• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT3| Chromiehounds

Vimes

... yet also the prize for the worst model in a while. The 1000 yard death stare and animations look clunky and rushed.

Yeah I'd be unsurprised if he got an art pass in a future patch, he really looks rushed out. I'm sure he'll look fine in-game, but based on what we've seen his menu animations will be some uncanny valley business.

Odd this is where they drop the ball, given OW's reputation for charming animation. Some Overwatch players not yet tempted by the event might come over to check out Lucio and assume HotS is a cheaply made game.

Prelude.

You're basically playing right around starting MMR. The players you're with are either (A) new or (B) as bad as new players. It's super rough. Been there before myself on one of my smurfs and it took forever to climb out.

Your best case scenario is to gut it out in Quick Match for a bit longer and nail down three to five heroes that you can play exceptionally, and at least two heroes in each role you can play at a decent clip. Preferably heroes that are strong in the meta, of course.

Once you're familiar with everything relating to those few, jump into HL (or even unranked) and just milk those 3-5 heroes in your placements and as you climb up. If you are better like you believe, you will end up significantly better in MMR in those modes than you are now in QM. Your games will be better. The people you play with will be dumb less often. So on and so forth.

The key is to make sure you are ready before you make that leap, though. Getting trapped in your QM MMR range in HL will make what's happening to you now seem like a fun day at the office once you have these people drafting and banning in your games.

EDIT: It's also worth nothing your MMR is still in the "placement" stage in QM. You're still having wild swings in your MMR growth or loss. You can still turn it around provided you do so before about 50-75 games.
I'm 85 games in. The thing is that even if I'm playing well, almost every team fight is uneven because the enemy team is grouped up and mine isn't, so it's always a 4/5v6, and in general, there's zero awareness. The worst thing is that I look up these people on hotslogs and they have like 50+ games, so it's absolutely baffling that they're still either ignoring the objective altogether, or abandoning it as soon as we win it (like an immortal or a punisher).
I'm basically only playing Nova and Valla. With Nova I'm having ok results, but I've already experienced all of her limitations, she can be gamechanging but if the team's a mess, she's completely useless. Valla is a lot more of a "carry" hero, but I am struggling with those maps that require to group up and take an objective because of the aforementioned issues. I stopped playing Johanna because at this level it's just an exercise in futility.

Just to make an example, I have 100% winrate on towers of doom and 80% on blackheart's bay, but I have 33% on sky temple and 14% on infernal shrines.

scoobs

So how is lucio? I'm just arriving back in town from a loooooong ass weekend of drinking in Phoenix. Excited to get home and try him out

Alur

Well, at that level I would say none of those three heroes you listed are gonna get you what you want. Valla would come the closest but there's a reason her winrate hovers where it does even though she's so strong.

You need heroes that can function on their own wholly. Self-sustain, wave clear, decent damage, etc. The only other real option is to just go siege and outsoak/outpush the enemy cause they are so bad at punishing people for over-extending.

So how is lucio? I'm just arriving back in town from a loooooong ass weekend of drinking in Phoenix. Excited to get home and try him out

Da fuq you doin in my city scoobs? And we don't know. PTR isn't up yet I don't think.

Prelude.

Well, at that level I would say none of those three heroes you listed are gonna get you what you want. Valla would come the closest but there's a reason her winrate hovers where it does even though she's so strong.

You need heroes that can function on their own wholly. Self-sustain, wave clear, decent damage, etc. The only other real option is to just go siege and outsoak/outpush the enemy cause they are so bad at punishing people for over-extending.
Any recommendation? The Butcher seems pretty good for that, but I don't particularly like him, for sieging, Hammer is kinda boring.
What about Thrall? He has self-sustain and earthquake seems pretty strong.

brian!

It's like insidiously hot, i was there in the summer a couple of years ago and couldnt believe it. Food was great tho

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Any recommendation? The Butcher seems pretty good for that, but I don't particularly like him, for sieging, Hammer is kinda boring.
Gul'dan. Xul as well if you build him for sustain. Thrall is okay but doesn't have enough "fuck off" buttons.

Yeah I'd be unsurprised if he got an art pass in a future patch, he really looks rushed out. I'm sure he'll look fine in-game, but based on what we've seen his menu animations will be some uncanny valley business.

Odd this is where they drop the ball, given OW's reputation for charming animation. Some Overwatch players not yet tempted by the event might come over to check out Lucio and assume HotS is a cheaply made game.
I wish they had his purple/orange gradient from OW or at least the pink/purple.

Dice

Gul'dan is good and has diverse applications, but yes it is only if you play smart because he is squishy; it's similar to playing Zagara well. Same for Xul, though he has more in-combat sustain. If you want someone beefy with in-combat sustain, Butcher does seem your best bet, or Rexxar if you mostly rely on Misha. Other than them, you'll have to do someone who uses shields instead of healing, like Tyrael, and use a much different playstyle that is more proactive and shifty. Sonya can be swag if you build her right and choose engagement with care, but also boring to use.

Alur

Butcher is a terrible choice for that bracket. Really he's bad for solo play period. Hard to go in like he does and come back out when you can't rely on your healer/even having a healer.

Thrall, Xul, Zagara, Ragnaros, Azmodan are all good choices. Azmo is a pubstomper at lower MMR because they just don't know how to deal with him. High HP, great push/wave clear, can push more than one lane at a time, etc.

All of those above have great wave clear and self sustain and all but Xul can output a good amount of damage. Just depends which you feel most comfortable with.

EDIT: Nazeebo can also be one depending on your positioning.

Prelude.

My reasoning for The Butcher was that he can punish overextenders super hard.

I'll have to look more into those characters because I don't like most of them, lul. Of all the mentioned I only like Thrall and Rag. Not sure about Sonya since she's one of the 7-8 characters I still have to try.

brian!

Sonya still feels undertuned despite the gigantic e buff

Tbh i wouldnt concentrate too hard on hero choice, like yeah there are more heroes that are suitable for carrying solo qm than valla or nova, but really just play what's fun and try to learn the game. Play stuff w/ waveclear tho and try to play active and minimize moments where you arent doing something

brian!

I was playing an ai game yesterday as artanis and there was a zj trying to guillotine in it. To make things fun i kept trying to swap the ai away from his guillotine and when this would happen he'd say something like "ah woops" in chat, it was pretty awesome.

Dice

So it's basically impossible to bodyblock Lucio if he's near a wall.

brian!

I just see all those slows and im like ughhhh
I think the fake egg talent is hilarious, man heroes is gonna be unbearable soon

Maledict

Murky is pure toxic cancer as a hero. His design is fundamentally flawed, and he should be taken out of the game and the designer who thought him up prevented from ever making another hero again.

He's literally designed to piss people off. It's a frigging stupid design area to occupy in a moba, and the only person who has fun is the murky player.

I loathe murky even more than Chromie. At least with Chromie there is counterplay.

scoobs

Murky and Abby changes are going to be the death of me. Outside of Chromie and Nova, there's nothing I hate more than facing those two.

The french revoultion in a nutshell

As for murky, I thought I was crazy seeing chromie actually getting picked in Top level hots, but to imagine a meta where murky is actually competitive is just mind blowing. And i totally agree that he is entirely based on trolling and if he ever becomes even kind of good, he will be something every team needs to not only prepare for but have specific heroes ready to counter him which is exactly why they wont buff cho'gall lolololol

kirblar

The french revoultion in a nutshell

As for murky, I thought I was crazy seeing chromie actually getting picked in Top level hots, but to imagine a meta where murky is actually competitive is just mind blowing. And i totally agree that he is entirely based on trolling and if he ever becomes even kind of good, he will be something every team needs to not only prepare for but have specific heroes ready to counter him which is exactly why they wont buff cho'gall lolololol
(They've said Cho'Gall is being looked at internally :p)

(They've said Cho'Gall is being looked at internally :p)

They might tune him but they seem to have been pretty firm on in wanting him not to have a consistent push in the meta due to the awkwardness of drafting and balance he presents

EDIT: ok PTR is up for real

Maledict

Someone on Reddit posted that if he takes the right talents murky has effectively 6700 health at level 20. Please tell me this isn't true.

Top Bottom