• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homeworld Remastered |OT| All of this has happened before and will happen again

Portman

akBHCoL.png

MYHX50n.png

Genre: RTS
Price and where to buy: $34.99

Official site: http://www.homeworldremastered.com/

System Requirements
MINIMUM:
Processor: 2.2GHz Dual Core Processor
Memory: 1 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS (512MB) / ATI Radeon HD4800 (512MB)
Hard Drive: 20 GB available space

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: 2.3 GHz Quad Core Processor
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 / ATI Radeon HD 5850 (1GB VRAM)
Hard Drive: 20 GB available space

Includes the original games from 1999 and 2003 now capable of running on modern systems without requiring extra work.
Includes the remastered edition of both games
Includes the multiplayer beta of the remastered edition

jWAy9Mq.png

Homeworld is a RTS game that is in full 3D. Being a game set in space you have freedom to move your units in any direction which can lead to unique strategies compared to 2D RTS games. For instance, some ships have lighter armor on different sections and if you maneuver your ships to take advantage of this weakness you can overcome larger craft with a smaller force.

All of the units are mobile including production and resourcing units. Mines and weapon platforms allow for static defenses to be set up around areas of importance. Intelligence plays a role since some of the ships are able to jump large distances quickly (at the cost of resources) so attacks can be avoided if caught early and ambushes can get setup if you’re able to flank the enemy.

K71fCxx.png

The Kushan people have lived on the desert world of Kharak long enough to forget their ancient history. After a satellite that was supposed to scan the heavens scans their planet due to a malfunction they uncover their true homeworld. United to reach their home they work together to construct a great mothership and embark on their journey.

The original manual can be found online if you’d like to read more on the game. The Collector’s Edition will include a new version of the manual and I assume that a digital copy will be included on Steam with the game. I am unsure of the copyright status of it now so if the link needs to be removed please let me know.

"Proper" Homeworld 2 manuals
1. History of Hiigara
2. Historical & Technical Briefing
3. Gameplay Guide

(all credit goes to Keiichi) [Thanks to Lime for getting these links]

Here are some more resources if you’d like to read more about the game and it’s history. The first focuses on the ships in the game and the other is the wiki with a detailed history of the setting.

The Wikipedia entries for both games are a good read as well for anyone interested in the history of the games.

865ThM7.png

KWBxHYR.png

An Introduction to Homeworld Remastered Collection

Homeworld Remastered Story Trailer

Homeworld 2 Remastered Story Trailer

Making of the Homeworld Remastered Collection episode 1

Making of the Homeworld Remastered Collection episode 2

jYr4llQ.png

If you have enjoyed the artwork in the OT here is a collection of some of the concept art.

An old interview about Rob Cunningham and one of the other art directors visiting the famous sci-fi artist Peter Elson. Captain Elson in HW1 is named after him as a nod from the developers.

450AuLU.png

The multiplayer component of the game is currently in a beta state. Gearbox has stated that this is so that they can work with the community on balance and bugs. One thing that you will notice that is different from the previous versions is that all 4 sides are able to battle at once. For example the Kushan can battle the Vaygr.

I have created a Steam group for NeoGAF members that want to play multiplayer matches. It will be a work in progress for a while so forgive me if it is a little barren at the moment.

oBr3NgM.png

Total Biscuit’s Thoughts on the game

IGN Review

RPS "Wot I Think"

Bonus Section! (Thanks for reading all of this!)
Interview with Paul Ruskay (game composer) from 2012 by RPS

I could have sworn that it was mentioned that the remastered soundtrack will be getting a release but I can’t find it at the moment. I will update this if I can find the information.

Information on the art book that is being released.

Here are the soundtracks that were made by the community. Like with the manual I’m unsure of the copyright on these so if the links need to be removed please let me know.
Homeworld Community Soundtrack
Homeworld 2 Community Soundtrack

Custom Steam icons that were made by Lime

Thread title details.

This is the original credits music done by the group Yes from their album The Ladder. It was unable to be used due to licensing so I wanted to post it here in case anyone wants to hear it.

Here is a post later in the thread where Lime found a way to experience the remastered credits with the original music.

Thanks to everyone in the Homeworld thread for your help. Also a big thanks to Lime for assisting me with the images! This is my first thread and first OT so let me know of anything I need to do or change.

Thank you for the excellent OT.

Gosh, Homeworld. We're back baby. It's been too long. I remember getting the Homeworld 1 Beta mailed to me (as in, received it in my mailbox) and getting my mind blown by it. Coming from playing RTS games like Age of Empires II, Homeworld was in another dimension of possibility with 3D movement. Layer in that oh so Space Mountain/epic classical soundtrack with a unique, Middle Eastern (at least to my 13 year old eyes and ears at the time) flavor and this game was a whole new experience.

Gearbox, I never played Colonial Marines. But I love you for bringing this franchise back! The Remastered Collection genuinely looks like a labor of love by creators who are truly passionate about the project. Bravo!

Here's to hoping we can continue the renaissance of 90's sci-fi games.... New FreeSpace, Mechwarrior, Wipeout, or Colony Wars anyone? :D

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I cracked and bought this, figured at least if the remaster was botched the originals are included. Thankfully it sounds like they did a bang up job on the remaster.

Nice job on the OT!

I'm very pleased this remaster appears to have turned out as well as I hoped. The positive impressions posted in the Steam announcement are pretty exciting!

DocSeuss

Why are this week's games coming out on Wednesday, not Tuesday? D:

Also: DeadEndThrills' Homeworld screenshots are making me all wibbly-wobbly inside.

Portman

I cracked and bought this, figured at least if the remaster was botched the originals are included. Thankfully it sounds like they did a bang up job on the remaster.

That was my thought before the (early) good word started to come out. Even now if it's a flop I will be happy with an easier way to play the original games. Sure I can dig out the discs but I couldn't get 2 to cooperate last fall.

ultron87

Woohoo!

I only ever really played Homeworld when I was bad at RTSes, so it'll be interesting to see if I have a better time of it now.

Savitar

Will take me a week to get my CE but the wait will be worth it.

Plus they'll probably iron out a few bugs in that time too.

So can't wait.

Mindlog

And for those wondering, Yes.
Battlestar Galactica -> Homeworld -> Battlestar Galactica

Campbell Lane was the iconic voice of the Bentusi.

Launch trailer. I get what they were going for, but swing and a miss :]

My collectors edition will be here tomorrow, I can't wait! I also saw that Amazon just put up the page for the art book, which will also be mine!

My 570gtx is not going to like straining to play this in 1080p.

aravuus

Never played the original, but I'm pretty dang excited to give the remaster a try. I remember reading that the Homeworld games have an actually good story, too?

Lautaro

Wow, that launch trailer was bad... not only the music but the "SAVE HUMANITY" text bothers me because the characters are Kharakid in the first game and Hiigaran in the second, they are never mentioned as humans (even if they look humans).

I watched the TB video and that depth of field is the first thing I'm disabling, also there were some bugs but IIRC Homeworld was always a bit buggy, it definitely looks great though and they added a lot of options.

ACE 1991

My collectors edition will be here tomorrow, I can't wait! I also saw that Amazon just put up the page for the art book, which will also be mine!

My 570gtx is not going to like straining to play this in 1080p.

Never say never, no one knows how well optimized this game is yet.

EDIT: I'm an idiot, I thought you said your GPU isn't going to strain playing this at 1080p.

DBT85

YESSS the time is nigh! Can't wait to have a play for a few hours!

Amazing games in every aspect and the remaster is going to do the visuals and audio the real justice they deserved from the original intention.

Have to say that the story trailers are far far superior to the launch trailer though.

Also, a side by side of the original and the remastered.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ59JPpZwAU

And for those wondering, Yes.
Battlestar Galactica -> Homeworld -> Battlestar Galactica

Campbell Lane was the iconic voice of the Bentusi.

Launch trailer. I get what they were going for, but swing and a miss :]

He also did the narration for the cuscenes. Incredible work.

Palehorse

I see that the art book page is up...but no stock yet. Both .com and .ca.

I added it to my wishlist, I think this could be a fantastic addition to the CE (which comes next week)

I'm jonesing for any news I can get on HW at this point.

mantidor

Here's to hoping we can continue the renaissance of 90's sci-fi games.... New FreeSpace, Mechwarrior, Wipeout, or Colony Wars anyone? :D

I don't know about freespace, the game is already available, and the mods bring it to amazing visuals, I don't know if its worth it to re do the cutscenes, they are really dated by today standards. Revamped ship models would be awesome though.

That is the beauty of Homeworld, it's presentation and artstyle are timeless, the cutscenes only really needed a resolution update.

Also, Freespsce mod for Homeworld is a must. Homeworld mod for Freespace too now that we are at it.

Human_me

Good job Portman!

I can't wait till tomorrow. Problem is I'm at work when it releases. I won't be able to play it till Thursday afternoon at the latest :(

DBT85

I see that the art book page is up...but no stock yet. Both .com and .ca.

I added it to my wishlist, I think this could be a fantastic addition to the CE (which comes next week)

I'm jonesing for any news I can get on HW at this point.

The CE does have a smaller one, but yeah, the 236 page 3lb artbook would be the perfect partner. No way that was ever going to be in a $100 CE though.

Can someone compare/contrast this to Sins of a Solar Empire which is one of my top all-time games?

I'll say that if you like Sins, you should love Homeworld. I liked Sins but missed a campaign and story to play though.

From an aesthetic point of view, the graphics are evident in the videos and screens, but the game shines like a freaking diamond when it comes to the audio. Incredible throughout. Great VO work, great music, great effects, all beautifully mixed and now not compressed to all shit like they had to be in the originals. I also loved the cutscenes at the time and after seeing them again I still love them.

From a gameplay POV, less base building or planet grabbing, as your Mothership is the base and it moves. You'll be gathering resources from all over, building vessels in the mothership or carriers, adding upgrades to your ships to increase build power, armour, etc etc. Missions are varied and your units are persistent from level to level. The game also features a dynamic difficulty. If you start a mission with 10 carriers, the enemy will scale its forces appropriately. Similarly if you start with 1 Frigate then the enemy will also be weak to begin with. ITs just beautiful and criminal that it's been 12 years since anyone touched the IP.

Hari Seldon

I'll only say that if you like Sins, you should love Homeworld. I liked Sins but missed a campaign and story to play though.

Yeah I'm going to pick this up tonight before it goes up in price then. I do like Sins having large multiplayer maps for massive games. Makes comp-stomping with a group a lot of fun.

Kinthalis

Banned
Can someone compare/contrast this to Sins of a Solar Empire which is one of my top all-time games?

Like Sins in many ways, especially in terms of the fleet combat, but:

1. With a full campaign, featuring some of the best storytelling in a game, nevermind an RTS, period.

2. The skirmish mode/multi-player does not feature discreet worlds for you to conquer. It's more traditional in that you are fighting around one large sector of space, trying to maneuver to capture and control resource spots.

I just pre-ordered. I thought I already had! Phew!

Palehorse

The CE does have a smaller one, but yeah, the 236 page 3lb artbook would be the perfect partner. No way that was ever going to be in a $100 CE though.

I went to a Relic Community day in 09 and they brought out a framed signed Homeworld concept art print to give away. I'd never seen HW concept art before and it struck me how beautiful it was. I didn't get the print but now that this book is coming out I am darn sure getting it.

Hari Seldon

Like Sins in many ways, especially in terms of the fleet combat, but:

1. With a full campaign, featuring some of the best storytelling in a game, nevermind an RTS, period.

2. The skirmish mode/multi-player does not feature discreet worlds for you to conquer. It's more traditional in that you are fighting around one large sector of space, trying to maneuver to capture and control resource spots.

I just pre-ordered. I thought I already had! Phew!

Thanks, yeah it sounds like the multi won't top Sins but the single player sounds amazing. Definitely worth it for me. I will be picking this up for sure.

Mindlog

Yeah I'm going to pick this up tonight before it goes up in price then. I do like Sins having large multiplayer maps for massive games. Makes comp-stomping with a group a lot of fun.
Comp-stomps in Homeworld with mods were without peer.

Wait there was one game that while being different I enjoyed on a similar scale.
Nexus: The Jupiter Incident :(
That game was soooooooooooooooooo close to being there. Damn it all to hell.

Anyway, yeah. Get, Homeworld.

mantidor

Never played the original, but I'm pretty dang excited to give the remaster a try. I remember reading that the Homeworld games have an actually good story, too?

The first game would make a better movie than most recent scifi releases.

The second is more typical good vs evil, it would still be better than most recent scifi movies.

Wow, the rebuild looks amazing!!!

I wonder if there's more than one shipment. When did you order yours?

I ordered in May of 2014. Crazy that I pre-ordered that long ago, lol. I figure most pre-ordered a long time ago.

Yeah, the day it went up.

No idea why it says "Delivery Estimate: March 6th". I'm just getting mega trolled, I guess.

I'm going to live vicariously through this thread while I wait for the thing to get here.

I expect pictures of the Mothership statue so I can ;_; about it while I wait.

Top Bottom