• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

I mean, I think The solution with balancing is to go full on HotS mode, where they rework the base/core set completey. Every rotation Warrior keeps basically 90% of Control Warrior vs Warlock/Priest/priest who basically start back from square one. I think there needs to be some balance in that regard.
it seems blizz servers are laggy

lagging in hearthstone now heroes

watch out

Can confirm, Overwatch was lagging like crazy

ZeroX03

Banned
If we're going to nerf Druid to pieces can we at least bring Hunter back? No more awful gimmicks or really inconsistent do or die secret decks. It's been so long since Call of the Wild...

Pooya

Speaking of which, has Rogue ever been tier 1 outside the beginning of Gadgetzan? I only ever started paying attention to reports around the time that expansion came out.

It was tier 1 when game came out in 2013-2014. It was hilariously broken in beta and lots of cards got changed. Then again in 2014 they nerfed miracle like twice. First it was Leeroy then they nerfed Auctioneer. For most of 2014 though hunter was tier 1 and that deck beat rogue very well.

For a short period after GvG came out, oil rogue was considered tier 1 by pros. It didn't really last long but it was a solid tier 2 deck for entirely of 2015. It performed very well in tournaments, not so much on ladder.

Again after rotation hit with old gods, miracle rogue was tier 1 for a few weeks... yeah. Quest rogue was like tier 3. That's it. The class has had 3 real decks in 4 years.

Hunter and rogue are the most nerfed classes. Druid probably passes them after this week.

spoon!

Just blew my pity timer opening Benedictus, so now it's time to start crafting!

What's the verdict on crafting highlander priest? I need to craft Anduin, Raza, Lyra (and Elise?). Is it safe to blow my load now or wait for the druid nerfs to hit?

scarlet

Just blew my pity timer opening Benedictus, so now it's time to start crafting!

What's the verdict on crafting highlander priest? I need to craft Anduin, Raza, Lyra (and Elise?). Is it safe to blow my load now or wait for the druid nerfs to hit?

If they nerf druid and it's very likely. Highlander priest will be the new jade druid and more people will complaining about it a lot.

So to answer your question, it's safe to craft.

It's not even really Mill Rogue, but still, it's crazy that he's doing so well with it.

eL7N0lS.jpg
Thijs played this today with a coin shaved for a curator and a stonetusk boar instead of Southsea Deckhand.

wiibomb

this naga sea witch giant combo is absolutely nuts...

I wonder if they intentionally want to keep this going on wild.

I got completely run over by 4 giants on turn 5 and on

Yes, the Druid is finally in the spotlight

I remember in Vanilla he sucked
In Goblins and Gnomes he sucked
In Naxxramas he sucked

Our boy has finally made it and they're going to tear him apart from us.

You're right. If tier 1 sucks and tier 0 is finally making it, you're right.

I think if you look back on those 3 periods, druid is either tier 1 or tier 2 throughout. I mean, you're basically claiming druid sucked throughout the period it had the best combo finisher in the game.

Fun fact for rogue and priest players . If you play Janis and then your death night her effect still applies to any elemental you play.

Also what is this giant Druid deck?

LEAVE PRIEST ALONE!!!!

please let us dominate the meta for once :mad:
No one wants every goddamn game to take half an hour.

Fun fact for rogue and priest players . If you play Janis and then your death night her effect still applies to any elemental you play.

Also what is this giant Druid deck?

Naga Sea Witch changes the cost of all of your cards to 5. Blizzard, for some reason, changed the card so that it makes all giants START at 5 cost and then go down, so if you have taken 5 damage Molten Giant is free, etc. It's so stupid. I don't know why they did that.

About the sea witch thing, it sort of is consistent. Mana cost changes usually do stack, like multiple emperor ticks. Hand buffs stack. Dunno if they should revert it or not, wild is meant to be a place of broken combos.

