• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
What surprises me, are the story / Characters.
The stories, characters and writing in guerilla's games, were never good and super forgettable. So i really expected nothing special here. But it seems like a big step up!
The story is actually very interesting. Can not wait for what's to come, and i want to experience the mysteries of this world.

Yeah, I'm genuinely impressed.
I also love how emotive the characters are. One of those perks of ever improving game visuals I suppose.

That scene in the lodge where Vala sticks up for, then promptly tosses shade at Aloy had me rolling.

Aloy was like
y6o30hh.gif

I am pleasantly surprised how little time I'm spending in menus in Horizon. Being able to heal, pick up items, and craft on the go is fantastic, it creates such a good flow. TW3 drove me crazy with the amount of time I spent in menus, and it's also one of my biggest concerns with BotW. Aloy's Focus/Witcher sense equivalent is well done, too, and I love how non-intrusive it is when you're tracking something - and preserves the game's art direction.

The audio/visual cues and telegraphing when enemies attack is so goddamn gooooood.
You can tell that an action game developer designed this

Unless I'm doing something wrong the "create job" feature doesn't really work for me. I create the job but it doesn't really make a marker or anything to find resources.

I was REALLY looking forward to it since I figured it would take out a lot of fluff of resource gathering

when you create the job it creates a quest mission in your quest list, did you find that and select it?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
But finding the wires to craft the arrows is such a hassle. I found myself buying them off merchants every now and then. Maybe it'll be more common later, but so far it's still kinda rare.

I have plenty of wire. The Tearblast arrow is a bigger pain since all of the sources for Echo Shells are a pain in the ass to fight.

Has anyone done the trial where you have to tie down Tramplers and remove their processors? I've tied them down and stripped them butt naked and still no progress. Same thing with the Bellowback trial.

X-Frame

Holy shit, doing my first Cauldron as a Level 12 on Very Hard difficulty was nerve racking as hell.

I'm having flashbacks of FFX and straying too far from save spheres in this game.

i got it and it wasn't any better than my first bow. it had cool looking electric arrows but it wasn't as good at killing shit.

i should note that I'm doing 90% of the combat by running up on dudes and doing heavy melee attacks.
Hmm yea I know it is weaker than the hunter bow but I wanted to get rid of the sling for elemental damage

Can't for the life of me get a bellowback heart to drop. Been farming a spawn for about an hour now. Really want that heavy silent armor :(

Jhn

I haven't done any cauldrons and I am level 20 o_O

I must have missed something. I know she kept saying I needed to find something to learn how to hack more machines but nothing became clear. Are they just on my map?

Yeah, I'm confused about this too.

KorrZ

I've now spent 8 hours with the game and it's one of those games that makes you feel justified just in owning a ps4 lol.

It's just stunningly beautiful at every turn. The story and writing are intriguing far beyond what I ever expected from GG. Even the combat has grown on me once I got out into the open world and expanded my arsenal a bit. What a fantastic year for video games.

G-Bus

Banned
Also if the robots seem like bullet sponges to you, you aren't using your whole arsenal, or even using them incorrectly.

Make sure you take advantage of their weaknesses, and try to hit their weak points.

I often find myself pausing to the inventory and reading the bestiary while fighting to get more info on them.

This is great advice and I'm not sure why I've neglected doing it.

Nice to see I'm not the only that struggled with that first Cauldron. I was level 15 I think. Died a lot in that bellowback fight.

Anyone seen any actually differences/consequences from their dialogue choices other than a few potential dialogue changes down the line?

So far it doesn't seem like the head/heart/fist decisions really amount to much

I read in a trophy guide (beware of potential spoilers) that you should always choose the Heart response throughout the game if you want to unlock the trophy for getting all optional allies. So I'm guessing some of the characters can be locked out if you piss them off with the brain/fist responses.

anddo0

Man this game really does a number on your PS4.. I haven't heard my Pro's fan until now. I bought the game digital version, and you can really hear the fans working. It's not jet engine loud, not even the fans top level; but noticeable when there is no game sound.

hbkdx12

Yeah, I'm confused about this too.

