• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

cooldawn

No, It appears, that on a 1080 set, the game looks better in performance mode, than it does in resolution mode.
Sorry to do this...but is there conclusive evidence for this? Better god-rays, better weather effects, better...what?

Digital Foundry couldn't find much difference so I'm intrigued.

danowat

Banned
Sorry to do this...but is there conclusive evidence for this? Better god-rays, better weather effects, better...what?

Digital Foundry couldn't find much difference so I'm intrigued.

There are some comparison shoots a few (a lot) of pages back, the general consensus is, overall, it looks better in 1080p on performance.

Whether this is by design, or a bug / issue, is unknown.

Best thing to do, is try it for yourself and switch between the two.

btuger

Neo Member
I think less looting only affects herbs, rest is the same, but not 100% sure (asked here but no one answered :().

Started on Normal but bumped to Hard because I was steamrolling everything. You can change back whenever you want anyways. Even on Normal you can't survive much hits, that's true, but a good trap setup+lance is also OP at the starting area (I guess that will change later).

game is a lot harder for me than i anticipated. i'm sure a lot of people will chime in about how they pumped it up to very hard at the very beginning or whatever. but IMO the game doesn't fuck around... i'd definitely start with normal
Well...I like the fact enemies don't play around. Having played The Witcher 3 using bombs and potions, I do believe Hard might be what I go for. I love having to use traps to kill enemies.

If it's only herbs, it's ok, I can deal with it.

Ferr986

Well...I like the fact enemies don't play around. Having played The Witcher 3 using bombs and traps, I do believe Hard might be what I go for. I love having to use traps to kill enemies.

If it's only herbs, it's ok, I can deal with it.

To be fair, there's a shit ton of herbs around, I was always capped on herbs and there would be still more around.

Just give it a go, you can swap difficulties anytime, you don't even need to quit the game.

There are some comparison shoots a few (a lot) of pages back, the general consensus is, overall, it looks better in 1080p on performance.

I'm not sure I'll agree with that. Checkerboard mode looks a little softer but 1080p can look jaggier, mainly the foliage.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
God damnit. I want to be home and playing Horizon. Instead i'm here at work like a sucker. And it also being a gym day i won't be playing more than max an hour tonight...

Same here! Played it yesterday for the first time (Collectors Edition). I want to explore more and figure out the best ways to craft stuff. I'm happy that the rpg system isn't that dificult like those big rpg games. Everyone can play this and thats great!

I now want to see those huge dinobots like the Thunderjaw pfff.

So what's the consensus on the difficulty? I do like having some challenge so I'm wondering if I should play this on normal, hard or very hard.

Are there any differences other than the usual things, such as damage dealt and received? Apparently, we get less items from looting?
If you're the kind of player who can get frequent headshot in fps, than go ahead play the harder difficulty. For me, I'm already struggling in normal difficulty

danowat

Banned
I'm not sure I'll agree with that. Checkerboard mode looks a little softer but 1080p can look jaggier, mainly the foliage.

I'll agree with the last part of your post, but I'd imagine what is preferable is personal choice, I thought the res mode in 1080p look too soft and poorly defined, the perf mode looked much crisper and cleaner.

FWIW, I run res mode on a 4k display.

valkyre

Do we know the reason why time of date (and weather) shift so dramatically fast in the game?

It feels literally that it gets dark in 2-3 seconds, and worse thing is that sunsets and sunrises are so beautiful, but they dont last enough to appreciate them.

btuger

Neo Member
To be fair, there's a shit ton of herbs around, I was always capped on herbs and there would be still more around.

Just give it a go, you can swap difficulties anytime, you don't even need to quit the game.
If you're the kind of player who can get frequent headshot in fps, than go ahead play the harder difficulty. For me, I'm already struggling in normal difficulty
If it's possible to change change difficulty in real-time, that's perfect then. I might give "Very Hard" a try.

danowat

Banned
Do we know the reason why time of date (and weather) shift so dramatically fast in the game?

It feels literally that it gets dark in 2-3 seconds, and worse thing is that sunsets and sunrises are so beautiful, but they dont last enough to appreciate them.

I don't know, it does feel a bit weird and jarring, Mafia 3 did the same too.

They really struck a great combination here. The gameplay is amazingly smooth and the gameplay mechanics all work flawlessly. Then there is the immersive world, good writing, good build up, etc. And yes, it just looks fucking bonkers. The game was the first thing on mind today. Well, almost. But one of the first things. And that doesn't happen often anymore. Can't wait to play some more today.

valkyre

If you remember, could you maybe provide a link to these posts please, because navigating this thread for this thing will be hard...

Don't you guys think the cutscenes are a little awkward ?

It's like the sound mix is off ... or they lack good direction. But they're often awkwardly quiet.
Some of the subquests are.

Thankfully looks like the ones related to the main story is top notch. Barring the wooden animation, it looks almost like CG quality at times.

JJShadow

Aw man, being stucked at work for 9 hours knowing that this game is waiting for you back home really sucks. Only had the chance to play 3 hours yesterday and I cannot stop thinking about it, productivity completely ruined lol

MikeBison

Wow. Was initially hyped for the game, then it deflated as we got closer to release. Then reviews re-pumped me and got me to keep my pre-order. Played around 4 hours last night on a Pro/Oled 4k and it's blowing my tits off.

But away from how it looks, it just plays great. A really great, tactile feel to the bow and the other weapons. A mark of a good open world game is when you enjoy fighting the mobs. And this is someone who is totally burnt out on open world really.

The voice acting is REALLY impressing me and Aloy is a fantastic character. She is super cheeky and doesn't take any shit. Of course some of the side quests have flatter dialogue, but for the most part it's very impactful. The story is hooking me in. Such and interesting world they've created and I honestly didn't think they had it in them as devs, kudos. The chat from Jeff Gerstmann has made more even more excited to see where this story goes.

Another mention deserves to go to some of the diversification i've seen early on. Even from the first couple of hours there are a refreshing amount of POC with great animation and voice acting and don't feel like tokens. I don't know how to verbalise this point properly without butchering it, but it just feels a bit more inclusive, even in the early going.

Edit: Holy shit, and the speed of the menu's and the loading! Tech wizards these guys and gals are!

zulux21

Disc version? I'm on digital and it's quiet as a grave.

it doesn't matter on the ps4, both digital and disk are played off the hard drive.
digital you download, disk merely installs from the disk.
aside from a check to make sure the disk is there at the start the disk shouldn't run while playing the game.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I've got a good feeling about this one. Spent a couple of hours last night roaming around the starting area hunting, foraging, doing the side-quests and just enjoying the world. It makes a very good first impression.

Only a couple of small negatives for me. Sometimes Aloy kind of feels disconnected from the environment, like when jumping onto a waist high boulder or running through water, and the facial animation during cutscenes is just a touch wooden.

Apart from those small niggles, I really enjoyed my first feel of the game. It plays well, the story intrigues me and the setting is beautiful. Looking forward to getting back into it. Think I'll go with a pure forager build for now, see how that works out.

WITHE1982

So what's the consensus on the difficulty? I do like having some challenge so I'm wondering if I should play this on normal, hard or very hard.

Are there any differences other than the usual things, such as damage dealt and received? Apparently, we get less items from looting?

I agree with most on here. I started on normal but after roughly 11 hours I'd not come close to dying. I then upped it to hard and It now offers a fair challenge, plus the danger of dying is making the bigger encounters much more enjoyable.

nOoblet16

This god damn fox skin !! So difficult to get.

This is one bit that I don't like how crafting is handled in this game. It's important because it is required for upgrade much like Farcry, however unlike Farcry there is no guarantee that you will get that material by skinning that animal as stuff like fox skin are RNG.

Adding to that matter foxes themselves are RNG as there is no telling where and when you'll find them. Contrast this again to how Farcry does it where you might find an animal anywhere on map but you have the highest chance of finding them at a specific location in a map where they are most concentrated and that location is marked on the map, much like how this game does for machines. Unfortunately not for animals...despite them being important for crafting.

This god damn fox skin !! So difficult to get.

This is one bit that I don't like how crafting is handled in this game. It's important because it is required for upgrade much like Farcry, however unlike Farcry there is no guarantee that you will get that material by skinning that animal as stuff like fox skin are RNG.

Adding to that matter foxes themselves are RNG as there is no telling where and when you'll find them. Contrast this again to how Farcry does it where you might find an animal anywhere on map but you have the highest chance of finding them at a specific location in a map where they are most concentrated and that location is marked on the map, much like how this game does for machines. Unfortunately not for animals...despite them being important for crafting.

Yeah, I've been looking for racoon bones for hours without luck. I'm not really focused on it though, just roaming around doing business as usual while keeping my eyes on racoons and kill when I see one.

This game does so many things so well that it will be hard to go back towards other open world games and, dare I say, The Witcher 3. We all know that TW3 repeatedly got hated for the combat and the lack of fluidity.

There's nothing like that in here. Nothing but high praise for Guerilla from me. Every talented developer can create an immense open world, but creating a game where the controls feel like second nature is not something a lot of games can do.

Not to forget that Aloy is an incredibly satisfying character to watch. Eidos Montreal had Lara Croft. They rebooted the entire franchise but failed to create an interesting 'refurbished' character. Guerilla gets one shot and they succeed. I applaud them for it.

I can't wait to jump back in tonight.

Slaythe

The fast load times are so cool.

Really makes it fun to die and retry on very hard.

This game does so many things so well that it will be hard to go back towards other open world games and, dare I say, The Witcher 3. We all know that TW3 repeatedly got hated for the combat and the lack of fluidity.

There's nothing like that in here. Nothing but high praise for Guerilla from me. Every talented developer can create an immense open world, but creating a game where the controls feel like second nature is not something a lot of games can do.

Not to forget that Aloy is an incredibly satisfying character to watch. Eidos Montreal had Lara Croft. They rebooted the entire franchise but failed to create an interesting 'refurbished' character. Guerilla gets one shot and they succeed. I applaud them for it.

I can't wait to jump back in tonight.

Yeah this game has a lot going on for it, and on top of that it has an extremely fun and impressive gameplay. It's like two different teams combined their strength. (world buliding and combat)

Witcher 3 is still incredible to play for its story and quests though, but I admit I'm completely ignoring the battles because they suck.

Playsage

Fought and defeated my first Thunderjaw! The fucker has a shit ton of health! The fight killed my potion pocket :(
One of his charges took something like 300+ health while I was wearing the Heavy Nora Protector

Played about 90 minutes last night before bed - just up to before
Aloy participates in the tournament thingy
. A few thoughts so far, which are probably easier in bullet-point format:

• I really, really like the intro. I've got a five month old baby and the very subtle bond Rost had with Aloy leading up to her naming ceremony was very sweet.
  • Aloy is great so far. She has just the right amount of sarcasm without going overboard, she's a strong a positive person, she's proactive and she does the right thing. She's perhaps a little more chatty during gameplay than I would like though - is there a way to turn this off?
  • The game world is beautiful and feels great to explore. I like that there's real wildlife as well as the machines and it has really nice environmental variety while feeling plausible and realistic (reminds me quite a bit of Red Dead Redemption).
  • Needless to say, it is almost incomprehensibly beautiful. It may not be quite as beautiful as Uncharted 4 but the fact that this is open world is a far more impressive achievement.
  • The dialogue seems tight and voice acting has been very good overall. Compared to both being pretty awful in Killzone, Guerrilla have really stepped their game up in this regard.
  • RPG systems are also very decent and I like that everything is fast-paced. The dialogue wheel is great, and again this is all very slick and impressive for their first effort in the genre.

Overall, these are obviously early impressions, but very impressed so far.

first cauldron sigma

started out weird as fuck
then i get to the end
I was so unprepared, so very unprepared
it was a fun clusterfuck, i wasted a lot of stuff on it

at first i thought the shellwaker on it was a bit of a challenge, but then the bellowback was RELENTLESS, WOULDNT STOP ATTACKING ME

level 8 YA FUCKING RIGHT

Humorously enough, I
skipped the shellwalker but beat the bellowback. Level 8 Cauldron my butt; that shellwalker was kicking my ass! xD~~

BeeDog

Played about 90 minutes last night before bed - just up to before
Aloy participates in the tournament thingy
. A few thoughts so far, which are probably easier in bullet-point format:

• I really, really like the intro. I've got a five month old baby and the very subtle bond Rost had with Aloy leading up to her naming ceremony was very sweet.
  • Aloy is great so far. She has just the right amount of sarcasm without going overboard, she's a strong a positive person, she's proactive and she does the right thing. She's perhaps a little more chatty during gameplay than I would like though - is there a way to turn this off?
  • The game world is beautiful and feels great to explore. I like that there's real wildlife as well as the machines and it has really nice environmental variety while feeling plausible and realistic (reminds me quite a bit of Red Dead Redemption).
  • Needless to say, it is almost incomprehensibly beautiful. It may not be quite as beautiful as Uncharted 4 but the fact that this is open world is a far more impressive achievement.
  • The dialogue seems tight and voice acting has been very good overall. Compared to both being pretty awful in Killzone, Guerrilla have really stepped their game up in this regard.
  • RPG systems are also very decent and I like that everything is fast-paced. The dialogue wheel is great, and again this is all very slick and impressive for their first effort in the genre.

Overall, these are obviously early impressions, but very impressed so far.

And to hear the majority of GAF members saying the game just keeps getting better and better (and MUCH better outside of the introductory area) is making me super-happy.

One other thing; I was dreading the Brom quest after hearing how terrible the VA was in it. Lo and behold, while it wasn't good it wasn't as disastrous as I expected it to be. Maybe the super-positive impression of the intro rubbed off on this quest.

WaterAstro

Holy crap, the game has a fucking missable?

Please, open world devs, stop copying Assassin's Creed garbage design making powerful items gated by near-end story.

And to hear the majority of GAF members saying the game just keeps getting better and better (and MUCH better outside of the introductory area) is making me super-happy.

One other thing; I was dreading the Brom quest after hearing how terrible the VA was in it. Lo and behold, while it wasn't good it wasn't as disastrous as I expected it to be. Maybe the super-positive impression of the intro rubbed off on this quest.

Yeah, I'd heard about a bit of bad dialogue and assumed that was the part (was mostly on a media blackout), but it wasn't nearly as bad as I had heard. The guy was obviously severely mentally handicapped, and considering that I thought it was okay. It's probably hard to write and voice something like that convincingly.

That doesn't matter - disc version is also installed on HDD

Except that it does matter because the disc still spins even though it's installed on the HDD.

lonerism

Yesterday I died like 4 times to that "watcher" robot, sorry forgot it's name

Can't I kill them with arrows? I mean, I hit it with 2-3 arrows (in the weak spot, it's eyes) and they still come after me and kill me :(

And my spear seems kinda op, is it normal?

danowat

Banned
Am I the only one noticing some of the weird technical issues?, I know it may come over as a nit pick, but some of them are quite jarring.

Flapping and jumping clothing, some of the clothing on NPC's during cut scenes has a mind of it's own, and it will jump up and down on it's own like it's alive!.

Phasing in and out of NPC characters during cutscenes, some of the background characters have a tendency to phase in and out of the scene.

Also, and this is more general to games as a whole, I really don't get the "interaction for the sake of interaction" items in games, like warming your hands on the fire, or greet Nora mother, or other such things (flushing toilets in other games etc), I get that it fleshes to world out, but I just never bother with any of it.

Makikou

Can't I kill them with arrows? I mean, I hit it with 2-3 arrows (in the weak spot, it's eyes) and they still come after me and kill me :(

Uhh even at the start of the game you can oneshot a Watcher by shooting in in the eye (it's weakspot).

You actually need to hit the eye though.

All of the machines have weak spots. Use your focus ability to see the parts that glow.

Your spear being op is obsolete quite fast. I wouldn't suggest using it on a sawtooth.

lcap

Man, the Digital Deluxe outfit with physical damage resistance feels like cheating. It's Night and day difference for impact damage. Do I get a better one soon?

Makikou

All of the machines have weak spots. Use your focus ability to see the parts that glow.

Your spear being op is obsolete quite fast. I wouldn't suggest using it on a sawtooth.

I think the spear is pretty good to deal critical damage on downed enemies though (You need the skill unlocked for it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom