• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fliesen

This is a fantastic game, i'm having a great time ...

it's really telling that it's an open world / crafting / hunting / free roam game and i don't have an earphone in my ear listening to podcasts to pass the time. Also, i'm clicking at every. single. conversation. path.

I did the hunting trials - the "log pile" one - tonight and was initially worried it would be a huge hassle ...
well, then that happened.
https://youtu.be/QUfEp6BYQnU

Oh, also, why are the digital deluxe outfits so god damn ugly?

valkyre

This game does something that no other game that I have played does it at this extent.

You feel like everything you do has an impact in this world, that news spread of your adventures and that each thing you do is leaving a mark.

There has been numerous times where I have returned to complete a side quest to the person that gave it to me , while at the same time i completed a main mission, and that person thanked me not just for doing his thing,but mentioned my accomplishement of the main mission i just completed.

Same thing goes with traders, they will mention how you are helping the villagers doing their things and completing main quests.

Its absolutely great and I applaud Guerilla for taking the time to record so many lines that 90% of the people wont ever hear about.

The world really feels alive.

Just got the precision bow thing before hitting up the first bandit camp with Nil, this thing really seems like the opposite of precision, it's just completely whiffing on guys not very far away when I'm scoped in and made the whole thing very frustrating.

JamboGT

played four hours last night, game looks and controls amazingly well, feels so good. Story has its hooks in as well.

One question, am playing on a Pro with a 1080 set, is there any reason at all to go to the other performance mode, framerate seems fine but are there any graphical improvements that make it worthwhile? Looks amazing as is!

This game is insanely good.

Played for about five hours last night and had to tear myself away, I felt like a kid again - not wanting to go to sleep and just play video games - and it was wonderful. There's such attention to detail and intrigue woven into this world. Being a new IP adds to this, I feel. The combat is great but this is Guerrilla so we knew it would be but the areas which I was concerned about (the story, mostly) are strong as well.

I think this will most likely go down as one of 'the' new IPs of this generation, something it feels as though we've been lacking.

Coxy100

Banned
anyone that suffers with an aeroplane PS4 (the fan) with some games...

How does Horizon fare? I'm yet to start it but dreading if its loud.

danowat

Banned
One question, am playing on a Pro with a 1080 set, is there any reason at all to go to the other performance mode, framerate seems fine but are there any graphical improvements that make it worthwhile? Looks amazing as is!

No, It appears, that on a 1080 set, the game looks better in performance mode, than it does in resolution mode.

Not a whirring fan no, but my Pro does make some weird droning noises when playing HZD, which doesn't happen on any other game.

Fliesen

it's the loudest my PS4 pro has ever been - but it's absolutely bearable.
In scripted scenes moreso than during gameplay, btw.

certainly not as loud as my OG PS4 was when playing Uncharted 4.

JamboGT

No, It appears, that on a 1080 set, the game looks better in performance mode, than it does in resolution mode.

Not a whirring fan no, but my Pro does make some weird droning noises when playing HZD, which doesn't happen on any other game.

Oh ok cool, will switch tonight then, thought the supersampling would be better than anything performance mode added but that is great to know :)

zkorejo

This game is TOTALLY Rise of the Tomb Raider crossed with MGSV, and I love it for it. Similarities to both:

MGSV:
Mounts with horsecall move
Gorgeous open world and steady framerate
Solid controls
Collect different plants
Fight - and control - robots!

I really REALLY wish there was a stealth ride option like mgsv. It would have been a perfect fit for this game. Esp when you dont want to engage the enemies and just pass through them.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
Man I am seriously blind when it comes to looking for ancient vessels. Any tips to speed up the search?

Look in the general area (buy the map if you haven't) with your focus for an ancient debris pile. It should have the purple loot text when you get close. Loot it, enjoy your mug.

zkorejo

Look in the general area (buy the map if you haven't) with your focus for an ancient debris pile. It should have the purple loot text when you get close. Loot it, enjoy your mug.

I have been meaning to ask, what can we do with the ancient loot? Sell it or keep it for crafting something?

Also, what's the best thing to sell to traders to get some shards? I keep selling blaze because I have tons of it.

Floody

Not terribly far in yet, but so far been really impressed by the facial animations and VA, they're a little glitchy with their eyes at times, but for the most part been great.

Man I am seriously blind when it comes to looking for ancient vessels. Any tips to speed up the search?

I just go to the highest point and Witcher sense (can't remember it's name) through everything until I see it, been working so far.

I have been meaning to ask, what can we do with the ancient loot? Sell it or keep it for crafting something?

Also, what's the best thing to sell to traders to get some shards? I keep selling blaze because I have tons of it.
If it only says sell to merchants as its uses then you're good to go

Dany

Banned

Blaze is for fire arrows and fire trip mines. You don't use that?! I use it more than regular arrows.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
Once you get a set, all the vessels/flowers etc in an area there are special merchants in
meridian
you can trade to. Only done the deer statues so far but it was just reward crates with better stuff in it. No gear/weapons so far, but the others take more time so maybe? I dunno.

There's also a vendor with rare robo parts for those farming certain guys to get parts for weapons/outfits. Expensive though.

Just completed it. 21 hours. What a freaking master piece of a game There's still so so so SOOOOOOOO much to do. I Stopped side questing and went straight for the story because, well, Zelda. I had to beat this before Friday just to make sure I don't get spoiled by something. This is the best game hands down on the ps4. It has it all. Gameplay, graphics, story, sound everything is stellar. The only thing I don't like are the human enemies. They were pretty standard, which in a game this good sticks out like a sore thumb with how basic they behave.

One other thing,
Final Boss SPOILER !!!!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT CLICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just have a strong opinion about something:
The one other gripe I had with the game is how you dont get to fight hades!!!wtf, its so whack that the final boss is just a super version of the things youve fought already. I thought for certain I'd get to fight the sphere with its tentacles or something. I was very let down by that.

RankFTW

Unconfirmed Member
Here's a pre-order dlc code for Horizon that Amazon UK sent me.

UK only probably.

TMQJ-23NG-79EN
Say if you get it so I can edit.

CoolOff

One other thing,
Final Boss SPOILER !!!!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT CLICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just have a strong opinion about something:
The one other gripe I had with the game is how you dont get to fight hades!!!wtf, its so whack that the final boss is just a super version of the things youve fought already. I thought for certain I'd get to fight the sphere with its tentacles or something. I was very let down by that.

Mentioned this in the spoiler thread, and I completely agree.

zulux21

huh... I didn't realize Aloy was voiced by Ashly Burch aka tiny tina from borderlands :p

edit: hehe Avad is spyro from the skylanders games :p

valkyre

The lighting in this game does somethng that I havent seen many games do (actually i dont remember any doing it).

Aloy's model is lit exceptionally under all circumstances even when facing your back to the sun.

I really would love a tech savy guy to explain this to me, cause even games with incredible lighting, seem to always have this "problem" that when you have the sun on the side or the back of the model and you look at the face, it kinda looks weirdly lit. Not realistic at all.

This happens to UC4 as well, i dont know how to properly explain it, but if you place Drake with his back on the sun , or his sides and you look at his face, the lighting looks crappy.

Not in Horizon though, this is really looking absolutely phenomenal the entire time. Aloy really feels like a CG lit character under all circumstances... incredible.

Staf

God damnit. I want to be home and playing Horizon. Instead i'm here at work like a sucker. And it also being a gym day i won't be playing more than max an hour tonight...

Horizon really is one of the very few games of each console generation that reminds me why I play video games.

This game is insanely good.

Played for about five hours last night and had to tear myself away, I felt like a kid again - not wanting to go to sleep and just play video games - and it was wonderful. There's such attention to detail and intrigue woven into this world. Being a new IP adds to this, I feel. The combat is great but this is Guerrilla so we knew it would be but the areas which I was concerned about (the story, mostly) are strong as well.

I think this will most likely go down as one of 'the' new IPs of this generation, something it feels as though we've been lacking.
Yes!! Horizon is something truly special. It's rare that I'll buy a game and constantly check the OT just because I want to talk about it all the time.

Played for a few hours today and got to explore the areas after the embrace. This game is so fucking big! It's incredible. And god I love the music in this. So beautiful.

iosa

God damnit. I want to be home and playing Horizon. Instead i'm here at work like a sucker. And it also being a gym day i won't be playing more than max an hour tonight...

I feel you. I'll receive my game today but won't be able to launch it before tomorrow night. I shouldn't read this thread but I can't stop.

jdstorm

Banned

For me. Slightly less loud then Rise of the Tomb Raider. For whatever thats worth.

I dread to think of how loud it would be if i hadnt replaced the thermal paste.

vivekTO

I just hit level 17 and am blown away already. Just love the storytelling in the beginning, great looking cutscenes and lots of world building without getting too overbearing. short, sweet and straight to the point. this is the best storytelling i've seen a game since Mass Effect 1 which is crazy considering these are the guys that gave us KZ2 and KZ3. lol I guess it pays to hire Witcher 3 and Fallout New Vegas writers.

The graphics are CGi quality at times.

This is the best thing sony has produced this gen and that includes Bloodborne. there is already a lot of variety and i can tell the story wont be a straightforward affair. the writing is top notch and aloy is a breath of fresh air. she's a no nonsense, straight shooter who doesnt let anyone fuck with her. rockstar could learn a thing or two about writing from this game.

it would be criminal not to post screenshots from this game. it's easily the best looking game ever made and just saying that feels like an understatement. it looks better than the best hollywood movies.

This looks better than those Skyrim with 100 mods screenshots. it plays better than anything else out there. this is next gen.

Please , don't trick people into buying this game. Thanks.

The lighting in this game does somethng that I havent seen many games do (actually i dont remember any doing it).

Aloy's model is lit exceptionally under all circumstances even when facing your back to the sun.

I really would love a tech savy guy to explain this to me, cause even games with incredible lighting, seem to always have this "problem" that when you have the sun on the side or the back of the model and you look at the face, it kinda looks weirdly lit. Not realistic at all.

This happens to UC4 as well, i dont know how to properly explain it, but if you place Drake with his back on the sun , or his sides and you look at his face, the lighting looks crappy.

Not in Horizon though, this is really looking absolutely phenomenal the entire time. Aloy really feels like a CG lit character under all circumstances... incredible.

We may get something Regarding this in Next GDC, This year they are showing there procedural generation tech.

kriskrosbbk

Something really strange that I encountered related to the fan noise level is that on the day1 I played Horizon on my parents 4K 55" Bravia then I got home with my PRO and played it on my 1080P Bravia and the fan level was way lower.I noticed it on other games as well.
Is the PRO making more noise on 4K TVs than 1080P?

FiraB

Banned
Holyshit at carja capital, SE eat your heart out. Mindblowing stuff how amazing it looks, someone needs to link tabata that in video form to show him how it should have been done.

kriskrosbbk

The Proving part was a bit Hunger games,The maze,Avatar, Hollywood crap
but then all her friends died
and everything went back to normal.Love the game.

btuger

Neo Member
So what's the consensus on the difficulty? I do like having some challenge so I'm wondering if I should play this on normal, hard or very hard.

Are there any differences other than the usual things, such as damage dealt and received? Apparently, we get less items from looting?

martino

I just beat Sawtooth in the first nocturnal section of the game, but forgot to scan it. I assume there's a chance to do that later?

EDIT:

Question answered. =)

i killed it without the bow.
only with spear (only one hit to finish it) and traps (in very hard)

heavy hit is op.
dodge + heavy hit is what wirhlwind is in witcher 3 for common foes (with maybe a little more skill)

Does this make a quest thing even work ?
Trying to get a item so i made a quest but no marker or anything shows up even when i have it as my quest .

120v

So what's the consensus on the difficulty? I do like having some challenge so I'm wondering if I should play this on normal, hard or very hard.

Are there any differences other than the usual things, such as damage dealt and received? Apparently, we get less items from looting?

game is a lot harder for me than i anticipated. i'm sure a lot of people will chime in about how they pumped it up to very hard at the very beginning or whatever. but IMO the game doesn't fuck around... i'd definitely start with normal

Ferr986

I think less looting only affects herbs, rest is the same, but not 100% sure (asked here but no one answered :().

Started on Normal but bumped to Hard because I was steamrolling everything. You can change back whenever you want anyways. Even on Normal you can't survive much hits, that's true, but a good trap setup+lance is also OP at the starting area (I guess that will change later).

robo

played until 3.43 this morning, level13 I think, didn't check when signing off.

suffering this morning though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom