• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
is there a consensus on how long it is, more or less. Like playing on normal, doing a fair bit of exploration and sidequests, but maybe not going for 100% completion.

25+ hours I take it?

edit: seems Im way off and its more like at least 40+?

NightOnyx

What are people doing with HUD settings? Default feels a bit noisy, especially with checklists etc on the left. But I don't want to miss important stuff

It took me ages to understand how the dpad works. I didn't press left/right for ages because it auto equipped health potion there and I thought it would trigger it..

I have everything set to dynamic. I like having it all off most of the time because the game is so beautiful and I don't want the HUD blocking anything. It's super easy to just touch the touchpad to bring the HUD up at any point, so even things like the compass are very easy to bring up for a few seconds if you're needing it. Then obviously when you get into fights, the whole HUD will stay on since it's important to have until you're done.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Fuuuuuck I think I lost my save file. My son started his game tonight and we share a PSN account and his auto saves overrote mine. Cant find my game save anywhere. 9 hours in. Guess I should have been using manual save. So bummed. Make sure you're using Manuel saves guys :(

Loudninja

is there a consensus on how long it is, more or less. Like playing on normal, doing a fair bit of exploration and sidequests, but maybe not going for 100% completion.

25+ hours I take it?

Yeah 40 atleast.

Ran into my first Thunderjaw. Holy shit! This thing is like a T-Rex crossed with Iron Man.

I tried my rope caster, put maybe 7 tethers on it and it ripped them shits off like it was nothing.

FeD.nL

25+ hours I take it?

Yeah more like 40+. I only did the main quest and that took me 21 hours on Hard and have 35% completion.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
thank you sirs, might have to break the piggy bank for this, the fact it would last me a long time is a deal...err...whats the opposite of a "deal breaker" lol. Length is up there as my number one priority with games these days. Sure the fact that the game seems great is also important (lol) but if it was the same game and it was 8 hours I wouldnt even consider it.

hbkdx12

I know it's been said before but +1 for all the representation for people of color. I like that they all have really good features, skin tones and complexions.

Fuuuuuck I think I lost my save file. My son started his game tonight and we share a PSN account and his auto saves overrote mine. Cant find my game save anywhere. 9 hours in. Guess I should have been using manual save. So bummed. Make sure you're using Manuel saves guys :(
Damn, that's unfortunate. Maybe your save was uploaded to the cloud?

Time to cast him out and never speak to him again.

Quick save works so fast in this game, i often have to quick save twice to make sure I saved.

kyser73

Ok, I'm not playing this tonight as I can't face another day at work with only 4 hours sleep.

I've just combined the first tallneck with War chief with the wllowbark juice quest/tasks. This game manages to make them all interlink easily so the new real run of play becomes a contiguous whole.

But I need to get some sleep.

hydruxo

What are people doing with HUD settings? Default feels a bit noisy, especially with checklists etc on the left. But I don't want to miss important stuff

It took me ages to understand how the dpad works. I didn't press left/right for ages because it auto equipped health potion there and I thought it would trigger it..

Dynamic for everything

CHC

I love how you can follow up on certain completed quests even though they're marked as completed in your log. Like, just check up on things after the fact. It's cool.

Lot of little details in this game, you can really tell it was a passion project.

Maaaaan played the game for another three hours tonight despite telling myself I'd only play it for one...now I'm super tired and am gonna be screwed for work tomorrow. Totally worth it though. Finished The Proving and the stuff that comes shortly thereafter - comments on what happens after The Proving in spoilers:

The Corruptor fight was intense. Didn't seem like my fire arrows were doing a lot of damage to its weak points and never got one to pop off the entire fight. Was I not supposed to be able to or was I just misreading things?

I love everything about this world. Story's starting to pick up and I'm really curious where it's headed.

CHC

Man the writing is so good on the text logs and parchment scrolls you find!

I also love how you are led to believe that (not a major / ending spoiler just a minor thing)
that the world is all caveman-era tech but it's actually more like Iron age / medieval, and your tribe is basically just a bunch of fearful, isolated luddites.

Just got my limited edition and played for 2 hours. It really is amazing looking game.

Mini artbook on the other hand is rather meh.

Anyone has picture of Horizon dynamic theme because I don't know if I should use DLC code.

Just finished it at around 50 hours (I've had it since Saturday). Really amazing game. The combat is tense and strategic on higher difficulties, the world is massive and beautiful, and it's easily the best looking game I've ever played so far.
This is also the first open world game where I actually cared about the story and wanted to know what happens next, as opposed to feeling like "well I guess I've exhausted the side quests so time to continue the main quest".

Kudos, GG. Looking forward to the announcement of Horizon 2: First Dusk. :p

hbkdx12

OK, wtf

Met my first rockbreaker. Easily the hardest thing i've had to deal with 1v1 and i've already killed a thunderjaw.

What is the secret for these guys? I know it says they're weak to freeze which i used but even then they'd only be above ground occasionally for me to get some good hits in.

I know there's a corrupted zone with like 3 of these things and now im dreading having to deal with it.

Just played 5-6 hours straight and didnt want to stop. Prob already put in 20-some hours in

My PS4 purchse is FINALLY now justified in my book, holy shit this game is good. Not even Uncharted 4 or MGSV was this fun.

I finally have fun playing an open world game after a long time (MGSV and GTAV were really good too but this is on another level)...thank you based GG

OK, wtf

Met my first rockbreaker. Easily the hardest thing i've had to deal with 1v1 and i've already killed a thunderjaw.

What is the secret for these guys? I know it says they're weak to freeze which i used but even then they'd only be above ground occasionally for me to get some good hits in.

I know there's a corrupted zone with like 3 of these things and now im dreading having to deal with it.

Freeze is good but be quite, it senses your movement.

BeeDog

Quite telling when I'm at work early and my mind can only focus on passing the day as fast as humanly possible so I can go home and play Horizon. Has been quite a while since a game did this to me.

spekkeh

Banned
This game is great. It turned my OG PS4 into a PS4Pro and I only needed to buy the game.

Fucking wizardry.

Like I have a GTX1080 at work, and this trumps everything I threw at it in terms of the feeling you get out of it.

gow3isben

If I absolutely had to pick I would say Uncharted 4 at its best does look better. Just revisit the Island scene with Sam on your boat and some of the later pirate Island stages. The Order has better textures I would say as well. But Horizon does come damn close and it is OPEN WORLD. What a technical marvel. Overall it is the most technologically impressive game out there by FAR.

OK, wtf

Destroy the hands and legs so they can't dig anymore.

Try going headfirst after alligator-bot and we can all guess how that went.

J96LjiM.png

Oh well, maybe next time.

drac96

I am level 15 now and doing quests around that level. I almost exclusively use melee now, because the bow seems to be doing around three damage to most enemies. This seemed to happen suddenly. To be fair I am still using the original bow with some mods.

Should I be looking for new bows at every trader? Am I expecting too much from the bow, or am I supposed to pump a million arrows into each machine?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Should I be looking for new bows at every trader? Am I expecting too much from the bow, or am I supposed to pump a million arrows into each machine?
There are skills which lets you shoot 2 or 3 arrows. But yeah, have to hit the weakpoint or it takes forever. I'm only level 13 right now though.

cheesekao

I am level 15 now and doing quests around that level. I almost exclusively use melee now, because the bow seems to be doing around three damage to most enemies. This seemed to happen suddenly. To be fair I am still using the original bow with some mods.

Regular arrows seem pretty bleh. The special arrows are pretty good. Fire arrow do good DOT damage, pierce arrows do excellent damage against weak-spots, tearblast arrows remove armor, etc. You should also aim for weakspots and not simply shoot wherever.

Ferr986

Just to be sure, the less gathered items in Hard only affects healing herbs, right? Or things like wood are also included?

Bows are generally divided into damage dealing and status effects. The starting bows are the later, it's good for setting enemies on fire, but its damage is pretty weak. Get a sharpshooter bow if you want to see real damage out of your bow.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.

You're most likely hitting the armor plating. Keep hitting that to knock it off and create larger weak spots.

Aim for components (highlighted parts) and attack them with what they're weak against.

Exploit weaknesses with the tripcaster/sling.

Melee is not really meant to be a main course of action.

I'm just curious, for those a solid 20-30+ hours in. What outfit have you been using?

I can't seem to fathom which to get it. I'm 30 hours in myself, and still using the Rare (Blue) stealth pre-order outfit.

shmoglish

Use dynamic. Touching (not push) the Touchpad lets all the checklists etc reappear

23 hrs in, 50 % completion, only 9 main missions done. I said I was gonna focus on story, but I spent all day basically chasing other things, I reached level 34. Although I still have like 10 sidequests and 1 errand on my list I think it's about time I move the story along, but damn I've had a blast finding new machines and doing this side stuff.

drotahorror

What's the deal with shooting the Sawtooth's canister on it's belly? I can never get a shot at it in a fight, and stunning them, they lay down on their belly and you can't shoot it?

Where are you all seeing timed played at?

They dont do anything. Only like 5 dps. I think the Thorn from Destiny does more damn than them damn arrows.

Plus I can't even get the drop on it cause the fucking sawtooth chases me like your neighbors who doesnt put his dog on a leash.

It has two canisters near its tail, hit them with regular arrows to expose them and shoot a fire arrow into it, there will be a huge explosion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom