• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
OH SHITS......Pixar's Cars will ship on TWO BD 50s, it seems!!:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

While we're on the subject of Buena Vista and Blu-ray, I've learned today that the forthcoming release of Cars and the Pirates of the Caribbean films will include so much material that they'll be 2-disc sets (BD50s). Cars is expected to be released in late June. Official details should be announced in the next few weeks.

Pirates was supposed to be a BD50(main film)+ a BD25(extras) but it seems that has been upgraded to dual BD50s as well!!!

Alcibiades

Kleegamefan said:
Microsoft moneyhatz....I am sure the royalties they also receive from Zune sales helps their want to support HD-DVD too :D
Universal Studios (a separate company from Universal Music - they split off in 2001) doesn't receive any royalties from Zune sales. Vivendi owns the music label and what they do is completely separate from the NBC Universal company that is owned by GE.

That said, Microsoft isn't giving Universal any money other than using King Kong as an add-on pack-in. Warner and Universal are partners because of their adoption of the VC-1 format, so if Universal wanted to be neutral, they would.

Gadeus

djkimothy said:
it's okay. Finding Nemo though would be better. Pixar should get their priorities straight. :/
I agree with that, Finding Nemo is my favorite Pixar movie by far, I would buy a Blu-Ray version the moment it came out.

dock

*various pixar love*
Whilst I'm not a massive Pixar fan, it's CG/3D generated movies that are the most compelling for me in terms of what I want to watch in high def. I'm looking forward to Final Fantasy Advent Children on BR. :)

zoku88

Kleegamefan said:
OH SHITS......Pixar's Cars will ship on TWO BD 50s, it seems!!:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Pirates was supposed to be a BD50(main film)+ a BD25(extras) but it seems that has been upgraded to dual BD50s as well!!!
Two BD50's. Isn't that a bit of overkill!? I wonder how full those discs actually will be and what kind of content they will be putting on them...

Petrarca

Banned
bdvshddvd20070225bs3.png

Cheebs

JB1981 said:
Braveheart!

Gladiator!

Indiana Jones!

go go blu-ray.
Indiana Jones dvd's are released by Lucasfilm. Lucasfilm will not support either format currently. Do not expect this outlook to change from them for at least 3 years.

X26

Banned
Zen said:
Someone disconstruct taht and tell me what i means. :p

For every 100 BR units sold, 48 HD-DVD units have been sold YTD (2007 only)
For every 100 BR units sold, 94 HD-DVD units have been sold since inception (since they've been released)

Atleast that's how I think that chart works

Raistlin

Evidence is mounting that Universal is going neutral ... and a lot of it stems from Heroes.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5714750&posted=1#post5714750

Firstly,

As of now, all the above titles are HD-DVD only, but we've learned that there's some "executive upheaval" going on in the studio's home video division right now, so things could change.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html#030107

Secondly, Sony is showing off a several minute HD Spider-Man 3 promo as part of Heroes.

Thirdly, PS3 not only being blatantly shown in this episode ... but it is actually new unreleased footage which we assume will be part of the GDC demo.

I suppose many would consider this a stretch ... but Sony is spending an awful lot of money for these tie-ins. Something is definitely up IMO.

Just btw. a few days ago amazon.de announced that 76% of the best selling HD movies are HD-DVDs vs. 24% Blu Rays. Take it for what it's worth, it'll be interesting how far this changes once PS3 is released. Especially how the big retailers react, after the intitial 'push' (Media Markt atleast advertised HD-DVD and Blu Ray a bit) it seems like HD-DVD and Blu Ray basically don't even exist outside of amazon. A few week ago the Media Markt store next to me had three HD-DVDs and three Blu Ray movies available (and they weren't seperated from the DVDs, so you would have to search through the several hundreds of DVDs to find these six movies :lol ).

http://www.testticker.de/pcpro/news/storage/news20070302005.aspx

ManaByte

Gold Member
Cheebs said:
Indiana Jones dvd's are released by Lucasfilm. Lucasfilm will not support either format currently. Do not expect this outlook to change from them for at least 3 years.

Ehhhh. Sort of. While it IS Lucasfilm; Spielberg (and thusly Dreamworks/Paramount) has a bit more say in terms of where the movies go. The DVD releases were pretty much driven by Spielberg, which is why there were no commentary tracks or deleted scenes.

Lucas has more to do with the Young Indy stuff, which should be on DVD in time for the movie next year.

Mrbob

I don't think Universal will be going format neutral anytime soon.

Perhaps second half of 07 there will be an announcement but who knows.

To be honest, why should they? They have the HD DVD market to themselves and can wring it dry before announcing platform neutrality and resell those titles again on Blu Ray.

As an aside, I think thedvdwars website tracking hi def movie sales is about as reliable as VGCHARTS.ORG.

Bebpo

Banned
Damn, I netflix'd Chicago and watched it with the PCM track and OMG; easily the best sounding film I've ever heard at home. Sounded even better than the NIN concert dvd. This is reference quality if I've ever heard it and a huge sell for uncompressed audio. I think I'll keep the disc around for the weekend and show it to my parents to push them to get their blu-ray player and a receiver with HDMI audio :D

Mrbob said:
As an aside, I think thedvdwars website tracking hi def movie sales is about as reliable as VGCHARTS.ORG.

The only truth about amazon is how the formats sell online. No one sells more discs online than Amazon.

bdvshddvd20070225bs3.png

This however is cold hard fact. On Jan 1st, HD DVD had a 100:64 lead. In 2 months, Blu-ray has a 100:94 lead.

snorggy

i didn't think i'd get into this format war... i thought i could tough it out until a winner was chosen.. but owning a PS3 and having the blu-ray playback right there ready and waiting i couldn't resist going and picking up a movie just to check it out (the departed) and now i'm hooked...

well played sony... well played.

(not a shill)

Gadeus

snorggy said:
i didn't think i'd get into this format war... i thought i could tough it out until a winner was chosen.. but owning a PS3 and having the blu-ray playback right there ready and waiting i couldn't resist going and picking up a movie just to check it out (the departed) and now i'm hooked...

well played sony... well played.

(not a shill)
No kidding, I didn't have any interest in high def movies until I saw how great the quality was on Superman Returns, now I'm afraid I'm going to blow too much money on movies.

Also, I'm really frustrated with the difficulty of finding blu-ray movies in retail stores. After keeping an eye out for The Departed for around a week, I surrendered and bought a copy from Amazon. I never saw it in theaters, so I'm really excited for it to ship, since everyone I've talked to in person loved it.

Miburou

mrklaw said:
aaargh! - runs to amazon and buys loads of movies he doesn't really care about just because they are in HD.

And aaargh! #2 - why do they always do this after I buy Black Hawk Down and Fifth Element at full price!

E-mail them and ask for a refund. I've done that dozens of times, and they always reply with one of those canned e-mails, and refund the difference to my credit card (as long as it was a recent purchase).

captive said:
Hey thanks, getting Black Hawk Down.

Anyone have the Blu-ray version of memento? is it any good, it seemed to score ok at highdef digest, but still they said give it a rent.

Memento is a weird tranfer. It's one of the early Sony releases. There are parts that look really sharp, and parts that looks softish. It's a fantastic movie though. Regardless, it still looks eons better than the DVD.

Gadeus said:
Also, I'm really frustrated with the difficulty of finding blu-ray movies in retail stores. After keeping an eye out for The Departed for around a week, I surrendered and bought a copy from Amazon. I never saw it in theaters, so I'm really excited for it to ship, since everyone I've talked to in person loved it.

Target carries a small number of BD and HD-DVD titles, as does Circuit City, but Best Buy appears to have the largest and best selection of any B&M chain that I've seen so far.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Wow, the 10% off stacked

District B13 + Memento = $26.53 FTW!

Gadeus

distantmantra said:
Target carries a small number of BD and HD-DVD titles, as does Circuit City, but Best Buy appears to have the largest and best selection of any B&M chain that I've seen so far.
I didn't even think of checking Best Buy, I only checked Walmart, Target and Circuit City. I'll do that next time, thanks for the tip.

Flo_Evans

bleh! I already have black hawk down and kingdom of heaven. The worlds fastest indian is a pretty cool movie, but it has been showing on my HD cable this week.

Sorta off-topic, but what cable movie channel is universal? Is it cinemax? I need to set up my DVR to record movies in HD that I can't get on bluray yet :D

distantmantra said:

I know our local Walmart started carrying them...

AgentOtaku said:
I know our local Walmart started carrying them...

I don't shop at Walmart, so I had no idea if they carry them.

How's Kung Fu Hustle on BD? I've considered snagging it for $15, but isn't it the edited American release?

Also, does anyone know if Dreamgirls is coming to BD? My wife asked me last night, but I had no clue.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Thanks again DarkJedi, Just ordered Memento and Black Hawk Down half off, along with The Prestige and The Departed. +10% off and free 2 day shipping. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom