• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homeworld Remastered |OT| All of this has happened before and will happen again

Lime

Great OT, Portman.

I didn't know about the artbook release. Looks pretty great, I'm seriously considering cancelling my expensive Collector's Edition and just get the artbook.

But then again, this feels incredibly special to see one of my top 5 games of all time getting a re-release after being in limbo at Sierra and subsequently THQ for so long. I've been banging the drum of a release of the Homeworld games for so many years here on GAF, it's is so great to witness.

EGM1966

That looks pretty impressive. I've still got disks got both originals kicking around but this looks like a good remaster so Ill probably double dip.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
NIce OT. Just got shipping confirmation from Amazon Canada. I am confused however as to why it won't be here till Monday though. I have Amazon Prime too :(

shandy706

After watching Totalbiscuits video, and hearing him talk about how well the game runs, I'm hoping to push this game at 4k at 30+fps. He was getting 60fps at 1440p with everything cranked.

When I finish our outdoor theater this Spring...I kind of want to play this at night with the real stars in the background..:) I think that would be awesome.

lifa-cobex

bad time to be moving house. PC is gonna be in storage for a week or so.

I loved getting all the research ships to connect together for some reason.
I always made it priority 1.

shandy706

bad time to be moving house. PC is gonna be in storage for a week or so.

I loved getting all the research ships to connect together for some reason.
I always made it priority 1.

It has been so long since I played the Homeworld games, that I don't even remember this. I think it is going to be like my first time after all these years. I've basically forgotten everything outside of knowing that I loved it.

Memory

Cannot wait to set up an epic battle then watch it all in slow motion jumping from ship cam to ship cam lol.

CHC

Shit I forgot that this came out TOMORROW.

TotalBiscuit's impressions got me hyped, all I needed to know was that they didn't screw it up, the game itself sold me years ago.

Now to find some fucking time, probably won't be able to hit this until like June haha

lifa-cobex

It has been so long since I played the Homeworld games, that I don't even remember this. I think it is going to be like my first time after all these years. I've basically forgotten everything outside of knowing that I loved it.

Can't remember the story for shit but I recall most of the ships.

I loved the look of the repair/ salvage ship because it looked like a space magnet.
Also the clocking attack ships looked like prawns lol.

When I played skirmishes I would always jump on mine layer corvets research and lays field and fields of mines out

ShadowOwl

I haven't been this hyped up since.. errrrr... Majora's Mask 3D... but still! I'm really looking forward to this, it's a bit sad that the classic Homeworld are still the pinnacle of RTS games set in space.

DBT85

I haven't been this hyped up since.. errrrr... Majora's Mask 3D... but still! I'm really looking forward to this, it's a bit sad that the classic Homeworld are still the pinnacle of RTS games set in space.

I tihnk its sad that others haven't tried hard enough to top it, but if Homeworld is the game that will go down as the Space RTS, I'm good with that.

aravuus

Cannot wait to set up an epic battle then watch it all in slow motion jumping from ship cam to ship cam lol.

So there is slow motion? I watched TB's YT video and was a bit bummed when I didn't see a toggle for it anywhere cause the battles definitely look fucking awesome and surely even more awesome in slowmo

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Bought

I never played the originals outside of maybe 1h of homeworld 2 on a friend's pc for whatever reason but the atmosphere and the RTS elements fascinated me back in the days. Which is considered as the best one for homeworld fans? 1 or 2? I'll start with 1 for story of course but im just curious.

lifa-cobex

So there is slow motion? I watched TB's YT video and was a bit bummed when I didn't see a toggle for it anywhere cause the battles definitely look fucking awesome and surely even more awesome in slowmo

Don't think so.
You can pause at any point and still look around, zoom in/ out etc etc

mantidor

Bought

I never played the originals outside of maybe 1h of homeworld 2 on a friend's pc for whatever reason but the atmosphere and the RTS elements fascinated me back in the days. Which is considered as the best one for homeworld fans? 1 or 2? I'll start with 1 for story of course but im just curious.

Usually 1, much more engaging story, better balance and variety of missions. 1 throws to you surprise after surprise.

2 doesn't quite have that, and the difficulty curve really threw some people off, but the music and cutscenes are amazing and once you get the hang of the difficulty the game plays wonderfully.

I'm a coinflip away from this. Still not sure. RTS isn't really my cup of tea, but I don't hate them for any reason.

Anyone have a link to maybe a compelling review or something?

jblank83

I'm a coinflip away from this. Still not sure. RTS isn't really my cup of tea, but I don't hate them for any reason.

Anyone have a link to maybe a compelling review or something?

It's not really RTS, not the way you think of RTS like Starcraft or Grey Goo.

It's more tactical combat management with some resource stuff. I mean, that's RTS, but it's so different from every other game in the genre.

IlludiumQ36

Having never played the originals, I'm somewhat on the fence too.

If I knew that I could play co-op with a friend against the CPU even if it's just in skirmishes, that would get me to pull the trigger immediately.

Never played the original, but I'm pretty dang excited to give the remaster a try. I remember reading that the Homeworld games have an actually good story, too?

The story is good but maybe not in the way you might be thinking, it's more about execution.

Maulik

What do you guys think of this as a proposal for a MP game type:

Relic Hunter mode:

It uses the relics that are already incorporated in the remaster. However, the twist will be that in addition to resources, the holding of a relic causes you to gain tickets / other arbitrary points.

The win condition should be first person to reach x points.

What i think this gametype will do is encourage more skirmishes to occur as well as encourage the use of more mobile fleets to go and capture additional relics. The standard kill mothership win conditions ends up being a rush to cap ships.

epmode

Which VPN client do you guys use for Steam unlocks?

Not that it'll work in this case, I'm just curious about a good free solution.

CHC

So how newbie friendly is Homeworld? With newbie I mean newbie to the RTS genre.

I almost never play RTS's and I don't remember Homeworld 2 giving me much of a hard time. You'll have to be willing to learn it though, there are good in-game tutorials that teach you pretty much everything in like an hour or two, if you pay attention and follow along. Just playing through the campaigns doens't really demand anything too unreasonable in terms of micro-management or calculated efficiency.

epmode

So how newbie friendly is Homeworld? With newbie I mean newbie to the RTS genre.

There's really nothing else like it so I think you'll be fine.

It doesn't play all that much like a traditional RTS, anyway. Micro isn't nearly as important and you can pause at any time.

That said, it's not an easy game.

2San

I almost never play RTS's and I don't remember Homeworld 2 giving me much of a hard time. You'll have to be willing to learn it though, there are good in-game tutorials that teach you pretty much everything in like an hour or two, if you pay attention and follow along. Just playing through the campaigns doens't really demand anything too unreasonable in terms of micro-management or calculated efficiency.

The original game was pretty brutal at times. The sequel even more so.

There's really nothing else like it so I think you'll be fine.

It doesn't play all that much like a traditional RTS, anyway. Micro isn't nearly as important and you can pause at any time.

That said, it's not an easy game.
Thanks for the info. I'll have to think about this one.

DBT85

Getting the CE is great and all, but getting the bloody codes in the email would be nice so those that have paid so much extra can also preload for when the dickhead delivery guy forgets to arrive.

Portman

Getting the CE is great and all, but getting the bloody codes in the email would be nice so those that have paid so much extra can also preload for when the dickhead delivery guy forgets to arrive.

My thoughts exactly. Although I'm telling myself it won't be the end of the world if I have to wait until tomorrow evening to get the download started it wold be nice to be ready to go when I get home from work. I'm hoping that I can get lucky and mine will get delivered around lunch so I can swing by and get the code so that the game is installed and good to go but of course it won't work that way since I want it to! The one good thing is that with the potential for bad weather here tomorrow evening it could be a good day to be snowed in or at least delayed heading to work on Thursday.

That preload size seems small since they had said the game was 20GB (or at least the requirements say that). I wonder if they're doing one of those where it is a section of it and the rest will be downloaded at release or if it's the whole game?

Thanks! I'll get it added to the press section of the OT.

Sölf

I never finished the campaign, but I remember having quite a lot of fun with it. I will probably buy this and play it again.

Top Bottom