• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raistlin

Naked Snake said:
Are any consumer-model TVs with Deep Color in the market yet?

Not yet, but Sony is releasing some later this year (the A3000 SXRD's ... and one would assume the replacements to the XBR SXRD line if they hit before 2008).

Not sure about other manufacturers.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Onix said:
Not yet, but Sony is releasing some later this year (the A3000 SXRD's ... and one would assume the replacements to the XBR SXRD line if they hit before 2008).

Not sure about other manufacturers.

Tons of Deep Color LCDs were shown at CES 2007 and are due out this summer

Toshiba
Samsung
Sharp
JVC
Sony

Take your pick.....

Raistlin

Naked Snake said:
And what markup on prices should one expect over similar sized non-DC displays?

I'm guessing they won't be much more than their previous year's 1080p screen of the same size/features ... if not the same.

BTW - it should be pointed out that basically all the TV's with deep color also support 120Hz :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
plagiarize said:
you get that i'm NOT arguing hd-dvd vs blu-ray here though right?

i'm arguing the many benefits of blu-ray using lossless compression against uncompressed pcm.

and since you want to frame it as hd-dvd vs blu-ray show me the multiplatform release that has these differences, because as of yet, there isn't one.

if uncompressed pcm becomes standard on blu-ray, that isn't a good thing for blu-ray and it's minimising their size advantage. but whatever. ignore that i'm suggesting something that would be better for the format.

not everything is hd-dvd vs blu-ray you know?

I don't get anything about you. I was just replying to an onix post. I hadn't been paying much attention to the earlier parts of the thread recently

And I wasn't presenting it as bluray Vs HDDVD. If it came across as that then it wasn't intentional.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Onix said:
I'm guessing they won't be much more than their previous year's 1080p screen of the same size/features ... if not the same.

BTW - it should be pointed out that basically all the TV's with deep color also support 120Hz :)

I'm not convinced that deep colour will be that useful.

Sources will still be limited in colour depth. future players (perhaps even PS3 pretty soon) can and will use deep colour for processing - extra headroom is always useful to avoid clipping etc. But you'll still see improvements with rendering that finally to a current display.

I'm going to sit out a few rounds of display tech until they bring enough along to make my next set a real jump up. Get those fancy LED backlights working properly, show that deep colour can make a difference etc. Too much unknown stuff with manufacturers throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks.

Raistlin

mrklaw said:
I'm not convinced that deep colour will be that useful.

Sources will still be limited in colour depth. future players (perhaps even PS3 pretty soon) can and will use deep colour for processing - extra headroom is always useful to avoid clipping etc. But you'll still see improvements with rendering that finally to a current display.

I'm taking a guess here ... but I'm pretty confident that Sony is working on adding DeepColor to their version of AVC.

Otherwise, I can't imagine they'd be making such a stink over DeepColor in the first place. Who's going to give a shit about it if the only real content is games?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Onix said:
I'm taking a guess here ... but I'm pretty confident that Sony is working on adding DeepColor to their version of AVC.

Otherwise, I can't imagine they'd be making such a stink over DeepColor in the first place. Who's going to give a shit about it if the only real content is games?

didn't think the bluray format supported deep colour at all? Or are you thinking for their downloads and camcorder stuff?

TBH if its just that then I don't care. While I might want to get the last few drops of goodness out of professional cinematography, I think I can live with 8 bit colour for my son's birthday party :p

as for stink - well they need something to make people think they need HDMI 1.3 right? Audio is pretty much a wash at the moment, so they don't have much else left

Raistlin

mrklaw said:
didn't think the bluray format supported deep colour at all? Or are you thinking for their downloads and camcorder stuff?

That doesn't mean it can't be added.

As long as it is transparent to the current BluRay players (or better yet, they may be upgradeable by firmware - certainly the PS3 can since we know it's decoding is all SW-based) ... no harm, no foul.

Think of it like the transition to progressive DVD players.

TBH if its just that then I don't care. While I might want to get the last few drops of goodness out of professional cinematography, I think I can live with 8 bit colour for my son's birthday party :p

Me personally ... I REALLY hope it's added. It's my single biggest nit-pick regarding HD titles.

If anything, the color banding is even more noticeable on HD material ... since for the good transfers, it's the only obvious flaw.

Also, I'm pretty pissed something like Flow didn't use it. The banding is pretty ****ing obnoxious in that game.

as for stink - well they need something to make people think they need HDMI 1.3 right? Audio is pretty much a wash at the moment, so they don't have much else left

I'm not really sure they give two shits about directly pushing HDMI 1.3 other than for the fact it has DeepColor.

NR1

This weekend's Bust Buy ad reminded me of how much more the Blu-Ray players are compared to HD-DVD's. They had both Sony's $999.99 player and Samsung's $799.99 player listed, compared to Toshiba's $499.99 player. :(

I've already started my Blu-Ray collection (have 14 already), but no player to watch them. Does anyone know when the Blu-Ray camp plans to release more budgeted players? I was looking forward to CES with hopes of hearing one of the manufactures announcing plans to release a sub-$500 player, but that didn't happen...

As far as PS3 goes, it appears Sony has permanently stopped the selling of the 40GB model. I have been actively searching for one for the past month in Dallas; however, only the 60GB version is available. In fact, the Target store that I work for recently changed the label strip with both models listed to a new strip with only the 60GB listed. Several employees at other retailers have told me that they will no longer carry the 40GB.

NR1 said:
This weekend's Bust Buy ad reminded me of how much more the Blu-Ray players are compared to HD-DVD's. They had both Sony's $999.99 player and Samsung's $799.99 player listed, compared to Toshiba's $499.99 player. :(

I've already started my Blu-Ray collection (have 14 already), but no player to watch them. Does anyone know when the Blu-Ray camp plans to release more budgeted players? I was looking forward to CES with hopes of hearing one of the manufactures announcing plans to release a sub-$500 player, but that didn't happen...

As far as PS3 goes, it appears Sony has permanently stopped the selling of the 40GB model. I have been actively searching for one for the past month in Dallas; however, only the 60GB version is available. In fact, the Target store that I work for recently changed the label strip with both models listed to a new strip with only the 60GB listed. Several employees at other retailers have told me that they will no longer carry the 40GB.

Where to start....?

1) You're willing to buy a $499 Blu-Ray player, but not a $599 PS3? Despite the fact it's the best player and also happens to double as a game system and you've already paid $350 in Blu-Ray movies? (average assumed cost of $25)

2) You'll never ever find a 40GB :lol (That's because there never was a 40GB, only 60 / 20GB systems.

3) Store employees don't know ****. It's true it's impossible to find, but it hasn't been cancelled, only pushed by Sony to lose less money. With the market the way it is, I'd expect 20GB systems to begin popping back shortly.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Im going to have to agree with everything Sonycowboy here.
Especially about store employees. One best buy employee tried to tell me VF5 wasnt coming out in febuary. And then when i told him sega had already confirmed the release date he said well the last one wasnt that good.:lol

I got Babel on saturday night, what a weird movie. Totally different than what i was expecting. But it looks and sounds great, i was a little disappointed Paramount only put on a 5.1 dolby digital track.

I can confirm NR1's findings. I live in Europe and I have asked everywhere for a 40GB version PS3 and noone seems to have it in stock. It's so hard to find that when I was asking, some retailers were looking at me funny like I'm some crazy person.

NR1 said:

20 gig?

teiresias

I've only seen the 20GB available online for months. Whenever Amazon gets stock they always tend to get a few 20GB, but I'm honestly not sure they're even manufacturing them anymore, because I got my PS3 maybe 3 weeks ago from Amazon and mine still came with Talledaga Nights, so it was obviously one of the first 500k (or whatever the number was) that came with the disk. I think Sony might have just stop making them after that first run and is parcing them out slowly to keep the 60GB the only real option for alot of people.

The 60GB isn't an awful deal I suppose, but I really do dislike the trim on the 60GB version, I'm glad I could get a 20GB with the all black finish.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
fortified_concept said:
I can confirm NR1's findings. I live in Europe and I have asked everywhere for a 40GB version PS3 and noone seems to have it in stock. It's so hard to find that when I was asking, some retailers were looking at me funny like I'm some crazy person.
As far as I know, 20GB model is not available in Europe.

40GB model does not exist.

methane47

NR1 said:

http://ps3finder.com/ for Online stores

and

http://findnearby.net/index.php?q=ps3&lg=ps3&c=62054

NR1 said:

We've already gone over your post that made little to no sense, but here's more for you. You asked for a price break?

Sony Announces Cheaper Blu-Ray Player
Monday February 26, 12:37 pm ET
By Peter Svensson, AP Technology Writer
Sony Announces Cheaper Blu-Ray Player to Launch; Latest Step in Fight for Next-Gen Discs

NEW YORK (AP) -- Sony Corp. said Monday it is bringing out a cheaper player for Blu-ray discs early this summer, a crucial step in its battle to make the high-definition format the replacement for DVDs.

The BDP-S300 will cost $599, yet will have the same capabilities as the $999 BDP-S1 Sony is currently selling, said Randy Waynick, senior vice president of the home products division of Sony Electronics.

Sony and Samsung Corp., which also makes a Blu-ray player, have been undersold by Toshiba Corp.'s players for the rival HD DVD format. Toshiba has a model on the market for $499.

However, sales of players for either format have been tepid, as consumers have stood back, waiting for the market to settle on one of the discs.

Most people buying high-definition discs are apparently doing so to play them on PlayStation 3 game consoles. There are two versions of the console, for $499 and $599, and Sony sold 1.8 million units last year.

"Eighty percent of people who buy a PS3 also buy Blu-ray movies to go with it," Waynick told reporters at a meeting here.

"The consumers have determined that that's the format they're choosing to go with," he said, citing retail data from Nielsen VideoScan that showed Blu-ray discs outselling HD DVDs by three to one this year.

The BDP-S300 is a smaller unit than the BDP-S1, and is about the same size as a DVD player. Like the current model, it will be able to output a signal in the highest high-definition format, known as 1080p. It will also be able to play CDs, which the BDP-S1 does not.

Stan Glasgow, president of Sony Electronics, told reporters at a meeting here that by Christmas, prices for Blu-ray players should be down below $500.

Sony has previously complained that DVD players became a commodity product too soon, and that it was hard to make a profit in a market dominated by $50 units. Glasgow predicted that Blu-ray players would take the same route.

"Over time, I think it will be just like DVD," he said.

antipode

sonycowboy said:
AP said:
Most people buying high-definition discs are apparently doing so to play them on PlayStation 3 game consoles. There are two versions of the console, for $499 and $599, and Sony sold 1.8 million units last year.

"Eighty percent of people who buy a PS3 also buy Blu-ray movies to go with it," Waynick told reporters at a meeting here.

I'm confused... didn't SCEA say last week that LTD Blu-Ray sales through January were 439,000?

If 80% of PS3 buyers bought a Blu-Ray movie, wouldn't that put total PS3 sales under 550,000?

Petrarca

Banned
wow! cheaper BD player is definitely a good news for BD camp. Now the mass market has NO reason NOT to jump on blu-ray. it has the content, the broader CE support and a competitive players, not that it didn't have that before with PS3

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/gear/2007-02-26-blu-ray-cheaper_x.htm?POE=TECISVA

Sony Announces Cheaper Blu-Ray Player
Monday February 26, 12:37 pm ET
By Peter Svensson, AP Technology Writer
Sony Announces Cheaper Blu-Ray Player to Launch; Latest Step in Fight for Next-Gen Discs

NEW YORK (AP) -- Sony Corp. said Monday it is bringing out a cheaper player for Blu-ray discs early this summer, a crucial step in its battle to make the high-definition format the replacement for DVDs.

The BDP-S300 will cost $599, yet will have the same capabilities as the $999 BDP-S1 Sony is currently selling, said Randy Waynick, senior vice president of the home products division of Sony Electronics.

Sony and Samsung Corp., which also makes a Blu-ray player, have been undersold by Toshiba Corp.'s players for the rival HD DVD format. Toshiba has a model on the market for $499.

SRG01 said:
How do the current (and therefore newer) Blu-Ray players stack up versus the PS3?

The PS3 is the middle of the pack. Sony's and Pioneer's Blu-ray players have a better picture. But the PS3 can also play SACDs, have a Dolby True HD decoder, movie bitrate info and other goodies.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
SRG01 said:
How do the current (and therefore newer) Blu-Ray players stack up versus the PS3?
From the reviews I've read, it's the best BD player out now, at least on par with the best standalone ones, and better than the early Samsung BDP1000. It's also the cheapest.

*edit* about the post above, unless some new reviews came out, I really haven't seen either of those two players referenced as 'better' than PS3, I've even seen a print magazine yesterday proclaiming the PS3 to be the best on the front page (forgot the name but it was some magazine specialized for high-def)

methane47

antipode said:
I'm confused... didn't SCEA say last week that LTD Blu-Ray sales through January were 439,000?

If 80% of PS3 buyers bought a Blu-Ray movie, wouldn't that put total PS3 sales under 550,000?

Dont quote me on this but i believe that number was taken from a survey... of PS3 owners... that about 80% of them had intended to buy or already bought bluray movies...

wasting

Banned
Petrarca said:
wow! cheaper BD player is definitely a good news for BD camp. Now the mass market has NO reason NOT to jump on blu-ray. it has the content, the broader CE support and a competitive players, not that it didn't have that before with PS3

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/gear/2007-02-26-blu-ray-cheaper_x.htm?POE=TECISVA

this is the sapphire from ces right? 1 or 2? i wonder if toshiba didnt hit that pricepoint with the a20 at ces would this come in at $599? looking forward to how the 2 compare

antipode

methane47 said:
Dont quote me on this but i believe that number was taken from a survey... of PS3 owners... that about 80% of them had intended to buy or already bought bluray movies...

Hmm, that raises even more questions - are the 40% or more who didn't buy a movie waiting for price drops on titles, or better selections, or something else?

Here's the really scary statistic: the percent of PS3 owners who bought Crank on Blu-Ray seems to be less than half the percent of DVD-player households who bought the same movie on DVD.

It really raises the question of whether next-gen disc formats have completely misread the market. For whatever reason, it seems people might prefer to buy movies on DVD right now even if they own a next-gen player.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
antipode said:
Here's the really scary statistic: the percent of PS3 owners who bought Crank on Blu-Ray seems to be less than half the percent of DVD-player households who bought the same movie on DVD.
Are you saying that number of PS3 owners who bought Crank on BD is half of the number of PS3 owners who bought the movie on DVD, or something else?

If you are comparing BD movie sales vs. DVD sales in general, it's not a surprise DVD will lead by a lot.

teiresias

antipode said:

That doesn't seem to indicate that the PS3 owners bought it on DVD, just that out of those that own a PS3 a lower percentage of them bought it the Crank Blu-Ray than the percentage of DVD player owners that bought the Crank DVD.

Obviously, anyone owning just a DVD player isn't going to buy the Blu-Ray, but just because a PS3 owner didn't buy the Blu-Ray doesn't mean they bought the DVD - it probably just means they didn't buy either and as a result proved they actually have taste.

antipode said:
Hmm, that raises even more questions - are the 40% or more who didn't buy a movie waiting for price drops on titles, or better selections, or something else?

It really raises the question of whether next-gen disc formats have completely misread the market. For whatever reason, it seems people might prefer to buy movies on DVD right now even if they own a next-gen player.
wait a gol-dern second.

There are MILLIONS of DVD players out there, there is only a fraction of Blu-Ray players out there, a proportional comparison of any of their titles just seems kind of ill-concieved at this point.

The DVD market is so big, it encompasses so many demo's, the Blu-Ray market is small and is made up mostly of techies, I don's see a single shred of basis for comparison.

antipode

teiresias said:
That doesn't seem to indicate that the PS3 owners bought it on DVD, just that out of those that own a PS3 a lower percentage of them bought it the Crank Blu-Ray than the percentage of DVD player owners that bought the Crank DVD.

Obviously, anyone owning just a DVD player isn't going to buy the Blu-Ray, but just because a PS3 owner didn't buy the Blu-Ray doesn't mean they bought the DVD - it probably just means they didn't buy either and as a result proved they actually have taste.

That's possible (a critically acclaimed movie like The Departed might be a better comparison then) - but still... Crank was the best-selling Blu-Ray in January, and saying lower by a half was a really generous estimate. If there are around 0.95 mil Blu-Ray households, 1/40 DVD owners bought the DVD and 1/135 Blu-Ray owners bought the Blu-Ray disc. It's hard to see demographics explaining that kind of gap, when the demo for Crank fits into the young male demo for PS3 owners (as opposed to DVD households, which is almost 80% of America.) The more likely explanations are price, marketing, availability or other platform issues like portability or DRM.

In any case - if you had told me a year ago that over half of PS3 owners had not bought a Blu-Ray movie, I would have thought you crazy. There's a pretty nice selection of titles out already - I think it's interesting in itself that those haven't been compelling enough to get people to buy them. (With other formats, like UMD, people have bought whatever crap is out there at release just to own something.)

methane47

antipode said:
That's possible (a critically acclaimed movie like The Departed might be a better comparison then) - but still... Crank was the best-selling Blu-Ray in January, and saying lower by a half was a really generous estimate. If there are around 0.95 mil Blu-Ray households, 1/40 DVD owners bought the DVD and 1/135 Blu-Ray owners bought the Blu-Ray disc. It's hard to see demographics explaining that kind of gap, when the demo for Crank fits into the young male demo for PS3 owners (as opposed to DVD households, which is almost 80% of America.) The more likely explanations are price, marketing, availability or other platform issues like portability or DRM.

In any case - if you had told me a year ago that over half of PS3 owners had not bought a Blu-Ray movie, I would have thought you crazy. There's a pretty nice selection of titles out already - I think it's interesting in itself that those haven't been compelling enough to get people to buy them. (With other formats, like UMD, people have bought whatever crap is out there at release just to own something.)

Take me for example.. i got a PS2 two months after launch and my DVD collection is now 4 movies Wide... yup 4 movies.. I've never been a movie collector type person but with the advent of the HD era I'm very interested in starting a collection.. but my DVD collection is crap... but i've rented TONNES upon TONNES of dvds though...

So why can't it be the same way for PS3 owners.. small buyers big renters... especially with Netflix and the like

Petrarca

Banned
Night At The Museum blu-ray up for pre-order at Amazon. This should be another blu-ray title that should crack top 50 ranking

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NOKJBS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

B000NOKJBS.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V43073560_.jpg

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Jill Sandwich said:
Anyone got any news about the new Samsung LCDs out in March?

You must be talking about the 65-series....they have been delayed until mid april.....I would wait until Sammy announces pricing on the 81-series (Summer 2007) before buying any LCD panel....

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Petrarca said:

Not only that, it seems that, like the PS3, this new player supports xvYCC Deep Color!!!

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9691343-1.html?tag=nefd.aof

Sony_BDP-S300_cropped_540x178.jpg

Sony's new BDP-S300 Blu-ray player has an attractive and relatively slim design.
(Credit: Sony)

Earlier today we reported the major details on Sony's new Blu-ray player ($600, comes out this summer), and now we've received the full press release for the BDP-S300 which will be announced tomorrow at Sony's line show. As we mentioned before, the BDP-S300 is similar to the BDP-S1, including features such as support for DVD upconversion up to 1080p and 24 frames per second output on Blu-ray discs. There are also a few new features, such as support for standard audio CDs (a major omission on the BDP-S1) and Bravia Theater Sync, which enables the BDP-S300 to control and be controlled by compatible Sony devices over HDMI.

The press release also mentions support for xvYCC (which Sony has rebranded as x.v.Color), which is a new color space that delivers a wider gamut of colors. That's great, but to fully take advantage of this feature, your TV and receiver will both have to be xvYCC-compliant and you'll need to have Blu-ray discs that take advantage of xvYCC color. Support for the xvYCC color space also seems to imply that the BDPS300 will have HDMI 1.3, but Sony did not specify that the BDP-S300 will have HDMI 1.3. As of press time, we have not been able to confirm what HDMI version the BDP-S300 will have.

Additionally, the BDP-S300 will have the ability to decode Dolby Digital Plus, which is one of the next-generation high-resolution soundtrack formats available on Blu-ray. The ability to decode Dolby Digital Plus in the player--rather than sending it in encoded bitstream format--is nice because there are currently no receivers that can decode Dolby Digital Plus. However, the BDP-S300 will not be able to decode the higher resolution Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD-Master formats.

So do these upgrades make the BDP-S300 worth the $100 premium over the 20GB Sony PlayStation 3? Maybe for some people. We definitely appreciate what appears to be a much slimmer design, and we know there are plenty of people that are just turned off to the idea of using a game console in their home theater. Also, the BDP-S300, as with all standard-format Blu-ray players, should also work with a standard infrared universal remote, which the PS3 won't. Still, the $600 price tag is less impressive when you consider that we've seen both the Philips BDP9000 and the Samsung BD-P1000 available for $600 online--and you can buy them now.

Don't throw away your PS3 yet though....it only has DD+ decoding

It's definately going to be a HDMI 1.3. For the price, I think the Dolby and DTS codecs would prove to be too expensive. This is marketing folks. Sony's "higher end" player will probably have those. Also, by June Pioneer should be releasing their VSX-1017 receiver, which should have the codecs built in.

teiresias

Petrarca said:
Night At The Museum blu-ray up for pre-order at Amazon. This should be another blu-ray title that should crack top 50 ranking

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NOKJBS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

B000NOKJBS.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V43073560_.jpg

Oh god, I work at an IMAX theater (very part-time just for fun) that ran this movie for months, if I never see it again it will be too soon. At least the guy playing the Egyptian pharaoh guy was kind of cute (mainly because I go for the ethnic guys, lol!!)

antipode said:
In any case - if you had told me a year ago that over half of PS3 owners had not bought a Blu-Ray movie, I would have thought you crazy. There's a pretty nice selection of titles out already - I think it's interesting in itself that those haven't been compelling enough to get people to buy them.

I only own two Blu-Ray discs: Babel and The Departed. The only upcoming releases that interest me are Casino Royale, Volver (really excited for this one), and A Scanner Darkly. They're starting to branch away from big blockbusters, which is nice, but the majority of current high def titles do nothing for me.

Sony has the rights to 2046, they need to put that on BR as it would be absolutely GORGEOUS.

Raistlin

ha ha ... so I was right!!!! :D

Sony's next update to their AVC codec will be for deep color. Guess I'll be trading up for a new TV next year.

IMO, the single biggest flaw in current HD movies is banding. I find it distracting as hell, and mars what is otherwise, a near perfect image. The only other complaint I have is judder, but all the DeepColor TV's coming out are speced at 120Hz.

That reminds me ... will manufacturers of BluRay players even bother with 1080p24 output now? There are very few 60/72Hz TV's available ... and everyone is going to just jump to 120Hz.

So unless the video processors in these TV's are completely borked, they should simply detect the 2:3 cadence ... and display it as 5:5.

Luckyman

Banned
http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/artic...d=&cap=&sz=13&WTModLoc=HybArt-C1-ArticlePage1

LOWER PRICED BLU-RAY

Sony will soon introduce a cheaper player for its Blu-ray discs to compete with less expensive HD DVD players, Glasgow said. Its current model, the BDP-S1, sells for about $999 on its Sony Style Web site.

By the holiday season, prices of stand-alone Sony Blu-ray players could drop to "$299 to $399 ... to drive real volumes on this," he added. "If you look at the history of DVD, $299 to $399, that's when sales really took off.

Stan Glasgow, president and chief operating officer of Sony Electronics made me say WOW

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Onix said:
The only other complaint I have is judder, but all the DeepColor TV's coming out are speced at 120Hz.

why would that make any difference? If you're accurately representing the original movie, you're still only getting 24fps. A 120fps TV will just repeat that frame 5 times in a row.

While that may be useful for an old CRT with phosphors, I don't see how its relevant for LCDs which are inherently progressive and retentive in nature. Why not just display a frame for 1/24 of a second instead?

Zaptruder

Banned
mrklaw said:
why would that make any difference? If you're accurately representing the original movie, you're still only getting 24fps. A 120fps TV will just repeat that frame 5 times in a row.

While that may be useful for an old CRT with phosphors, I don't see how its relevant for LCDs which are inherently progressive and retentive in nature. Why not just display a frame for 1/24 of a second instead?

Because you cannot display images for arbitary units of times on these displays.

120Hz works because all the major framerates are cleanly divisible by it; 24, 30, 60.

With 60hz, the same isn't true for 24 fps... which requires a 3,2,3,2 display method.

Petrarca

Banned
jennyfer said:
Has anyone heard of spectrobes that new game from disney? I am really sorry i am posting here i don't know how to make a new board. if you haven't heres the link tell me what you think; Spectrobes Nintendo DS

Us, juniors, can't create new thread. Also the link you posted is banned in GAF, so no one can access it

On other news, Sony announced Donnie Brasco and Revenge

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...Cuts_of_Donnie_Brasco,_Revenge_to_Blu-ray/492

Announcing newly-expanded versions of the hits 'Donnie Brasco' and 'Revenge' for the first time on home video, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment will bring both releases to Blu-ray day-and-date with their standard-def DVD debuts.

Due on May 8, both 'Donnie Brasco: Extended Cut' and 'Revenge: Director's Cut' will feature 1080p/MPEG-2-encoded video transfers, plus uncompressed PCM 5.1 surround tracks.

'Brasco' will also include 20 minutes of additional footage, an audio commentary with director Mike Newell and the "Donnie Brasco: Out from the Shadows" featurette.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom