• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2 represents the single largest visual leap and most significant technical achievement in videogame history (56K/Mobile No)

drganon

Gold Member
no-let-me-think.gif

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Bad thread. Op derailed his own thread by posting a billion screenshots. Choose a few and let them speak for themselves.
Then he undermined his own opinion by saying it’s the biggest leap ever. Immediately inviting comparisons to past gens with bigger leaps.

SimTourist

All at a cost of extremely limited interaction, not a single tiny prop in the world can be moved by the player, not even a tiny clay pot or anything. Makes the world seem fake and everything is bolted to the ground.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Metal Gear Solid 2 and Gran Turismo 3 are the largest leaps in visuals, performance and technology in the history of gaming.

Higher resolution, higher framerate and higher visual fidelity games than what was possible in the previous generation, which made for an increase in the overall quality of the gaming experience that we haven't seen again since.

Oh, and those were actual videogames, not some pretentious on-rails art game that feels like a disgrace to Ninja Theory's rich heritage in the action genre.
That first metal gear solid 2 trailer... that music... fuck.. those were good times.

Roberts

There are a few moments in this that don't really look all that much better than a few other recent games, but then there is stuff that is a big step forward. And it also a great game and has just about as much gameplay to maintain the intended pace and that sweet ass visceral atmosphere.

That's neat. How's the gameplay now?

Honestly, HBII sets another example for the core problem with the AAA side of the industry. These hyper realistic games are definitely a neat technical feat, but completely devoid of depth once you get to "play" them. Its a pointless endavor. Gameplay is either a complete afterthought at worst or half-hearted inbreed mimicry at best.

Last edited:

skit_data

It's perfectly in order to say that it's the best looking game so far this gen, but calling it the largest visual leap ever seems very hyperbolic.
I don't think it's possible to have "the largest visual leap ever" anymore simply because the leaps in the past were so much more percievable/impressive.

Edit: I think the first pictures of Doom 3 was the last time I got really "surprised" by a visual leap. Since then stuff has been impressive, but not unexpected IMO.

Last edited:

Orbital2060

Senua is a great character, but those are way too many shots of her face, when there are so many other materials and scenes to look at.

I also thought Jusant looked really nice.

Not a single screenshot of water? How can we decide if this is the best looking game when we don’t even know how good the water looks OP.

Does it react to objects, does it reflect things, does it distort light, does it make things that touch it look wet?

I’m sorry op but your screenshot privileges should be revoked.

Field

It has great graphics but for some reason I wasn’t that impressed. Maybe 3080 isn’t good enough to make it shine?

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Not a single screenshot of water? How can we decide if this is the best looking game when we don’t even know how good the water looks OP.
It's because the water in Hellblade 2 uses very rough and downright broken stock UE5 SSR solution. Especially during the cave levels.

Three

Mind-blowing graphics. We finally got something that blows the UE5 tech demo away.
Honestly the Matrix Awakens tech demo looked about the same and actually had more scope in terms of interactivity and was less linear. I'd say the very small gameplay section of the car chase was even more exciting as a game.

01_digital_human.jpg

FGOYXdtXoAUlXB2.jpg:large

Last edited:

Haint

Does it react to objects, does it reflect things, does it distort light, does it make things that touch it look wet?

I’m sorry op but your screenshot privileges should be revoked.
There were a few, a surface and underwater shot at the same location

Cave gameplay

From the cave pool submersion cutscene

It has great graphics but for some reason I wasn’t that impressed. Maybe 3080 isn’t good enough to make it shine?

The console crutch/handicap that is letterboxing and CA do the game a tremendous disservice, and the obscene micro detail fidelity and generally dark low APL tone really shine at 4K on a very large 42"/48" OLED monitor.

Last edited:

damidu

To me it's almost eerily equivalent to The Order back in 2015 (?).

Crap, short, "cinematic experience" of a game, where the developers where clearly almost completely focused on appearances to the exclusion of everything else. They even both have those ridiculous "cinematic" black bars (I just refuse to play ANY game with those on principle, btw).

In many ways both remarkably good looking compared to what went before and yet somehow neither impressed me much at all. I'm just not interested in graphics if the game isn't a fucking GAME first of all. The same with Flight Sim: it's not a GAME. I'm interested in game graphics, not glorified tech demos or niche simulators.

Like, it clearly looks good, but in a way even that isn't news: we've known since the Unreal 5 reveal that the consoles are clearly technically capable of producing photorealistic recreations of some kinds of environments. Ok, cool. Now put that into a proper game and I'll be impressed then. To me this is effectively just an expansion of that first demo in the Land of Lumen or whatever.
order runs circles around this shit on gameplay department and then some

makaveli60

This is the leap that I’ve been waiting for since the start of this gen. Unfortunately, I haven’t seen it in person yet, but hopefully it will be released for ps5 soon.

Fredrik

Honestly the Matrix Awakens tech demo looked about the same and actually had more scope in terms of interactivity and was less linear. I'd say the very small gameplay section of the car chase was even more exciting as a game.

01_digital_human.jpg

FGOYXdtXoAUlXB2.jpg:large
The car chase shooting was nothing but the rest was awesome. Should’ve been a game, I don’t get why that never happened. They even had traffic working and pedestrians walking about, car crashes, etc, advanced like in real games. Why do all that for a tech demo, one they even took down?
Anyway too bad the experience was ruined by the framerate.
The console crutch/handicap that is letterboxing and CA do the game a tremendous disservice, and the obscene micro detail fidelity really shine at 4K on large 42"/48" monitors.
Never played the console version but it looks fantastic even at 1440p on 32” on PC. And for me it’s not just the fidelity, it’s the animations too, there is so much going on and they’ve done a crazy amount of motion capture for the combat and merged it all together perfectly.
People likes to bring up The Coalition as someone who will top this but I don’t think they will transform Gears into this fluidly animated experience. On a surface level I’m sure it’ll look amazing but I think they’ll stay close to the previous games, as in keeping it snappy and precise, which means not as well-animated. The next dev that could go further is likely Naughty Dog.

Vlodril

To me it's almost eerily equivalent to The Order back in 2015 (?).

Crap, short, "cinematic experience" of a game, where the developers where clearly almost completely focused on appearances to the exclusion of everything else. They even both have those ridiculous "cinematic" black bars (I just refuse to play ANY game with those on principle, btw).

In many ways both remarkably good looking compared to what went before and yet somehow neither impressed me much at all. I'm just not interested in graphics if the game isn't a fucking GAME first of all. The same with Flight Sim: it's not a GAME. I'm interested in game graphics, not glorified tech demos or niche simulators.

Like, it clearly looks good, but in a way even that isn't news: we've known since the Unreal 5 reveal that the consoles are clearly technically capable of producing photorealistic recreations of some kinds of environments. Ok, cool. Now put that into a proper game and I'll be impressed then. To me this is effectively just an expansion of that first demo in the Land of Lumen or whatever.

I think The Order 1866 had better gameplay and story. If the game was 10-12 hours instead of 5 it would be much better received. If Hellblade 2 was 10-12 hours the reception would be even worse.

Is the jump from Senua's Sacrifice to Hellblade 2 bigger than even something like Gran Turismo 2 to 3? No. No its not.

I think The Order 1866 had better gameplay and story. If the game was 10-12 hours instead of 5 it would be much better received. If Hellblade 2 was 10-12 hours the reception would be even worse.

I get genuinely curious whether those that always make the Hellblade 2 & The Order 1886 comparison have ever played The Order. Folk on GAF make it sound like a walking sim too, but it actually has competent 3rd person cover shooter gameplay instead. Sure, they both go big on visuals and cinematic flair, but the The Order at least has some gameplay to give it substance.

Hellblade 2 has probably more in common with something like Beyond Two Souls (limited gameplay, cinematic story focus, awesome graphic swansong for PS3), minus the story choices Beyond had, than The Order 1886.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I understand you wanted to praise the game but I thought I read helldivers more than this. You want to talk about a graphical leave then look at that game I'm on the other ones and some other people have mentioned. The first I believe looked pretty good and this one looks better but is it a start job like even the game that I mentioned?

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Christopher Mcdonald Lol GIF

I forgot to put in a laughing gif. This game does nothing new and nobody will talk about it even for its technical merits by next month. Op is high af.

SoloCamo

People that keep bringing up gameplay.. it get's so old at times, this thread has nothing to do with gameplay so why come here to post? This worse than the Starifield threads at this point. That being said, while the game looks great it's certainly no where close to being the largest graphical jump in video game history, not by a long shot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom