• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
The lighting in this game is breathtaking.

C56WRhQVMAAdq9v.jpg:large

danowat

Banned
I stupidly clicked a spoiler tag in another thread about Aloy being a strong protag, ended spoilt.

I shoulda known better, but I wish people would at least mention it's a completely game spoiling spoiler.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Quick question, why can't I seem to increase the counter for the 'training quests' for new weapons ?

I bought a precision bow and have taken out a few watchers with the arrow to the eye but the counter still says 0. Does this need to be done in stealth ?

zulux21

Quick question, why can't I seem to increase the counter for the 'training quests' for new weapons ?

I bought a precision bow and have taken out a few watchers with the arrow to the eye but the counter still says 0. Does this need to be done in stealth ?

it needs to be done as the active quest.

zulux21

I think I had it as active but will check again. Thanks.

if you didn't then I am not sure, but it's a common issue with the weapons that people don't get progress with the quest because it isn't active.

it's dumb in general but a small gripe for a game that does so many other things so well.

Dynasty

I stupidly clicked a spoiler tag in another thread about Aloy being a strong protag, ended spoilt.

I shoulda known better, but I wish people would at least mention it's a completely game spoiling spoiler.

That's why I tend to stay out all threads except the OT, of a game Im currently playing. I learnt this the hard way with Uncharted 4.

Loudninja

Yeah I avoided the post you guys mention, man people are so careless.

Yeah, that's a fucking dick move a day after the game has goddamn released. Feel bad for you dude.

Damn, that sucks. Yea, people suck with spoilers.

Apt101

So what's the consensus on the difficulty? I do like having some challenge so I'm wondering if I should play this on normal, hard or very hard.

Are there any differences other than the usual things, such as damage dealt and received? Apparently, we get less items from looting?

I am not very far in, I didn't get a chance to play after my second marathon session. But 15-ish hours in, on normal, and I have not died. I've been through numerous fights against three or more mechs, including some large mean ones, and with just a little ingenuity and quick aiming came out OK.

If you like a challenge I'd say it needs to be played on at least hard.

Lmao, I guess I have a bad aim

Thank you

If you the special edition you can get a free bow from the first merchant (treasure box) that hits a great deal harder than your starter bow, even unmodified. It can help.

cooldawn

There are some comparison shoots a few (a lot) of pages back, the general consensus is, overall, it looks better in 1080p on performance.

Whether this is by design, or a bug / issue, is unknown.

Best thing to do, is try it for yourself and switch between the two.
Yeah...I looked at those and didn't feel the difference is enough. I though you may have spotted some additional/enhanced visual features rather than just a sharper/cleaner picture.

Cheers though.

Ardenyal

Fuck i love the combat in this game. Some forward thinking can make an impossible seeming fight go your way without taking a single hit.

Carcetti

I'm not sure which post and thread you saw but I noticed a thread with the old 4chan fake spoilers under a tag, though. You might've seen those. People were inventing really stupid plot twists before the review copies were even out.

Impulsor

About the "missable" trophy:
All Allies Joined

what a stupid trophy to include in an open world action rpg adventure game, limiting your choices in such a way to be able to get that trophy.

I'm like 10 hours in and I think I already screwed it up.

danowat

Banned
I've finished the game and every side activity so I could tell you in yes or no terms if that's a fake spoiler in PM or something if you want.

I think I'll leave it thanks, just having the air of mystery that it may or may not be true is enough ambiguity for me!

Carcetti

I think I'll leave it thanks, just having the air of mystery that it may or may not be true is enough ambiguity for me!

Sounds like a good choice. And for the record, yeah, I've seen about 3 or 4 different fake endings listed as leaks on various forums, enjoy the ambiguity!

All Allies Joined

what a stupid trophy to include in an open world action rpg adventure game, limiting your choices in such a way to be able to get that trophy.

I don't think it's actually missable so don't stress it. If you want to know why, late game spoilers ahead:
after the final mission the world state reverts back to where it was before you started the final mission so you can try it again as many times as you like. So you can complete the side quests at your leisure and then try the final mission again for the trophy to pop.

Kill3r7

All Allies Joined

Ditto. Especially for an ARPG.

I don't think it's actually missable so don't stress it. If you want to know why, late game spoilers ahead:
after the final mission the world state reverts back to where it was before you started the final mission so you can try it again as many times as you like. So you can complete the side quests at your leisure and then try the final mission again for the trophy to pop.

Good to know.

Same thing happening to me lol. Level 17 and main mission is level 7 lol

Same here. There is no rush to do the main story missions. There are tons of other points of interest on the map.

m@cross

Just started this last night. I like it, but I am worried it will be too similar to AC games. I am still in the first area and mostly hunted and killed things so far, but it feels similar in design. Still excited to play it and will probably enjoy it, but I am hoping it opens up as I play on.

Impulsor

That would mean that
it reverts back to how it was before beating the final mission, with all sidequests completed, so If I did not recruit an ally even if finishing the sidequest, it will still be finished after finishing the game, wont it?

Carcetti

I'm pretty sure the trophy's not actually missable. Just check the wording.

Given Aloy's actions, all possible optional allies joined the defense.

]"That would mean that it reverts back to how it was before beating the final mission, with all sidequests completed, so If I did not recruit an ally even if finishing the sidequest, it will still be finished after finishing the game, wont it?"
The final mission reappears in your quest log after you've finished the story and credits have rolled so you can finish the side stuff in peace.

RefigeKru

Banned
I'm level 17 now, playing on Very hard, barely any HUD, Headphones, Spliff.

I honestly think this is one of the greatest games ever created. No joke.

Impulsor

I'm pretty sure the trophy's not actually missable. Just check the wording.

Given Aloy's actions, all possible optional allies joined the defense.

]"That would mean that it reverts back to how it was before beating the final mission, with all sidequests completed, so If I did not recruit an ally even if finishing the sidequest, it will still be finished after finishing the game, wont it?"
The final mission reappears in your quest log after you've finished the story and credits have rolled so you can finish the side stuff in peace.

I'd assume then that the requirements for the trophy are dynamic, depending on your actions?

Hagi

Hmm the writing in this is really clunky so far. I'm just at the point where the world opens up and everything story wise has been interesting but there's something off with the execution.

Hopefully the more I play I'll get into it better. The gameplay has been really cool and it looks gorgeous.

Carcetti

I'd assume then that the requirements for the trophy are dynamic, depending on your actions?

Yes, I assume so because (vague side quest spoiler)
some major NPC can die based on choices so they wouldn't be able to join.

No restriction on how to kill it ?

I haven't noticed any. Just that I had to walk to maybe 3 different sites at maximum to get heart from those I was hunting at that point.

Carcetti

Pro tip: Tear arrows make life easy, eventhough they don't really do much if any damage.

Yeah, I think most powerful weapons against the robots are the Tear arrows, various blast sling projectiles, and ropecaster. A tear arrow does insane work if you mod it with 3 purple +40% tear coils, same with 3xpurple damage modded blast sling. I'd have those 3 equipped most of the time, switching the 4th slot around.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Loving the audio logs and every other lore building piece I find.

I keep getting subtle vibes of Talos Principle and SOMA.

This game exudes pure confidence and you can tell Guerrilla was on a creative high when they set out to make it.

Right down to things like having a fixed camera sensitivity.

They just knew what clicked.

BTW, this is the first time I'd recommend playing a game on the hardest setting from the get go.

The feeling of hunting and surviving are elevated by the ferocity and variety of enemy attacks, which coupled with Aloy's moves, give way to some of the best "fuck yeah, girl." moments in recent memory.

Mounting that broadhorn strider thing had me feeling like goddamn Ashitaka (princess mononoke) :p

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The first battle outside the embrace was hard. I died a few times. I was like why isn't this press x to win

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom