• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdstorm

Banned
Is there any reason to hunt animals? Like the Boars and Turkeys.

I've collected some Meat because I thought there would be some survival aspects to the game since you are a hunter and all, but it doesn't seem like you need to eat or anything.

I guess it's probably for trading and crafting later on?

You need it for crafting Ammo expansions. So they can be useful

Best looking game ever? Yes, I think so.
Little Aloy adorable as hell? Yes, I think so.

It's fantastic looking no doubt, but playing it made me want to go back to the Witcher 3 and GTA V to see how they hold up. Quite frankly, when it comes to open world design both stand head and shoulders above the rest. I just spent about ~30-45 minutes in nVidia Ansel flying around Skelige and Beuclair snapping pictures.

Nesotenso

I've collected some Meat because I thought there would be some survival aspects to the game since you are a hunter and all, but it doesn't seem like you need to eat or anything.

yes pouches, potions etc.

LadyRiven

Okay, fuck Cauldron Sigma. I came here completely unprepared.

Me too. It says level 8, so I figured I'd be fine at level 11. Nope. The guy at the end is 18 and he just obliterates me. I had to give up and load an old save outside of the cauldron. The video I watched of a guy defeating it does it at level 21. Wut. I guess I will come back later when I'm much higher level. :(

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Anyone else have the 'luck of the hunt' side quest glitch out? I have all the things npc wants but he just wont take them.

Kard8p3

What's the best outfit? I have the medium stealth atm.

Game is so fucking good and I'm only level 13 or so. There is NG+ right?

jaaz

Okay, fuck Cauldron Sigma. I came here completely unprepared.

Are the cauldrons where those little cave signs are on the map? Like the one in the Embrace and the one outside of it? Are they meant to be explored at any time, or is there a quest that takes you there? I don't want to go inside one before I'm supposed to...

Me too. It says level 8, so I figured I'd be fine at level 11. Nope. The guy at the end is 18 and he just obliterates me. I had to give up and load an old save outside of the cauldron. The video I watched of a guy defeating it does it at level 21. Wut. I guess I will come back later when I'm much higher level. :(

I beat it far lower than that.

Rolling is essential, and make sure you have the sling and tripwire. He does a lot of charging, so the latter is actually a great weapon despite being in a confined space.

Grisby

This game feels Far Cry and Tomb Raider's (reboot) secret love child.

GG really nailed how Aloy controls. It simply feels great to run around and shoot things with my bow. The only thing I dislike so far is the map/symbols can be kind of hard to suss out and there doesn't seem to be a filter option.

On another note, I was wondering if anyone else was reminded of Ninja Theory's Enslaved: Odyssey to the West? Getting major vibes of it while playing through Horizon.
ufzwLrW.jpg
The armors in this game really need a "hide headgear" option.
I feel like this is Dragon Age Origins all over again.

Loudninja

GG really nailed how Aloy controls. It simply feels great to run around and shoot things with my bow. The only thing I dislike so far is the map/symbols can be kind of hard to suss out and there doesn't seem to be a filter option.

On another note, I was wondering if anyone else was reminded of Ninja Theory's Enslaved: Odyssey to the West? Getting major vibes of it while playing through Horizon.

I feel like this is Dragon Age Origins all over again.
Yeah love that game as well.

UncleMeat

I'm playing on normal and am in this first cauldron (level 8), I'm level 10 I think, is this boss supposed to be so bullet spongy or am I missing something?

I poured a ton of arrows both regular and fire into it's "weak spots" and am barely doing any damage. I only have one trip wire left and a bunch of arrows but I'm not sure I have enough ammo to kill it but I'm too far into the level to back out or resupply. Am I boned?

I'm playing on normal and am in this first cauldron (level 8), I'm level 10 I think, is this boss supposed to be so bullet spongy or am I missing something?

I poured a ton of arrows both regular and fire into it's "weak spots" and am barely doing any damage. I only have one trip wire left and a bunch of arrows but I'm not sure I have enough ammo to kill it but I'm too far into the level to back out or resupply. Am I boned?

I was maybe a level above you:

Use the stronger bow for this, not the basic bow. Tripwires and rope are great, and using the sling with the shock ammo is very good as well. You'll have to use your whole assortment of weapons for this, and make sure you roll a lot.

Meat gets more important later on when you have to start to depend on potions for heals.

I've been skimping on killing animals too but now, Im happy to see boars to kill.

Same thing crossed my mind. Gathering resources feels eerily similar to Tomb Raider, right down to the sound it makes when Aloy harvest the wood. I even get some Witcher vibes from the detective vision having you follow people's trails. Though Batman Arkham Asylum is probably more apt, seeing as that is one of the first uses of such a gameplay mechanic I can remember.

After playing my first 7 hours, i am really impressed and surprised.
It really has the best open world visuals i have seen so far.
I have seen some people claiming it has uncharted 4 level of visuals + polishing, in an open world, but i disagree. That would be unreal (or almost impossible?). But still, super impressive. Plus, it has a nice art style / world design.

The gameplay is good, fun and interesting so far.

What surprises me, are the story / Characters.
The stories, characters and writing in guerilla's games, were never good and super forgettable. So i really expected nothing special here. But it seems like a big step up!
The story is actually very interesting. Can not wait for what's to come, and i want to experience the mysteries of this world.

Neoweee

For the love of God, don't do a Cauldron on Very Hard until you're wildly overleveled. Everything about the last fight is F- terrible. No way out, no way to re-trigger a quick save after I've spent some time redoing customization setting up for the fight, monsters before the boss fight you have to clear every time, and then a tedious, janky boss fight with awful hit boxes.

Everything about this is just terrible.

20 hours in, level 28, 40.5% complete. I'm loving every moment I get to spend with this game, its characters, and the world. It's been a long time since a game grabbed me like this.

Also if the robots seem like bullet sponges to you, you aren't using your whole arsenal, or even using them incorrectly.

Make sure you take advantage of their weaknesses, and try to hit their weak points.

I often find myself pausing to the inventory and reading the bestiary while fighting to get more info on them.

For the love of God, don't do a Cauldron on Very Hard until you're wildly overleveled. Everything about the last fight is F- terrible. No way out, no way to re-trigger a quick save after I've spent some time redoing customization setting up for the fight, monsters before the boss fight you have to clear every time, and then a tedious, janky boss fight with awful hit boxes.

Everything about this is just terrible.
Sounds more like you just aren't ready lol.

Steroyd

Whew beat cauldron sigma and holy crap was I not ready for the bellowwhatsitsname, had a tango with one out in the wild and went nope, did it eventually but gonna have to mess around with other bows because tearing off those parts is fucking essential and I can only imagine there's further emphasis on that with other enemies.

Also if the robots seem like bullet sponges to you, you aren't using your whole arsenal, or even using them incorrectly.

Make sure you take advantage of their weaknesses, and try to hit their weak points.

I often find myself pausing to the inventory and reading the bestiary while fighting to get more info on them.

Yep, even on very hard so far, I haven't had an issue with bullet spongeyness. I can take out a slightly higher level sawtooth with a couple of well places fire based traps and shooting the weak points. I just did that for a quest and it took about 15-20 seconds to take down.

UncleMeat

I was maybe a level above you:

Use the stronger bow for this, not the basic bow. Tripwires and rope are great, and using the sling with the shock ammo is very good as well. You'll have to use your whole assortment of weapons for this, and make sure you roll a lot.

Don't have that one but thanks for the tips - at least I know I'm not a total idiot and missing something obvious. Probably just going to lower the difficulty so I can move on and get better tools for next time.

I'm always hesitant to buy weapons in rpgs because I like to see what the story gives you but it seems like you're better off buying them in Horizon.

Haines

Banned
Finally hit the open world and first tall neck

Jesus this game has lived up to the hype so far.

Masterfully designed

jdstorm

Banned
Re the Caldron Sigma boss fight.

Remember to craft a whole bunch of Fire Imunity potions if you are tackling it at a low ish level. Explosive tripwires are also great.

Another minor gripe from me. Why does the camera closes up in towns? Is it to preserve performance as there are lots of NPCs and details to display? It makes it harder to navigate.

Grisby

Yeah love that game as well.
Yep. Definitely thought it deserved to have a bigger impact.

I really enjoyed Monkey and Trip's relationship and how it evolved over the course of the game.
Same thing crossed my mind. Gathering resources feels eerily similar to Tomb Raider, right down to the sound it makes when Aloy harvest the wood. I even get some Witcher vibes from the detective vision having you follow people's trails. Though Batman Arkham Asylum is probably more apt, seeing as that is one of the first uses of such a gameplay mechanic I can remember.
There's a lot if influences to be sure. I was thinking the same thing about the wood deal. Lara has a bit more animation to her branch snapping, lol.
keanu reeves whoa are you me? I was thinking the same thing. DAO is one of my all time favorites.
KcS39iD.gif

DAO is fantastic. It's also my go to example whenever I think about poor head armor/armor designs.

Neoweee

Sounds more like you just aren't ready lol.

No, I got him alright. "Not being ready" isn't an excuse for the bad save mechanics. A bunch of bad design decisions compound in a shitty way that is wildly atypical both for the game, and for the open-world genre as a whole. How hard would it be to at least let us trigger a quick-save after we've customized our shit? Or had it after the first patrol is cleared?

Like, 6 or 7 different things have a conflux of crap if you're on Very Hard.

Re the Caldron Sigma boss fight.

Remember to craft a whole bunch of Fire Imunity potions if you are tackling it at a low ish level. Explosive tripwires are also great.

My solution on Very Hard:

Sling grenade spam. Use Electric balls to debilitate him until you take care of the main Fire pouch on its back, and then just keep him slowed with a full stack of Frost debuffs. Keep hitting him with arrows when you get the chance, and the nades can do some gnarly tear damage along the way.

I am pleasantly surprised how little time I'm spending in menus in Horizon. Being able to heal, pick up items, and craft on the go is fantastic, it creates such a good flow. TW3 drove me crazy with the amount of time I spent in menus, and it's also one of my biggest concerns with BotW. Aloy's Focus/Witcher sense equivalent is well done, too, and I love how non-intrusive it is when you're tracking something - and preserves the game's art direction.

The audio/visual cues and telegraphing when enemies attack is so goddamn gooooood.

Super satisfying to nail Watchers in their eye. One shot kill, and especially awesome when you hit them mid-leap

Yeah, it's so satisfying!

Just hit the first
Demon
boss fight. Holy crap, this is the moment I fell in love with the combat. Everything else was jut dodge and shoot at the machine until now. This was on another level with the incredible destruction of the entire village and actually having to use your whole arsenal of tools and traps.

Zackat

I haven't done any cauldrons and I am level 20 o_O

I must have missed something. I know she kept saying I needed to find something to learn how to hack more machines but nothing became clear. Are they just on my map?

Unless I'm doing something wrong the "create job" feature doesn't really work for me. I create the job but it doesn't really make a marker or anything to find resources.

I was REALLY looking forward to it since I figured it would take out a lot of fluff of resource gathering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom