• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2 represents the single largest visual leap and most significant technical achievement in videogame history (56K/Mobile No)

Haint

The following images are all RAW unedited screencaps featuring me flying the camera around at 50-100fps. NONE are CG videos or Live Action Stills, everything is 100% real time.

The only modifications performed in some case are in-game focus readjusted from moving camera, and in-game exposure boosted to correct the HDR > SDR conversion crushing shadow detail. I did NOT adjust lighting, color, effects, etc..., everything is vanilla gameplay/cutscenes @ default photomode.

Captured on PC High at a mix of 4K DLSS Quality and 4K DLAA. Mods Chromatic Abberation and Letterbox Removed in config.ini, Film Grain and Lens Curvature DOF effect left intact.

Screenshot-2900.png

11-Screenshot-2591.png

Screenshot-2731.png

1-Screenshot-2536.png

2-Screenshot-2545.png

3-Screenshot-2546.png

4-Screenshot-2549.png

5-Screenshot-2735.png

Screenshot-2369.png

Screenshot-2371.png

Screenshot-2377.png

Screenshot-2384.png

Screenshot-2396.png

Screenshot-2405.png

Screenshot-2410.png

Screenshot-2462.png

Screenshot-2472.png

Screenshot-2497.png

Screenshot-2521.png

Screenshot-2526.png

Screenshot-2558.png

Screenshot-2561.png

Screenshot-2572.png

Screenshot-2584.png

Screenshot-2592.png

Screenshot-2593.png

Screenshot-2595.png

Screenshot-2625.png

Screenshot-2628.png

Screenshot-2641.png

Screenshot-2643.png

Screenshot-2647.png

Screenshot-2653.png

Screenshot-2662.png

Screenshot-2678.png

Screenshot-2703.png

Screenshot-2712.png

Screenshot-2713.png

Screenshot-2717.png

Screenshot-2736.png

Screenshot-2745.png

Screenshot-2747.png

Screenshot-2750.png

Screenshot-2756.png

Last edited:

Hunnybun

To me it's almost eerily equivalent to The Order back in 2015 (?).

Crap, short, "cinematic experience" of a game, where the developers where clearly almost completely focused on appearances to the exclusion of everything else. They even both have those ridiculous "cinematic" black bars (I just refuse to play ANY game with those on principle, btw).

In many ways both remarkably good looking compared to what went before and yet somehow neither impressed me much at all. I'm just not interested in graphics if the game isn't a fucking GAME first of all. The same with Flight Sim: it's not a GAME. I'm interested in game graphics, not glorified tech demos or niche simulators.

Like, it clearly looks good, but in a way even that isn't news: we've known since the Unreal 5 reveal that the consoles are clearly technically capable of producing photorealistic recreations of some kinds of environments. Ok, cool. Now put that into a proper game and I'll be impressed then. To me this is effectively just an expansion of that first demo in the Land of Lumen or whatever.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Hard disagree.

Counterpoint: leap from the 16-bit generation to Super Mario 64.

No visual leap will ever be as great as that.

SM64 came out in the second year of the PSX/Saturn generation. We had 3D games for two years by the time it was out. It was revolutionary for its gameplay, how it used analog controls, and the 3D camera that every platformer after it copied.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
On PC, you may have an argument.

On console, it's the best looking game in existence but I don't know that I'd call it "the single largest visual leap and most significant technical achievement in videogame history". Resolution/IQ/framerate holds it back a bit on consoles.

People saying "it's a movie" or "it's just a tech demo" either haven't played it or are dumb as shit though. I've played many, MANY games with far less traditional gameplay than what's in Hellblade II.

Last edited:
SM64 came out in the second year of the PSX/Saturn generation. We had 3D games for two years by the time it was out. It was revolutionary for its gameplay, how it used analog controls, and the 3D camera that every platformer after it copied.
It’s not like you have me on a technicality or anything the visuals particularly of early PlayStation games were crude and horrible looking and Saturn barely did 3-D at all so really the leap was 16 bit to Nintendo 64. The 32 bit consoles PS & Saturn were really like halfway there go-betweens.

Last edited:

Nydius

People saying "it's a movie" or "it's just a tech demo" either haven't played it or are dumb as shit though.

No, we're just not easily gaslit into believing a game is good. I played it. It's a tech demo. The gameplay IS a complete and total afterthought. You push the stick forward and do nothing for most of the time and combat is nearly impossible to fail.

But feel free to keep believing I'm "dumb as shit" if it makes you feel better about your opinion.

Combination of both, I reckon.

Oh look who also decided to drop in.
:rolleyes:

Genuinely don't understand how you're not perm'd from these boards since your shilling for Xbox is as bad as SenjutsuSage.

MujkicHaris

Looks kind of boring and empty. Aggressive post processing too.

I don't think we will see a major visual leap from developers using commercial mainstream engines. Innovation and advancement will come from in-house engines, like it always did in the past.

People saying "it's a movie" or "it's just a tech demo" either haven't played it or are dumb as shit though. I've played many, MANY games with far less traditional gameplay than what's in Hellblade II.
It's just a meme at this point. People did it/do it with every single Sony exclusive since the PS3 days despite it being objectively wrong.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Avatar: The Way of Water had way better graphics and that experience was dog ****.

I pray to God every night that the studios who pursue high end visuals close immediately, their employees become addicted to bath salts, and publishers around the globe wake up to the fact that anything prettier than Fortnite is a complete waste of time. Amen.

Last edited:

Synless

No fucking way is this the biggest leap over whatever game (pick any of the several games leading the pack) that was out before it.

The leap is not at all that exponential to its peers. Glad to know you like it though.

It is seriously impressive, and I can't wait for more games with better gameplay to start looking like HB2.

I thought it'd be interesting to compare it to pre-rendered tech with a massive budget from twenty years ago, so here are shots from Beowulf 2007 for your viewing pleasure:

X0qWLtG.png

C7d1SBf.png
aKgveml.png
20er5vM.png

Denton

It is ridiculously impressive and ridiculously unimpressive at the same time. Visuals yes. But the total linearity, unengaging story and non-existent gameplay makes the visuals less impressive than they would have been if there was actual great game to accompany them.

MDSLKTR

Gold Member
No fucking way is this the biggest leap over whatever game (pick any of the several games leading the pack) that was out before it.

The leap is not at all that exponential to its peers. Glad to know you like it though.
It is though, easily even. Long after after it releases on PS5 it will still be the in the upper tier of graphics this gen.

Synless

It is though, easily even. Long after after it releases on PS5 it will still be the in the upper tier of graphics this gen.
Dudes claim is the single biggest leap in graphics. No fucking way is it easily true let alone true at all. You are dead wrong friend.

The best looking ps1 game to mid-gen ps2 was a bigger leap. The looking ps2 game vs the best looking ps3 game was a a bigger leap. Ya’ll need to go back and look at these games.

Is it the best looking game on the market given its controlled and linear design? Yes, it very well could be.

Last edited:
Top Bottom