• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

Tunoku

screenshot2017-09-050bgrlv.png

why

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
3 mana 3/3 and 4 mana 4/4 are only slightly below average in Arena. Nothing worth getting upset about compared to some real stinkers they can throw at you.

I was gonna say, all you need for the combo to work is either that, or having a Spreading Plague so you can atleast protect yourself against a huge board like the pic you posted.
Yeah, it's an interesting combination, but I choose not to run it because it doesn't help against the decks Jade Druid REALLY struggles with. Or at least that was the case before Giant decks. I really hope they just nerf those, though...they're far above and beyond anything else in the game right now.

I suspect they're most likely just going to can Innervate, since I don't think they care about Jades as much when they're going to be in for one more expansion, and there's already a tech card against them.

Now that Druids have astonishing card draw and can easily come back from a lost board, that kind of mana manipulation lets them get too far ahead.
Eh, in that interview a designer said they don't think of Druid as a class with strong draw (wut). I think UI might get hit as well. I agree Jades probably won't get hit hard or at all.

Giants druid is way too consistent.

Change naga sea witch to a hunter card. Let them have this.
A lot of people are arguing that Hunter does this deck best. You use Stitched Tracker to make sure you get Naga Sea Witch on curve.

Dahbomb

Return of Giants Handlock though.

I think I should try it in Wild. Pretty easy to discount Mountain Giants and Molten Giants as Warlock. Only issue is that I would have to craft Molten Giants. I think I will just wait until they nerf UI to craft Molten Giants again.

Hell since you hero power so much you can even use Frost Giants.

TankUP

Holy shit standard sucks, and it's not druids.

It's losing to Priest draws.

Barnes on 4? RIP

Raza and Shadowreaper by 8? RIP.

seeing Priests twice as often as druids, and losing twice as much to Priests.

I'd play Wild but every game is turn 5 one million 8/8s.

Nerfs are gonna make the game worse.

Remember when they nerfed quest rogue and then Jade druid took over? Well, goodbye druid hello Priests.

Barnes on 4? RIP

DRUID WAS THE LAST BASTION OF DEFENSE

AND YOU'VE ABANDONED HIM IN THE TIME WHERE HE WAS NEEDED MORE THAN EVER

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
My Giant Druid only has a 61% winrate today over 30 games. Stupid pirate warrior and the mirror getting more popular. I didn't see a single wild Jade Druid today when that was all that was in ladder two days ago. I miss feeding on those.

I wonder if wrath is even that good against aggro right now. It feels like it doesn't get me anywhere. I probably need golakka crawlers.

Doesn't help that all the streamers are getting in on the naga giant action. Yesterday reynad did it and today Day9's doing it.

Druid 60% in legend lol. I mean, it's super early but you can tell what ranks up the fastest in this meta.

Big priest is okay. It's definitely not even close to where druid is atm and has bad match ups even if druid didn't exist.

TankUP

23 priest/druid, 15 everyone else.

Druid not so bad at the low ranks because they're so bad at piloting the deck. I legit saw a guy shuffle idols and t1 and t2--haven't seen that since like week one of the MSG meta.

Priest is just super frustrating at every level. I kept track--when they played their important cards on curve (either Barnes or Raza/Reaper) I lost, and when they didn't, I won. I guess I'll have to switch decks if Priest becomes the meta tyrant but fuck me if I can think of a deck that can beat that nonsense.

TankUP

Doesn't help that all the streamers are getting in on the naga giant action. Yesterday reynad did it and today Day9's doing it.

Today Reynad took credit for inventing the deck, lol. "I can't wait until a month from now when everyone says the combo was obvious."

He also said ranks don't represent skill, the majority of legend players have as much skill as a brand new player stuck at rank 18, and that the only thing important in Hearthstone is time investment.

kirblar

Today Reynad took credit for inventing the deck, lol. "I can't wait until a month from now when everyone says the combo was obvious."

He also said ranks don't represent skill, the majority of legend players have as much skill as a brand new player stuck at rank 18, and that the only thing important in Hearthstone is time investment.
He's not wrong on the time investment > skill part given that a baseline level of competency and a deck with a good enough winrate should eventually get you to legend given enough time.

TankUP

He's not wrong on the time investment > skill part given that a baseline level of competency and a deck with a good enough winrate should eventually get you to legend given enough time.

Seeing a guy like Reynad spouting that skill doesn't matter in the slightest in Hearthstone is gross. There's a reason some guys hit legend every season and some guys never see single digit ranks and it's not all down to time investment.

TankUP

He is saying the brand new player at rank 18 is as good as the rank legend player. He knows this isn't true.

Not to mention he knows he didn't pioneer the Naga / Giants interaction but he was quick to take credit for it, saying "what a coincidence" that the top post on r/competitivehs is about the deck.

Except that top post is a guy who grinded that deck to rank one legend on the wild ladder. Hard to do if Reynad invented the deck yesterday.

Two mills Rogues in a row at rank 11. -_-

Barnes on 4? RIP

Remember when they nerfed quest rogue and then Jade druid took over? Well, goodbye druid hello Priests.
Good summary.

kirblar

Seeing a guy like Reynad spouting that skill doesn't matter in the slightest in Hearthstone is gross. There's a reason some guys hit legend every season and some guys never see single digit ranks and it's not all down to time investment.
The ladder system in HS really sucks for the type of game HS is and completely over-rewards time investment relative to other factors.

Yes, he's being deliberately provocative, its Reynad. Underlying point is valid.

Not to mention he knows he didn't pioneer the Naga / Giants interaction but he was quick to take credit for it, saying "what a coincidence" that the top post on r/competitivehs is about the deck.

Except that top post is a guy who grinded that deck to rank one legend on the wild ladder. Hard to do if Reynad invented the deck yesterday.

It's likely that he played the deck off stream before playing it on stream. I obviously don't know. I heard about the deck a couple days ago.

edit:
friday

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Barnes on 4? RIP

Yeah, Priest is still the most frustating thing to fight for me. The sad part is they'll likely just ride it out since the important things rotate 'soon', but both decks are so incredibly reliant on drawing specific cards that if they get it on curve the game is damn near a blowout.

Dahbomb

Given that bots have hit Legend in the game, I would say that time investment is certainly more important than skill if we are talking about just reaching Legend rank. Of course both attributes are necessary if you want to succeed in the game.... the best player in the world can't rank up without time investment and the worst player in the world cannot progress even with infinite time.

After a certain point, skill just kinda plateaus in the game. It boils down to who plays more at that level. Someone can be the best player in the game but slacks off playing ranked and suddenly drops down hella numbers at the end of the season.

Of course it's easy to tackle the strawman, clearly troll bait arguments that Reynad loves to present.

Are you saying bots don't have skill? A "bot" beat the world champ in chess. That doesn't mean chess doesn't take skill. Why even bring up bots? lol. It's like... not even relevant. We're talking about human skill here, right?

He was rank 25 0 stars in wild when he started his stream yesterday.

He took credit for inventing the deck today.

Other regions? Specific deck list? I dunno the info here.

kirblar

Other games like MTG and Poker regularly have large open tournaments where top players consistently do well! That consistency is how people figure out who's really good!

HS does not have this. It has a grindy ladder system that primarily rewards you w/ a "Legend" rank based on a combination of time investment and a baseline skill level. It's easier for a bot to hit Legend because a bot doesn't have to worry about eating, sleeping, working etc. - it's just a bot!

Skill is crucial to reaching legend. Unless you are prepared to play the 2-3 games required to learn pirate warrior or some netdeck druid you will consistently get crushed by more experienced players.

TankUP

Other regions? Specific deck list? I dunno the info here.

As far as I know Reynad only plays on one region. He spent yesterday in Wild testing the naga/Giants interaction with every class trying to find the best class for that package.

As he started his stream today, someone in chat brought up that the top post on the compHS reddit was about the Naga/Giants interaction and he went "what a coincidence. I can't wait until a month from now when everyone says the interaction was obvious.". This was right after he perma banned someone for saying that weren't a lot of viewers for the stream and right before he said new players at rank 18 have as much skill as most any legend player.

Other games like MTG and Poker regularly have large open tournaments where top players consistently do well!

HS does not have this. It has a grindy ladder system that primarily rewards you w/ a "Legend" rank based on a combination of time investment and a baseline skill level. It's easier for a bot to hit Legend because a bot doesn't have to worry about eating, sleeping, working etc. - it's just a bot!

Not sure if you're aware but there definitely are open cups. Biggest one I am aware of is dreamhack which starts with 7 swiss events each in a different major city leading up to DH winter in december.

As for bots, it just shows if you play enough you can get legend even with sub-50 winrate. But no real player can put that in themselves. That bot though, is obviously way better than a typical rank 18 player who just started the game.

Dahbomb

Bots getting pretty advance these days man.

That DOTA 2 Shadowfiend bot beat all the DOTA players fucking free!

That said the current crop of bots in HS are like worse than rank 18 players most of the time. Until that changes, bots in HS aren't an indication of any skillful play. Like if you made a tournament of bots versus rank 18 players then the rank 18 players would win.

That's actually a pretty hilarious idea/experiment to try out. Too bad multiple accounts would get banned over it!

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

You only have to look at this topic 3 days back to see how that's not true, but I noticed people were really underrating that deck on reddit, partly because Tempostorm and everyone else was apparently playing it wrong and rated it tier 3 as "Ramp Druid" in their meta snapshot with a link to a bad version of the deck.

Now everyone is no longer underrating the deck. Posts like this might have taught everyone how good it is without reynad, but reynad barely beat out the popularity wave.

As for Giant Hunter, that was also beaten to the punch by at least Mason Steel, and probably others I don't know about, but just the number of viewers reynad gets allows him to basically "invent" any meta shaping wild deck because there's usually so few eyes on wild stuff to give players any direction.

Been trying to climb with Jade Druid all evening. Swap between Pirate Warrior and Egg Druid and make it with only 1 loss
against Pirate Warrior

Hit rank 10 - final opponent was a guy who was trying some Standard-only Zoolock...lol.

Fewr

I think right now there is an inflated Priest population because everyone is anticipating the Druid hammer. People are moving away from it and trying for something different. The meta is still trying to tech against Druids which allows Priest to flourish.
Weird. Until nerf I'll be using druid and pirate warrior. After nerf, we'll see.. mage maybe.

Lyng

The ladder system in HS really sucks for the type of game HS is and completely over-rewards time investment relative to other factors.

Yes, he's being deliberately provocative, its Reynad. Underlying point is valid.

Pretty much. I cannot stand Reynad but the underlying point is very true in Hearthstone. Invest enough time and with just a baseline of skill you will reach legend rank.
The ranking system sucks.

Crazyorloco

Barnes on 4? RIP

This is pretty much my experience. It's not even fun anymore going against priest. Just take my all my cards. Congratulations priest players.

We can basically lose in under 4 turns.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
BRB making a Giants Handlock deck and then claim that I "invented it".

Look at this genius level deck building yo!

Sad thing is it is pretty genius compared to the garbage most people put in their decks.

But yeah, there's enough players out there that someone out there did "invent" a Giant version of every class the minute the interaction was discovered. If I was as popular of a streamer as Reynad I could probably claim I invented Murloc Paladin because I happened to be playing it the day of un'goro release because I thought it would be fun and maybe good, and it was quickly apparent it was very good.

I don't know how you give credit to deck builders when everything is so iterative around mostly obvious possible archetypes. Like 2/3rds of every deck is immediately obvious from the moment you hear the name, even if you've never thought of that archetype before, like Secret C'thun Paladin.

I think deck builders do deserve more credit, but it's hard without looking like Reynad trying to take all the credit.

Dahbomb

Sad thing is it is pretty genius compared to the garbage most people put in their decks.

But yeah, there's enough players out there that someone out there did "invent" a Giant version of every class the minute the interaction was discovered. I don't know how you give credit to deck builders when everything is so iterative around mostly obvious possible archetypes. Like 2/3rds of every deck is immediately obvious from the moment you hear the name, even if you've never thought of that archetype before, like Secret C'thun Paladin.
I made this deck as a joke and I took it to Wild ladder.

I won 3 games in a row on turn 6-7.....

This interaction is hella busted. I am honestly thinking of putting Enhanco Mechano in this deck just to scumbag a Windfury Giant out for the win.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I made this deck as a joke and I took it to Wild ladder.

I won 3 games in a row on turn 6-7.....

This interaction is hella busted. I am honestly thinking of putting Enhanco Mechano in this deck just to scumbag a Windfury Giant out for the win.

lol, that might actually be a good idea. Spreading plague is annoying as hell against it, but they'll never expect your giants can get through their taunts being able to attack again.

Priest will be annoyed that their lightbomb wont full clear too. And pirate warrior has to go through giant taunt. Just have to get lucky.

Dahbomb

I should get a bot or hire a teenager to get me to legend just for the card back heheh 😎✨
There are services who do this. Of course you have to give your account to them and it's hella illegal but these services do exist (ie. you pay them and they get you to Legend).

There are services who do this. Of course you have to give your account to them and it's hella illegal but these services do exist (ie. you pay them and they get you to Legend).
it's not illegal, breaking the terms of service is just that. You're voiding a contract that will have a hard time to hold up in court, if it comes to that.

Top Bottom