• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Impulsor

Yes, I assume so because (vague side quest spoiler)
some major NPC can die based on choices so they wouldn't be able to join.

I haven't noticed any. Just that I had to walk to maybe 3 different sites at maximum to get heart from those I was hunting at that point.

If you mean
Nil
it seems like it isn't required for the trophy.

This game has been great so far. Really enjoying my time with it and it looks amazing. Just one of the images I took in photo mode:

l4mRmv7.jpg

Yes, I assume so because (vague side quest spoiler)
some major NPC can die based on choices so they wouldn't be able to join.

I haven't noticed any. Just that I had to walk to maybe 3 different sites at maximum to get heart from those I was hunting at that point.

I killed 10 (in game stats) and still no heart. My RNG must be super incredibly bad and I have Scavenger + skill enable.

13 kills : got my first. HEY that's not slow and boring !

nOoblet16

Sup Nooblet. Which bow are these arrows for? The Sharpshooter ones?
Yea sharpshooter bow.
Tear arrows are basically concussion arrows that knock off enemy parts/armour within seconds so that you don't have to spend 5 minutes shooting at the parts to take it down.

Kazdane

Super early game question: is there any point going back
to the first ruins you visit with Aloy as a child if you've gathered all the recordings from the bodies? I went back there and, apparently, there was a machine lurking around, but I couldn't find it, nor anything new

Carcetti

to the first ruins you visit with Aloy as a child if you've gathered all the recordings from the bodies? I went back there and, apparently, there was a machine lurking around, but I couldn't find it, nor anything new

Emphatic yes.

You can enter rooms you couldn't before because spear smashes the stalactite formations in doorways and you can find very interesting stuff.

Also, the damage over time increases the more hits you land. Pump 3-4 in and watch the damage ramp up.

Also, buy the snapshot bow. It has precision point arrows that are both more accurate and more powerful.

The sawtooth is aggressive but light him up with a fast succession of fire arrows and then put precision shots between his eyes. These will cause him to stumble or even stun him. Onxe stunned criticals will deal hide damage.

Finally crank up your hunter bow with fire coils to get extra burn from the fire.

Ok, I loaded back into the area but I still cant fucking concentrate with the damn Sawtooth on my ass. Is there any upper ground I can climb to that I can fire from?

WITHE1982

I have been itching to play some Horizon since I woke up.

I haven't had this feeling in a long time; this is special game.

Same here.

I was up at 7am this morning doing a few side quests before work. I think the last games that had me doing that were The Witcher 3 and vanilla Destiny (before I lost interest).

Guerrilla have created something really special here.

Yes, yes, yes.
There's a collectable in there that unlocks a very special item later in the game.
* very vague collectable spoiler

ced

Is the game designed well enough to be able to disable waypoints? When disabled are they still marked on the map?

danowat

Banned
I'm intrigued by Orin, I am assuming that he is going to become a pivotal character at some point, he almost reminds me of Varys from GoT......

Carcetti

What do you think are the best 4 weapons to hold on you?

Rarest version you can get of:

1. Sharpshooter bow (kills humans from afar and destroys the most dangerous parts on biggest machines)
2. Ropecaster (ties down machines)

Then it's debatable but...

3. Blast Sling (highest damage weapon though the ammo can get scarce)
4. Either hunter bow (fire arrows and cheap, easy killing of animals for skins and meat) or tripcaster (shock and fire ropes)

As for rest

Corruption arrows on War Bow are insanely good and safe against the biggest enemy groups in late game but only if modded since it takes lots of arrows otherwise.

Rattler is amazing against humans especially in early game and you can get fast shock on some machines.

Tearcaster is very situational due to range and loses to Tear arrows.

I think the regular elemental Sling was weakest weapon for me but it could've been my playstyle. I assume they would work great against some weak spots but haven't tested it that much.

For me the Nora Silent Hunter Heavy armor was the best early investment, though. It lets you decide when you fight and when you don't.

nOoblet16

I never used slings cause they are shit, you need to be close range and they aren't accurate so fuck it. It does nothing that arrows don't already do.

Yes, there is something there that would help you get something good later on.

Ferr986

lol I tried to go back to (really early spoilers)
that ruins as adult Aloy
but couldn't find them lol

guess I know what I'm doing tonight.

WITHE1982

lol I tried to go back to (really early spoilers)
that ruins as adult Aloy
but couldn't find them lol

guess I know what I'm doing tonight.

They're marked on your map with a green icon. When you hover over it will say "ruins".

Slap bang in the centre of this image.

<<<small section of map (marked as spoiler just in case)>>>
Where-To-Find-The-First-Power-Cell-In-Horizon-Zero-Dawn-Ruins-900x506.jpg

Rarest version you can get of:

1. Sharpshooter bow (kills humans from afar and destroys the most dangerous parts on biggest machines)
2. Ropecaster (ties down machines)

Then it's debatable but...

3. Blast Sling (highest damage weapon though the ammo can get scarce)
4. Either hunter bow (fire arrows and cheap, easy killing of animals for skins and meat) or tripcaster (shock and fire ropes)

As for rest

Corruption arrows on War Bow are insanely good and safe against the biggest enemy groups in late game but only if modded since it takes lots of arrows otherwise.

Rattler is amazing against humans especially in early game and you can get fast shock on some machines.

Tearcaster is very situational due to range and loses to Tear arrows.

I think the regular elemental Sling was weakest weapon for me but it could've been my playstyle. I assume they would work great against some weak spots but haven't tested it that much.
Interesting since I'm currently not liking the ropecaster.

Right now I was thinking I would go:
Hunter Bow (regular damage + fire damage)
War Bow (shock + ice + corrupt)
Sharpshot Bow (long range high damage kills)
Tripcast (trap setting)

Thanks for our write up. I might get the silent nora armor soon, and I was worried that the tearbaster was a must. I'm glad to here it is just so-so.

Same here.

I was up at 7am this morning doing a few side quests before work. I think the last games that had me doing that were The Witcher 3 and vanilla Destiny (before I lost interest).

Guerrilla have created something really special here.

Yep :)

I was up till 4am last night. The last game to keep me up like this was The Last of Us.

Each robot dino encounter is better than the last.

Carcetti

Interesting since I'm currently not liking the ropecaster.

Right now I was thinking I would go:
Hunter Bow (regular damage + fire damage)
War Bow (shock + ice + corrupt)
Sharpshot Bow (long range high damage kills)
Tripcast (trap setting)

Thanks for our write up. I might get the silent nora armor soon, and I was worried that the tearbaster was a must. I'm glad to here it is just so-so.

I've been talking to some friends who also got the game and they played it completely different! I think it's also one of the strengths of the game that you can pretty much pick your own playstyle and find one that works for you. I think I pretty much ignored cold damage too much and that probably made some fights harder than they would've been otherwise.

Also, later/heavier/rarest ropecasters are more effective and need less ropes so there's that. And ropecaster is OP vs the most annoying enemy class, not gonna spoil it here in case you haven't seen it, but it's pretty much the Cliff Racer of Horizon.

Ferr986

They're marked on your map with a green icon. When you hover over it will say "ruins".

Slap bang in the centre of this image.

<<<small section of map (marked as spoiler just in case)>>>
Where-To-Find-The-First-Power-Cell-In-Horizon-Zero-Dawn-Ruins-900x506.jpg

Thanks! How could I miss that... even when I was doing side quests there lol

Kazdane

Emphatic yes.

You can enter rooms you couldn't before because spear smashes the stalactite formations in doorways and you can find very interesting stuff.

Yes, yes, yes.
There's a collectable in there that unlocks a very special item later in the game.
* very vague collectable spoiler

Yes, there is something there that would help you get something good later on.

Aha! I didn't notice that. Thanks to all three, looks like I'll have to go back there again :)

Is the game designed well enough to be able to disable waypoints? When disabled are they still marked on the map?

Yes and yes.

This game is one of the better open world games when it comes to the HUD less experience. Aloys narration can basically guide you around the world and quests without having to pull up the map or quest log.

It's seriously amazing.

X-Frame

Just got to work. Can't wait to get home and play already.

I'm like replaying my encounters in my mind from last night, realizing where I made mistakes and what I should change next time. It's like I am mentally preparing for a sport rematch.

bosseye

Emphatic yes.

Oh dayum, I didn't realise. I went back and had a look around, Aloy even comments on your presence in there, but I never thought to try that. Now I feel dumb. I'll do this tonight!

I've played maybe 2 hours or so, still in the starting area, just got the
Tripcaster
. The story and lore and environment is hugely intriguing already, really looking forward to seeing how it pans out.

Combat is fantastic, even with my limited options, it feels really punchy and consequential.

Visually, obviously its stunning. Absolutely incredible. I have a few very nit picky nit picks, but I'm not going to even bother listing as its almost churlish given how good it looks and how well it runs on my Pro in '4K' HDR. I even think the water isn't too bad - running water I think actually looks really good!

Genuinely can't wait to play again which is a nice feeling.

EDIT: I need to have a play with the HUD settings. I've got it all on dynamic at the moment which I thought turned stuff off until you need it, but I've always got healing items etc highlighted and the compass on etc etc. I rather like the HUD stuff in many ways, I find it relatively elegant, but I want to have most of it off to increase the immersion a bit.

God, I LOVE the ropecaster. It's certainly made some of the bigger guys easier,.

I've found a good use for all of the weapons so far.

DrBo42

Few hours in and I'm really tired of the Nora and their idiotic zealot bullshit, haha. Just got past the
first longneck climb and recover of the previous warchief
Any chance I'll leave these fools behind? Can't say I care about anyone but Aloy at this point. Also kinda hating human combat.

Gudji

I have been itching to play some Horizon since I woke up.

I haven't had this feeling in a long time; this is special game.

No doubt man. And the story for me is great, something that other open world games just never seem to get it right.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Dragging today after staying up way to late playing this last night. So much to see and do once you leave the Embrace.

I'm a big Zelda fan, and honestly have no temptation to drop this to play Zelda. Just an incredible game that's sucked me in like few others.

Mathieran

Banned
Climbed my first tall neck and took out my first bandit camp this morning. They were fun, although not difficult. Having your surroundings move around as you climb up is pretty awesome and somehow made it feel new. Bandit camp was easy but it was fun. Head shots with arrows is one of my favorite things in gaming so there was plenty for me to enjoy. Also took out a corruption zone too.

Loving the drip feed of lore I'm getting so far. I especially liked a transcript of a right wing radio show from the future. Also liked exploring Devil's Thirst. Lots of cool stuff to see so far.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
only played a little bit. I am just about to do the
ritual
but having been wandering around just exploring a bit and doing a couple of side quests.

I did embarass myself though - I'm a grown man with a teenage son, but I was playing and got to the section very early on where you have to fight a
Sawtooth
? something like that anyway. So I was in the long grass and it was wandering past very close to me. I was waiting for it to go past so I could run behind it and up a hill. But just as it went past and I stood up, it suddenly turned and looked right at me - must have been only a couple of feet away from Aloy. I literally squealed out loud and ran away as fast as I can. Much to the amusement of my son.

I am REALLY loving the sling. You usually just need 1 slingshot of whatever element type the machine is weak too and you'll drop it into a stunned state. After that, I just give them an arrow barrge for cleanup.

It's really great how versitile all the weapons feel in this game. So many unique ways to approach situations.

Dave_6

Is anyone here playing this on an LG E6 (or B6/C6)? What picture settings are you using?

With my B6, I'm using the default HDR game settings except for changing color gamut from wide to normal. Then turn off any post processing, like edge enhancement, true motion etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom