• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

Zakalwe

Banned
I dusted a bunch of wild cards to make Qiest Warrior, and I'm not disappointed. Really fun working out how to stall until you get rag's power.

I have Elemental Shaman, Quest Warrior, Elemental Paladin, and almost enough for Quest Mage. Had to dust some wild legendaries, but I almost never play that mode so it was worth it for me.

Really enjoying his expac overall.

Going through my legendaries highlights how stingy this game is. Each page of class legendaries has 1 max aside from Warlock and Mage. I have enough dust for 3 legendaries, and I am being extremely careful with what I want to do. I would need to craft 4 Priest legendaries to even try my Reno Shadowform deck. :-/

The Mad Scientist interaction makes sense once you realize the ordering of the phases and how death processing works in Hearthstone, but it does betray the intent of how secrets are supposed to work so I agree that it should be changed. Secrets are meant to be played around, so they should never trigger immediately once put into play. Same reason why secrets only trigger on the opponent's turn now.

I don't agree with you on how buffs work, however. I don't think there's any compelling reason why a minion's inherent health should take precedence over their buffed health in taking damage. I think it makes sense that buffs are placed "on top" of a minion and so the buffed damage is removed first.
The Mad Scientist ordering is counterintuitive, though. I think everyone is surprised when killing Mad Scientist with Fire Elemental procs the non-existent Mirror Entity for the first time. Also, as I iterated before, I think there should be a limit of 1 secret going off per opponent action. Polymorph going off before Mirror Entity is so annoying.

Re: buffs. I think it's odd that you have a 5/4, and then you Hellfire it - the Hellfire kills the minion giving it +3 health, so now it's just a 5/1. So...what? My big spiral of fire didn't hurt it at all? That's the logic there. You had a minion that was set on fire and took 3 damage, but then it lost its health buff so its wounds are all gone?

On that note, has WotC ever explained the "why" behind how minions heal to full HP at the end of each turn? I've never been a fan of that mechanic - games become so slow in MtG when you both get a fatty and stand off until you top deck a counter.

On that note, has WotC ever explained the "why" behind how minions heal to full HP at the end of each turn? I've never been a fan of that mechanic - games become so slow in MtG when you both get a fatty and stand off until you top deck a counter.

Probably because it's hard/annoying to track the health of every minion in a physical card game.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Probably because it's hard/annoying to track the health of every minion in a physical card game.

Yeah. Plus I would imagine that because you have to draw your mana, your big idiots have to get more value in MtG then they would need to in Hearthstone.

Grief.exe

I'm having some real success in Token Druid with Soul of the Forest.

This turn I had Enchanted Raven > Mark of the Lotus > Innervate > Soul of the Forest.

Hunter punished me with Call in the Hounds > Hyena, which would have been a devastating play if not for Soul of the Forest.

ZL2ydEz.png

Ah, true!

Best card in the set feels like a fight between primordial glyph and Crackling Razormaw.
Coming from a Wild perspective, here's my top 5:
Unite the Murlocs
Arcanologist
Lightfused Stegodon
Awaken the Makers
The Caverns Below

These cards have all been seeing a lot of play in Wild, and more importantly to me, they have enabled new archetypes to be competitively viable. Murloc Shaman, Secret Mage, Silver Hand Paladin, Reno Priest, and Quest Rogue are all serious deals now. All of these were either non-existent or of questionable status beforehand. To me, the joy of Wild is having so many deck options, so I'm glad to see these become a thing. That's how I rate cards, at least. I know Crackling Razormaw is a good card, but I haven't seen it much in Wild. Probably because it isn't very sticky compared to things like Haunted Creeper.

If I were going by raw power, Primordial Glyph would definitely be #1.

Yeah. Plus I would imagine that because you have to draw your mana, your big idiots have to get more value in MtG then they would need to in Hearthstone.
It's actually interesting that all of the auto-mana games I have played don't regen creature health while land-based mana games do. Someone needs to mix it up!

just got the 500 wins with mage that its what I was playing for lately, now thinking if the warrior quest it is worth to craft or is too soon to tell.

Going through my legendaries highlights how stingy this game is. Each page of class legendaries has 1 max aside from Warlock and Mage. I have enough dust for 3 legendaries, and I am being extremely careful with what I want to do. I would need to craft 4 Priest legendaries to even try my Reno Shadowform deck. :-/

I've always had great luck when it came to opening legendaries, but not this expansion. Or maybe it feels like that because I've opened way less packs than usual. Every other expansion I opened 80 packs or so and would get 8 legendaries. I've opened 40 packs so far and I think I've gotten 2.

Dahbomb

Most powerful cards in the expansion thus far for me:

Crackling Razormaw
Arcanologist
Primordial Glyph
Firefly
Vilespine Slayer

Tar Creeper is very strong as well.

The Warrior and Rogue quests are very strong too. Rogue Quest is far easier to activate than originally thought and pay off is good. Warrior Quest just naturally fits into a deck.

Most powerful cards in the expansion thus far for me:

Crackling Razormaw
Arcanologist
Primordial Glyph
Firefly
Vilespine Slayer

Tar Creeper is very strong as well.

The Warrior and Rogue quests are very strong too. Rogue Quest is far easier to activate than originally thought and pay off is good. Warrior Quest just naturally fits into a deck.

Shadow Visions is a fantastic card too

Dahbomb

If Razormaw is that good, Hunter should've better than this
No because Mage got two of the best class cards and they aren't doing that great. Midrange Hunter is still a very good deck, far better than what they are doing in MSG.

Mage fell despite getting great cards where as Hunter rose up.

Shadow Vision is definitely over performing for me. I saw potential in combo decks but it works really well in a control deck too. Turns out Discovering spells from your deck is worth the 2 mana investment.

I think some of the existing quests should have emphasized legitimizing new ways of playing the game.

The Hunter quest just encourages a low curve aggro playstyle - it's not introducing anything new. It would have been far more interesting if the Hunter quest was about secrets or spells, since those Hunter archetypes are both undersupported (outside of Secret Face Hunter lol).

The Warlock quest is mismatched like the Hunter quest - if you are playing Discardlock, you can't play for the long game. The deck is about high rolling into an overwhelming board early on, and you can't lose turn 1 tempo. The Hunter deck has the same problem.

Part of why the Warrior quest is so successful is that Warriors are traditionally fine with skipping turn 1 because Fiery War Axe covers the potential tempo loss. Other quests should have followed this pattern: they should emphasize deck archetypes that can afford the early tempo loss, not decks that need turn 1 drops to succeed.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Pokemon TCG makes you keep track of hp, but I think that's pretty much the only thing you need to keep track of, other than the 5 status effects that is shown turning your card right, left, or upside down, and a Poison and Burn token.

There's probably a way in MtG where you have to put 3 different dice representing a count of 3 different things even without HP.

fertygo

No because Mage got two of the best class cards and they aren't doing that great. Midrange Hunter is still a very good deck, far better than what they are doing in MSG.

Mage fell despite getting great cards where as Hunter rose up.

Plenty of pro really high of new freeze mage, I think there's chance its will backed with data soon

and the more tempo based mage deck still can be solidified

Mage probably has far higher ceiling with those two card than Hunter that not really blazing with all the hype

Dahbomb

Pro are always high on Freeze Mage, this new FM is not anything special.

The Aggro/Tempo Mage definitely can be legit but it's unlikely to be far superior to a regular old Hunter deck. Hunter is still doing reasonably well in the meta and all people did was add two cards in fom MSG Hunter decks.

I mean yeah Hunter was never going to live up to the pre release hype. People thought Hunter was going to be insane because they got flashy stuff like Stampede, Dinomancy and Queen Marsh when those cards weren't going to push Hunter, it was stuff like Jeweled McCaw, Razormaw and some of the neutral beast selection (Nesting Roc and Bittertide Hydra).

We all collectively never learn (except Zealous I guess, he stuck to his gun)... Hunters going to play the same shit as always.

Dahbomb

This new FM does not even compare to the ones with Forgotten Torches/Kobold/Emperor and even that one wasn't that great in the meta.

You will probably see FM in tournaments as always for counter picks but don't expect it to be a ladder mainstay.

TankUP

This new FM does not even compare to the ones with Forgotten Torches/Kobold/Emperor and even that one wasn't that great in the meta.

You will probably see FM in tournaments as always for counter picks but don't expect it to be a ladder mainstay.

Different meta, though.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Hah, Reynad googled the word ornery because he said it sounded like a southern drawl spelling of ordinary. That was funny.

Molten blade and the minion version should transform to a random thing on draw.

FM is fun as hell. I just played Doomsayer into Timewarp. My opponent started scrolling through his cards rapidly before I hit End turn and destroyed 6 of his minions.

Livin' the dream. Mimic Podded a shadow step turn one(After preparation), I already had a shadowstep in my hand, so 3 shadow steps. Turn two I draw my 2nd preparation, and then I shadowstep the hell out of a novice engineer and get Crystal core, turn 3 I preparation my Crystal core. Opponenet concedes.

hah, Crane's stream
"Random cards created by random cards acquired from random cards."

guess what class he's playing.

Priest, mage, or rogue (in that order of likelihood)

I literally just played a priest who got swash off some thoughtsteal. Swash got him hallucination, which got him undercity huckster, and like 6 turns later found out the huckster got him blade of cthun to remove my 4/8 auctioneer. They also ran double from amber and stole hallucination at least once or twice. And lyra which got him several random cards. Probably played more random cards than a timewarp mage.

I still won though.

About to go on a crafting spree. I have a lot of dust to spend. Have some questions first though.

Meteor
Sleep with the fishes
King Mosh
Primordial drake
Bittertide Hydra
Vilespine Slayer?

How are these? If they're good, do I need 1 or 2 copies (excluding the legendary of course)?

wiibomb

About to go on a crafting spree. I have a lot of dust to spend. Have some questions first though.

Meteor
Sleep with the fishes
King Mosh
Primordial drake
Bittertide Hydra
Vilespine Slayer?

How are these? If they're good, do I need 1 or 2 copies (excluding the legendary of course)?

I believe you could work well without these 2, specially king mosh, it isn't used... sleep with the fishes isn't that needed unless you run the specific deck made for it, but for quest warrior there are variants that doesn't need that card.

Meteor is run in some mages, not many.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Meteor
Sleep with the fishes
King Mosh
Primordial drake
Bittertide Hydra
Vilespine Slayer?

I pulled a King Mosh so if I craft the quest I will probably slot him in just to try him out but I wouldn't craft him. Most seem to use deathwing over him for the purpose.

Meteor is one of those cards you seem to be mostly happy to get off of Glyph but not actually put into your deck.

Sleep with the fishes and Pri Drake are played in a lot of taunt warriors.

Vilespine is stupid good.

Hydra is completely optional in my mind.

I believe you could work well without these 2, specially king mosh, it isn't used... sleep with the fishes isn't that needed unless you run the specific deck made for it, but for quest warrior there are variants that doesn't need that card.

Meteor is run in some mages, not many.

I pulled a King Mosh so if I craft the quest I will probably slot him in just to try him out but I wouldn't craft him. Most seem to use deathwing over him for the purpose.

Meteor is one of those cards you seem to be mostly happy to get off of Glyph but not actually put into your deck.

Sleep with the fishes and Pri Drake are played in a lot of taunt warriors.

Vilespine is stupid good.

Hydra is completely optional in my mind.
Thanks gents.

I think I'll pass on meteor, but I like having all the mage cards. Hopefully I just pull it at some point

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I wish I had crafted my preps way earlier. Miracle rogue is a ton of fun. I crafted them for the crappy quest rogue deck which is just not fun to me, but man is miracle rogue full of fun interactions.

I wish I could slap the fuck out of every person at Blizzard that thought Bloodsail Cultist was okay.

Edit: And Frothing Berserker for that matter. Maybe even more so for Frothing with as broken as it is.

I think it's hilarious how you can rotate cards and add an entire new set and the best deck in the game is still the bullshit overpowered aggro deck. Guess I should just be used to this shit by now.

Top Bottom