• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homeworld Remastered |OT| All of this has happened before and will happen again

I was one of those people that was really worried when Gearbox picked up the IP, thinking they were going to butcher the game in one way or another. Keep in mind this was shortly after Colonial Marines so I did not have much faith in them working with someone else's IP and game.

I was wrong.

And I couldn't be happier about it! It looks like they've really delivered with this remaster. I can't wait to finally play Homeworld again after all these year. Just a few more hours to go.

DBT85

You were just part of the majority. Nearly everyone in that first thread was bitching about Gearbox and Colonial Marines and how they were going to shit this remaster up beyond all belief.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I'm reading the manual for the first Homeworld, and holy balls, it kinda annoys me how we only get a two page booklet with instructions in modern games. This thing really goes deep in the backstory.

taoofjord

You were just part of the majority. Nearly everyone in that first thread was bitching about Gearbox and Colonial Marines and how they were going to shit this remaster up beyond all belief.

Same here. I thought Gearbox was going to mess it up by rushing it out the door. After recently watching a lengthy Q&A demonstration it became absolutely clear that they really put in the money and effort to make this a respectful remaster. Great job Gearbox!

CHC

Preload is on, 4.6 GB.

Fucking awesome, not only did they make a competent-ass port, they actually released a game in 2015 that isn't more than 20GB. Not like HDD space is that hard to come by, but it's still nice knowing it's probably about as small as it can be.

Elandyll

Banned
Collector Edition arrived, it's beautiful :)

I also organized a little reunion to celebrate, the new CE manual meeting its much older foreign brother: the French original manual of Homeworld.

home.jpg

I entered the code in steam, but it's not showing on my library yet... weird.

mantidor

Urrrgh I wanted it so much :( if I ever ordered it by the time it arrives to Brazil it will cost likely double, I can't afford it :(

Have we found out if either the CE or original manual(s) will get a printer friendly PDF with the steam release? Digital manual for the first game is everywhere but I've never seen a disk for Homeworld 2 that included a clean copy of the manual, would be nice to get my hands on a copy.

Aaron D.

I'm reading the manual for the first Homeworld, and holy balls, it kinda annoys me how we only get a two page booklet with instructions in modern games. This thing really goes deep in the backstory.

Yeah, I ordered a used copy of the OG manual from Amazon as my original is long gone. Man this thing is a work of art.

Any word if the manual is finding its way into the Remaster? You can find a .pdf copy of it pretty easily online, but it would be a nice touch to have a digital copy embedded in the game menu. Seems like a missed opportunity if not.

Elandyll

Banned
Pre-load finished, and Ship siting pretty right next to my laptop :)

home3.jpg

The ship is nice enough (I like that the lighting has an on/ off switch), but I am even more pleased with the base actually (the Guidestone).

Pre-load finished, and Ship siting pretty right next to my laptop :)

home3.jpg

The ship is nice enough (I like that the lighting has an on/ off switch), but I am even more pleased with the base actually (the Guidestone).

Where do I buy this? This would make an awesome night light for a 28 y/o.

~Kinggi~

Banned
So i guess Gearbox broke even and has restored status of a bunch of non-assholes with this after the aliens fiasco. See doing great things can have positive effects!

So i guess Gearbox broke even and has restored status of a bunch of non-assholes with this after the aliens fiasco. See doing great things can have positive effects!

GB still have a ways to go. This is a start. Fair price on what looks like a fantastic port of an old game.

wrongway

Great OP, nice job Portman :D

Been listening to the BSG soundtracks all day for maximum space battle mood. Now to hope I can actually conduct some car repairs quickly tomorrow afternoon so I can play all night. ack. x_x

I'm really looking forward to my CE arriving on Friday, I absolutely adored these games when they came out originally. This has been a great few weeks for gaming sentimentality for me, this combined with Majoras Mask on 3ds is like a return to my prime gaming days. Shame I have to wait an extra day or two to play it, but I'm just happy I managed to snag one of these.

Rosur

Any idea when the majority of reviews will appear (as know we have IGN's)?

Thinking I'll be picking up this and Cites: Skylines preorder when paid on Friday.

Gearbox deserved that though, if they want people to actually trust them and not doubt their skills they should never do what they did with Colonial Marines again.

red731

I am buying this from the nostalgia standpoint only.

I sucked at this when I was little and I will certainly suck at it even now, but man. I just LOVED the music and the colourful SPACE!

H1PSTER

I'm tempted to forget the Amiibo hunt and just get this game.

Is it hard to get into? I've never played a Homeworld game before and I find that embarrassing to say I'm a 24 year old RTS fan.

AndyBNV

Nvidia

Is it hard to get into? I've never played a Homeworld game before and I find that embarrassing to say I'm a 24 year old RTS fan.

Start with the campaign, it introduces you to the mechanics and the Remastered UI updates make it far easier to play than the original version.

Human_me

It's only hard if you don't do the tutorials and campaign.

If you go into it and only play skirmish or multiplayer it will be difficult.

Just play the campaign first, and you will be fine.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Great OT :D

But y u remind me that the game is out = something else which I need to spend money on D:

Lime

Looking back since its release in 1999, I still can't believe more RTS games like this haven't been made.

SmilingCat

Neo Member
Really want to get this and there is still time to get the pre-order 15% deal. Been on a nostalgia bender getting all my favorite games remastered last few months including finally buying a N3DSXl for MM. Don't know if I want to buy it yet only to heap it on my backlog.

Remember getting this from a friends older brother and reading through the manual which focused heavily on ship types and combat roles. Actually I think I have the original disc still in one of my CD binders that hasn't been opened in years. Might be a perfect game to get again since you can pause it. Takes what could be a hectic game and lets you take some time to actually think. Used to play it to just relax which isn't really common in RTS games. Hmm well no space game has come out since that had the same feel. Sins of Solar Empire was fun, just wasn't the same though.

Eh I give in worth it have it waiting cause I always get the craving for a space game every once in awhile and I know this will fit the bill perfectly. Hopefully with enough sales this will get a new entry in the series.

That statue of the Mothership is pretty amazing. I always thought it had a really distinct look and I grew attached to it throughout the games.

Human_me

If you're running SLI, we just released a SLI profile for Homeworld Remastered via GeForce Experience: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/homeworld-remastered-sli-profile

Hey Andy, are we getting a "Optimal Setting" profile in Geforce Experience sometime today?

YES is not in the game unfortunately.
That's not to say Modders won't re-implement it of course.

Apparently rumor has it that Sail - Awolnation is in its credit slot instead.

Top Bottom