• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

oldmario

So... the first Vita "backup" has been made, it seems.

Link removed from obvious reasons. Duh. It's an unreleased game, therefore not encrypted. It doesn't mean every game will be dumped from now on. But, hey. It's something new.

there are other backups available actually, in the 60s last time i checked but i know gaf doesn't like this talk so i won't continue any further

What's the easiest way to update the license for PS Plus games right now? Do I have to delete and redownload with the update blocker? Or is simply accessing the store with the update blocker able to update the license?

Crap, I forgot about the PSP ISO thing before updating my PSTV from 3.55. Shouldn't that be possible with HENkaku though?

Nope, X-Com won't play for me despite me using the whitelist app.

i was on about the newer whitelist files not newer releases

You're probably right but many have tried to do just that and been ignored so it's a lost cause. NIS America are awful.

i sent them an email about 12 months ago and they were "looking into it", sent them one a couple weeks ago and got this response
​Thank you for contacting us regarding this issue! We are currently forwarding this message internally for review. We will be looking into the resolution of this issue at this time and contact you with any updates as soon as they are provided. Thank you for your time and interest in our company!

could've just sent me beep boop boop beep and i would've found that a more human response lol

Chucker

So basically what I'd want to do is just disconnect my PSTV from the network after moving over what I want to move over and I should be good, right?

I mean I know we're all just speculating on prior behavior with the PSP, but I've spent a lot of digital on my PS4, soooooo.

FreedomKME

Neo Member
I'm at work right now, so I can't give specifics, but here's a quick guide.

Requirements:
7 zip (or something similar that allows you to edit the contents of a .vpk without unpacking it)
SFO Editor (I used this one https://sites.google.com/site/theleecherman/sfoeditor)

What you need to do:
1. Open the vpk with 7zip.
2. There should be a EBOOT and a folder. Navigate into the folder.
3. In this folder, there should be a icon0.png and a PARAM.sfo. There may also be a background0.png and other things. The "Showcase" version of GenesisPlusGX is good for figuring out what these are, but they're not required.
4. Drag your new icon0.png into the 7zip window and click Yes to overwrite it.
5. If you want to change the name, drag the PARAM.sfo out of the 7zip folder into whatever directory you want.
6. Open SFOEditor and load that PARAM.sfo
7. Scroll down and you'll see STITLE and TITLE. STITLE is what appears under the bubble. Title is what shows up when you long press and look at the information. You can change both, but I like to leave TITLE unchanged just so that I can see what the core name is if I need it. In my image, I changed the STITLE for FCEUmm to NES.
8. After making your changes, save it.
9. Drag the edited PARAM.sfo into the 7zip window and click Yes to overwrite.
10. Transfer your edited VPK(s) to your Vita with FTP.
11. Install as usual*

*I don't know what happens if you try to install them without uninstalling the old ones. I always long tap the bubble and tap delete on the old version first. You don't need to delete the retroarch folder or saves or anything like that. I believe that will stay intact, but it wouldn't hurt to backup your saves and configuration files first if they're important to you. Just make sure you install it in the same directory you used when you installed the old versions or it will create a new retroarch folder.
Pretty much what i was trying, but with different programs, and i was unpacking and re-packing too.

I followed your steps but it didn't work for me, i keep getting this error (even by just replacing the .png):

Code:
Failed to install the package: 0x8010113d

EDIT: Nevermind, i just needed to change the image mode for the png to indexed.

Thank you very much.

t26

I added three months of Plus to extend the time I have to beat some PS+ games on my Vita, but they still show 40 days left before they experie (which is what I had before extending the subscription). How do I "update" the counter?

So, you need:

A PS Vita on 3.55 or prior to play PSP ISOs. If it's on 3.18, you can play PSX games!

A PS Vita on 3.60 to use HENkaku.

A PS Vita on 3.61 (or whatever the current firmware is in the future) to access online services and PS+.

If you ask me, Sony knows exactly what they are doing. They are hell bent on moving some hardware.
If only they are able to port henkaku to 3.18

Canklestank

Neo Member
Pretty much what i was trying, but with different programs, and i was unpacking and re-packing too.

I followed your steps but it didn't work for me, i keep getting this error (even by just replacing the .png):

Code:
Failed to install the package: 0x8010113d

I'm pretty sure that error means your PNG isn't in the format the Vita likes. I ran into this as well. The image needs to be compressed with pngquant. I used the Photoshop plugin SuperPNG. Try using one of my icons or an icon from another vpk that works. It should install correctly. If it does, you know that's your problem.

hah, glad I had the random foresight to download a couple of games. The OpenCMA->PS3 trick still works for getting content onto the Vita, right? Does the PS3 let you transfer Vita games this way as well?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
One thing I don't get, I thought PS TV only needed the hack reinstalled when it's rebooted. But it seems to lose the hack even when I wake it up from suspend. Is that happening to everyone?

MUnited83

For you.
Is there any footage of that Adventure Time running? Is the game like complete or is it like a alpha version? Really curious to see the state of it.

Yep! One firmware to rule it all.
Woohoo, that's awesome. Thanks.

I had an OLED Vita back in the day, but got rid of it because I didn't play it. Now this new 2000...wow, does it feel really comfy. I like the matte feel of it. I got the white/black one. It's a shame that the white/line version doesn't seem to be in production anymore.

EmiPrime

i sent them an email about 12 months ago and they were "looking into it", sent them one a couple weeks ago and got this response

could've just sent me beep boop boop beep and i would've found that a more human response lol

Well, thank you for trying! The best Vita game of all time deserves better. :(

Tied with Danganronpa 2.

twisted89

Is Henkaku worth not updating? I'm waiting for emulation to mature until it becomes excellent on the Vita.

It's progressing well but i think you're going to be waiting a long time for 'excellent'. Guess you'll need to weigh out the benefits of having vita on latest version. Or just buy yourself another and keep one on current firmware, they're pretty cheap these days.

Takao

Banned
That's actually pretty cool.
I'm all for unreleased games.

Which Aventure Time game was it?

It's a development build of Secret of the Nameless Kingdom, aka the one released as an NA PSN exclusive in 2014. Stretching the definition of "unreleased" with that one.

So I have both a Vita TV and Vita 1k on 3.60 and Im not installing the updates.

If I want access to PS+ and purchased games on PSN can I just transfer them from my PS3 whenever I want????

Does this work for the Vita TV?

EGM92

The same.

Do you want homebrew on the go or in a big screen?

I like the idea of Vita on the go with homebrew and emulators but realistically out of the few thousand hours I've used the vita 1k 99% of that time has been at home. Can the PSTV on 3.36 allow playing of PSP/PSX ISOs? I really want to finish playing my Wild Arms XF

Joey Ravn

Banned
there are other backups available actually, in the 60s last time i checked but i know gaf doesn't like this talk so i won't continue any further

I mean "playable" backups, not just "dumped" backups ;)

"Backups".

Can the PSTV on 3.36 allow playing of PSP/PSX ISOs? I really want to finish playing my Wild Arms XF

Anything before and up to 3.55 can play PSP and PSX ISOs. PSX emulation is kinda iffy above 3.18, though.

Mandelbo

Question time: I've got the molecular shell app on my vita and I'm not planning on updating any time soon. My goal is going to be getting some RPG Maker 2k3 games working on the vita, since I saw someone talking about how it's possible and a video of someone playing Id on their PSTV. Soo...

- I know I've got to get an FTP server running in order to get files on my vita. The guide says to use Filezilla, but is this actually the best choice? Has anyone got any better alternatives?

- Once I've got that running, how do I get the OpenRPG file on the vita? Is it literally just drag and drop or is there something more involved?

- When I have that on the system, do I get the RPG Maker games on the system the same way?

Sorry if these questions have already been answered, but this is literally my first time doing *anything* related to homebrew. I don't want to make any stupid mistakes because I don't know what I'm doing!

Question time: I've got the molecular shell app on my vita and I'm not planning on updating any time soon. My goal is going to be getting some RPG Maker 2k3 games working on the vita, since I saw someone talking about how it's possible and a video of someone playing Id on their PSTV. Soo...

- I know I've got to get an FTP server running in order to get files on my vita. The guide says to use Filezilla, but is this actually the best choice? Has anyone got any better alternatives?

- Once I've got that running, how do I get the OpenRPG file on the vita? Is it literally just drag and drop or is there something more involved?

- When I have that on the system, do I get the RPG Maker games on the system the same way?

Sorry if these questions have already been answered, but this is literally my first time doing *anything* related to homebrew. I don't want to make any stupid mistakes because I don't know what I'm doing!

FileZilla is the client, not the server. The molecular shell app is the thing that has the FTP server in it. You simply hit select or share on your controller and it will enable the server and tell you what the IP and port is. You enter that IP and port on your client, in this case FileZilla and it will connect to your Vita. Once you've done that, you can copy files over through FileZilla.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Holy fuck, using QCMA is a fucking nightmare. Why does it need to update my firmware just to move files? What a piece of crap. And it's not detecting my USB connection, so there's that.

Edit: Made it work. I had to uninstall the official drivers and install some different ones through a program called Zadig to make it work. I'm backing up my whole Vita library. Hopefully I never have to use this shit again. Funny thing: it was working just fine yesterday...

Does anyone know where the saves for Bubble Studio are located? I much rather move all my custom icons through FTP than having to use this crap ever again...

Mandelbo

FileZilla is the client, not the server. The molecular shell app is the thing that has the FTP server in it. You simply hit select or share on your controller and it will enable the server and tell you what the IP and port is. You enter that IP and port on your client, in this case FileZilla and it will connect to your Vita. Once you've done that, you can copy files over through FileZilla.

I see - it sounds like a relatively simple process, at least.

Holy fuck, using QCMA is a fucking nightmare. Why does it need to update my firmware just to move files? What a piece of crap. And it's not detecting my USB connection, so there's that.

CMA's disastrous to begin with. The number one thing I hope for from HENKaku is that it leads to a way to completely circumvent that garbage piece of software.

Dantis

I downloaded a custom theme and installed it with the PSVita DB Theme Installer, but it just keeps saying that an error occurred (Error C2-17052-5). Has anyone else had this?

kadotsu

Banned
How does the mem card swap work on VITA. Could I use a 3.61 Vita to download games and insert the filled up memcard into a 3.60 VITA with the same account attached?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
How does the mem card swap work on VITA. Could I use a 3.61 Vita to download games and insert the filled up memcard into a 3.60 VITA with the same account attached?

You know, I've never thought about this scenario.
If the card is from the same account, the card should work. Not sure how it reacts to different firmware though. Interesting idea.

wrowa

No, both Vitas have to be on the same fw, otherwise the memory card won't work on both systems.

At least, it is like that when using a Vita and a Vita TV, but I assume this is true for two Vitas as well.

Oh wow new update today. Sorry guys for invoking Sony and bringing this upon everyone xD /s

Welp, emulators are fun and all but I need to sync my games with PSN, hope the PSN proxy thing keeps working for a while tho.

pgharavi

Banned
So I have both a Vita TV and Vita 1k on 3.60 and Im not installing the updates.

If I want access to PS+ and purchased games on PSN can I just transfer them from my PS3 whenever I want????

Does this work for the Vita TV?

Whenever I try this, the PS TV requires an update for the transfer to go through.

Dwayne

No, both Vitas have to be on the same fw, otherwise the memory card won't work on both systems.

At least, it is like that when using a Vita and a Vita TV, but I assume this is true for two Vitas as well.

Going from 3.60 on my Vita to 3.55 on my Vita TV I was having this problem (Vita TV asking to format). If you delete the id.dat from the root of the memory card via henkaku, it fixes it.

Shaneus

Just to clarify, because I'm still not quite sure how this works... playing PS+ games on older firmware, does it work for everything or just some titles?

I have a problem where on my older-FW vita (3.36) *some* titles obtained via PS+ will fire up fine (for example, Dragon's Crown, Lumines ES) but others just flat out refuse to and ask to be updated (Fez, Thomas Was Alone). Can I activate my Vita using the QCMA method of connecting it to my PC then the PS3, then it will be golden? The error I get with some of these games is NP-2242-0, FWIW.

EGM92

Mostly in terms of performance (dropping frames), screen tearing and audio glitches. That's because Sony went on and restricted how the PSX emulator could be accessed with the ePSP exploit that were available at the time. So, the lower you go with your firmware, the better. 3.18 is A-OK, IIRC..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzchLDyIg1A

Thanks for the info, damn I guess I won't be playing Megaman X4-5 on it then. Can the older FWs run stuff that Henkaku can like emulators and homebrew?

So is Snatcher playable? What emulator is the best at the moment? Is Marvel vs Capcom 2 playable as well? I haven't even been able to make Marvel vs Capcom 1 run with ether CPS2 or NEOGEO...

So I'm gonna play with this for a while and it was surprisingly easy to install. Is there a video guide for undub P4G? So far that looks to be the most difficult thing to do for me.

So is Snatcher playable? What emulator is the best at the moment? Is Marvel vs Capcom 2 playable as well? I haven't even been able to make Marvel vs Capcom 1 run with ether CPS2 or NEOGEO...

So I'm gonna play with this for a while and it was surprisingly easy to install. Is there a video guide for undub P4G? So far that looks to be the most difficult thing to do for me.

I got Snatcher working on my 3.52 vita, and it played fine, with great sound. I was using one of the Rejuvenate Sega Emulators. I haven't tried on HENKaku. Biggest issues I had was getting the correct BIOS, in the correct format, in the correct place and loading them in the Emulators setting.

Shaneus

MvC2 was released on Sega Naomi hardware, which is for all intents and purposes a Dreamcast. So chances are VERY slim, if any at all.

I got my P4G undub so the whole thing was worth the hassle.

Tell-me-how-GIF.gif

Top Bottom