They look like blue upside down V's on your map. Should be pretty easy to find as the only other blue icons are bandit camps (skull) and the hunting trials (bow and arrow)

I read in a trophy guide (beware of potential spoilers) that you should always choose the Heart response throughout the game if you want to unlock the trophy for getting all optional allies. So I'm guessing some of the characters can be locked out if you piss them off with the brain/fist responses.

Awesome. Thanks

Moonkeis

I can definitely see myself getting hooked and I'm only 2 hours in. The game looks great on the OG PS4 for those who don't plan on upgrading right away.

This is great advice and I'm not sure why I've neglected doing it.

Nice to see I'm not the only that struggled with that first Cauldron. I was level 15 I think. Died a lot in that bellowback fight.

Here's a tip with dealing with that bellow back fight:

Use the ice bombs with the sling to freeze it, that deals extra damage when you attack it while it's frozen. Also try and hit its green spots often and it will explode dealing it a lot of damage.

It will become slower too while frozen so that helps, a lot.

Any idea how to get the metal flower close to
rost's grave

You cannot get there by Rost's house, you have to use the long way round :)

It will be on top of a mountain where have to climb up to. Worth it though, has one of the best vistas to take photos in the game. The texture on the murals are incredible.

Man this game really does a number on your PS4.. I haven't heard my Pro's fan until now. I bought the game digital version, and you can really hear the fans working. It's not jet engine loud, not even the fans top level; but noticeable when there is no game sound.

You can hear the fans whenever you browsing the map, weird tho

anddo0

Here's a tip with dealing with that bellow back fight:

Use the ice bombs with the sling to freeze it, that deals extra damage when you attack it while it's frozen. Also try and hit its green spots often and it will explode dealing it a lot of damage.

It will become slower too while frozen so that helps, a lot.

I'm not up to this fight yet. But I did take out one of those things out in the wild. His friends proceeded to burn my face off, but at least I know I'm ready for the fight.

You can hear the fans whenever you browsing the map, weird tho

There's background while viewing the map.
The fan isn't overpowering, but it's working more than any of game in recent memory.

TitusTroy

is there a Horizon Zero Dawn PS4 bundle available in the USA?...I read an article stating that one would be available in Europe starting on March 1st...will the same hold true for the USA?

Juraash

Just a quick question. Is it possible to return to the cabin Alloy and Rost live in? It's still really early (haven't done the proving yet) but I want to get back up there and poke around if I can.

You cannot get there by Rost's house, you have to use the long way round :)

It will be on top of a mountain where have to climb up to. Worth it though, has one of the best vistas to take photos in the game. The texture on the murals are incredible.
Do I start from the scrapper site from behind the house?

Xeteh

Jeff from Giant Bomb mentioned how he didn't want to spoil the whole "first time you climb a tower to scan the area" bit that most open world games use and I'm really glad he didn't. So fucking cool.

CHC

I just reached the
Border Fort
. Holy moly this game is BIG. Pretty amazing moment when
the clouds part and the VAST desert beyond
reveals itself. This game is quite amazing, what a pleasant surprise.

All I want to do is play this game. But I am taking my time with it. I want to look forward to playing it when I can as opposed to making it a job to play it every night.

The story, writing and Aloy are all top notch so far. I have noticed some graphical hiccups. Not sure if it's Decima or the PS4 PRO though.

Ricker

Goddamnit,I have a bad habit using the bow sometimes, I scrape the R1 button along with R2 and its causing me to roll forward or something,got to figure how to stop doing that lol...I was doing it mostly using the ropecaster in the tutorial quest to drop 3 small machines for some reason.

StoopKid

I haven't done any cauldrons and I am level 20 o_O

I must have missed something. I know she kept saying I needed to find something to learn how to hack more machines but nothing became clear. Are they just on my map?

Damn I haven't started yet and I'm scared this is gonna happen to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom