• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

data

I'd say the Retroarch cores at the moment. Might take a little time to set everything up, but retroarch runs great for me so far!

I've got the snes retroarch core installed, and it uses the japanese button config, ie x to cancel and o to confirm, is there a way to inverse this? couldn't find it in the settings, might've overlooked something

Arizato

I've got the snes retroarch core installed, and it uses the japanese button config, ie x to cancel and o to confirm, is there a way to inverse this? couldn't find it in the settings, might've overlooked something

"Use a free text editor program
Find retroarch.cfg file via FTP in the retroarch folder
Open the file in the free text edit program , find the menu_OK & menu_cancel and swap the numbers
Now save and put the file back in the folder where you found it"

Chesskid1

Banned
6bY8FSc.jpg

Genkai Tokki: Seven Pirates english translation in the works.

PCSX Rearmed is officially released. They were unable to get a lot of optimizations to work, but when they do expect it to become a ton faster.

impressions:
https://www.reddit.com/r/vitahacks/comments/54j0mg/pcsx_rearmed_playstation_emulator_now_in/
http://gbatemp.net/threads/retroarc...ita-edition-nightlies-included.437034/page-57 (see page 1 for BIOS instructions)

lots of people reporting full speed in quite a bit of games.

download:
http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/playstation/vita/

muteki

Well now I am a lot more interested. Haven't messed with it since the first days but will get updated and try this out soon.

Thank you for the answer.

I haven't actually used Henkaku at all, is there any way to access the store without updating or using it? I turned off the automatic update setting long before 3.61 came out, I'm basically just trying to see how long I can stall installing it, I'm not currently super committed to using Henkaku for anything, I just don't want to remove my ability to use it unnecessarily.

I believe you can queue up the games for downloading to the Vita from the store from another device (PC / PS4) and when you boot the Vita it will download them even if you're not updated. At least that's how people were downloading games before Henkaku added 3.61 store support.

Also of course I've been waiting for Darkest Dungeon Vita for years and when it does release it's precisely timed so that it requires the 3.61 update. Goddamnit.

SURGEdude

Anyone knows if it supports more than two controllers on PSTV?

If I'm not mistaken the bluetooth radio in the Vita/TV is limited to two simultaneous connections. I'd be more annoyed about that if I wasn't still fuming over the shitty wifi that plagues the system. Best thing about that damn PSTV is those cheap bastards throwing us a bone with a wired option.

Vuze

MHP3rd Best On Vita(tm)
Couldn't you already map the right stick for camera? Or was that a statement unrelated to fl0ws GTA stuff?

Actually that makes me remember how I played P3rd on Vita with a couple of peeps at Gamescom 2012 and that I have had the console for more than 4 years now but barely used it lol

Kinda happy HENkaku came through. Made me pickup the Vita again and actually I'm a bit sad it is basically dead to Sony. Grabbed some cheap games that seem highly rated off ebay (Tearaway, P4G, Zero Escape). Zero Escape is quite cool and intriguing much to my surprise.

test_account

XP-39C²
Monster Hunter and Peace Walker already support right analog stick in the native PSP emulator on the Vita. You can just map the face buttons or d-pad to the right stick, so i'm curious to what the big deal is here. Or, i can see it if the native emulator doesnt allow for L/R-button mapping and games uses those for camera movement, and even more if the camera movement hack actually brings analog movement. That would be kinda a big deal. But if its just simple button mapping, then it can already be done in many games.

Monster Hunter and Peace Walker already support right analog stick in the native PSP emulator on the Vita. You can just map the face buttons or d-pad to the right stick, so i'm curious to what the big deal is here. Or, i can see it if the native emulator doesnt allow for L/R-button mapping and games uses those for camera movement, and even more if the camera movement hack actually brings analog movement. That would be kinda a big deal. But if its just simple button mapping, then it can already be done in many games.
The deal is pirate, free games...

Not Liberty City Stories, though. Which is why this is a big deal, since the camera can be a right pain in that game.

Out of interest, what level emulators do you think we'll be able to get up to on this eventually? I'm assuming PS1/Saturn/N64 and PSP will all be done one day, but is Dreamcast a possibility?

killatopak

Gold Member

You can do that? Nice.

Hoping for 3rd birthday support then. That one doesn't have a camera move built in even in the d buttons.

SURGEdude

Hey guys is there any preference for installing henkaku between the 1000 and the 2000? Does either perform better with the CFW and emus?

The difference besides the obvious is that I think Henkaku recently allowed you to use the 1GB of internal storage on the 2000. For some people who just want to play around with homebrew that might save them from having to buy a memory card. I'm unclear if it's still locked off if a memory card is there like it is during normal use. Not like it's much space, but if it stacked with a cheapie 4gb card that might be useable for people who don't mind storing everything on their PC and syncing it.

I'm sure somebody else has tried it and can report back.

shmoglish

I did it, bought a second vita (60€, 16gb, nfs mw retail and almost new). Now I can play Darkest Dungeon and so on on my new vita and all my retrostuff on the old system. Going to look like a nerd.

data

This doesn't work very well though, since the transitions from left to up, down, etc are not smooth since it's emulating buttons.

RalchAC

I'm certainly hoping it actually brings analog movement.

Monster Hunter and Peace Walker already support right analog stick in the native PSP emulator on the Vita. You can just map the face buttons or d-pad to the right stick, so i'm curious to what the big deal is here. Or, i can see it if the native emulator doesnt allow for L/R-button mapping and games uses tohose for camera movement, and even more if the camera movement hack actually brings analog movement. That would be kinda a big deal. But if its just simple button mapping, then it can already be done in many games.
that functionality is bunk. The liberty stories functionality is more than just remapping 2 dimensional movement.

Don't forget some games like Crisis Core: FF7 and Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep are UMD only. I'd like to play said games on my Vita / PSTV, but they are only playable on the PSP because of no digital re-release on PSN.

Those two games the other poster talked about? Yes. What about literally everything else. Or you know, why would you need to pay for the digital version of something you already own phisically?
Same for movies... if you want it in another form, just pay... or play it on your psp.

I want all my vhs vids in 4k, so I'm entitled to do so, for free? That's not how it works.

MUnited83

For you.
Same for movies... if you want it in another form, just pay... or play it on your psp.

I want all my vhs vids in 4k, so I'm entitled to do so, for free? That's not how it works.

Actually, it's literally the exact same form. You literally put the game as exactly as it was on PSP. Try again.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member

Oh my god... Are you this insufferable in threads about digital music too? After all, the format can be used for PIRACY too! And let's not forget about all those nasty USB storage devices that can be stuffed full of ILLEGAL copies of movies, books, etc. I shiver just thinking about it.

EDIT: And your comparison is just dumb anyway. If you want your VHS in 4k, you buy it again because your VHS is NOT in 4k. Someone put work to upscale and clean it. If you want your VHS in .avi format to play from a digital device instead of a VHS player, you're ABSOLUTELY free to transfer it. That's exactly what's happening with PSP isos on Vita. People aren't stealing remakes because they feel entitled by owning an older, different release, they're playing EXACTLY THE SAME GAME THEY ALREADY PAID FOR on another device.

Producer

Lol. PSP PSN games are just rom dumps. Why would anyone buy a rom dump if they can dump it themselves.

MUnited83

For you.
Oh my god... Are you this insufferable in threads about digital music too? After all, the format can be used for PIRACY too! And let's not forget about all those nasty USB storage devices that can be stuffed full of ILLEGAL copies of movies, books, etc. I shiver just thinking about it.

EDIT: And your comparison is just dumb anyway. If you want your VHS in 4k, you buy it again because your VHS is NOT in 4k. Someone put work to upscale and clean it. If you want your VHS in .avi format to play from a digital device instead of a VHS player, you're ABSOLUTELY free to transfer it. That's exactly what's happening with PSP isos on Vita. People aren't stealing remakes because they feel entitled by owning an older, different release, they're playing EXACTLY THE SAME GAME THEY ALREADY PAID FOR on another device.
Don't forget that if you want you can rip your VHS, upscale the fucker to 4K(no idea why you would though) and record it on a UHD Bluray. It is what is being done here basically.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

This comparison just doesn't make sense. It'd be like if Sony released a new Bluray player that also played DVDs, but only for movies made by Sony - only to have someone figure out later how to disable said lockout so you could play any DVD you own.

Personally I own about 100 or so UMDs and haven't wanted to repurchase those games digitally just so I can play games I already own. So I'm looking forward to this release quite a bit, because it means I can play Crisis Core on the Vita's awesome screen and without having to dig out my PSP or carry it around separately.

Calling that "piracy" is disingenuous.

Top Bottom