• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try going headfirst after alligator-bot and we can all guess how that went.

J96LjiM.png

Oh well, maybe next time.

1 well aimed fire arrow will blow a canister on its back. You've got 2 to work with. If it's still alive (depends on difficulty) you can just set them on fire using arrows and let the damage over time do the rest

They dont do anything. Only like 5 dps. I think the Thorn from Destiny does more damn than them damn arrows.

Plus I can't even get the drop on it cause the fucking sawtooth chases me like your neighbors who doesnt put his dog on a leash.

The individual arrows don't do much. You need to keep shooting to fill up the status effect then the dot does 40 or so per tick

first cauldron sigma

started out weird as fuck
then i get to the end
I was so unprepared, so very unprepared
it was a fun clusterfuck, i wasted a lot of stuff on it

at first i thought the shellwaker on it was a bit of a challenge, but then the bellowback was RELENTLESS, WOULDNT STOP ATTACKING ME

level 8 YA FUCKING RIGHT

Yep, shit was intense as hell

level1

They dont do anything. Only like 5 dps. I think the Thorn from Destiny does more damn than them damn arrows.

Plus I can't even get the drop on it cause the fucking sawtooth chases me like your neighbors who doesnt put his dog on a leash.

You aim the first fire arrow at the canister on his back (while still in hiding). This will immediately take off a large chunk of health. After that, notice that with each fire arrow (these can hit anywhere, not just weak points) a small circular gauge with a fire icon in it appears to gradually fill up. Once full, DoT will increase to around 25-40 for a set period of time.

The damage comes from the DOT and part explosions, not the hit themselves.

It has two canisters near its tail, hit them with regular arrows to expose them and shoot a fire arrow into it, there will be a huge explosion

1 well aimed fire arrow will blow a canister on its back. You've got 2 to work with. If it's still alive (depends on difficulty) you can just set them on fire using arrows and let the damage over time do the rest

The individual arrows don't do much. You need to keep shooting to fill up the status effect then the dot does 40 or so per tick

You aim the first fire arrow at the canister on his back (while still in hiding). This will immediately take off a large chunk of health. After that, notice that with each fire arrow (these can hit anywhere, not just weak points) a small circular gauge with a fire icon in it appears to gradually fill up. Once full, DoT will increase to around 25-40 for a set period of time.

PKoUlut.png

How did I even make it this far... I couldnt tell what those yellow parts being highlighted really meant.

What about the sawtooth? At one point I had the croco-bot on the ropes and Sawtooth promptly turned my into a iHop kids meal pancake.

JawzPause

Actually getting a bit of a souls/Bloodborne vibe from the gameplay, mainly due to the quick rolling. Loving it so far.

I noticed that changing weapons can only be done by holding L1, not sure why they didn't think to quickly switch to your previous weapon by just tapping L1.

Currently tapping L1 does nothing, a bit of a waste

Oh man a whole day of work ahead before I can get back into this.
I haven't had this feeling in a while.

One thing I was worried about was the ambient soundtrack but so far the exploration music has been fantastic variations of the Main theme, really helps with the immersion like TW3 did.

The combat music as well has shades of Killzone especially KZ Shadowfall, giving me them
sci-fi futuristic vibes I love.

dreamfall

Tallnecks in all their majesty! That over ride felt like scaling my first tower in Assassin's Creed but a million times cooler.

This game. Goodness!

rec0ded1

Took down a pack of watchers, saw tooth, and those fire bellows like they weren't shit hectic as hell. Those critical hits and knockdowns are so damn satisfying. Make you feel like a total badass.

Kin5290

Try going headfirst after alligator-bot and we can all guess how that went.

J96LjiM.png

Oh well, maybe next time.
I went after 3 on an island because what the hell. Lit one on fire, then shot the blaze canister on its head with a fire arrow as it was flailing around, that then blew up and set another on fire, rinse and repeat. Only had to dodge once. Easy as pie.

This is on Hard difficulty.

Turns out, there are a lot of very scary robots that don't take too well to being set on fire.

Loudninja

OléGunner;231311780 said:
Oh man a whole day of work ahead before I can get back into this.
I haven't had this feeling in a while.

One thing I was worried about was the ambient soundtrack but so far the exploration music has been fantastic variations of the Main theme, really helps with the immersion like TW3 did.

The combat music as well has shades of Killzone especially KZ Shadowfall, giving me them
sci-fi futuristic vibes I love.
Yeah the music is really nice.

Just as a tip to everyone, buy a bow that shoots Tear Arrows, it removes armor much more efficiently then the normal arrows do, instead of hitting a spot like 4-6 times to tear their plating off.

iFirez

What level were people when they moved into the more desert area? I'm 16 and am grinding metal for gear right now. The couldron was amazing. I went north west too and went into a crazy awesome snowy area - found another bunker but I have no idea how to get in there.

EGM1966

Whelp really loving it so far.

The narrative is actually very well executed and the core plot moves along well and has nice surprises as it goes. Very impressed so far particularly in an open world game.

Speaking of which the world is fantastic place and technically amazing well delivered. Love the nature/machine contrast and the sense it's a cohesive place: this is a world that's seems to have sensibly evolved to where it is.

Combat is excellent with surprising strategic depth if you want to exploit it: or you can just hammer away and brute force through. I find the ability to play in different styles well presented and shows real effort to balance the game vs skewing to one "right" style.

Characters are good and as others have noted great variety of race. I like how they haven't tried to make everyone attractive.

The game has exceeded my expectations thus far. With good word of mouth and good reviews I'm sure GG has a deserved hit on their hands here.

Kin5290

What level were people when they moved into the more desert area? I'm 16 and am grinding metal for gear right now. The couldron was amazing. I went north west too and went into a crazy awesome snowy area - found another bunker but I have no idea how to get in there.
I'm level 25. I finally bought the rattler because I was swimming in shards, and it turns out it's pretty fun storming a bandit camp in a frontal assault and mowing bandits down with your stone-age MP5.

Finished the main story off at 35 hours played and still have 33% game completion left (hype!). The main story is so goddamn well done. They really nail everything about it. I love this game so much, holy cow.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional

Also, the damage over time increases the more hits you land. Pump 3-4 in and watch the damage ramp up.

Also, buy the snapshot bow. It has precision point arrows that are both more accurate and more powerful.

The sawtooth is aggressive but light him up with a fast succession of fire arrows and then put precision shots between his eyes. These will cause him to stumble or even stun him. Onxe stunned criticals will deal hide damage.

Finally crank up your hunter bow with fire coils to get extra burn from the fire.

I went after 3 on an island because what the hell. Lit one on fire, then shot the blaze canister on its head with a fire arrow as it was flailing around, that then blew up and set another on fire, rinse and repeat. Only had to dodge once. Easy as pie.

This is on Hard difficulty.

Turns out, there are a lot of very scary robots that don't take too well to being set on fire.
Also, the damage over time increases the more hits you land. Pump 3-4 in and watch the damage ramp up.

Also, buy the snapshot bow. It has precision point arrows that are both more accurate and more powerful.

The sawtooth is aggressive but light him up with a fast succession of fire arrows and then put precision shots between his eyes. These will cause him to stumble or even stun him. Onxe stunned criticals will deal hide damage.

Finally crank up your hunter bow with fire coils to get extra burn from the fire.

PKoUlut.png

I'm doing hard as well.

I'm probably going to practice some wildbots because I've just being aiming at the head and if that dont work go caveman ape-shit on them.

But I can't fuck with the rhino-bots, spider-bots, bird-bots and ostrich-bots and just about every other bot taller than Aloy (except them dumb eye-bots and horse-bots).

I did start using them purple arrows to rid the armor but sometimes I dont have enough time to get it all off before their 1HKO attacks.

KZObsessed

The intro to this game is quite brilliant. First cutscene sets up the characters, first gameplay section is something you don't expect and sets up the mystery of how the world is how it is. Then you've got your standard tutorial section to set up the basic mechanics and then it lets you out to experience the world as it is now.

The way Aloy controls is so fun, the combat is great and looting the robots is addictive. And the game is obviously gorgeous. Wish I was playing it on a Pro tho!

Looking forward to the "Proving" and for the game to open up fully. But for now, going to work 😐

Zen Aku

So this is how Lara Croft supposed to feel like with a bow and arrows in Tomb Raiders game.

Never felt so satisfying playing with a bow and arrows before.

So this is how Lara Croft supposed to feel like with a bow and arrows in Tomb Raiders game.

Never felt so satisfying playing with a bow and arrows before.

One thing I prefer it TR games is being about to pick up arrows that havent been broken on impact after firing them. Other than that they don't feel too different IMO. But, its been awhile since I played TR (X1) so perhaps.

I'm a sucker for bow & arrow.

Sai-kun

Banned
Hoooooly shit I totally called (game location spoiler)
part of the map being Denver and the area outside of it. I knew as soon as I got to the fucking red rocks amphitheater!

I am so pleased with myself 🤤 I wanna know when other people knew

PKoUlut.png

I'm doing hard as well.

I'm probably going to practice some wildbots because I've just being aiming at the head and if that dont work go caveman ape-shit on them.

But I can't fuck with the rhino-bots, spider-bots, bird-bots and ostrich-bots and just about every other bot taller than Aloy (except them dumb eye-bots and horse-bots).

I did start using them purple arrows to rid the armor but sometimes I dont have enough time to get it all off before their 1HKO attacks.

Upgrade the precision skill and remember to slide and roll to cover more ground while dodging.

I think I just figured out the gameplay so I'm enjoying it a lot more had a bit of a rough go at the first few hours. Using a lot more of the non projectile stuff seems key. Also not doing a critical hit on a downed enemy otherwise they immediately get back up lol.

Upgrade the precision skill and remember to slide and roll to cover more ground while dodging.

7UbA2rd.png

At least this one I felt like it wasn't too hard to get to. Hell, I
even killed the sawtooth in the second room (or wherever) and just made my way through after all the other bots went about their business.

Do I need any of them purple bows? I have the purple hunters & slinger but I can't find the parts for the others.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I just hit level 17 and am blown away already. Just love the storytelling in the beginning, great looking cutscenes and lots of world building without getting too overbearing. short, sweet and straight to the point. this is the best storytelling i've seen a game since Mass Effect 1 which is crazy considering these are the guys that gave us KZ2 and KZ3. lol I guess it pays to hire Witcher 3 and Fallout New Vegas writers.

The graphics are CGi quality at times. the character models look absolutely stunning and the world has so much foliage i am flabbergasted tbh. then there is lighting. wow. i am playing this on my 4k HDR tv and it looks better than real life. it's vibrant, the colors just pop out of the screen and everything just looks alive for a lack of a better term. i cant stop taking screenshots. i turned off the hdr for a minute and everything looked so washed out i immediately turned it back on. buy a pro people.

This is the best thing sony has produced this gen and that includes Bloodborne. there is already a lot of variety and i can tell the story wont be a straightforward affair. the writing is top notch and aloy is a breath of fresh air. she's a no nonsense, straight shooter who doesnt let anyone fuck with her. rockstar could learn a thing or two about writing from this game.

it would be criminal not to post screenshots from this game. it's easily the best looking game ever made and just saying that feels like an understatement. it looks better than the best hollywood movies.

C55MZBjWcAAYDaa.jpg

C55MtZAWQAA5PI-.jpg

This looks better than those Skyrim with 100 mods screenshots. it plays better than anything else out there. this is next gen.

TedMilk

This game is TOTALLY Rise of the Tomb Raider crossed with MGSV, and I love it for it. Similarities to both:

Rise of the Tomb Raider:
Female protagonist
Save at bonfires
Focus on bow & arrow, but guns also in the game
Hide in tall grass
Hair tech!
'Jump from high place > OHKO/Stealth OHKO' moves

MGSV:
Mounts with horsecall move
Gorgeous open world and steady framerate
Solid controls
Collect different plants
Fight - and control - robots!

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
After Proving spoiler (also reveals a very cool system, so spoiler there too):

Going to Rost's grave is awesome. She tells herself the story so far and what her current objective is all properly contextualized. This is great if you stopped playing for a few weeks and don't know what's going on and the context for it all.

Dany

Banned
Can you miss side quests? Or are most NPC's in towns and along the roads?

Level 18 heading to
Meridian
. I bought the map that showed rare metal flowers and cups, but idk if I'm expected to find those asap or I can leisure my way to them.

zashga

Just got started with this tonight, and I gotta say... this game is gorgeous, even on a regular PS4. Game-wise I'm still very early; just got through the early tutorial stuff and did my first side quest. Looking forward to getting out in the open world and seeing what's out there.

Slaythe

This game is TOTALLY Rise of the Tomb Raider crossed with MGSV, and I love it for it. Similarities to both:

Rise of the Tomb Raider:
Female protagonist
Save at bonfires
Focus on bow & arrow, but guns also in the game
Hide in tall grass
Hair tech!
'Jump from high place > OHKO/Stealth OHKO' moves

MGSV:
Mounts with horsecall move
Gorgeous open world and steady framerate
Solid controls
Collect different plants
Fight - and control - robots!

On top of that, add a cool dialogue system, great skill tree that don't feel like you waste points into useless stuff, and mind blowing art direction :p .

I have a question, is there a new game + ? Debating trying to max out the tree or not.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I'm strolling through the woods

Roll up on a patrol

MOTHERFUCKING 4 Sawtooths!
All just circling and covering each others backs

I target all 4, see their routes
Pick one that goes a little off to the side by himself

My new Pet RoboKitty, I unleash
I watch as it takes on all 3, massacres them
Has half health left!
Just as it finishes, it rolls into another patrol of 4 Scavengers and 3 Watchers
It takes out all Scavengers and 2 Watchers before dying an honorable death to a Watcher who backstab plunged it

I then pulled out arrow and pew pew'd it right in its eye for killing my Kitty

So much loot around me, took like 3+ minutes collecting and backtracking to all the ribos laid waste

My goodness this game is awesome!

Also I can Override the Broadheads as my Helper to take me places
I got off one and Watchers were around the corner, MY FUCKING GOODNESS, my Broadheas just wrecked shop

There better than Striders, only thing that fucks them up real bad real quick are Firebellows, yeesh, 3 hits and they gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom