• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

Bittercup

I just got powerlime adapters so I tried out a direct ethernet connection to see if remote play worked, and it still prompted me to update and didn't work. Am I missing a step or is it just not going to work through henkaku?
That's weird and I don't know what's the problem there. I just tested it right now and it's still working for me. Latest Henkaku beta and PS4 firmware.
Maybe you had to set it up before, when PSN was still working or something like that. I hope someone else knows a solution.

Kind of a different question for everyone here: How are you guys spending time with your Henkaku'd Vita's?

I've been having a real blast with it. Can't put a price on the crazy value it's added for me. Been going through Crisis Core, Birth By Sleep, and (for the first time) Type 0. They look SO good on the Vita screen and play even better than I remember with the second analog stick.

PSX classics have also taken up much of my time. Many games that suffer from dated controls, feel modernized with the ability to remap buttons to the analog sticks and touch screens. Some feel like new games completely.

Really happy that we have such talent within the community. It's brought a little happiness in what has now been a pretty awful year for me.

Fasty

I used it to play and complete Chrono Trigger for the first time. Such an awesome experience!

Now I'm using it to play Wipeout 2097 while I decide to which overlooked game to play next

horkrux

I've been playing Type-0 on it, finished it recently. Also dumped a few of my games to play them with Amphetamine. And Crisis Core is also begging for another playthrough. But I'm currently playing Muramasa, which doesn't really need Henkaku :p

I'm just a litte disappointed that Birth by Sleep Final Mix won't launch with the english patch applied. I hope this is fixable and not an issue with the Vita PSP mode itself?
Otherwise I'll just play that on PSP, but playing the games on the Vita screen sure looks nice.

I've been playing Type-0 on it, finished it recently. Also dumped a few of my games to play them with Amphetamine. And Crisis Core is also begging for another playthrough. But I'm currently playing Muramasa, which doesn't really need Henkaku :p

I'm just a litte disappointed that Birth by Sleep Final Mix won't launch with the english patch applied. I hope this is fixable and not an issue with the Vita PSP mode itself?
Otherwise I'll just play that on PSP, but playing the games on the Vita screen sure looks nice.

Isn't there a special patch thing that had to be done to let BBS run as an ISO on PSP first ? I remember having to do it with my copy of the normal BBS years ago.

Woah, hold it... You can play PSP games now? What? Maybe I read about it and I forgot...

horkrux

Isn't there a special patch thing that had to be done to let BBS run as an ISO on PSP first ? I remember having to do it with my copy of the normal BBS years ago.

Naaah.. I think back then I just dumped the game and put it straight into the ISO folder. Anyway, the patched Final Mix works fine on the PSP, but not on the Vita :/ It's also listed as 'not working' on the compatibility list over on reddit (no issues with the unpatched version apparantly). I just hope it's Adrenaline's fault.

GAF, I bought Severed and Darkest Dungeon in the current PSN sale. My urge to update the firmware is strong; convince me to stay on 3.60 / HENkaku.

GAF, I bought Severed and Darkest Dungeon in the current PSN sale. My urge to update the firmware is strong; convince me to stay on 3.60 / HENkaku.

My long term solution is to just buy a second Vita, on the cheap. Playing PSP/PS1 backups is just too precious for me to lose.

Also, if I remember right, we're supposed to be getting updates to Adrenaline in the next month or so. I'd wait.

My Adrenaline hangs and crashes all the time while my Vita games crash the Vita to a black screen with asterisks. If anyone had the same issue as me, can you confirm if changing to a new memory card fixed things?

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
So, is the Vita now the definitive portable emulation device? I've really wanted something that can handle 90%+ PSP/PS1/SNES/GBA backups at full speed and glitch-free. I've heard good things about the GPD-XD, but have been waiting to see how the Vita scene continues to develop because the hardware and screen look significantly nicer.

ss_lemonade

So, is the Vita now the definitive portable emulation device? I've really wanted something that can handle 90%+ PSP/PS1/SNES/GBA backups at full speed and glitch-free. I've heard good things about the GPD-XD, but have been waiting to see how the Vita scene continues to develop because the hardware and screen look significantly nicer.
The definitive portable for me is still nvidia's Shield Portable, but the Vita does have better aesthetics and a better dpad

whitehawk

Banned
Well, not exactly free since I paid for it but I expected to have a way to use a game from my other account.

Oh well. Wouldn't even consider this if Sony implemented account switching. -_-
What you might be able to do once flow releases his file manager.

Download the game to an updated vita, backup game to PC using Sony's file manager, use flows manager to copy said game to hacked vita (or ftp?) And then rip/decrypt said game on hacked vita using vitamin and maybe that will work.

No idea if that'll work, you'd need 2 Vitas though.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
The definitive portable for me is still nvidia's Shield Portable, but the Vita does have better aesthetics and a better dpad

Yeah I've looked at that, but it's pretty bulky (which makes sense, given how powerful it is). Will the Vita handle those systems I listed reliably, though?

AlexBasch

What you might be able to do once flow releases his file manager.

Download the game to an updated vita, backup game to PC using Sony's file manager, use flows manager to copy said game to hacked vita (or ftp?) And then rip/decrypt said game on hacked vita using vitamin and maybe that will work.

No idea if that'll work, you'd need 2 Vitas though.
Hahaha, sounds like a lot of work and it's even funnier when I'm talking about that godawful Borderlands 2 port.

Still, will keep an eye on that. Think I've got that Killzone and LBP free stuff from decades ago. :p Thanks for the info.

ss_lemonade

Yeah I've looked at that, but it's pretty bulky (which makes sense, given how powerful it is). Will the Vita handle those systems I listed reliably, though?
I believe PSP should be close to as good as it gets with Adrenaline, but you lose out on emulator standard options like save states and frame throttling (really helpful with those jrpgs lol). I've only tried Genesis with retroarch a few months ago and that worked pretty well too, so I'm guessing other 16bit and below consoles should run well. Haven't tried GBA though

Henkaku can't access psn anymore? Haven't used my vita since october.. any plans for psn access again?
In order to get psn access, you'll need a sort of passcode baked in to the 3.63 firmware. If you want psn access, work on an exploit or schmoozing a Sony dev.

SURGEdude

This is worth pretty much more than anything for me. USB on PSTV and I'm one happy fuckin' camper.

Kind of a different question for everyone here: How are you guys spending time with your Henkaku'd Vita's?

I've been having a real blast with it. Can't put a price on the crazy value it's added for me. Been going through Crisis Core, Birth By Sleep, and (for the first time) Type 0. They look SO good on the Vita screen and play even better than I remember with the second analog stick.

PSX classics have also taken up much of my time. Many games that suffer from dated controls, feel modernized with the ability to remap buttons to the analog sticks and touch screens. Some feel like new games completely.

Really happy that we have such talent within the community. It's brought a little happiness in what has now been a pretty awful year for me.

Mostly playing PSP stuff. I own a 2000 but I just never could get over the shitty screen and missing stick. Lots of really great stuff in that library, and it's kinda cool because games are cheap as hell for it.

I am having this issue all te time. It's annoying

Hmm, I've had surprisingly few issues myself. The only issues I've had were with overclocking a couple times but I think that might have just been a safety measure that shouldn't have been triggered and was.

That said I've heard from a number of people who've had issues like you guys. Wish I could get a peek at everybody's Vitas to figure out if there's a common thread. My best guess is some form of filesystem corruption or permissions issue that is minor enough to not come up in Vita mode, but PSP seems less tolerant on pretty much every front. I know personally I've had QCMA transfer more than a handful of corrupted files. Not sure why it's so common because I've made sure to respect filesystem changes going from NTFS to Vita. Local FTP on a dedicated client should be nearly perfect, so who the hell knows.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
This is worth pretty much more than anything for me. USB on PSTV and I'm one happy fuckin' camper.
Whoa, is that what it means? I just figured that was about easier ux0 browsing.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Is there an easy way to change the icon/name on the Adrenaline bubble?

Sorry to ask an obvious question, but what's the best GBA emulator on the Vita right now?

Looking to play Final Fantasy V Advance, if it helps.

Atruvius

Does anyone have Crash Team Racing working on the latest PCSX ReArmed nightlies? My copy goes to black screen right when the info screens disappear. CTR is pretty much the game I'd want to play on my Vita along with Jak 1 but that game runs too bad to be playable :/

Eighthours

Where can I find the latest versions of the decent emulators, guys? I was only messing about with this in July, so I feel way behind. For example, does Mario All-Stars work properly yet?

Does anyone have Crash Team Racing working on the latest PCSX ReArmed nightlies? My copy goes to black screen right when the info screens disappear. CTR is pretty much the game I'd want to play on my Vita along with Jak 1 but that game runs too bad to be playable :/

Have you downloaded the PSX bios? I was having the same issue, but grabbing those fixed it.

So guys

is there a better SNES emulator available for Native?

I have to two good ones (CATsfc and Snes9x 2005 plus)

Audio crackles in all of them

Yeah I really hope a few games perform better when PSX support proper is added to Adrenaline.

Word. I wanna play Tekken 3 and Bloody Roar 2.

Also, if anyone has never tried it, please give Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen a look. Game is perfect on the Vita analog. A 'mature' Zelda with brilliant voice acting.

I fell off the homebrew train but now trying to get back into it. Is the whole sleep issue/losing save data thing with HENkaku solved? I can't remember if it was a backup issue or a HENkaku issue. Is there a good guide of where we're at with HENkaku and/or Adrenaline?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think I'm boned, but can someone confirm it?

I have a PSTV. I just got a memory card, booted it up for the first time, updated to v3.60 because it's the last hackable firmware, and installed Henkaku.

The things that I want to do are:
1) Play Vita games purchased at retail or via PSN, even if they """aren't supported""" by the PSTV, including patches and trophies.
2) Play purchased PSP/PS1 classic games
3) Play ripped PS1 ISOs (i.e. PSP custom firmware?)

Am I correct that it is not possible for me to do any of those things right now because 3.60 cannot connect to PSN, I need to connect to PSN to buy or download games or patches, and the PSP custom firmware requires there already be a PSP game of some kind on the PSTV?

apd_ng

I have a PSTV. I just got a memory card, booted it up for the first time, updated to v3.60 because it's the last hackable firmware, and installed Henkaku.

1) Play Vita games purchased at retail or via PSN, even if they """aren't supported""" by the PSTV, including patches and trophies.

Am I correct that it is not possible for me to do any of those things right now because 3.60 cannot connect to PSN, I need to connect to PSN to buy or download games or patches, and the PSP custom firmware requires there already be a PSP game of some kind on the PSTV?

Yup, no access to PSN at all, unless you have a PS3 for transfers of your purchased Vita/PSP/PS1 games

PS1 support isn't out just yet for adrenaline(the PSP emulator)

AFAIK, you're able to download patches. you might be able to use the adrenaline-accessed psp store to download PSP/PS1 titles. Ripped PS1 ISOs will work with POPS soon, but until then there's a retroarch PSX emulator.

You can get vita games via a PS3 (and possibly a up to date vita, but i'm not 100% on that).

Top Bottom