• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
there is a god, playing against druid sucked so much. thank all the druid players for ruining this class for me.

Innervate and Fiery War Axe removed from the game lol.

Not sure why they felt war axe needed to be removed from the game. Like, the card is super mega bad now. If they wanted to nerf pirate, just nerf Patches or upgrade or something. Control warrior is already unplayable and now to nerf pirates control warrior will never come back.

FeelsBadMan.
Other classes happily play 3 mana 3/2 weapons without taking advantage of synergy. And warriors have strong weapon synergy anyway.

It is far from bad.

Innervate is CF coin. Again, far from bad, especially in druid.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Would not really be surprised if this was the set of changes that made me quit. Something like the Fiery War Axe change is completely shortsighted and hurts Warrior decks not running Pirate cards more than anything else. This hit squad on classic cards is not the sort of thing that helps struggling deck types, but weaken the baseline of the class when they are not running a power deck in the meta. Feel the same way about Hex. Great on pushing people even further towards token decks where they just need to Devolve the board I guess? What happens when Devolve rotates out?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Wtf with war axe nerf, holy fucking shit

why

just made it its can't hit face

what the hell

Finicky changes like that are the worst kind of balance. Things should be as intuitive and consistent as possible. Making one weapon unable to hit face is not a solution.

G.ZZZ

I concede that innervate may still see play, while being much worse than coin in rogue, which isn't stellar , but Fiery war axe is terrible.

The point of playing 3 mana 3/2 weapons is that those other classes aren't weapon classes and as such play subpar weapons. And still, those classes have 3/2 for 3 with good upsides.

Now Warrior has arguably worse weapons than pally. King's defender is worse than rallying blade or coghammer. The best weapon in the game is now Death Bite me thinks.

I was just about to craft Tarim and Finja to play Murloc Pally. Slight Warleader nerf shouldn't hurt the deck much yeah?

it does hurt considerably since the health buff served both as healing, to enable value trades, and to get murlocs out of early aoe range.

It doesn't otoh change the potential for murlocs to highroll the shit out of you.
I concede that innervate may still see play, but Fiery war axe is terrible.

The point of playing 3 mana 3/2 weapons is that those other classes aren't weapon classes and as such play subpar weapons. And still, those classes have 3/2 for 3 with good upsides.

Now Warrior has arguably worse weapons than pally. King's defender is worse than rallying blade or coghammer. The best weapon in the game is now Death Bite me thinks.

pally and rogue are weapon classes though and hunter gets them occasionally too.

fertygo

Finicky changes like that are the worst kind of balance. Things should be as intuitive and consistent as possible. Making one weapon unable to hit face is not a solution.

Than give the Axe 2 armor for swinging or just something, why the hell warrior of all class had the worst basic weapon

there is a god, playing against druid sucked so much. thank all the druid players for ruining this class for me.

I don't see any reason why Druid will see less play to be honest.

The Innervate change hurts, sure, but Spreading Plague is still too good to not play and Ultimate Infestation wasn't touched.

I concede that innervate may still see play, while being much worse than coin in rogue, which isn't stellar , but Fiery war axe is terrible.

The upside for Warrior weapon synergy is built into other cards versus the Weapon itself as in other classes. It's more versatile and not limited to specific weapons.

G.ZZZ

Also, priest was already arguably the best deck and it's untouched. Especially in wild, it's gonna be priest everywhere. ZZZ

Zoggy

It seems like you guys have tunnel vision. Only focusing on just UI and jade idol while blizzard is looking at the big picture.

If hex was changed last year during shamanstone you guys would have been ecstatic. Now you're like Wtf blizzard shaman did nothing wrong.

I don't know if these are the right nerfs but just because they don't directly address the cards you're complaining about doesn't mean they're bad.

They also have to keep in mind the next set they're releasing and the long term viability of basic cards.

I prefer slight tweaks to giant nerfhammers anyway.

G.ZZZ

The upside for Warrior weapon synergy is built into other cards versus the Weapon itself as in other classes. It's more versatile and not limited to specific weapons.

Rogue has the better weapons and weapon sinergy. Which may intended, but still. It's a huge shift in class identity.

If you think nothing changes, I just want to point out every top aggressive list was hit. token druid, murloc paladin, pirate warrior and then the top druid list jade druid. This hits 90% of the top metagame atm.

Druid dont do combo?

You run coins outside of combo decks too. Most miracle decks aren't even combo anymore. I haven't seen much combo decks for rogue since like MSG.

Cat Party

I don't see any reason why Druid will see less play to be honest.

The Innervate change hurts, sure, but Spreading Plague is still too good to not play and Ultimate Infestation wasn't touched.
Much harder to pull off ridiculously stupid UI turns without the extra mana from innervate though.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
After reading the article I am satisfied with the changes, even though I don't think I would have done them this way. I appreciate they are sticking to their guns and not moving anything to Hall of Fame mid-year, especially because a lot of these cards are equally if not MORE problematic in Wild.

The innervate change is probably the best thing they could do to maintain the soul of the card. Turning it into a coin effect is pretty weak, but the card was OP AF, so they were kinda in a bad place here.

FWA change puts it in line with Eaglehorn Bow and makes it kinda bad. The card was too good at 2 cost and everyone, everywhere knew it. This is another case of damned if you and damned if you don't. If they made it 2 attack the weapon would be even worse than it is at 3 mana. As a bonus, this change hits Pirate Warrior REALLY hard. That deck uses FWA more aggressively than any other warrior archetype so taking it down a peg without affecting the control decks is important for the health of the class.

Spreading Plague was a good choice for a change over UI. Apparently this is a controversial statement? Plague is the thing that lets druids wall out aggro so they can run and play the greediest shit possible like nourishing for crystals every time. I mean when you think about it, using Nourish for Crystals was considered one of the worst possible plays before this expansion. The things that changed were UI adding better card draw and Plague making the aggro match up a non-factor. All the card draw in the world isn't going to help druid if they can't avoid losses to stuff like Pirates and aggro Murlocs. (although maybe those decks won't be so good anymore...)

Rogue has the better weapons and weapon sinergy. Which may intended, but still. It's a huge shift in class identity.
That doesn't erase warriors synergy though. It's just disingenuous to act like War Axe has no synergy like other 3 mana 3/2s when that synergy is available to every Warrior weapon. That's all.

Dahbomb

Alright time for a less knee jerk response to these changes.

Warleader: Best change of the set IMO. The change is such that both Murloc decks and this card are still good enough to see play which should be the goal of balance changes. Most importantly, this change removes the dumb interaction of Finja suiciding himself into a big minion, then resurrecting itself to 1 HP due to Warleader being cheated out of the deck.

Spreading Plague: Another solid change, 1 mana can be the difference between win and loss against aggro. This card should still be played in Druid decks as even now it's a good enough card to play.

Hex: This change doesn't really impact things much. It will still see about the same amount of play as before in decks that need tor run Hex. It still gives you less mana to work with in the late game though which is where the nerf is significant. Honestly this should've been set to 4 mana last year when they were going ham with the Shaman changes.

Innervate: The big change that everyone was expecting and god damn is it a lazy one... I get that they want to make basic cards easier to understand but I still feel they could've just done the "replenish 2 mana crystals" change. In any case, Innervate will now not be an auto include two of in Druid decks. I think maybe Aggro Druids still run it and Token/Spell based Druids still run it but it's less likely to be usable in slower Druid decks but we'll see. We still have to deal with turn 1 Vicious Fledgling (if you are going 2nd) so there is still chance of Druid scumming out wins with this. This card is definitely not unplayable now but the change is very flat.

War Axe: Win Axe forever rest in peace. I do not like this change at all. This is clearly a bad response to fixing Pirate Warriors when everyone knows what the real problem is. So now Pirate Warriors are nerfed but this nerfs every other Warrior deck as well especially Control Warrior decks which are in a rough spot at the moment.

Meta game implications:

Pirate Warrior and Murloc Paladins nerfed but not enough to not be run commonly. PW have it worse because now they have more 3 drops than they need and less 2 drops than before.

Jade Druids and Druid decks in general nerfed but not enough to not be run commonly. I think that Midrange Token Druid deck is hit hardest though, same for most Combo/Malygos type Druid decks.

Priest remains untouched, probably tier 1 now.

These changes are not that bad but they probably should have hinted at these changes in advance to prepare the community. I expect a lot of knee jerk reactions over this and especially over cards that didn't get changed like UI.

Q8D3vil

Changing fwe to cant attack face would have been a much better nerf, at least it wont effect control warrior who live and survive by it vs aggro.

I think the FWA change is solid tbh. I think it'll still see play too. It's a bit problematic having cards like innervate and FWA be an include in almost every single deck since the game started. Also the cards were both pretty busted in terms of power level, unlike say a frostbolt or eviscerate, which actually have been cut from some decks for their respective classes.

I was on board for 3 mana FWA back in MSG, also back in warrior dominance of what I recall was OG where they nerfed execute instead. I am still on board with it.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I say its will made murloc pally a lot worse

So.. umm how this made Jade Druid weaker

As far I can tell, the main loser from these nerf is pirate warr and murloc pally

I really like Hex change too but the timing is funny

Reminds me of the Yogg patch when everyone wanted Shaman nerfed and it ended up being a buff for Shaman.

Dahbomb

They mentioned that Spreading Plague and Innervate were in top 3 best performing Druid cards.

I can already tell you what the other card is in that top 3...

TankUP

22286.png

FWA is now worse than this garbage TGT card.

Dahbomb

wild growth
No it's Jade Idol, I was making a rhetorical statement. We have the stats on it already, Jade Idol is actually well above both Innervate and Spreading Plague.

Though Jade Idol stats are a bit skewered because the card's power level gets stronger each time it is played in a game and it is played more than twice in a game sometimes. A late game Jade Idol summoning a 1 mana 7/7 is hella busted. If you make it to the late game and are able to play multiple Jade Idols then you are positioned to win anyway.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
FWA is now worse than this garbage TGT card.

To be fair, FWA is what made that card garbage in comparison. 3 mana 3/2 weapons have often found a place in hunter and paladin decks just for being 3/2 weapons.

Top Bottom