• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2 represents the single largest visual leap and most significant technical achievement in videogame history (56K/Mobile No)

Alan Wake

You mean the game that took auto-platforming to a new level. The game that had you mashing out the same combos over and over against endless waves of same-y mechs. The game that tacked on a poorly implemented shooting mechanic because reasons over addressing the janky camera.

The gameplay in Enslaved was a half-step up from the monstrosity that was Heavenly Sword but I wouldn’t consider it good. The bonus points Ninja Theory gets for graphics and world building typically hide the rest of their game’s shortcomings. I’d argue that DmC was their strongest attempt at good gameplay but they had Capcom looking over their shoulders throughout the entire development cycle.
I really enjoyed it, although some ideas (like "the cloud") were under-implemented. Was it a perfect game? No. But it was one of the best hidden gems of its generation with an interesting story, fun characters, great voice acting, really good graphics and pretty good combat too. I enjoyed the game from start to finish despite playing it for the first time last year. It still holds up very well.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I really enjoyed it, although some ideas (like "the cloud") were under-implemented. Was it a perfect game? No. But it was one of the best hidden gems of its generation with an interesting story, fun characters, great voice acting, really good graphics and pretty good combat too. I enjoyed the game from start to finish despite playing it for the first time last year. It still holds up very well.

I also enjoyed it for those reasons, and I played it on a Series S and was really impressed with the graphics on that little machine.

I’m interested to see what Ninja Theory works on next. Too bad they’re no longer working on VR stuff. Regardless, I hope they work on a much bigger and ambitious game, and a new IP would be even better.

Dr.Morris79

It's just three dozens of screenshots of some unpleasantly looking face
zp9x0Zq.gif

Yep, it is :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Del_X

OP: "Gud graphics are gud"
GAF: "BUT THE SALES AND GAMEPLAY"

Agree with OP, best looking game ever made. It does feel like an extended demoscene thing but it was still worth playing through with good headphones on PC in a few short periods. Audio engineering was very impressive.

You mentioned "Visual and technical achievement".

Fanboys : but Sales & I found it boring. So my console am Win!

If fanboys want to talk about those things, go ahead and create a separate thread to discuss that and defend your console's honour. Stop trying to derail this thread.

The graphics are absolutely stunning. Haven't had time to play it fully but watched my friend complete it. I did Complete Hellblade 1. Currently completing Rdr2.

Helllbalde 2 Felt like it was real life at times. I don't have a PS5 yet so can't compare there but for the XSX, it's another level of realism.

It's a discussion forum.
People are permitted to post differing opinions.

Alan Wake

I also enjoyed it for those reasons, and I played it on a Series S and was really impressed with the graphics on that little machine.

I’m interested to see what Ninja Theory works on next. Too bad they’re no longer working on VR stuff. Regardless, I hope they work on a much bigger and ambitious game, and a new IP would be even better.

If Hellblade II showed us anything it was that Ninja Theory could easily do a horror game if they wanted.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
If Hellblade II showed us anything it was that Ninja Theory could easily do a horror game if they wanted.
Please god no. They need to outsource the actual game to someone to make gameplay.

Otherwise it’ll just be jump scares and slow walking with close ups to the character face.

These guys can’t make a game worth a fuck now. Which is crazy because DMC was great in the gameplay department.

Last edited:

Alan Wake

Please god no. They need to outsource the actual game to someone to make gameplay.

Otherwise it’ll just be jump scares and slow walking with close ups to the character face.

These guys can’t make a game worth a fuck now. Which is crazy because DMC was great in the gameplay department.

They've shown they can make very different kinds of games. Hopefully they're completely done with Hellblade now and can move on. I don't see why they would be unable to make a horror game, an action game or an adventure game like Enslaved again. But we'll see. Maybe Microsoft have some say in it. :)

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I think an old school fixed camera Resident Evil style game from Ninja Theory would be phenomenal. You could set the camera in any angle and show off the characters. It would finally surpass the pre-rendered look of REmake, but be all real time. No idea what Project MARA is though. Probably not that.

Gran Turismo 3 A Spec disagrees
yB8CwOV.jpeg

hKjUPFZ.jpeg

In fact that whole generation of games disagrees
MGS, Silent Hill
Hell Resident Evil to Resident Evil 4 is one generation.
58GNv20.jpeg
PYoYMXP.jpeg

That's a big fucking leap

Don't get me wrong Hellblade 2 is nice looking game, but it doesn't look much better if at all then some of the best looking games this generation

And that should be the open-and-shut of it. I'll admit, there are times (specifically in outdoor non-nighttime scenes) where the game looks almost like a CGI film. But then it does things like the pause-stops for hits in combat that create cognitive dissonance with the realistic visuals (IMO), and then the fact that the game isn't leaps and bounds ahead of other great-looking games already released this gen.

Is it better than them in some areas, visually? Yes, specifically if talking on technical levels. But I'd say at the moments where Hellblade 2 is a 10/10 visually, other games like say Burning Shores at their visual peaks are like a 9/10 or 9.5/10 on a technical level. However, IMO something like Burning Shores retains its visual peaks a lot more than Hellblade 2, and that is partly because it's a larger experience.

But it's also because it can deliver that while having more systems going on BTS, so more complexity. Which to me makes that 9/10 or 9.5/10 a 10/10 considering all the other mechanisms running in parallel that need to be accounted for. Something a "game" like Hellblade II simply does not need to account for.

Top Bottom