• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homeworld Remastered |OT| All of this has happened before and will happen again

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Hey Andy, are we getting a "Optimal Setting" profile in Geforce Experience sometime today?

YES is not in the game unfortunately.
That's not to say Modders won't re-implement it of course.

Apparently rumor has it that Sail - Awolnation is in its credit slot instead.

Ew. That song is awful, it was bad enough in the trailer. If I wasn't already onboard with how awesome Homeworld is that trailer might have made me not get the game :lol

Nikodemos

That statue of the Mothership is pretty amazing. I always thought it had a really distinct look and I grew attached to it throughout the games.
Isn't that the Pride of Hiigara, though? The <nameless> Mothership was only in the first.

Also, I will forever be sad that there's no film adaptation of the story. As mantidor said:

The first game would make a better movie than most recent scifi releases.

The second is more typical good vs evil, it would still be better than most recent scifi movies.

Kinthalis

Banned
If Homeworld doesn't show up in the GF Experience 'Optimal Setting' menu, can someone be kind enough to explain how you apply the game-specific SLI Profile to get it running properly?

I'm a bit behind the curve on GF manual configurations.

Be sure you check for updates in the GF experience app to be sure the profile is downloaded.

But other than that, there's really nothing to do. So long as you have SLi enabled in the contorl panel (right click desktop, nvidia control panel), SLi will just work in any game that is currently supported.

Let's check the status of my CE:
GpbDgDC.png

Damn you Vaygr!
mMCdRNs.jpg

AndyBNV

Nvidia
If Homeworld doesn't show up in the GF Experience 'Optimal Setting' menu, can someone be kind enough to explain how you apply the game-specific SLI Profile to get it running properly?

I'm a bit behind the curve on GF manual configurations.

What Kinthalis said. Preferences Tab --> Check For Updates

After that you can open NVIDIA Control Panel or NVIDIA Inspector, browse to the profile, and see that the SLI doodads have applied.

Wasdie

Neo Member
Lots of rumors that The Ladder by Yes has been removed. Big shame if that is the case. Probably not what Gearbox wanted to do either. If it has been removed, my guess is it would have to do with licensing.

Nothing some mods can't fix.

mantidor

Keep in mind it's not confirmed.
We will find out when we get to the credits.

To be honest in terms of clashing with the rest of the soundtrack both songs are on par, the only advantage of the YES song is that at least it was written specifically for the game.

Wasdie

Neo Member
To be honest in terms of clashing with the rest of the soundtrack both songs are on par, the only advantage of the YES song is that at least it was written specifically for the game.

Yes's song clashes so well with Homeworld though. It's not dark and dreary, not full of ominous tones. It's the happy and adventurous progressive rock that you've earned after the long journey to your homeworld. I always thought it was fitting.

Portman

If you're running SLI, we just released a SLI profile for Homeworld Remastered via GeForce Experience: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/homeworld-remastered-sli-profile
Good to hear Andy, thanks for the heads up! That makes me super happy now that I have my first SLI system and I get to see the game cranked on it.

I'm reading the manual for the first Homeworld, and holy balls, it kinda annoys me how we only get a two page booklet with instructions in modern games. This thing really goes deep in the backstory.
I've always enjoyed the amount of detail they put into the game. I have taken it as a good sign when the developer puts a lot of backstory or small details in a game and that shows that they put their heart and soul into it (or at least that's how I perceive it).
Are we using a GAF steam group or just joining the larger steam/reddit steam group?
I'd be down with a Steam group. If anyone sees me playing it on the NeoGaf group page, feel free to add/jump in.
I have a Steam group setup if you want to use it. I wasn't sure what the standard was when I created it so I set it to private thinking we could add people from here via PM but I didn't know if that was to complicated. Either way let me know if I got the group setup correctly or if we need to try for another one since I am up for getting multiplayer games organized (I can rent us a Ventrillo server too if needed).

I have a Steam group setup if you want to use it. I wasn't sure what the standard was when I created it so I set it to private thinking we could add people from here via PM but I didn't know if that was to complicated. Either way let me know if I got the group setup correctly or if we need to try for another one since I am up for getting multiplayer games organized (I can rent us a Ventrillo server too if needed).
Yeah I've never been part of a GAF Steam Play either so I'm not sure? I'd probably make it public just to cut down on confusion but that's just me. Even if randoms joined, I'm all about da matches.

Multiplayer is going to be fun I think, so I'd love to part of a group of people who want to play good games.

Pinktaco

Steam say I can preload, but when I click on the game nothing happens and it pops up with an error message. Normal for everybody else?

Lorul2

The first PC game I ever played through to the end. Continued success to the Homeworld franchise and Gearbox who brought it back!

Aaron D.

Be sure you check for updates in the GF experience app to be sure the profile is downloaded.

But other than that, there's really nothing to do. So long as you have SLi enabled in the contorl panel (right click desktop, nvidia control panel), SLi will just work in any game that is currently supported.

What Kinthalis said. Preferences Tab --> Check For Updates

After that you can open NVIDIA Control Panel or NVIDIA Inspector, browse to the profile, and see that the SLI doodads have applied.

Awesome.

Thanks for the help, gang!

http://youtu.be/iBktYJsJq-E?t=39s

Anim

Has any of you guys pre-ordered the digital version on Amazon? I still haven't received the activation code and I'd like to know if anyone else is in a similar situation.

Kinthalis

Banned
Less than an hour guys!!!!!!!!

Too bad I'm stuck at work for another 5 hours. :(

Joining the Steam group!

EDIT: Actually, need to be invited. My name is Kinthalis there as well :)

Lime

My CE just got packaged and sent away by Amazon UK. Expecting delivery on Friday at the earliest (it'll probably be Monday based on my experience with delivery from the UK).

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Wish Steam would hold your order as it were for 15 minutes like GMG, I was gonna buy it and just as I'm ready to click the final button I see it's full price :(.

Oh well, 15 EUR each for two fantastic looking remasters is more than worth it.

Can't wait to see dat intro again. (lyk dis if u cry evry tim)

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Goddamnit. I bought and pre-loaded last night to avoid this (4.2 gig download). Now to play the game I need to download another 3.3 gigs for the game. ;__;

I'm on satellite internet
unless I want dial-up
so I gotta wait for midnight to download it now.... *cries*

Free download time from midnight to 5am on my Excede satellite internet account, which is otherwise 10 gigs a month bandwidth.

Zafir

Wait what? I preloaded it about half an hour ago, clicked launch as soon as it hit 6PM and it unpacked before launching. On launching it was stuttering so I shut it, now it's downloading another 3.3gb? o_O

ACE 1991

Goddamnit. I bought and pre-loaded last night to avoid this (4.2 gig download). Now to play the game I need to download another 3.3 gigs for the game. ;__;

I'm on satellite internet
unless I want dial-up
so I gotta wait for midnight to download it now.... *cries*

So there is an additional download after the preload? Ugh.

Zafir

I think it is just decryption. It seems to "download" awfully fast for me.

I don't think so. As I said, it already did that when I tried to launch it at 6PM, it also let me into the actual game, albeit with stuttering before I exited and it forced me to download this patch.

For me it's downloading at the same speed as when I pre-loaded it.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
My CE just got packaged and sent away by Amazon UK. Expecting delivery on Friday at the earliest (it'll probably be Monday based on my experience with delivery from the UK).

Yea? I just got this from Amazon UK:

Due to a distribution issue, "Homeworld Remastered Collector's Edition" from your order # xxxxxxxxxxx will be delayed. Your order should be on its way to you by Friday, 27 February, 2015.

As a token of good will, we'd like to offer you code that you can use to play the game online until your order arrives.

What does the "dual lights" option in the shadows drop-down box in the video settings mean and how does it differ from the "enhanced" option?

NeoFaff

Code:
Due to a distribution issue, "Homeworld Remastered Collector's Edition" from your order will be delayed. Your order should be on its way to you by Friday, 27 February, 2015.

As a token of good will, we'd like to offer you code that you can use to play the game online until your order arrives.

Your Codes:

We can understand that this wasn't what you expected when you placed your order and we understand if you'd prefer to cancel this item or the entire order. To do so, visit Your Account

:O Wonder where the code came from. I redeemed the key anyway so I'm not going to cancel now.

edit: By the way amazon has the UK CEs in stock again. Failed preorder payments probably - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00P1DVGLS/

Zafir

I see what happened. The version I loaded up at 6PM still had beta on it and was missing an option on the menu(was wondering how I was meant to play the campaign!), so apparently the pre-load didn't have the most up to date version of the game. It doesn't have it now I've downloaded the 3.3gb update.

Waaghals

I don't think so. As I said, it already did that when I tried to launch it at 6PM, it also let me into the actual game, albeit with stuttering before I exited and it forced me to download this patch.

For me it's downloading at the same speed as when I pre-loaded it.

You are right. It is downloading for me now as well.

Mindlog

I'm reading the manual for the first Homeworld, and holy balls, it kinda annoys me how we only get a two page booklet with instructions in modern games. This thing really goes deep in the backstory.
On the flip side we probably would have gotten a full book if Homeworld had been a modern a release.

And it would have been terrible.
OSqzu8R.jpg

There's something to be said for the sweet spot those old PC manuals hit. They got to splurge with world building fiction and weren't hogtied trying to force a traditional story.

I would pay more for an old traditional PC manual than the new pamphlet/cash-in book combination.
ZOMG the KSP god himself Scott Manley is playing through HW Remastered! He's never played before. He's gotten a little flak for talking curing the cutscenes and said he'll cut back for ep 2.
I am very surprised he has never played Homeworld.

Portman

There's a substantial spoiler in one of the screenshots. (though you might not notice).

I had noticed that when I was going through them and started to avoid it but I figured people new to the game wouldn't notice. I can work on changing it to another we think it is an issue but I'm guessing it will be okay since they have it up on Stem (where I got them from).

I will look at the Steam group after work and see if I can adjust the settings. I will also get some information up about joining it too and see if anyone else wants to assist on that (as an admin in it). I was thinking keeping it restricted to GAF members would provide more control but if that ends up working against it then it can be recreated.

the "DLC" is required for the single player campaign.. so it's not an optional download if you want to play the single player campaign.

Waaghals

I had noticed that when I was going through them and started to avoid it but I figured people new to the game wouldn't notice. I can work on changing it to another we think it is an issue but I'm guessing it will be okay since they have it up on Stem (where I got them from).

I will look at the Steam group after work and see if I can adjust the settings. I will also get some information up about joining it too and see if anyone else wants to assist on that (as an admin in it). I was thinking keeping it restricted to GAF members would provide more control but if that ends up working against it then it can be recreated.

I really don't think the screenshot is a problem. In retrospect I probably did more damage by bringing it up, now people might be looking for it.

Top Bottom