About the sea witch thing, it sort of is consistent. Mana cost changes usually do stack, like multiple emperor ticks. Hand buffs stack. Dunno if they should revert it or not, wild is meant to be a place of broken combos.
If there was a turn 1 OTK in Wild, I don't think "this is the place for broken combos" is an excuse. Wild is a place where everyone can go to still enjoy their full card collection. Sometimes broken things might arise from it, but Blizzard should still attempt to balance it.

People have complained about "Big Priest" being too good - on turn 5 you start getting an 8//8 every turn, or something similar in power. This deck drops 4-5 8/8s on you on turn 5. That's before Lightbomb unless you have a coin. That's before Twisting Nether. That's before Vanish, and Vanish doesn't even matter because they can bring the entire board back on the next turn. It makes Jade Druid look fair and balanced, because Jade Druid can't even make a board half that crazy on turn 10. The only answer is more aggro, which I am so fucking tired of playing.

We're not talking about something that's a little too good. This is a deck that nukes most other decks on curve, and Blizzard went out of their way to create it and fuck over an entire meta. The only thing Wild players haven't figure out is which class plays it the best, because it's ALL NEUTRAL CARDS!

Got a golden sargent Sally(am trying to get a kun or wickerflame)

Decided to craft quest mage. Deck is really fun to play, reminds me of old freeze mage.

Love decks where you have to make decisions

It's a very high skillcap deck, not sure what you're laughing at about his post?

I'm laughing because decks where you have to make decisions aren't the norm in Hearthstone, and that's a sad thing. Personally, I enjoy playing aggro in some other card games, but in Hearthstone you can have an AI pilot your deck and it's the same as playing it yourself. They really need to sit down and figure out how to make all archetypes thoughtful and interesting to play.

Dahbomb

If we're going to nerf Druid to pieces can we at least bring Hunter back? No more awful gimmicks or really inconsistent do or die secret decks. It's been so long since Call of the Wild...
Hopefully never. Let that class stay at the bottom until they redesign Hunter.

I'm laughing because decks where you have to make decisions aren't the norm in Hearthstone, and that's a sad thing. Personally, I enjoy playing aggro in some other card games, but in Hearthstone you can have an AI pilot your deck and it's the same as playing it yourself. They really need to sit down and figure out how to make all archetypes thoughtful and interesting to play.

And... we're back to aggro takes no skill. :p

lol I didn't even realize this came with an adventure. It wasn't until I saw someone using Young Arthas that he has to be unlocked through it.

And... we're back to aggro takes no skill. :p
Some aggro takes skill. But being able to misplay isn't the same as requiring skill. When playing Renolock I've seen Tempo Mages play Flamewaker bare with no follow-up spells on curve. Those people being complete idiots doesn't mean that the deck takes skill. A Pirate Warrior player killing a 1/1 with an Arcanite Reaper instead of going face doesn't mean the deck requires skill. The question is whether the proper play decisions are obvious or nuanced.

I would say Face Hunter is the lowest skill cap in the game - way below Pirate Warrior when it was a deck. Zoolock is very low as well. Pirate Warrior is probably a 4/10 on the "skill scale" - there are a reasonable number of opportunities for misplays. But I want aggro that's more like an 8/10 on the scale - I want an aggro deck that makes me think about what I'm doing every turn. Songhai was great about this in Duelyst. Aggro took so much foresight and planning in that game - you took 3-4 turns to groom your hand into the perfect burst combo while maintaining yourself.

We had dude in here that can't break rank 10 with pirate warr

still kinda mind boggling to me
<3 Blizzard, though, good guy.

In fact, I would guess that Blizzard's problem is that he doesn't go face hard enough - he tries to maintain the board like it matters. Not everyone is well-suited for every archetype. Personally, it bothers me to go face instead of managing the board!

Dahbomb

Zoolock is the highest skill cap aggro deck in the game man. You trippin'.

Hunter definitely lowest. Surprised there isn't a Hunter bot yet. There probably are we just can't tell the difference anymore.

Some aggro takes skill. But being able to misplay isn't the same as requiring skill. When playing Renolock I've seen Tempo Mages play Flamewaker bare with no follow-up spells on curve. Those people being complete idiots doesn't mean that the deck takes skill. A Pirate Warrior player killing a 1/1 with an Arcanite Reaper instead of going face doesn't mean the deck requires skill. The question is whether the proper play decisions are obvious or nuanced.

I would say Face Hunter is the lowest skill cap in the game - way below Pirate Warrior when it was a deck. Zoolock is very low as well. Pirate Warrior is probably a 4/10 on the "skill scale" - there are a reasonable number of opportunities for misplays. But I want aggro that's more like an 8/10 on the scale - I want an aggro deck that makes me think about what I'm doing every turn. Songhai was great about this in Duelyst. Aggro took so much foresight and planning in that game - you took 3-4 turns to groom your hand into the perfect burst combo while maintaining yourself.

I am not talking about making obvious mistakes, I am talking about making subtle ones. Some pwars never identify when they're not the beat down or when they need to control the board more than they are instead of pushing face damage. Some pwars don't identify when their only chance is to go face. I had a pwar use heroic strike to push face damage instead of using the weapon to trade and using heroic strike next turn. I see timing of the usage of your cards being something people trip over.

Face hunter also has similar questions. Primarily when to stop fighting for board and when to go face is definitely something that depends on the match up and the situation you're in. Aggro is of course not the deck where you make a ton of different lines of play every game, but the few you do make have big impact that is often not easily foreseeable. And I get that people like to play combo decks because you have to a larger degree more control of the outcome. Somewhat the same with control decks, although some actually argue that aggro takes about the same skill as a control deck that just makes the most defensive play each turn until their opponent runs out of resources.

wiibomb

Hunter definitely lowest.

oh zoo.. that's right... we have been so far from that deck.

that deck required some good thinking, both in what to play as well as how to position the minions and what exactly to attack

TankUP

Hopefully never. Let that class stay at the bottom until they redesign Hunter.

I tried some decks yesterday to see if I wanted to push for Gold hunter this meta... holy shit Hunter sucks so much. I don't feel like grinding face hunter in wild so I'm sitting this meta out and nostamPray that Blizzard overtunes Hunter next set.

There shouldn't be a neutral giants package that you can stick in literally any deck and beat every midrange and control deck with. Talk about oppressive.

LEAVE PRIEST ALONE!!!!

please let us dominate the meta for once :mad:

Priest has always dominated the rank 25-15 meta and that's where Priest belongs. I had a Priest play Mind Control vs me today... it's like, do you WANT to lose to every aggressive deck on ladder?

It's super broken, so you should definitely craft it. It's frustrating, though, to lose when either Raza or Shadowreaper are in your bottom 5.

Fuck MC Tech.

Always game winning for my opponent, always game losing for me.

Is this a post from 2015? LOL.

Yeah PW isn't anywhere close to Face Hunter level simple. It's not super complicated but there are things you can mess up. A lot of thst is general playing knowledge and knowing your outs, but the truly simple decks don't even take that into account.

Zoo had a high skill cap and is now either underpowered or a discard Fiesta. Sad really. Still one of my favorite decks.

I don't really like how things get labeled brainless when it becomes popular or powerful. The only way you can seemingly avoid that distinction is if the deck involves blatantly complex interactions like Patron (or Defile now, I guess). I've even seen people call old Handlock brainless, which IMO was the highest skill cap deck we've had.

Dahbomb

I would say Midrange Hunter and Secret Paladin are the easiest decks in the game to play. Face Hunter still cares to weave in hero power to maximize damage so it's more skillful, Midrange Hunter plays pure curve and just uses hero power late game to fill curve.

You know Midrange Hunter is easy when that's the deck Krupp used to reach Legend with.

Internally, everyone just hates Hunter even if you like Hunter. Whenever they think of a smorc deck, they think of Hunter even though Pirate Warrior does it better. Whenever anyone thinks of "worst meta ever" they think of Undertaker Hunter even though at that time we had Combo Druid which had really strong win rate and other forms of Undertaker decks like Zoo Undertaker. Whenever anyone think of Leper Gnome or Arcane Golem or Abusive Sergeant.. they think "man thank god these cards got nerfed, now finally Face Hunter is brought down".

Murloc Paladin is in my top 3 dumbest right now.

@Levi: Face Hunter doesn't even survive in Wild. It gets overrun by any other aggro deck because new aggro is aggro AND tempo.

I am not talking about making obvious mistakes, I am talking about making subtle ones. Some pwars never identify when they're not the beat down or when they need to control the board more than they are instead of pushing face damage. Some pwars don't identify when their only chance is to go face. I had a pwar use heroic strike to push face damage instead of using the weapon to trade and using heroic strike next turn. I see timing of the usage of your cards being something people trip over.

Face hunter also has similar questions. Primarily when to stop fighting for board and when to go face is definitely something that depends on the match up and the situation you're in. Aggro is of course not the deck where you make a ton of different lines of play every game, but the few you do make have big impact that is often not easily foreseeable. And I get that people like to play combo decks because you have to a larger degree more control of the outcome. Somewhat the same with control decks, although some actually argue that aggro takes about the same skill as a control deck that just makes the most defensive play each turn until their opponent runs out of resources.
Except in any kind of control or combo deck, you have to make the right decision for 10-20 turns to win. In an aggro deck, you often play on curve for 4-5 turns and then win the game. If someone counters your first few turns, you probably lost and should move on. Both decks can come to difficult positions, but in practice the aggro deck just vomits a hand, goes face, and hopes for the best. And you can win like that semi-consistently, which is what's bothersome. The aggro decks can have a noticeable skill cap, but it very rarely comes into play.

Hunter definitely lowest. Surprised there isn't a Hunter bot yet. There probably are we just can't tell the difference anymore.
I don't see it. The decisions you make in Zoolock are all pretty straight-forward IMO. I agree it isn't as dumb as Secret Paladin, which really used to piss me off because they could go face from turn 1 and still win.

Except in any kind of control or combo deck, you have to make the right decision for 10-20 turns to win.
mXyupD1.gif

getting to make more decisions doesn't mean all the prior decisions were right. Making wrong plays doesn't lose control the game automatically because control decks have access to huge haymakers in the lategame.

Specifically against aggro the amount of decisions it takes you to win are low because at a point where you can do lots of things, that don't involve spinning the wheels, the aggro player already lost.

wiibomb

I don't see it. The decisions you make in Zoolock are all pretty straight-forward IMO. I agree it isn't as dumb as Secret Paladin, which really used to piss me off because they could go face from turn 1 and still win.

there where guides about how to play zoo... I had to read them to properly learn how to pilot that deck.

Except in any kind of control or combo deck, you have to make the right decision for 10-20 turns to win. In an aggro deck, you often play on curve for 4-5 turns and then win the game. If someone counters your first few turns, you probably lost and should move on. Both decks can come to difficult positions, but in practice the aggro deck just vomits a hand, goes face, and hopes for the best. And you can win like that semi-consistently, which is what's bothersome. The aggro decks can have a noticeable skill cap, but it very rarely comes into play.

Longer games does not inherently mean more skilled, and same goes for more decisions. That is basically my primary point with the last post. There are tons of rather obvious decisions when you're playing a control deck.

I think I've seen this discussion play out 100 times already. Some articles on the subject:

http://www.pcgamer.com/in-defence-of-aggro-in-hearthstone/

https://tempostorm.com/articles/the-skill-myth-in-aggro-decks

I've seen many pro players comment that aggro is high skill.

Luigi87

Since I'm still relatively learning I'm just curious.
Sets are released every four months it seems, yes? So the next Standard Year isn't likely to begin until April 2018, this making it still okay to get Whispers of the Old Gods packs? (even if I have no interest in Wild)

Dahbomb

Old school Murloc Paladin was definitely very dumb, in fact Murloc decks used to be the original bot decks (Murloc Shaman and Murloc Warlock for example). New Murloc has more decisions to make even though it's still a curve deck, mostly because it has Discovers to make.

I can write an essay on this but I will keep it brief.

*Large selection of 1 drops: Zoo historically has the highest selection of 1 drops in the game. And every 1 drop does a different thing and is better in different match ups. Zoolock is one of the few decks where you would purposely mulligan AWAY specific 1 drops to get better chance of getting a different 1 drop. Like I would mulligan away Flame Imp in order to increase my chances of getting a Possessed Villager against a Warrior (especially if I am anticipating Control Warrior).

1 drops are also more skillful in general because you can use them whenever (some you don't like Abusive Sergeant) which means knowing when to play which 1 drop and when not to play the 1 drop is a big deal on why this is a hard deck to play. Most average Zoo players will vomit their 1 drops on the board then come on forums to complain that their 1 drops got board cleared because that Priest got a lucky top deck board clear.

*Zoolock still remains probably the only deck where position matters. It also has token generation or deathrattle generations. You have to position your 1 drops WELL in advance... not just to set up for Direwolfs and Defender of Argus but to anticipate their drops. For example, I have Flame Imp, Possessed Villager and Voidwalker in hand against a Rogue. I am anticipating that Rogue will play Tomb Pillager on turn 4. I would play Voidwalker far left, Flame Imp in the middle and Possessed Villager on far right. This way if he plays 2 HP minion, I can play Direwolf on Possessed Villager and still have a buffed minion on the right (while buffing Flame Imp to 4 for more face damage). If he plays Tomb Pillager, I send the buffed Flame Imp to is face.. then I get the buffed Void Walker at 2 AND the buffed Possessed Villager to face for more damage.

If this position had been messed up I would've lost out on percentages long term. This impacts Defender of Argus even more as I would want to taunt up specific minions, usually not Flame Imp, Direwolf or Void Walker but rather Possessed Villager and Argent Squire so I would position those minions together and the other minions away from these two. These position considerations have to be made starting turn 1 even when you don't have Defender of Argus because of reason #3.

3) Always have access to draw. This is the defining trait that separates Zoolock from regular aggro or curve decks. Zoolock can slow roll match ups. A Zoolock player can forego tempo for a draw to prolong threat generation. This is not a choice that other decks have and because this choice exists, it makes this deck harder to play. To tap or not to tap... that is the question. Most Zoo players will just dump their hands, go face or trade then start tapping when their hand/board is empty. When in fact you want to be tapping even earlier than that to get better plays in certain match ups. Sometimes you don't have lethal on board or from and but you can risk tapping for a chance to draw that PO for lethal. Most players will not even think of it and would instead choose to spend their mana on their hand. When you are playing not only from your hand but from your deck, that makes play making difficult. Every loss you come across you could have always thought to yourself "what if I had tapped and gotten the card I wanted earlier". Drawing against other aggro decks is also very difficult especially against Face Hunter because you might life tap too much and put yourself within burn range.

4) Zoolock more than most deck is more mindful of what the other person is playing and more specifically what minions they are playing. A Pirate Warrior or a Face Hunter is not going to care that you played a 3 HP minion vs a 4 HP minion (unless they have some devastating text), their plays are hardly altered. For a Zoolock it matters a lot because they have to anticipate the minion in advance and set up a board of 1 drops to trade up into it. Zoolock is just in general more board interactive and more fundamental based but the switch from board control to all face is more nuanced than in other decks. This is doubly true when dealing against board clears. Pirate Warrior and Face Hunter do not care their boards got wiped because they play charge minions that hit face or buff their weapons... they got the intended value already. For Zoolock board clears are much more devastating as against control decks their minions are unlikely to gain value as what's the point of an Abusive Sergeant if it can't allow your small minions to trade up into bigger ones when there are no minions being played from the other side.

Anyway don't take my word for it, just listen to World Champion Firebat on Zoolock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ju3I42jItw

TankUP

It's unlikely that a control snob will ever be convinced that an aggro deck does take skill to pilot--it's practical a religious belief.

I used to be a control snob who thought that all aggro, midrange and combo was just drawing cards and vomiting hand until you win. I'm sure if you go back far enough in my post history you'll find me parroting the doctrines of that faith "more turns = more decisions = more skill", "those decks just pick whatever card is green and play it", "combo doesn't take skill -- you draw your whole deck and then you just win, how stupid", "why can't there ever be a control meta where games are decided by skill".

I think the first step of realizing that mindset was holding me back was reading Sirlin's article "Playing to Win".

Giving myself permission to learn how to play aggro really expanded my understanding of the game. I'm still not a top tier player, but I did go from someone who struggled to hit rank 10 to someone who routinely hits rank 5+, and I've done with aggro, midrange and control (and combo, if Razakus Priest counts).

zoolock is easy to pick up but the little things to master it are very important. versus like pirate warrior, it's easy to pick up but the little things are not as in depth and it's easier to really get the full potential and unlock those last few win % points an expert would, but in zoolock the win % points to gain are more intricate. how some ppl here can't get rank 10 with PW with that i have no idea why, i'll just say probably have a substitution heavy list or are taking a sample size of a dozen or two games too hard instead of just playing it out. that shit is boring as hell but it works if you grind it.

mXyupD1.gif

getting to make more decisions doesn't mean all the prior decisions were right. Making wrong plays doesn't lose control the game automatically because control decks have access to huge haymakers in the lategame.

Specifically against aggro the amount of decisions it takes you to win are low because at a point where you can do lots of things, that don't involve spinning the wheels, the aggro player already lost.
I could have worded that sentence better - I didn't mean to insinuate that every single decision has to be right. My general point was that in aggro right now, you curve out over 5 turns while going face and win, and a LOT of matches play out like that. There isn't any decision-making involved beyond the obvious aspects of how you play the deck.

there where guides about how to play zoo... I had to read them to properly learn how to pilot that deck.
I read guides, too. I might be a bit biased on this because Zoolock was the first deck I ever tried to pilot, and so a lot of learning "the deck" was also learning "the game" for me, and I came to group them together unfairly.

Longer games does not inherently mean more skilled, and same goes for more decisions. That is basically my primary point with the last post. There are tons of rather obvious decisions when you're playing a control deck.

I think I've seen this discussion play out 100 times already. Some articles on the subject:

http://www.pcgamer.com/in-defence-of-aggro-in-hearthstone/

https://tempostorm.com/articles/the-skill-myth-in-aggro-decks

I've seen many pro players comment that aggro is high skill.
You're right, I shouldn't generalize over the entirety of Hearthstone. I was primarily thinking about the current state of Hearthstone aggro. Zoolock was difficult to pilot. I can't comment much on Mech Mage because it wasn't in vogue when I started playing.

I'm mostly thinking about the "I win" bullshit I see a lot now, and it's clouding my overall judgment:
Turn 1 Fledgling
Turn 2 Ship's Cannon + 2 Pirates
Living Mana - have a clear or die.

This kind of stuff really gets under my skin. How did my opponent outplay me? All my opponent did was start with an unbeatable opening hand. I'm fucked.

Old school Murloc Paladin was definitely very dumb, in fact Murloc decks used to be the original bot decks (Murloc Shaman and Murloc Warlock for example). New Murloc has more decisions to make even though it's still a curve deck, mostly because it has Discovers to make.

I can write an essay on this but I will keep it brief.

*Large selection of 1 drops: Zoo historically has the highest selection of 1 drops in the game. And every 1 drop does a different thing and is better in different match ups. Zoolock is one of the few decks where you would purposely mulligan AWAY specific 1 drops to get better chance of getting a different 1 drop. Like I would mulligan away Flame Imp in order to increase my chances of getting a Possessed Villager against a Warrior (especially if I am anticipating Control Warrior).

1 drops are also more skillful in general because you can use them whenever (some you don't like Abusive Sergeant) which means knowing when to play which 1 drop and when not to play the 1 drop is a big deal on why this is a hard deck to play. Most average Zoo players will vomit their 1 drops on the board then come on forums to complain that their 1 drops got board cleared because that Priest got a lucky top deck board clear.

*Zoolock still remains probably the only deck where position matters. It also has token generation or deathrattle generations. You have to position your 1 drops WELL in advance... not just to set up for Direwolfs and Defender of Argus but to anticipate their drops. For example, I have Flame Imp, Possessed Villager and Voidwalker in hand against a Rogue. I am anticipating that Rogue will play Tomb Pillager on turn 4. I would play Voidwalker far left, Flame Imp in the middle and Possessed Villager on far right. This way if he plays 2 HP minion, I can play Direwolf on Possessed Villager and still have a buffed minion on the right (while buffing Flame Imp to 4 for more face damage). If he plays Tomb Pillager, I send the buffed Flame Imp to is face.. then I get the buffed Void Walker at 2 AND the buffed Possessed Villager to face for more damage.

If this position had been messed up I would've lost out on percentages long term. This impacts Defender of Argus even more as I would want to taunt up specific minions, usually not Flame Imp, Direwolf or Void Walker but rather Possessed Villager and Argent Squire so I would position those minions together and the other minions away from these two. These position considerations have to be made starting turn 1 even when you don't have Defender of Argus because of reason #3.

3) Always have access to draw. This is the defining trait that separates Zoolock from regular aggro or curve decks. Zoolock can slow roll match ups. A Zoolock player can forego tempo for a draw to prolong threat generation. This is not a choice that other decks have and because this choice exists, it makes this deck harder to play. To tap or not to tap... that is the question. Most Zoo players will just dump their hands, go face or trade then start tapping when their hand/board is empty. When in fact you want to be tapping even earlier than that to get better plays in certain match ups. Sometimes you don't have lethal on board or from and but you can risk tapping for a chance to draw that PO for lethal. Most players will not even think of it and would instead choose to spend their mana on their hand. When you are playing not only from your hand but from your deck, that makes play making difficult. Every loss you come across you could have always thought to yourself "what if I had tapped and gotten the card I wanted earlier". Drawing against other aggro decks is also very difficult especially against Face Hunter because you might life tap too much and put yourself within burn range.

4) Zoolock more than most deck is more mindful of what the other person is playing and more specifically what minions they are playing. A Pirate Warrior or a Face Hunter is not going to care that you played a 3 HP minion vs a 4 HP minion (unless they have some devastating text), their plays are hardly altered. For a Zoolock it matters a lot because they have to anticipate the minion in advance and set up a board of 1 drops to trade up into it. Zoolock is just in general more board interactive and more fundamental based but the switch from board control to all face is more nuanced than in other decks. This is doubly true when dealing against board clears. Pirate Warrior and Face Hunter do not care their boards got wiped because they play charge minions that hit face or buff their weapons... they got the intended value already. For Zoolock board clears are much more devastating as against control decks their minions are unlikely to gain value as what's the point of an Abusive Sergeant if it can't allow your small minions to trade up into bigger ones when there are no minions being played from the other side.

Anyway don't take my word for it, just listen to World Champion Firebat on Zoolock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ju3I42jItw
You're right, I had forgotten about some factors because Zoo has been out of play for so long. I gladly concede the point.

It's unlikely that a control snob will ever be convinced that an aggro deck does take skill to pilot--it's practical a religious belief.

I used to be a control snob who thought that all aggro, midrange and combo was just drawing cards and vomiting hand until you win. I'm sure if you go back far enough in my post history you'll find me parroting the doctrines of that faith "more turns = more decisions = more skill", "those decks just pick whatever card is green and play it", "combo doesn't take skill -- you draw your whole deck and then you just win, how stupid", "why can't there ever be a control meta where games are decided by skill".

I think the first step of realizing that mindset was holding me back was reading Sirlin's article "Playing to Win".

Giving myself permission to learn how to play aggro really expanded my understanding of the game. I'm still not a top tier player, but I did go from someone who struggled to hit rank 10 to someone who routinely hits rank 5+, and I've done with aggro, midrange and control (and combo, if Razakus Priest counts).
Except for last month, I've hit rank 5 using aggro nearly every month for the last year. lol

Top Bottom