• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

ch4fx_

I made my way to one of a ruin in the opening area, but didn't really know what I was supposed to be doing/looking for.

I found a shit ton of supplies, a power cell & a metal flower.

Was I supposed to get/find anything else?

The battles in this become absolutely insane, whatever you do in the beginning is nothing compared to what you deal with later. Have barely touched the story because of all this other side stuff.

Yeah, get the slingshot quickly if you can. The ice bomb is what saved me a lot in the early areas of the game.

Also I'm glad I invested in the disarm traps skill. I've always been the type that dislike wasting my ammo away, so having the ability to pepper an area with traps and being able to pick them up if it's unused is a godsend.

jrush64

Banned
I'm really liking the game so far. Just finished the Proving
stuff but what happened after was very very predictable
to be honest.

Overall it's a solid game.

anddo0

My the Goddess protect you

It really wasn't that bad. I was underleveled when I fought it.

The game rewards you for using your tools; setting up ambushes, traps etc..
HDZ reminds me a lot of Bioshock 2 in that respect. I beat the Thunderjaw without using a single melee attack.

hydruxo

Yeah, get the slingshot quickly if you can. The ice bomb is what saved me a lot in the early areas of the game.

Also I'm glad I invested in the disarm traps skill. I've always been the type that dislike wasting my ammo away, so having the ability to pepper an area with traps and being able to pick them up if it's unused is a godsend.

Ahh so that's what that is. I didn't put two and two together when I was reading the description to realize it meant your own traps. Thought it meant other traps? And I was thinking I haven't seen any enemy ones so it seemed useless haha. Definitely going to get that skill then because there's been many times my shock traps don't get triggered in fights.

hbkdx12

The battles in this become absolutely insane, whatever you do in the beginning is nothing compared to what you deal with later. Have barely touched the story because of all this other side stuff.

What's wonderful that i feel has never really been seen in a game in my experience is that it really nails the ideology of "everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth"

When shit hits the fan against the robots, it really hits the fan and it's just an all out war until someone dies. You need to be super quick on your feet and just constantly adjusting on the fly.

Jobbs

Banned
One of my pet peeves is when a game's scenario says something is deadly or valuable or rare -- e.g., "don't face that dinosaur, he's super dangerous" or "that watcher lens is really rare!", but in gameplay terms these things aren't true.

If a character tells me a watcher lens is rare, it should be rare. It shouldn't be a common drop off an easy and common enemy. If a character tells me to prepare carefully and watch myself because a dinosaur is really dangerous, then it shouldn't be a trivial fight where I don't really have to prepare or even think.

It's a common thing for games to be guilty of -- But Horizon has been doing it quite a bit

What's wonderful that i feel has never really been seen in a game in my experience is that it really nails the ideology of "everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth"

When shit hits the fan against the robots, it really hits the fan and it's just an all out war until someone dies. You need to be super quick on your feet and just constantly adjusting on the fly.

Yup, that's what makes each fight exhilarating especially when you're dealing with 5 or 6 different types

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
The smoothness of the gameplay is truly what makes this game so special! The visuals just remind me that, no matter what people said about 'underpower", this is what the current gen is all about. And it's leaps and bounds above last gen's Open World titles.

WgDQ5Gc.gif

It's probably because I'm shit at video games but I'm playing on Easy and I'm still having a hard time with boss fights.

Study your enemy's weakness. Scan them to get info and then check it in the bestiary. After that, equip yourself with what you need and use your full arsenal. Lay traps around the area, tripwires or whatever, use your ropecaster to bring the big guys down to your level, and don't rely entirely on the bow. The early war bow shoots electric arrows, which easily debilitate most enemies, allowing for an easy critical with your spear.

Styles

Just got hit with a song of fire and ice from B
ellowbacks
and died, but I don't even care, because up until that point the fight was spectacular.

Jamaro85

Been looking around for an ancient vessel (first time doing this) for like ten minutes now, this is ridiculous. Literally have no idea what I'm even looking out for. Think I might start avoid these collectible types as their feeling like a waste of time right now.

Edit: This is the Arches one by Devil's Canyon, finally found it after looking at a YouTube video. I'll keep trying them in hopes that they aren't all this difficult to locate.

gow3isben

Hey guys can you override multiple machines at the same time? In the impressions thread I was under the impression that many machines fight each other which makes combat encounters incredibly hectic, but so far all I have experienced is them teaming up against me and the one machine I can override. I am still early on, just beat Sigma.

FiraB

Banned
Been looking around for an ancient vessel (first time doing this) for like ten minutes now, this is ridiculous. Literally have no idea what I'm even looking out for. Think I might start avoid these collectible types as their feeling like a waste of time right now.
Look for wastepiles with a purple loot icon.

tmac456

buy the map

FiraB

Banned
I can now override a thunderjaw....Muhahaha I recall seeing two together in the desert..It's time
Beat one earlier on very hard, took forever to bait into my trap and then when I did it was still at half hp with most its armor blown off. Getting rid of that disc launcher on top is key of survival as that thing is insanely powerful even when you have the advantage, one mistake and your dead.

Zakkath

Tutorial Ropecaster quest bugged for anyone else ? I used on many striders, watchers and grazers and none of them registered.

I trust you Gaf. I'm not a fan of big Ubisofty open worlds that are just collection-fests and a bunch of capturable outposts. In fact, aimless walking around usually makes me motion sick for some reason. I'm usually into this sorta stuff for the story.

Should I bother with this?

Trouble

Banned
Coming into this I was expecting cauldrons to be similar scope and size as the tombs in the new Tomb Raider games. I couldn't be more happy to be completely wrong.

You actually need the quest to be active.

I have done exactly one tutorial for that reason. What the hell were they thinking?

Mesharey

I trust you Gaf. I'm not a fan of big Ubisofty open worlds that are just collection-fests and a bunch of capturable outposts. In fact, aimless walking around usually makes me motion sick for some reason. I'm usually into this sorta stuff for the story.

I'm mostly doing story missions, and it's amazing.

tmac456

I mean, I'm at the site and [thought] I explored the entire shaded area. Apparently this one wasn't
in the ruin where you'd think it would be.

gotcha. i haven't done any searching for those yet, but decided to buy the all those maps from a trader. hopefully they'll come in handy later

cheesekao

Have you played any open world game where you didn't get motion sickness? You have to move and dodge a lot in this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom