
I used Garrosh for the Lich King he really is strong just a notch beneath the others.

Same with Thrall really, he's just a tad too board dependent.

TankUP

The thing with Garrosh is you have to build around him to get any value whatsoever. Same issue with Thrall. The rest of 'em you can just slot in whatever kind of deck you want to play.

Dahbomb

I don't know how much draw a card and it costs (5) is worth but it's probably worth like 1.5 mana at least.

Summon a 5/5 and deal 5 damage is worth 7 mana, it's essentially Firelands Portal.

Gain 5 armor is worth like 1 mana but when attached to something else it's worth more (like say Shield Maiden).

Depending on how you calculate the draw, the card is worth somewhere between 9 and 10 mana.

Issue is that when you are playing a 10 mana card you demand more than 10 mana value from it. Call of the Wild is technically 12 mana worth of stats on the board because individually those cards are actually worth 4 mana each (Animal Companion is 3 mana even though each minion is a 4 mana minion because of the random element).

I think if it drew cards then that would make it worth playing. 10 mana cycle is just not enough.

wiibomb

Deal 5 damage and draw 5 cards? tbh most of the time I run UI is because of the insane card cycle, most of the time I don't care about ghoul or the armor.

I often don't find the damage something crucial. dumping my hand on board and subsequently filling it again is how I'm playing it often.

Dahbomb

For the record... draw 5 cards would be worth 9 mana.

UI could have two of its functions removed yet retain card draw and still be a strong card.

But Blizzard has stated that they don't want Druid to have that much card draw so reading between the lines, the card draw is the part that is most likely to get nerfed. I just wonder if they can nerf the card while keeping the card's theme of the number 5.

Dahbomb

if you want to keep the 5 theme then make it.

"Draw cards until you have 5 cards in hand."

Very significant nerf but also makes it so it's just as powerful with a mre difficult setup.
That's a fair change only I think Blizzard would want to nerf it harder than that.

They are in a difficult spot here. If they nerf too much then people are going to complain with the usual "lol just deleted the card from the game!" If they don't nerf enough then people will complain "lol this does absolutely nothing... Druid still the best class!"

kirblar

That's a fair change only I think Blizzard would want to nerf it harder than that.

They are in a difficult spot here. If they nerf too much then people are going to complain with the usual "lol just deleted the card from the game!" If they don't nerf enough then people will complain "lol this does absolutely nothing... Druid still the best class!"
It's a good change, they just also would need to hit Innervate at the same time.

I have a golden Deathseeker Thrall and it's the best card in the game. It's so wonderful when I play it and my board turns into beautiful golden minions.

I mean that'd be a hefty nerf already. Most often the first UI would be a draw 3 and the 2nd UI would take ages to draw 2 subsequently. It all around makes it more akward.

traveler

Not Wario
I get that they're different games, but I still feel like there's some lessons Blizzard should have learned from MTG. Fast mana is always super dangerous and innervate is a better dark ritual exclusive to one class.

As a totally random aside, the fact that thoughtsteal is a good card is kind of an indictment to their design to me. Like, getting 2 totally random cards that may or may not align with your strategy should be a terrible card, but the fact that it yields card advantage when the game fundamentally punishes control decks that want to draw a lot by fatiguing them is enough to make it not only playable but good in most priest control decks. I don't think the card is OP at all, but more an indication that something is kind of screwed up with the library limit/fatigue systems. Hell, that's another reason Jade Druid is so strong- running out the deck should be something that only super dedicated hard control decks and mill decks can achieve, but it's super easy to do in Hearthstone. I think they need to seriously look at upping the limit- at least to 40, perhaps with a change in individual card limits from 2 > 3 to preserve consistency. This would be a pretty major change, so I can't say offhand it'd improve the game; I'd just like them to do some testing and thought experiments behind the scenes.

The only thing I dislike about nerfing UI's card draw- which is absolutely the aspect that needs hitting- is that it weakens Quest Druid more than it does Jade, and Quest obviously is in a weaker spot.

Put together a Jade Druid deck. UI is definitely strong, but against control it's kind of a dead card because drawing 5 would mill yourself with the rest of your hand sitting unplayed.

I used the greedy version with Medivh and it's inconsistent as I end up using low-cost spells to empty my hand in preparation for UI.

Also threw in Hadronox and of course it's pretty much useless as the handful of times I played it, it would just revive Behemoths and Scarabs.

Then again I rarely faced aggro (Warlocks using Mountain Giants and Twilight Drakes again) and the couple times I did, it was a comfortable win with Spreading Plague, silences, and removal.

Fewr

I have a golden Deathseeker Thrall and it's the best card in the game. It's so wonderful when I play it and my board turns into beautiful golden minions.
Hmm.. I hadn't considered that. I was thinking on crafting a golden lich king, but this sounds cool too.

Pooya

I like having larger decks while keeping 2 copy limit. That alone would increase card variety in the game. There are not that many good cards in the game really and having to play more cards forces players to play stuff beside the OP auto include ones.

I mean that'd be a hefty nerf already. Most often the first UI would be a draw 3 and the 2nd UI would take ages to draw 2 subsequently. It all around makes it more akward.

it allows you to play it with a full hand or near fatigue too. I like the change, it has some benefits too. UI is not as strong in non jade decks, they easily deck themselves and second copy of the card becomes dead.

traveler

Not Wario
Golden Elise is the best, just because you get to hear the announcer explode in ecstasy every time you open the Un'Goro pack.

"GOLDEN LEGENDARY?!?!?!??" *passes out*

Golden LK is pretty sweet. Of the DKs, Golden Thrall and Gul'Dan are probably the coolest, since you get a whole board of shiny every time you use them.

I like having larger decks while keeping 2 copy limit. That alone would increase card variety in the game. There are not that many good cards in the game really and having to play more cards forces players to play stuff beside the OP auto include ones.

While I think it's fine for your standard cards, I do like that the game has build around legendaries, and there's already issues with finding those in time for your deck to actually function given the 1 copy limit and lack of tutoring/scry mechanics. I don't think they can up the legendary limit without upping the base limit, though. (Although scry and tutoring mechanics + quest like design for build arounds might be the better answer anyway)

Dahbomb

Large decks lower deck consistency and increases inherent card RNG.

At least it would make aggro worse but I don't think that it's going to create a better game.

The consistency of reliably being able to draw your whole deck has been an enabler for many degenerate decks in hearthstone.

You really don't have to jump through hoops to get there either.

Dahbomb

The consistency of reliably being able to draw your whole deck has been an enabler for many degenerate decks in hearthstone.

You really don't have to jump through hoops to get there either.
But it used to come at a heavier cost. Either through tempo loss or life loss or both.

UI skirts around all of the issues of card draw in the game especially when combined with Jade Idol.

In any case, I would say that Auctioneer is on borrowed time as well.

kirblar

Large decks lower deck consistency and increases inherent card RNG.

At least it would make aggro worse but I don't think that it's going to create a better game.
Decks in MTG run 21->26 land normally (outside of formats with a lot of cheap "draw card" effects) - HS decks are effectively normal TCG decks without the mana/energy cards.

But it used to come at a heavier cost. Either through tempo loss or life loss or both.

UI skirts around all of the issues of card draw in the game especially when combined with Jade Idol.

In any case, I would say that Auctioneer is on borrowed time as well.

another example of this would be Exodia Mage. I don't want the deck limit changed but there's a dullness to absolute consistent decks both playing with and against.
Decks in MTG run 21->26 land normally (outside of formats with a lot of cheap "draw card" effects) - HS decks are effectively normal TCG decks without the mana/energy cards.
by that comparison you also draw 2 cards each turn because of the guaranteed land drop in HS

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I don't know how much draw a card and it costs (5) is worth but it's probably worth like 1.5 mana at least.

Summon a 5/5 and deal 5 damage is worth 7 mana, it's essentially Firelands Portal.

Gain 5 armor is worth like 1 mana but when attached to something else it's worth more (like say Shield Maiden).

Depending on how you calculate the draw, the card is worth somewhere between 9 and 10 mana.

You can think of it like Firelands Portal + Shield Block. That's 10 mana.

Issue is that when you are playing a 10 mana card you demand more than 10 mana value from it. Call of the Wild is technically 12 mana worth of stats on the board because individually those cards are actually worth 4 mana each (Animal Companion is 3 mana even though each minion is a 4 mana minion because of the random element).

I think if it drew cards then that would make it worth playing. 10 mana cycle is just not enough.

Keeping in mind for a moment that Druid has the tools to play 10 mana cards earlier than other classes. This is not a factor I will be discounting on future 9/10 mana cards for Druid.

kirblar

another example of this would be Exodia Mage. I don't want the deck limit changed but there's a dullness to absolute consistent decks both playing with and against.
HS's biggest danger as a game is the one that doomed VS System: decks being too consistent, and being unable to come back if a deck curves out on you.
by that comparison you also draw 2 cards each turn because of the guaranteed land drop in HS
There's a reason you only start with 3-4 cards.

ZeroX03

Banned
UI is getting nerfed to unplayable, I've accepted it already.

HS's biggest danger as a game is the one that doomed VS System: decks being too consistent, and being unable to come back if a deck curves out on you.

VS System had a massive skill ceiling compared to Hearthstone, plus there's a lot less RNG ever saving you. HS is never going to have the kind of search tools or versatility that game has, add in limited cards and 'too consistent' will never be a problem for the game.

VS was the GOAT

kirblar

UI is getting nerfed to unplayable, I've accepted it already.

VS System had a massive skill ceiling compared to Hearthstone, plus there's a lot less RNG ever saving you. HS is never going to have the kind of search tools or versatility that game has, add in limited cards and 'too consistent' will never be a problem for the game.

VS was the GOAT
VS's lack of RNG was one of the things that killed it! That's why they went so far overboard w/ it in constructed-level cards in HS early on.

Footos22

When you're in arena with geist in your hand and your opponent just picked discover ungoro out of his turtle card.

Never laughed so much playing this game before.

If there's one good thing about all the Druid bullshit it's that it feels that much better to beat them.

Edit: You know, I wouldn't mind big Priest as much if it took any modicum of skill to play. People always throw out the words brainless and skill-less but that deck is the very definition of it.

Pooya

EU Playoffs
Dru 77/77 100%
Prie 57/77 74%
Warr 46/77 60%
Pal 39/77 51%
Sham 38/77 50%
Mage 34/77 44%
Warl 9/77 12%
Rog 5/77 6%
Hunt 3/77 4%

I said damn, nice balance. Rogue is about as popular as hunter, rip.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I like the idea of the new Tempo Warrior but it actually feels like I have no tempo at all and I'm playing from behind constantly. If I don't start with FWA I just get run over completely

Grief.exe

I said damn, nice balance. Rogue is about as popular as hunter, rip.

EU Playoffs
Dru 77/77 100%
Prie 57/77 74%
Warr 46/77 60%
Pal 39/77 51%
Sham 38/77 50%
Mage 34/77 44%
Warl 9/77 12%
Rog 5/77 6%
Hunt 3/77 4%

This is helpful, he breaks down each class by deck hype. One of these decks might break the meta 🤔🤔🤔🤔

9cQSqzj.png

KuroNeeko

Against some match ups like priest, it will be hard to find something to ping. I hope we get some more synergistic cards. I don't like Sindragosa. I've been trying babbling books and dirty rats to get more ping targets and utility. I think there is a lot of room for improving the deck. Purple is doing great with it.

After Jaina comes down, it's basically impossible for a lot of decks to win.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. The deck still needs work, but Jaina is unbelievably powerful. She has soloed even unfavorable match-ups, winning the game single-handedly. Playing her with Geddon is ridonkulous. I wish she was at eight, rather than nine, mana though. : /

Q8D3vil

Put together a Jade Druid deck. UI is definitely strong, but against control it's kind of a dead card because drawing 5 would mill yourself with the rest of your hand sitting unplayed.

I used the greedy version with Medivh and it's inconsistent as I end up using low-cost spells to empty my hand in preparation for UI.

Also threw in Hadronox and of course it's pretty much useless as the handful of times I played it, it would just revive Behemoths and Scarabs.

Then again I rarely faced aggro (Warlocks using Mountain Giants and Twilight Drakes again) and the couple times I did, it was a comfortable win with Spreading Plague, silences, and removal.
Are we even playing the same game ?
You ramp up while emptying your hand and then use it, its the best most ridiculous play in the game right now against control because it will give u everything while they struggle to output anything that can contest your 5/5 ghoul.

Dont waste early nourish on cards draw, use it as a ramp card.
2 UI is there for consistency, not because u can actually play them both.

G.ZZZ

UI to draw a card and change its cost to 5 is definitely a flavorful change, but it'd completely kill the card.

Innervate allowing you to both play it on earlier turns AND to spit out jades + empty your hand to protect from overdraw after playing it is the real issue. Nerf innervate to oblivion and neither Lore (which was essentially a weaker UI) or FoN (which was fair since it was pretty similar to leeroy + PO and was bad only because Roar was the real busted card AND the ability to FoN+roar+innervate+roar or simply have a good board from earlier turns because of innervate) would've needed nerfs .

Dahbomb

I mean that Innervate is such a core and staple part of Druid that it is hard to think of it being touched like that. Up until this time none of the major class identity cards have been fixed. Closest we have gotten to it are Hunter's Mark, Execute and Rockbiter as they were all basic cards.

traveler

Not Wario
VS's lack of RNG was one of the things that killed it! That's why they went so far overboard w/ it in constructed-level cards in HS early on.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of consistency without effort. Decks should either be subject to some measure of RNG or should have to devote tools/space/tempo in-game to things like tutors, scrys, or other thinning/searching effects to perform consistently. HS doesn't have those things but the decks are so small it doesn't need them, and it doesn't have land to draw to give opps on the back foot the chance to breathe. You just draw gas after gas after gas. It also affords combat initiative to the person with the onboard advantage, rather than allowing a player with a strong defensive minion the chance the "hold the line" and stage a comeback. AND players can always use a hero power, even if they don't have relevant plays.

It's feels considerably harder to mount comebacks in Hearthstone than it is in Magic.

I mean that Innervate is such a core and staple part of Druid that it is hard to think of it being touched like that. Up until this time none of the major class identity cards have been fixed. Closest we have gotten to it are Hunter's Mark, Execute and Rockbiter as they were all basic cards.

It's a better dark ritual and 1 mana off being a Black Lotus. That's crazy!

I know, I know- different game so it doesn't translate the same way.

Top Bottom